[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you ever go back to a game you loved as a kid only to find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: dw3.png (672KB, 545x640px) Image search: [Google]
dw3.png
672KB, 545x640px
Did you ever go back to a game you loved as a kid only to find out it's fucking terrible?

Pic very much related, this game is fucking infuriating to play. The loading times and just general pace of the game is so fucking slow its basically unbearable. I had the patience of a saint as a child.
>>
>>376535224
who the fuck played a Digimon game? only the anime was good
>>
>>376535305
Kids who liked the anime.
>>
File: DickKickCityBitch.png (723KB, 755x498px) Image search: [Google]
DickKickCityBitch.png
723KB, 755x498px
>>376535305
>any Digimon anime but Tamers
>good
>>
>>376535548
Adventure was comfy as fuck.

I loved the idea of being transported to a strange and surreal world that's kind of like ours but twisted.
>>
>>376535224
I still love this game
suck a dick OP
>>
>>376535224
my problem with Digi games is that I want a partner like in the anime with a real personality
Demi Kids at least gave me that
>>
>>376535898
I thought I did too.

Then I actually played it.
>>
File: WargeyPUNCH.gif (2MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
WargeyPUNCH.gif
2MB, 500x280px
>>376535305
>He didn't play Digimon World 1

You must hate vidya
>>
>rented Digimon World as a kid
>didn't come with a manual
>had no idea what the fuck I was doing
>digimon ended up pooping all over the world

These days I could probably work out the mechanics but it's been almost 20 years since I last played it.
>>
I know that exact feeling.
Loved the hell out of DW3 as a kid, but when I replayed it a few years ago it was absolute agony.
Load times, slow animations, balance is shit, you get fuck-all exp and it's never worth fighting anything you can't one-shit, assloads of backtracking.

And yet it still holds a place in my heart for some reason, despite never wanting to play it ever again.
Music wasn't too bad though.
>>
File: blackandwhite.png (461KB, 1274x692px) Image search: [Google]
blackandwhite.png
461KB, 1274x692px
Pokemon White. I played it constantly as a kid, but when I tried to play it again recently I just could bear it.
>>
>>376536786
enjoy the ban
>>
>>376536290
You're better off playing re:digitize or next order.
Exact same gameplay but updated.
>>
>>376535305
You have literally no idea how much time I put into Digimon World 2
>>
Megaman X3, since I guess I held it in high regards due to always wanting it and could only rent it. Replayed it in the last year and it's really bad in comparison to how great X1 and X2 hold up.

>>376535224
Wouldn't emulation address some of the issues? I recall it had the awesome card game within it, but loading times should be something fixable with some options for later Playstations or PC tweaks, unless I'm grossly underestimating how bad the loading and animations were in that game
>>
File: b6ak2v.jpg (74KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
b6ak2v.jpg
74KB, 640x625px
>>376536290
Digimon World 1 is essential /Nobodyfinished/-core.

Fun fact: The European version has a glitch that makes the game literally unbeatable; yes, not even the people who made it bothered to playtest it to competition before shipping..
>>
>>376537140
Digimon World 2 was fun.
>>
>>376536574
>Music wasn't too bad though
I take that back, most of it was fairly generic.
Though I still like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYGOHPXT_w
>>
>>376535224
Spent an ungodly amount of time in Digimon World 4 and I mostly disliked it even back then due to the Korean levels of grinding.

I still occasionally load it up on Dolphin for old time's sake.
>>
>>376537968
>Digimon World 4

Isn't the difficulty in that game balanced around having 4 fucking players?

I remember playing it and thinking it was total bullshit so I returned it.
>>
>>376537968
>Digimon World 4
There was a fourth game? Holy shit I never knew
>>
>>376537702
I was fucking expert on digimon world 1 was a kid. Tough this day if i play again i will beat the game almost 100% on the first digimon, and when i was kid it took forever.
>Also played digimon 3 when younger, but i hated the fucking game at the time, kept playing anyway cause i was a retard
>>
>>376537968
>Digimon World 4

That was one of the weirdest games I've ever fucking played. When does a series go from party-based RPG gameplay to hack and slash dungeon-crawling? Digimon with equipped weapons was strange.
>>
>>376537702
Bullshit, I've beaten it and one of my friend has beaten it as a kid. And I remember replaying it with a emulator about 5 years ago. Though I can't say for sure which version I played.
>>
>>376535224
I play it February every even year.
It's a great game.
>>
>>376535305
if you talk shit about Battle Spirit 2 I'll fight you IRL
>>
File: 1455319757229.jpg (259KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
1455319757229.jpg
259KB, 520x520px
01 = Tamers > Savers > Xros > Frontier >>> 02
>>
Cyborg Justice on the Genesis was way more boring and full of bullshit than I remembered as a kid. Plus, the ability to rip your enemies' arms off just doesn't have the same visceral appeal in a post-God of War world.
>>
>>376538776
>you will never raise you very own Digimon up to a Lilithmon and have her /ss/ you every night
>>
>>376535305
dusk+dawn were good, it's a shame about the online play part though
>>
File: digi.png (710KB, 1800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
digi.png
710KB, 1800x1066px
So which starter are you gonna pick in Hacker's Memory
>>
>>376539064
>dusk+dawn were good
Too fucking grindy for my tastes.
>>
I used to be obsessed with Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance. In highschool I played through it multiple times to unlock everything.

I went back and played it a couple months ago, and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST is it bad.
>Dialogue that I used to think was "weird and charming" I just perceive as lazy and careless, now.
>The combat that I used to find interesting is now boring and broken. There are certain fights where if you haven't leveled your character a specific way, you will have to cheese the fights in order to proceed.
>I used to think the game was full of unlockable content and had a huge selection of items to customize your characters. It turns out that there aren't that many items, and there only seem to be a bunch because you have to regain all unlockables on each playthrough.
>Also, I don't think I have the patience to sit through the money farming missions, anymore. There's one where you have to earn 10,000 dollars, but in order to gain money, you have to fight, and with each fight you have to spend money to regain health or change your disguise.

This is actually one of my favorite topics to discuss, honestly.
>>
>>376539162
Tentamon. If i remember correctly, one of his evolution is a skullmon
>>
File: 535ca3232b.jpg (222KB, 1254x1014px) Image search: [Google]
535ca3232b.jpg
222KB, 1254x1014px
>>376538085
Less enemies appear when you have fewer party members. You actually get even more guys to fight if you bring along friends to help you. I had two family members that would play with me, but they eventually got sick of it, so I was on my own for the long haul. They both petered out around level 15.
>>376538142
Yeah, it was even multiplat. Speaking of multiplats, there's a Korean PC port of Digimon World 1 that I really want to own, but can't seem to find.
>>376538171
Partially because it was made to promote Digital Monster X Evolution, a Japan only Digimon movie. In fact, in Japan, it's even considered a spinoff and titled Digimon World X. Even then, it's only partially based on the events from the film.
>>
>>376537702
>>376538201
reading up on it again. It wasn't "literally unbeatable" but it was pretty hard. The glitch is basically you can't access ogremons fortress until after you beat the game.
I don't know how many digimon you needed totally for the end and how many there are in ogremons fortress but since kid me never managed it i guess you would need pretty much every other digimon.
>>
File: 1456260281836.jpg (416KB, 662x950px) Image search: [Google]
1456260281836.jpg
416KB, 662x950px
>>376538938
Bad feels man
>>
>>376539191
Calling them grindy is putting it lightly, jesus fucking christ the grind in those games.
>>
File: turok_2_seeds_of_evil.jpg (63KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
turok_2_seeds_of_evil.jpg
63KB, 854x480px
nope its still good
>>
>>376539624
>He's only went back and played one game from his childhood
>>
>>376539382
Don't even bother with the korean port, it's a buggy mess
>>
>>376539729
still not shitty
>>
>>376539490
Even though she's an "evil" Digimon would she still be kind and loyal to her tamer? This is important.
>>
>>376539263
Oh gosh I actually got that game when I had a kick where I'd go to game stores selling PS2 games on clearance and just play whatever I wanted for dirt cheap

It was a poor man's Yakuza or GTA, and I dropped it when I did some side mission where you were given a bomb and had to deliver it across the city

I died and my last save was hours ago, it wasn't worth grinding again
>>
>>376539519
Random encounters were fucking absurdly long because of how tanky the enemies were. Bosses were quite fun however.
>>
>>376536153
The grind is the real killer in DW3. The convoluted evolution tree didn't help either.
>>
Not yet
But I played the R&C remake and didn't feel my passion to replay it like I did the other games.
Then I went and replayed them and did feel the need to instantly replay
Then I played the future series which I never played before and same thing

The remake just does something wrong because I don't feel like playing it, but every other game in the series so far I do.
>>
>>376539935
Where did you even find it? My Korean's not so great, but I couldn't even locate a store that still had it or even a torrent.
>>376537084
If you were 12 when that game came out in the west, you'd be 18 now.
>>
>>376535224
I still replay this every now and then. But only on an emulator with unlocked framerate. So I totally understand your complaints. The grind is absolutely absurd. I don't have time for that shit anymore as an adult.
>>
>>376540034
Yes. Just discipline her if she goes out of line.
>>
>Digimon is mostly grinding
>it used to be very popular in Korea
Like pottery.
>>
>>376537702
>Nobody finished
Man, you serious? It's fucking easy to get through the game and beat Analog Man.

It's the post-game that's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>376535224
Huh, weird.

I was just thinking about playing DW3 right before i saw this thread. I love it to death but I completely forgot where I was in the game after taking a break for a while.

Was like 60 hours in and now I have no idea what to do. Which wouldn't be a problem if NPCs actually gave useful information on what to do next, and if it didn't take two hours to travel to any given spot in the game.
>>
>>376540034
>"It confounds its opponents with its bewitchingly lovely appearance, and those who are taken in by its temptations are invariably granted death."
no
>>
>>376535224
The only people that like dw3 are the thieves that played it in 50x speed on some emulator or those that haven't replayed it. Nothing about it is good.
>>
>>376541529
Just flavor text lad. Kids can raise a ZeedMillenniummon without any troubles for example.
>>
Sonic R. Unironically enjoyed that shit as a kid. Still have a soft spot of sorts for it mainly because of the OST

>>376535305
You didn't play any of the Digimon games? Bruh you missed out on some half decent shit. The first two World games were actually pretty cool.
>>
>>376542745
>Bruh you missed out on some half decent shit.

At best it was half-decent.

Digimon games aren't really something that worthwhile unless you have nostalgia for it.
>>
>>376544306
I dunno man I'd say World 1 is still a good game if you can get into it, however, I can agree the other games are just half-decent. Some of the more recent Digimon games, Cyber Sleuth especially, are actually quite good.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.