[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What games are responsible for starting the "cinematic experience"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

What games are responsible for starting the "cinematic experience" meme?
>>
God of War
>>
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy
>>
Metal Gear
>>
Protip: Its existed before most of the posters here were born.
>>
Fahrenheit is a good answer, and might well be right. An argument could be made for the old adventure games that spliced in live-action footage, like Myst or Phantasmagoria or the like.
>>
>>376509297
Dq or final fantasy since back in the day. Ninja gaiden 2 as well
>>
Half Life is the real answer.
>>
>>376510813
Underrated post
>>
The Last of Us since it had amazing graphics, lots of cutscenes and most people came out of it remembering the story, not the gameplay. Also helps that it was extremely popular and pretty much everyone said it was amazing.
>>
>>376510813
Not really.. Maybe CoD4 earliest.
>>
Dude, is this board seriously full of people born in 1999 or something? Look up Another World. Look up Dragon's Lair. You can go back even further if you're willing to include text story games like Zork.
>>
>>376511412
Try Wing Commander 3, underaged faggot.
>>
>>376512083
>only combat counts as gameplay
Zork had great hard riddles.
>>
Ignoring all the underage in this thread: Another World.
>>
>>376509297
Myst, Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life 2
>>
>>376512197
You may be old, but it doesn't make you any less autistic. Cinematic means 'actively trying to emulate cinema within another medium'. I can't believe people are so dumb as to go "any cutscene or anything that resembles a cutscene". In no way Wing Commander's cutscenes are cinematic, they are baiting people with new technology, sure, but they are not cinematic.
>>
>>376512321
This is actually a good answer. It's a 'platformer' where every challenge is created to be overcome in a very specific way that makes the hero looks cool in the process. It also features puzzles as dull and pointless as those in later 'cinematic' games like Uncharted.
I still can't believe this piece of shit is considered a classic
>>
>>376509297
Another World/Out of This World
>>
>>376512083
>>376512321
I was a measly PC peasant as a child, but my neighbors had an Amiga. Seeing them play Flashback was my first gaming Holy Shit moment
>>
>>376509297

dragons lair
>>
Any adventure games featuring real actors or FMV I think

The importance of cinematic trend lies in elevating the standard of video games as an artitic medium to be the same as film.

Try to look at it other way around. Many studios eager to turn their games into films i.e. Last of Us and Uncharted. I am talking about the film you watch in cinema.

But the whole thing is a joke to me, I never really understand the appeal because fully embrace the cinematic trend means that we abandon what make video games unique in the first place.
>>
If by "cinematic experience" you meant something casualized, plain and simple to enjoy or experience, pressxtowin-esque, then of course something like Cage shit or Uncharted is your answer.
If by "cinematic experience" you meant something with the vibe of the film, influence of film techniques, then Karateka or Prince of Persia and said Another World is your answer.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.