[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the level design so dull in these games compared to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: ds.jpg (450KB, 1200x1324px) Image search: [Google]
ds.jpg
450KB, 1200x1324px
Why is the level design so dull in these games compared to the original one?

In the first Dark Souls you had to watch your step anywhere you went and there was always some kind of twist and a surprise in each level. In the sequels all levels are literally the same but with different skin, you only had to be afraid of the enemies.
>>
>>376527307
because dark souls 1 wasnt playing to the mass audience much like how demob souls was. they just cared about making thier game as their vision wanted it. not making sure it fits the 'lore' or if so and so would be fun for the average player. FROM is good at making one off games where they dont have to care about the future series. demon/bloodborne/DS1 are proof of this
>>
File: 1490486975407m.jpg (92KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
1490486975407m.jpg
92KB, 1024x672px
>>
>>376530149
What am I supposed to being seeing here? Its just a trophy screen.
>>
>>376530287
I went in blind and platinumed Bloodborne in 10 days. It's easy, and by association I can only assume the rest in the series are too.
>>
>>376527307
It's a mystery. I enjoy having a different approach in each game, but they never reached the levels of fun Demons and Dark1 got to (one doing linearity really well and one doing a connected world really well). 2 and 3 have an over-reliance on bonfires for traversal that just isn't quite as engaging.

BB is sort of a combo on 1 and Demons approach. Its stronger in that regard than 2 & 3 were.
>>
File: SAM_LB3.gif (948KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_LB3.gif
948KB, 384x288px
All the level design talent worked on Bloodborne instead of DaSII, it really shows. BB is the closest we've returned to DaSI level design.

Don't know what happened with DaSIII though, good insular levels but now world connectivity like DaS and BB.
>>
>>376530572
Ok...not sure how this a knock against the game that you personally found it easy. Congrats on being such a badass I guess? Is that what you want?
>>
>>376530949
*no, not now
>>
>>376531017
I just wanted to let you all know how easy it is.
>>
>>376530949
So your problem with DaS3 level design is that it had 3 fewer ladders than DaS?

Besides, it wouldn't make sense for the world to be connected around a nexus like DaS was, because DaS3 worldmap is a PILGRIMS' PATH. It should be mapped like a long, winding road.

Deal with it.
Get over it.
Time to shut up about it.
>>
Different directors in charge. That's pretty much it. Miyazaki's involvement was absolutely minimal for DS2 and 3.
>>
>>376531203
Whatever
>>
>>376531017
That person is shit at the game though, I definitely remember seeing a webm related to that.
Easy in this case referring to the experience being played in coop and using save editing to get each ending, etc.

>>376531483
That kind of world layout is shit though and for lore reasons only really applies to the Undead Settlement -> Road of sacrifice -> Crucifixion woods -> Cathedral of the Deep progression as far as I'm aware.
The game also dropped the ball by having central hub where NPCs show up be completely disconnected from the rest of the game.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.