[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's available on steam Why aren't you building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: g02106sg47s.jpg (10KB, 200x238px) Image search: [Google]
g02106sg47s.jpg
10KB, 200x238px
>it's available on steam

Why aren't you building an Egyptian empire, anon?
>>
Meh
>>
>>376499756
children of the nile is better
>>
Because it's fucking frustrating to play. The building ranges are super small and the citizens are annoying little shits who are never happy.

It's mostly that the skill floor is super high. You pretty much have to know exactly what you should be building and where when you start building your city if you ever want your faggot citizens to upgrade their houses. You can't play reactively because then you'll have to continuously demolish good houses to make the remaining ones even better. The game's also super punishing if you screw up. By the time you notice something is wrong and try to react it feels like it's often almost unsalvageable.

I'm too much of a babby for old citybuilders. Fuck.
>>
>>376499756

I love these games but I hate the war "RTS-like" elements in them. It's so shallow and boring. Just let me build my city and economy, if I wanted to play Age of Empires I would be. I was playing through Zeus the other month and couldn't be bothered to finish it because of that.

>>376499890

I don't really agree, actually if anything it's the other way around. Once you've figured out an optimal layout you can mostly copy/paste it everywhere with only minor variations for geography and resource locations. After a while all of my cities end up looking mostly the same. This is an issue for most City Building games though.
>>
>>376500070
>Once you've figured out an optimal layout you can mostly copy/paste it everywhere with only minor variations for geography and resource locations. After a while all of my cities end up looking mostly the same.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant. I never figured it out, and never really put much effort into figuring it out, because I play citybuildan for comfy and for designing cool-looking cities. The whole cool-looking factor goes out of the window when you're forced to use a certain layout with small variations because of game mechanics.

I liked Cities: Skylines a lot though. I'd absolutely love a similar, modern citybuildan in a historical setting. Anno 1404 was okay but the cities still didn't feel quite like actual cities the way they did in Skylines.
>>
>>376500312

Cities: Skylines and other SimCity-likes are really a different type of game in my opinion. It's more about big-scale very long-lived cities rather than the smaller, more micro-managed Caesar-likes.

I find that Caesar-likes have more interesting early games but once you've reached a certain size there's not much you can do. SimCity-likes have a slower early game but offer a lot more possibilities for late game, you can spend dozens of hours on the same map.
>>
>>376500691
That's true. In fact the early game in Skylines is pretty terrible because you can't afford big roads and are forced to make a bad-looking but functional starting cluster near the highway. Of course, you could certainly argue that it's kind of realistic for a new city to not have much larger roads that it needs due to budget issues and there just being no need for 6-lane roads through the city when it's a town of 500 people, but from a gameplay pov it's annoying because you can't start making final solutions from the get-go.

It only gets fun when you have a proper income so you can actually save up and build longer stretches of road at a time and properly think ahead. In some saves I just built some terrible-looking money generator city near the highway and fastforwarded while using all the income to create the layout of the actual city I wanted further inland before eventually populating it and demolishing the money farm I built at the start.

On the other hand, I found the early game in Pharaoh quite fun, whereas it began frustrating upon reaching the later stages.
>>
File: Tropico 4.jpg (232KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tropico 4.jpg
232KB, 1280x720px
>>376500994

I really enjoyed Tropico 4 for a more modern take on the formula. Like Pharaoh once you've figured the optimal way to build a city it becomes a bit repetitive and easy but it looks nice and the story is fun.
>>
Does the steam version run in a high resolution?
>>
>>376499756
I am not black enough to be a pharoh. I am only an Arab.
>>
I'm not autistic enough to min max layouts for most efficient production queus but I am autistic enough to get frustrated by inefficient ones.
I used to play it all the time as a kid though and I still have that fuck huge manual floating around.
>>
File: pharaoh-steam.jpg (261KB, 710x533px) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh-steam.jpg
261KB, 710x533px
>>376502742

Doesn't look like it.

>>376503045

Yeah, I can sympathize with that. The game is pretty unrewarding if you don't go for an optimal city. You basically want to aim for the highest standard everywhere instead of having a more organic, layered city.
>>
>>376499756
Don't do this to me.
I've spent so many hours on that game, I absolutely love it. And now I feel like going back to it.

Sure it has its flaws but it's still a good game once you at least got your roadblocks.
Fuck the population dying of old age the more you stay in one mission though, that's bullshit.
>>
File: maxresdefault (29).jpg (191KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (29).jpg
191KB, 1280x720px
KAAAAAAAAAAANGZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>376499756
Caesar didn't work on my machine, I wonder if this works?
>>
its really annoying going back to this after playing zeus / the china one

having to be able to make sure your overseers can walk past houses
>>
>>376499756
I already bought it on GoG a few years ago.
>>
>>376503581

The GoG Zeus works fine on a modern computer at least. I haven't tried Pharaoh in a while.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.