[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some actually good survival games? I want to fend off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14

File: serveimage.jpg (239KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
239KB, 1920x1080px
What are some actually good survival games?

I want to fend off and survive for hours without the game becoming too easy once you have a fortress or whatever, doesn't matter if it's 2D or 3D

I'm only asking because I saw gameplay of the Forest but I know there's like a hundred early access games like it and I don't want to get burned so I need opinions
>>
Minecraft
>>
>>376484578
>early access
Literal cancer slowly killing PC gaming. They NEVER finish them. At best the game reaches an early beta stage and they call it done. 9/10 its a rough alpha all the way to a "finished" product. Glitchy, unstable and lacks content.

I'd give a left nut for a good survival game. Even a zombie survival game. That genre is flooded with trash games. No gems to speak of.
>>
>>376485007

That's why I'm asking because I don't want to play something unfinished and it never gets finished

Surely by now there's a few finished ones?
>>
>>376485171
You would be wrong. I can't think of many early access games that where ever finished. Of any genre or type. If you want to cross your fingers and hope for the best look up SCUM.
>>
>>376485246

God dangit so it's basically play one of them until I get bored? I'll go look for scum
>>
>>376484578
I actually like astroneer.

Rest are trash
>>
>>376485674

What's wrong with Don't Starve?
>>
>>376484578
7 Days to Die & State of Decay for zombies

Planet Explorer's is SUPER underrated if you're into sci-fi and building shit

Battlegrounds is the best solo PvP survival game (though it's good in a group too)

and Rust is the best group PvP game.

That's about it. Keep an eye on The Forest and Rend
>>
Empyrion. Been jamming that all weekend. In addition to regular attacks, there's NPC bases on different planets that can be attacked and looted.
>>
>>376485892
>regular attacks

wait did they change it so that bases get attacked regularly? How much of a challenge is it?

Seriously want to know, that's the only element of the game I felt lacking; love survival games where bases are more than art projects.
>>
>>376485007

it's not killing anything because these games are not popular enough to be anything but a niche genre

stop doomsaying you sperg
>>
>>376485959

I'm with this guy, I want a base with purpose

Is there any game where you can fuck up and you're just overrun?
>>
>>376485959
There's drone attacks at varying intervals. Sometimes a troop transport attempts to invade you as well. You can set the difficulty of these attacks when starting a new game.
>>
>>376486143
>You can set the difficulty of these attacks when starting a new game.

sold.
>>
>>376486121
State of Decay and 7 Days to Die are both good at this imo

I would imagine modded Minecraft has plenty of shit like this too
>>
>>376486206
Just remember to fortify your base core senpai. If you lose that, your entire base powers down and you lose ownership of it.
>>
lfwb

Good luck surviving more than a hour, though.

Good luck even getting to play the game as well.
>>
>>376486371

I'll check them out thanks anon
>>
File: wilsonwillow.png (204KB, 528x333px) Image search: [Google]
wilsonwillow.png
204KB, 528x333px
>>376484578
Don't Starve (together) is the only one that isn't shitty

>Overworld survival
>Cave survival
>Ancient Ruins survival
>Deserted Island survival
>>
>>376486780
W-what happens if I just play base Don't starve?
>>
File: stranded202.jpg (350KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
stranded202.jpg
350KB, 800x600px
>>376485787

Don't Starve is fine, but it strays away from survival and starts to resemble a Monster Hunter game instead (in concept, not mechanics).

To this day, the best "survival" game I've played is Stranded. No fucking joke.
>>
>>376486950

It's fine, it also gives you the option of playing the marine-based expansion.
>>
File: 1489263662796.jpg (86KB, 1219x773px) Image search: [Google]
1489263662796.jpg
86KB, 1219x773px
>to watch
>>
>>376486987
>stranded

Jesus christ, it's been forever since I've played that game. Almost forgot about it too. It's definitely solid if OP is thinking about trying it.
>>
>>376486950
Probably an easier time because the seasons are only Summer (mild) and Winter (shit)

Reign of Giants expands it into a 4 season setup, with Autumn being the old summer, Summer is now a threat with overheating and shit catching on fire, and Spring isn't as bad but it rains a lot and it still kinda sucks.

Shipwrecked adds entirely different world generation in an archipelago, with totally different items to work with and different seasons (Mild, Dry, Monsoon and Hurricane seasons)

Don't Starve Together is actually kind of a different experience from the base game (even if you're playing alone), in that there are items only in Together that aren't in the base, and also vice-versa. Content wise it's up to Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked Together isn't out yet, although there's no word on if it'll ever be a thing.
>>
>>376486987
What about The Long Dark, literally a survival game in all the sense of the word.

>>376485849
>7 Days to Die & State of Decay for zombies
I would recommend Project Zomboid since its more survival based with nutrition and all that shit added in.
>>
>>376487186

Fuck I just died because I didn't set a fire
>>
>>376488329
the long dark is good but the optimization is all over the place and it will take them forever to actually finish it
>>
>>376488506
Story mode is supposed to come out in august (along with the game coming out of EA), also i never got any problems with the optimization and i have a very shitty PC.
>>
>>376485849
>and Rust is the best group PvP game.
>Buddy invites me to play Rust with him
>Figure why not, hop on and join him even though the load time was fucking ridiculous to join the server
>Maybe play for a half hour before people show up and camp outside our base
>"Yeah this happens a lot"
>Can't leave the base for over an hour because a group is just sitting outside taunting forever
Y-yeah it was was fun heh
>>
>>376488592
>Not having some sort of roof acess to kill those faggots
>Not having a airlock room to trap people in
>Not having a bean can to kill the faggots trapped in the room
>>
>>376488592
one of you limp-dicked faggots should have just gone out there like a man and done something.

pussy.
>>
>>376488369
So long as you aren't standing in the dark for too long, you'll be safe from Charlie. Lighting a torch as an emergency shit or even running back and forth between fireflies is enough to save you
>>
>>376485007
The Long Dark is getting towards its story mode but the sandbox has seen steady updates
>>
>>376484578
>I want to fend off and survive for hours without the game becoming too easy once you have a fortress or whatever, doesn't matter if it's 2D or 3D
Terraria
>>
File: 13214[1].png (475KB, 1920x795px) Image search: [Google]
13214[1].png
475KB, 1920x795px
Nobody ever mentions Neo Scavenger for some reason.
>>
>>376488879
Shit i forgot about it

I fucking love this game
>>
>>376488329
>What about The Long Dark, literally a survival game in all the sense of the word.
Its definitely the best survival game in the literal sense of the genre.

Every resource matters, everything you carry matters, every second literally matters. It also puts a big focus on forcing the player to take big, one time journeys to get things done like making your trip to a furnace to make metal tools. Its also comfy as fuck because of how punishing it is. Having a moment to rest in a house or wind sheltered location is really nice.

All I really wish was that they had done some MP. I honestly feel like if you're doing survival you should let people play together.
>>
File: 1493740790660.png (93KB, 161x260px) Image search: [Google]
1493740790660.png
93KB, 161x260px
>>376486987
Stranded was good, but I think the best survival game ever is Survival Kids for GBC. The amount of stuff you can do in there will blow your mind, there are 12 endings, for a GBC game it's real fucking neat.

It has three successors, Lost in Blue games, but I played all three of them and they are utter shit, honest to God how could they fuck up these games so badly.
>>
>>376488742
I did go out there and kill a couple, but then I died and my friend said to just wait them out since there was a big group of them.
>>376488692
I don't know shit about the game, not my fault we didn't have a better base
>>
>>376489064
>All I really wish was that they had done some MP. I honestly feel like if you're doing survival you should let people play together.

Dunno man, i like survival games alone because it feels harsher and less hopeless when your resources are low since you can depend on your buddy to scavenge other place.

The only game where survival and MP were hand in hand were the early days of Project Zomboid MP, that shit was hardcore as fuck since loot didnt respawn and eventually it became like
>>376488879
Malnourished hobos fighting over a rotten mayonise in a looted and broken to hell dinner.

It was the most hardcore shit i played because everything felt like hell.
>>
>>376489064
nope. you put MP in a game like The Long Dark and it takes all the stakes and purpose out.
>>
All survival games fall to the problem of

>the longer you survive the easier the game becomes

No survival game keeps up, it's always most difficult at the start and you eventually reach a point where it's pointless to continue.
>>
File: dda crafting.png (58KB, 1278x1002px) Image search: [Google]
dda crafting.png
58KB, 1278x1002px
You're not going to find anything better than cataclysm dda or the long dark
>>
>>376484578
UnReal World is an actually good survival game, and it's free.
>>
>>376488879

Yes. Neo Scavenger is another survival game done right, a post-apocalyptic one no less.
>>
>>376489496
Personally I hate that the longer you survive the more you have to lose. Games like Ark where you build bases and tame animals takes dozens of hours to get anywhere good in the game, and minutes to lose it all
>>
No one mentioned Rimworld yet.

Having a fortress invites harder events, same with building inside a mountain.

It's a top down basebuilding/rts type game though.
>>
>>376484578
UnReal World, but you probably actually want fancy grafix right?
>>
>>376489808
This.

Ark goes from "shitshitshit there's a raptor near our camp and there's no fence around the dodos" to "Well a Giga spawned, we better tame it before somebody else does" to "fuck it we crushed all resistance and our server is dead what do" far too quickly.
>>
Subnautica is the only one that is actually any good and the developers actually care about it enough to update regularly
>>
>>376490337
And it's not multiplayer.

I'm seeing a pattern here.
>>
>>376484578
>games to watch
wut
>>
>>376490160
That and offline raiding is pure fucking aids
>Had a decent time on ark official servers for a while
>Eventually everyone in my tribe leaves except me, and I'm maintaining a big ass base by myself, pretending I still have a tribe though
>One day log on and my base has been raided, every single animal is dead and everything has been stolen, even basic supplies like stone so I can't even rebuild the walls without grinding forever
>Lost absolutely all interest in starting over
Decent tames should not take 6-12 hours and then be killed in minutes when you're offline
>>
File: 1489674623495.png (514KB, 532x582px) Image search: [Google]
1489674623495.png
514KB, 532x582px
>>376489668
This. Cataclysm DDA is now much better than ever, nightly builds are literally coming every night, there is fucktonne of new content and mods to tweak the game, nightly builds bring a lot of patching and new stuff.

It's even on fucking android and it's actually well implemented, it's the best fucking game to pick up during lunchtime or commuting, quicksave takes two seconds so you can quickly pick up and put down the game as needed. I wouldn't recommend picking it up without playing on a computer first to get used to the controls as you occasionally have to bring up the keyboard to do some things.

It's not a game for scrubs, it's fucking merciless, just like DayZ used to be; even with great gear one careless move and you are fucking dying.

Unless you mod it to be a easy modo tourist resort, that is.
>>
>>376490337
Its not really a survival game though. More of a basebuilding/exploration game.

Once you build an aquarium and a water purifier you are literally set for the rest of the game.
>>
>>376489778
It's good, but if you don't pick trapping the game difficulty ranges from stupidly difficult to impossible. Constantly keeping up with hunger and thirst is a fucking chore due to crafting system.

I do like that combat is much like real life: if you just keep attacking you are constantly exposing yourself and if you dodge and attack the enemy when they are vulnerable it works magic.

It's a good game, many hours of fun and countless lives lost to hypothermia and food poisoning.
>>
>>376491306
The only time I came close to death by starvation/dehydration was when I made expeditions to the lava zone
>>
>>376485246
>I can't think of many early access games that where ever finished. Of any genre or type.

Games I know were in EA and came out completed snd decent.
Darkest Dungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Don't Starve
Arma 3
Kerbal Space Program
Grim Dawn
Nuclear Throne
Starbound

I would say 2D rogue-lites usually complete early access.
>>
File: 1493569289616.jpg (17KB, 358x353px) Image search: [Google]
1493569289616.jpg
17KB, 358x353px
>>376485849
>>376488592
Oh yeah, good old rust.
>build a base all day
>get raided, bullied to death, or raided offline
>everyone kill on sight because you cannot trust a single guy, even naked
>guns are as accurate as a water pistol, unless you are putting a gun barrel directly into someone's face and even then it's not guaranteed to land a fucking shot
Yeah nah, this game is as fun as being a 5 year old trying to build a sandcastle with a 30 years old fat faggot constantly watching you waiting until you are done, destroying your castle and kickikng you into a fucking ground calling you a noob, telling you to git gud and cry you a river.

I tried Rust many times, with and without friends. This game is just trying to trick you into thinking you are having fun when you are steamrolled into the red-hot asphalt.

Old rust was hundred times better.
>>
File: 20161212182446_1.jpg (217KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161212182446_1.jpg
217KB, 1920x1080px
Subnautica is good, difficulty is being added later though so give it some time before you buy it, although it still has 10 or so hours of content right now if you're desperate for a survival game for whatever reason
>>
File: 1487438947771.jpg (178KB, 1024x905px) Image search: [Google]
1487438947771.jpg
178KB, 1024x905px
>>376485787
>>376486780
>>376486987
>>376487186
>>376491935
>Don't Starve
I don't get this fucking game. Everything is literally deadly to touch, you can only die a limited times and then everything you did and gathered is lost forever. I mean this game seems to have a lot of artificial difficulty, if you get one thing wrong you are a goner. Base building is a fucking joke, some monsters one-hit-ko you and sanity is a fucking chore to maintain. Even fucking wolves can fuck you up if you are not near a pig village. Getting underground is literally a suicide.
I don't get how people can survive for more than two seasons in this game. It's also so slow paced it takes half a real time day to get anywhere, and then you make a smallest mistake and you lose everything.

Can anyone explain what the fuck am I doing wrong or how to actually git gud in this game? I really want to like it, but it's a toxic relationship at the moment.
>>
Why is there so few survival games and even fewer of ones that get it right?
>>
File: okay get in.jpg (44KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
okay get in.jpg
44KB, 500x373px
>>376493153
Wear fucking armor you dingus

Log armor alone cuts 80% of the damage you take. A football helmet does another 80% of what was left over.

So something that does 100 damage only does 20 damage with log armor, and if you wear the football helmet, that 20 damage gets reduced to 4 damage.

In short: don't fight shit that hurts you without armor. You fucking idiot
>>
>>376493383
Well, that will cover some of my woes. What do you recommend for a weapon early on?
>>
>>376493754
If you're near a marsh, look for Tentacle spikes, dropped from tentacles. Merms and Tentacles are oddly hostile to each other so you're bound to find a couple sitting around.

Otherwise, a Ham Bat is pretty good until it starts to go bad (it doesn't have durability so it can be used 'forever', but i does rot over time making it deal less damage as it goes bad). The Dark Sword is the strongest but has a sanity penalty and is made with nightmare fuel and living logs. A morning star does extra damage to wet enemies (so useful during spring) and doesn't have regular durability (swinging it doesn't reduce durability but loses durability AS it's held)
>>
>>376484578
Depends on what your looking for.

I really enjoyed The Long Dark. Downside being it is a legit walking sim, and there is no onjective other than not sying for X amou t of days.

Not sure if they qualify as survival but Jalopy and My Summer Car are driving sims with hard core fail states that borderline one survival.

Otherwise, subnautica is a pretty good drowning simulation.
>>
Organ Trail
>>
File: okay.png (306KB, 628x377px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
306KB, 628x377px
>>376494020
Cheers. I'll pick up Don't Starve again soon.
>>
>>376484578
UPBG is pretty fun, not every game lasts about 30 min tho

Dont Starve is pretty fucking hard

Rust is good, but you'll end up raped by a big clan in no time
>>
i still play minecraft for this desu, on hard with a few other mods for difficulty and its pretty fun tbqh, its still one of the comfiest games out there, and you can make it even more so with a good texture pack and some shaders
>>
File: 1474235636742.jpg (85KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474235636742.jpg
85KB, 1000x1000px
>>376493153
Depends on the character you're using. Dunno what Wilson is good at aside from growing the beard and 200 max sanity. Willow has a lighter and a bear that tanks shadows, Wendy gets help from his ghost sister and less sanity drain on darkness, wicker doesn't sleep but makes op books, webber farms spiders, wes is basically the hard mode having a higher hunger and sanity drain with no redeeming quality. Wolfgang gets strong with a full belly, wigfrid makes helms and spears, woody chops trees faster but transforms into a beaver. Maxwell conjures shadow minions for the cost of max sanity, and has VERY HIGH sanity regen.

Just get resources, think of how you'll utilize the perks your character has, and make the most out of everything.

an example would be dig graves for trinkets/gears/gems, be insane, fight shadows, get nightmare fuel.
>>
The long dark is the best single player one, except for don't starve
>>
>>376485007
prison architect went through that pretty nicely
>>
I remember when TLD used to get updated multiple times a month. Such a distant memory.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.