[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This engine gets undue hate from /v/. It made so many great games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: Unity.jpg (12KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Unity.jpg
12KB, 500x400px
This engine gets undue hate from /v/. It made so many great games like Hearthstone, Subnautica, ETG, Kerbal, Cities Skylines, Pillars of Eternity, Besiege, Hand of Fate, Grow Home, Tyranny, Rimworld, etc.
>>
>>376525263
Most of /v/ is filled with fucking morons.
>>
it ruined Sonic. FUCK YOU.
>>
>>376525263
A few drops of good in an ocean of bad is not "undue". It's just statistics.

If a game is made in unity, it has a high chance of being shit.
>>
>>376525263
>any of listed
>good
kys shill
>>
Is there any Unity game that doesn't have awful lighting?
It's always so fucking bright.
>>
agdg says it runs like crap

but they say everything is bad, so i just ignore them

it can't be that bad if hollow Knight was made in it
>>
>>376525586
It's funny that some people have that mentality, yet give the hundreds of shitty UE / Source / CE mods a pass.

That really is the main difference between Unity and the other big engines out there: with Unity, people set off to make GAMES, while with other choices, they are often "just mods".
>>
>>376525263
It gets hate because it has unwarranted memory and performance problems.

Shit actually -crashes- all the time. That's what you get for trusting glorious Bing bong programming.

I mean shit, it doesn't even compensate for c# lack of a built in event system.
>>
Subnautica runs like fucking dogshit one way or the other, patches fix things and completely break other shit.
>>
>>376525770
Some lazy ass indies who just want to throw together a game with pre-made stuff don't even know what "optimizing" is, which is why some C64 game lookalike may end up requiring better specs than Crysis to run smooth.

The ones who at least try and know their shit will at least use the numerous automated optimizing tools there are available nowadays. It's amazing how big of a difference mere object culling and texture / prop atlasing makes.
>>
File: Pillars-of-Eternity-02.jpg (470KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pillars-of-Eternity-02.jpg
470KB, 1920x1080px
>>376525670
?
>>
>>376525263
I talked to one of the guys involved in Hollow Knight, and he actually confirmed that the engine is "suboptimal".

Its just too heavy on the CPU for its own good and bottlenecks the crap out of it. The only reason why they used it(and why most people use it) is because its very easy to develop on.
>>
>>376525670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BARFQyWq_s

At anyrate people pretending this engine is great are dumb. The engine isn't properly multithreaded, and you cannot multithread it yourself unless you pay millions for source.

Unreal is properly multithreaded, and you can optimize any part you want because you get source for free.

Anything that doesn't give you source is garbage. For AAA games, anything that doesn't give you source is flat out unacceptable. The reason it's only used in games like Hearthstone is because it's fine for games with a system requirement of nothing, but if you want to do anything of any complexity, Unity is not the choice for you.
>>
>>376525840

I've seen better games in my highschool programming class than some of the stuff sold on steam. Many "devs" aren't even trying to make good games eventually, they're just there to abuse steam greenlight to make a quick buck.

Besides that, many good games run poorly on unity. If Pathologic demo was made in unreal, it would never run at sub 60fps.
>>
It can make good games, but that doesn't mean huge chunks of it aren't shit and inferior to UE4
>>
>>376525263
And also Yakoo-Laylee, Yandere Simulator, Sonic, etc.
>>
>>376525627
Ah yes, i see you are a connoisseur of games my dear friend. Would you happen to enjoy games such as dota 2 and assassins creed?
>>
>>376526797
>Many "devs" aren't even trying to make good games eventually, they're just there to abuse steam greenlight to make a quick buck.
Exactly.
And Unity has nothing to do with it.

>if pathologic demo was made in unreal
it would be fuggly piece of shit.
>>
>Hearthstone

so what you're saying is I should dislike unity
>>
>>376525263
I've probably spent over a thousand hours developing for Unity, and I've come to the following conclusion:
It makes a lot of things very simple if you want to get things done quickly, but some parts of it, like the outdated piece of shit garbage collector, can really fuck with your performance unless you jump through a billion hoops, which defeats the point of using Unity in the first place.
>>
>>376527212
Problem is even shitty unreal/source mods run better than a large chunk of Unity games. The fact of the matter is 3D Unity games NEEDS to be optimized, while other engines have leeway.
>>
>>376525263
Any good Unity game pays the money to hide the Unity logo. If the logo pops up, chances are it's a shit game.

t. Unity dev
>>
>>376527919
I can see that.
>>
>>376526797
A game doesn't perform better because it runs on Unreal, if something isn't sufficiently complex and runs like shit in Unity then it would run just as shit in Unreal.
>>
>>376525586
*If a game is made, it has a high chance of being shit
Fixed that for you
>>
>>376527879
Nah that's not true, plenty of UE4 games are shitshows because they whack the post processing up to 11, kill the performance and blind people in the process.

t. UE4 dev.
>>
>>376525263

Most of /v/ thinks "game engine" is some sort of nebulous, mystical something-or-another about a game and if you ask any kid around here, his considerations regarding the concept of a "game engine" don't go beyond speculating what it may be and if knowing for sure, shitting on it to sound smart.
>>
>>376525263
>. It made so many great games like
like what anon?
>>
i'll stop hating it when every unity game stops maxing out my fan speed
>>
>>376528146
What blows my mind is that Paragon runs like absolute trash. If you run it on low, you get decent FPS, then every preset after that gives the exact same performance.
>>
>>376525263
The real reason is because Unity has a more beginner-friendly design in its entity-component system. It has the same issue Game Maker had years ago before YYG made it impossibly stupid to use: Wannabe devs who fucking suck at game design and asset creation try their hand and think the rest of the internet is gonna be wowed by their microdick progress.
>>
>>376525586

It's not so much that Unity is shit or makes mostly shit games. It's that it's popular and most people who use it just aren't very good at making games.

Unity is fine, it's the people who use it that are the problem.
>>
>>376529010
>Unity is fine, it's the people who use it that are the problem.
>guns are fine, its niggers that are the problem
well said.
>>
File: BokuSleeping.webm (1MB, 546x432px) Image search: [Google]
BokuSleeping.webm
1MB, 546x432px
Do what I do and make a unity game regardless hehe.
>>
>>376529003
No, the real reason Unity is easy and fun to use is it uses C#. If Unreal had a C# option instead of Bluprints it would be more popular than Unity.
>>
>>376529053

But both of these statements are true. Gun can't do shit unless there is someone pulling the trigger.
>>
>>376529053
>>>/pol/
>>>/8ch/
>>
>>376525586
Many stories are written using a computer. Most of these stories are shit.

Therefore, if a story is made using a computer, it has a high chance of being shit.
>>
>>376529010
>Unity is fine, it's the people who use it that are the problem.
Literally bullshit. Did you even read the thread?
>>
>>376529218
thats my point.
>>
>>376529282
>Literally bullshit.
found the retard.
>>
Retards on /v/ don't understand that the easier the development platform, the more garbage games there are.

The minimum skill and investment required to make a game used to be higher. You'd need a team, or at least be incredibly knowledgeable and dedicated.

Nowadays an ideaguy can just download Game Maker or Unity, throw some shit together using free assets and copypasted code and put it on steam greenlight.

Only nodev fools blame the engine instead of the developers.
>>
Great videogames were made by people who knew how computers/consoles work. Guess why unity games are "suboptimal".
>>
>>376529579
>The minimum skill and investment required to make a game used to be higher.
>its easier now to make a game than before
imagine being THIS fucking retarded.
>>
>>376529246
Given those statements, that is correct. But the difference is that those shitty stories aren't sold for 5-10 dollars.
>>
>>376529739
Never been to your local chapters/book store?
>>
>>376529656
imagine having an actual argument
>>
>>376529739
Yes but the statement says nothing about the computer...
>>
>>376530010
imagine being a retard that thinks his claim is an argument.
>>
>>376530092
What are you even trying to say you insufferable shitposter? Are you incapable of forming basic thoughts so you just resort to calling your opponent names like an actual child? Rethink your life.
>>
>>376529010
>Unity is fine
Besides garbage performance on phones unless you own a $700 phone, and how Unity ran like trash on Xbone/PS4 until Unity themselves had to release a whole new version of their engine to actually run 30fps on those machines.
>>
>>376525263
Is this the premier "PC" engine nowadays ?

you know the midware market used to have id Tech (s), Source engine, Unreal Engine 2.5 .... now we have this unity piece of shit
>>
>>376530987
>Besides garbage performance on phones
This literally doesn't matter
>>
>>376531127
It's Unity's biggest market share. It does matter.
>>
>>376531224
Do you work for Unity? No? It doesn't matter.
>>
>>376529078
cute
>>
>>376530904
now this isnt an argument my retarded friend.
>>
>>376525770
>agdg

There's your problem m8. They're all just a bunch of nodev shit posters.
>>
>>376525770
AGDG says literally every single engine you ever use that you didn't chisel out of limestone punchcards yourself is shit.

And everybody knows it. Everybody just acts like that to avoid the typical "wut injun do I ussse?" threads.
>>
>>376525263
>>376525263
unity is an engine that is extremely shitty

best used for budget simplistic games

but we got these fags trying to use this shit engine to make games that'll never be good for
>>
>>376525526
I didn't know Sonic Adventure was made in Unity
>>
>>376525770
>it can't be that bad if hollow Knight was made in it
Besides the game needing a relative super computer to run it vs. if it was written in C++.
>>
>>376525263
>Hand of Fate
I wish the combat in that game wasn't shit
>>
>>376525263
>using what /v/ hates as a barometer for anything
that's like asking someone who was chronically molested as a kid what are some good homosexual pickup lines
>>
>>376530021

Right, so the logical conclusion is that either A) Unity made it shit or B) Devs made it shit.

Exactly who contributed to the shitness is irrelevant, because in the end, these two factors are highly correlated. Now you can defend the merits of unity all you want and argue about the potential of the engine etc etc, but if I boot up a random unity game, I expect 10-20 fps lower than any other major engine. And if it was completely random, I can expect cheap assets from the market too.
>>
>>376531792
hey man tmi
>>
>>376529598
Game design and software engineering are entirely different disciplines

All you can really say about the correlation is that if someone had to put a lot of time into their game just to get it running at all, they probably gave a shit about the game in general.
>>
>>376529804
who the fuck calls it a "chapters store"
>>
>>376532864
Sorry, a (chapters) or (book store)
>>
File: UnityPuzzleGame.webm (2MB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
UnityPuzzleGame.webm
2MB, 800x420px
>>376531296
Thanks. Its a unity 3D puzzle game where you play as a puzzle cube that has to solve 70+ puzzle levels.

Runs like shit with unitys garbage collector unless you have at least a graphics card from the last 7 years. Which has pissed off many in agdg that have PC's with no graphics card but say my game should run without a card.
>>
>>376534558
>play as a puzzle cube

Wat? Looks good btw for Unity to be honest.
>>
File: BokuScaredOfShitposters.webm (185KB, 110x118px) Image search: [Google]
BokuScaredOfShitposters.webm
185KB, 110x118px
>>376534704
I meant a bunny cube. His name is Boku.

here is some gameplay if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEgV333P_Rc

>>376526063
Are you referring to n64 and my agdg game? I get it alot that my game looks like an n64 game there and runs like ass. Anyone that says that though just doesn't have a graphics card or theirs is from 9 years ago. They even SHOW me their specs and its like a gtx 260 and a trash 10 year old CPU (Or NO GPU) and they expect unity to run that smooth.
>>
>>376534558
>pc's without graphics cards
>not even mobile chipsets
who fucking does this
>>
>>376529078
>>376534558
>>376535085
Nigga that's really fucking kawaii.
>>
>>376535085
>naming him Boku

What is this meme what were you thinking!?!
>>
>>376535085
GET BACK INTO THE AGDG BIN BOKU
YOU BELONG TO US
>>
>>376535792
from conception games
>>
>>376529078
>>376531296
>>376535343
>>376535085
>>376534704
Funny how /v/ calls shill everytime a game is posted. But as soon as someone actually shills his game /v/ gets all shilly all of a sudden. You fags are the worst.
>>
>>376536121
It's K because Boku has been here for fucking years.
>>
>>376536121
People appreciate honesty.
>>
>>376536121
because boku games does look kinda good, plays like shit but it looks good

if i posted my game here everyone would be calling me a faggot, because my game looks like shit. plays realy well but looks like shit
>>
>>376525263
UNITY has a low entry barrier meaning more people make shit games.
Its also been around for a good decade so there's tons of resources out for it.
>>
>>376525526
Sonic ruined Sonic
>>
I work full-time as an app developer using primarily Unity.

The issue is that it's easy to get into and has a very expansive free version. If you ever browse answers.unity3d.com it's people asking stupid shit like, "how do I move things forward" or forums with sandgarglers trying to push their asset store products.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.