[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best 4X game? Particularly the subject of Endless Legend, Warlock,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: civilization5.jpg (650KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
civilization5.jpg
650KB, 1920x1080px
Best 4X game? Particularly the subject of Endless Legend, Warlock, Civ etc. Give me your thoughts.
>>
Never understood the love for Endless Legend.

4X is all about freedom to me and Endless Legend basically stonewalls each faction into predetermined route since it's a goofy 4X/RPG hybrid.
>>
GalCiv2 is yet to be beaten.
>>
>>376585210
thats my main complaint with endless legend, i wish there was a lot more flexibility with factions. it sucks playing necrophage and of course still working towards a military victory, but maybe i need to do some diplomacy early on. which is impossible with necrophage.
>>
>>376585210
You can create your own race though.

Besides, each race having it's own playstyle is exactly what I like about it.
>>
Aurora

I really need to play MOO(2) and more Stars!
>>
i think Civ3 and SMAC are the GOAT. CivVI might be nice when its finished.

also i find it strange that its kind of a dead genre apart from space 4x. civ is almost in a class of its own as "not space" 4x.
>>
>>376585654
Necrophage are the only faction that are limited to this degree, everyone else can basically do whatever they want, they just won't excel in it.
>>
>>376585507
galciv 3 though. Distant worlds universe.

dont get me wrong I loved galciv2 gold, bought it 3 times after i lost disks and then stardock got bought by lamestop and steam got it. But it's way to simplistic, galciv 3 at least makes me work with my empire, in 2 all I had to do was own enough planets to keep making money while beating heads in.
>>
>>376587020
SMAC would also be my vote. Wish the ai was a bit better though.
>>
File: Silicoidtech.jpg (37KB, 217x347px) Image search: [Google]
Silicoidtech.jpg
37KB, 217x347px
>>376585210
>>376585654
>some factions have extreme playstyles and restrict you heavily
>lets you create your own faction
What's the problem, one of the most iconic 4x of all time did it.
>>
I just want a good fantasy 4x
>>
>>376587778
I really like Endless Legend, but as you can see some people aren't super into it.
>>
File: Starwars.jpg (180KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Starwars.jpg
180KB, 500x375px
Star Wars Rebellion. Even did 3D space combat a good year before Homeworld.
>>
No love for warlock 2 - the exiled? A few minor hiccups but its a good game overall.
>>
i would have to say civ 5 with all expacs comes close

but best? still MoO2
>>
What about Stellaris?
It's in the humble monthly atm for 12$
>>
sword of the stars you retarded nigger
>>
File: mad furoggu.jpg (37KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
mad furoggu.jpg
37KB, 396x385px
>>376587020
>>376587219
>mfw Civilization hit it off as a series and not SMAC
>>
>>376590547
>What about Stellaris?

Is good. Being in the Monthly is obviously a "first taste is free" kind of deal just like Total War Warhammer recently. It's Paradox so you'll want expansions and Stellaris kinds needs the Utopia to flesh out mid-end game some more.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
197KB, 1920x1080px
>>376587203
GalCiv3 has the same problem Age of Wonders 3 had compared to its predecessor in a sense it simply lacks features and wants to sell them to you via DLC.
>>
File: 1441767809224.png (37KB, 202x374px) Image search: [Google]
1441767809224.png
37KB, 202x374px
>>376591094
>mfw Civ:BE was only kinda okay instead of great
>>
>>376590742
>Dead game
>Dead sequel
>>
>>376584986
Civ for me is the best of the bunch, haven't played VI yet but V with all expansions is still great fun

Warlock is just a clone of Civ for the most part but there are spells and the whole thing with the gods' favor and all that shit, I think it's another pretty fun game to waste a day on but I wish you could dial down a bit or even remove monsters entirely, just an optional thing like no barbarians in Civ, would make for a far better experience, as for Warlock 2 I also haven't played that one but I've heard it's very underwhelming

With the Endless games I actually enjoyed Endless Space more, they're both similar games in more than a couple mechanics but endless space just grabbed me more and made more sense too, felt like I was working towards something meaningful and had a chance against the AI, in Endless Legend I wasn't really sure what the fuck I was doing and the AI seemed to steamroll me at least when score is concerned

Finally there's Fallen Enchantress which is a big confusing mess to me since I have no idea what I'm doing in that one, and I dunno if it really fits but Age of Wonders III seems like a lot of fun but I haven't had the time to play it yet
>>
>>376584986
Is there any reason to play V over IV? It looks identical it pretty much all aspects.
>>
>>376584986
SMAC
MOO2
Master of Magic

Nothing else is as good as these.
>>
>>376591749
>Master of Magic

I wish there was a better successor than Warlock which was decidedly mediocre and forgettable.
>>
>>376591934
I find Age of Wonders is a better successor, but still not anywhere near as good as MoM
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.