[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit I'm so bad at RTS games, how do you keep track

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Holy shit I'm so bad at RTS games, how do you keep track of so many things all at once.
>>
By playing actually fun RTS games and not gookcraft.
>>
practice
>>
>>376570470
Don't play le esports games. No matter the genre.
>>
>>376570776
I thought because it was a staple of the genre it would be the best to start with

What RTS do you recommend for a beginner?
>>
>>376570926
Supreme Commander.

"Old school" RTS are not for everyone, it's alreight family.
>>
Ah I still remember that map after 20 years, good stuff.
>>
>>376572713
>supreme commander

>the game where you can totally fuck up your entire economy if you dont get your build orders right

Supreme Commander is great, but OP should probably start with something simpler like Age of Mythology
>>
>>376573069
Oh yeah, you're right.

I figured he wanted something more modern.

Also OP, try Dawn of War 1, it's something like Starcraft but a lot more fun.
>>
>>376570470
>>376570926

Starcraft is not a staple of RTS, it's not even a good RTS. It's a niche RTS that got popular because autistic fucking Koreans latched onto it and made it a national sport, and then retarded western e sports fags did the same.

Starcraft is not entry level, and certainly not good. The reason e sports fags love it is precisely why it's bad. The game is glitchy and overly complex requiring you to have to click around a million fucking times to do anything, and is needlessly complex simply and purely because of bad controls and artificial limits on unit selection. So these autists try to get good at it. The game is artificial difficulty. If you are new to RTS do not fucking play Starcraft, that would be like a person new to FPS trying to play Quake online, except Quake is actually good with good mechanics while Starcrafts complexity comes from bad controls and shitty arbitrary limitations.

Try Supreme Commander (or it's predecessor, Total Annihilation), one of the Command and Conquer games maybe (Red Alert if you want to see an older one, Generals if you want a more newer game) or maybe even Warcraft 3. Age of Empires 2 (thought this can also be a bit hard for newcommmers) or Rise of Nations for a more classical RTS experience while the former are combat orientated. You could also try Relic's games and try out Dawn of War or Company of Heroes, I recommend the first game in each of those series, both of these have better small scale unit combat that other RTS games.

If you like Company of Heroes, try out the Blitzkrieg mod, or just straight into the much more hardcore RTT, Men of War.

All of those will be good entry level, except for Men of War.
>>
>>376574779

Had to post to save the thread.

But another decent RTS for an entry level guy is Star Wars Empire at War, purely for space combat, the ground combat isn't good, but that space combat is worth it.

Also once you find a game you like OP, make sure to try out mods. RTS games generally have shit tons of good mods for them.
>>
>>376574885
Cool beans, I'll definitely have to check all those out eventually. I'll just keep trying to beat the story in SC for now though since I've already got into it.
>>
>>376570926
Try Original War. It also has a limited number of units (probably averaging around 12, though it can balloon if you manage to build a bunch of AI vehicles, though you won't do that for a while in the campaign at least) so you don't have to worry about having lots of units all over the map.
>>
>>376570470
that's why they're shit, no strategy, just APM
>>
>>376576030

You should just drop Starcraft and pick it up again later after you finished off a better RTS game.
>>
>>376576030
You should definitely do that. I'm not going to talk shit about the opinions of the other people in this thread, but it'll help you a lot having played SC1 first to form serious opinions about the quality of other RTS games.

Supreme Commander is an excellent game also.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.