[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been going back and playing old school fps pc games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Painkiller.jpg (17KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
Painkiller.jpg
17KB, 460x215px
I've been going back and playing old school fps pc games that I missed out on. I'd really like some recommendations from /v/ on some must play fps. I just beat painkiller black and fucking loved it. I'd really love some games where bunnyhopping is thing. Keep it singleplayer please.

So far I've played
>Quake 1&2
>Turok 1&2
>Return to Castle Wolfenstein
>>
Serious Sam
>>
>>376591384
Try FEAR if you haven't played that one yet.
AvP2 is pretty good too, although it's not an arena shooter, and is more story focused.
>>
>>376591384
Blood
>>
>>376591384
I still don't get what bunnyhopping is
>>
>>376592061
>>376591384
It's called strafe-jumping.
>>
>>376592002
How do you play this on a modern machine?

I tried playing through dos recently but the controls feel so dated
>>
>>376591904
First post best post. Also Prey, the old one. Is fantastic. Condemned as well if first person puncher works too
>>
>>376591904
>>376591935
Played both of these series and honestly forgot to list them.
>>376592002
Ive seen this posted a lot /v/ but I think its Dos based and I'm probably too retarded to figure out how to play it on 1920x1080
>>376592061
Constantly jumping to maintain momentum. I always called it bhopping cause I played tf2 for like 3000 hours.
>>376592275
I got it from GoG and it worked perfectly.
>>
>>376592361
Is Prey on the pc? I had it on the 360 but never looked elsewhere.
>>
>>376592448
I only had the 360 one but yeah according to Wikipedia.
>>
>>376592534
Awesome! I've always wanted to replay it.
>>
>>376591384
Soldier of Fortune
No one lives forever
>>
>>376592592
I played SoF 1 on the pc but played 2 autistically on the xbox. Is it better on the pc?
>>
>>376592592
>>376592659
Also I beat NOLF 1 but havent touched the sequels. Not sure if theyre any good.
>>
The Far Cry's on Xbox are pretty fun from what I remember
>>
Duke 3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior if you haven't played those.

Heretic and Hexen are also worth checking out.
>>
>>376593807
OG shadow warrior or the remake? I played the remake and loved it to death and hated the sequel. Also I've been very curious about hexin and heretic, could you elaborate on why they're good games?
>>
Marathon. Halo's predecessor
>>
>>376594026
Holy shit, I completely forgot about Marathon. I played Durandel's rerelease on the 360 years ago.
>>
>>376593886
I'm the oposite case, I didn't like the new one but loved the original Shadow Warrior.

Heretic is basically fantasy Doom with a few added extras like usable items.

Hexen is a bit weird. You can pick between 3 classes who all have different weapons (3 weapons and a 4th BFG type weapon which you need to assemble over time) and there's a LOT of keyhunting. I guarantee that you're gonna open up a walkthrough at least once on your first playthrough. But despite all that I enjoyed it, maybe because there aren't that many straight up fantasy FPS games. I would heavily recommend the mod Hexercise which makes some enemies less tedious and the combat way more fun
>>
File: 1479303154153.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1479303154153.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
F.E.A.R.

expansions kinda suck but the base game is amazing (they all come bundled together in the Steam version)
>>
>>376594354
>expansions kinda suck
I'll fight you, Extraction Point was my jam

Perseus Mandate was kinda shit though I can't defend that
>>
>>376591384
F.E.A.R
Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death
Dark Forces & Jedi Knight Games
Republic Commando
Unreal Gold
Postal 2 (Mainly for some of the mods)

There are also a TON of Half-life 1 & 2 mods that are must plays.
>>
>>376594227
Thank you! I'll try em all out just in case. Although that Hexen weapon sounds a lot like that spear shit from Toruk. Im sure they did it first and all but im just drawing comparisons.
>>376594354
I played the entire F.E.A.R series on release and I still redownload the first one every now and again. Still a fantastic shooter. IMO Q&E leaning needs to be the base for every FPS cover system ever because its the most simple and reliable.
>>376594498
I played Unreal tournament a long ass time ago, how is Unreal in comparison?
>>
>>376594354
That cat looks very comfy.
>>
File: descent wall.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
descent wall.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/download-dxx-rebirth/
https://mega.co.nz/#!R5kGAYYR!fa2YFqedgOgZotSTQYNtS_pL8N97oh2V1vgjTfDDtsE
https://mega.co.nz/#!l9MkQBCb!fpn7bt9Nn6vy9-Py49v7tzVXGKPPSUwLuDy4AEbgwC8
>>
>>376595086
I always wanted to play this series! Thanks, bro.
>>
>>376591384
My older favorites:
>Heretic 1
It's a fantasy themed Doom Clone and it has a really good atmosphere. I grew up with the game, so I might be biased though. Hexen 1-2, a sequel/spin-off series exists, but it's a bit odd - it adds a lot of RPG like elements, and I don't think all of them work as well as they should have.
>Blood
It has some issues, but the weapons in this game are fun as fuck.
>Redneck Rampage
Stupid and ugly game, but kinda hillarious at times.

I kinda missed out on old Shadow Warrior, but I've heard it's good. There is also an FPS/RPG hybrid in Doom engine called Strife, which I heard isn't bad.

Newever:
>Painkiller
is awesome. The first expansion was good too.
Everything released post the first expansion is nearly unplayably bad.

>Serious Sam
First and Second Encounter are awesome. Serious Sam 3 (BFE) is good too. Just stay away from Serious Sam 2.

>Half-life 1/2
For all the hipsterism and ragging on them, HL series is still some of the best shooters ever made, especially when it comes to enviromnetal design, art direction and narrative integration

>FEAR
It's fun. The story, level design and environments are absolutely attrocious, the game is too easy on all difficulty settings and lacks variety, but god-dammit the gunplay is so satisfying that all of those issues can be easily forgiven.

>Jedi Knight 2: Outcast
Starts awful and slow, but gets gradually better and better, and ends up one of the best SW games out there.

>Unreal
It's widely unballanced in terms of quality of both gunplay and level-design, but it also has some of the best A.I. and environments I've ever seen. It's tough as nails though.
>>
>>376595912
>Redneck Rampage
I love that game, it has some silly problems and generally isn't as good as duke, sw or blood but i'd still say it's a must play for anyone
the rides again expansion is especially good
>>
Sauerbraten cube 2

No one talks about this game on here
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.