[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw Microsoft is finally leaving the gaming industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 20

File: 1451089124629.png (17KB, 651x641px) Image search: [Google]
1451089124629.png
17KB, 651x641px
>tfw Microsoft is finally leaving the gaming industry

feelsgoodbrehs
>>
File: 1494370504109.png (45KB, 475x411px) Image search: [Google]
1494370504109.png
45KB, 475x411px
More competition is actually a good thing you child
>>
>>376477174
Valve is taking place.

Actually, Valve is just taking their money without even needing to make games.

How pathetic.
>>
File: 1377660675607.png (314KB, 427x459px) Image search: [Google]
1377660675607.png
314KB, 427x459px
>>376477174
Competing over the same customers using different proprietary hardware and shitty business practices to exclude portions of the customers who decided not to buy their particular hardware.

You do not understand the fundamental concept of economic competition.

Imagine if every car manufacturer designed their cars to take specific types of fuel and not take any other kinds of fuel. These companies then proceed to lobby laws to prevent gas stations from selling multiple types of fuel at the same location.

All this does is arbitrarily split up the customers and make it less convenient for them to get what they need.

The products are designed to look and feel similar and this fools you, but they are in fact different products for each console. Because they cannot be used interchangeably there is no direct competition for the consumer; they are locked into their original decision unless they want to pay another company money for the privilege.

Do you understand? Putting up fences in this fashion does not benefit the consumer AT ALL. It hinders the consumer. It benefits the companies greatly because there are idorts who think spending over a thousand dollars on different pieces of hardware that perform essentially the same function is somehow justifiable.
>>
Not before having set the "standard" for paid online last gen and now wanting to establish a "Netflix of videogames" service (pay $15 for life instead of $60 once to be able to play some games some of the time).

Microsoft was a fucking mistake.
>>
>>376477782
That seems to be a lot of effort responding to what was really a mindless shitpost anon.

As for the actual point, I'm half and half with you. Whatever your opinion on the consoles, Microsoft being in competition with Sony does drive both of them to try and achieve better. Exclusives are one of those ways, and there's also the service they offer as well as the actual hardware. If it weren't for Sony killing Microsoft at the start of the console gen, we probably wouldn't be seeing a true 4K 60fps Console for a while
>>
Nintendochildren and sonykids really need to stop hating on based Microsoft
>>
>>376477108
Good maybe they'll put all the halo games on pc
>>
>>376478681
"Based" Microsoft needs to step up their game if they're getting slapped around by a kiddie console and a Bloodborne machine.
>>
>>376477882
>singlehandedly made online console gaming viable

>durrr I hate them!

Yeah fuck off
>>
>>376478681
>the company that started paying to play online
>based
>>
>>376478507
The market goes where the money is. Competition is less important to innovation than you think. They've been competing for a very long time and they still can't be bothered to keep up with hardware improvements widely available across the world. Their focus on trying to "out do" the other guy has let them become complacent because they know they don't have to run faster than the bear so to speak. They know they'll make money hand over fist simply because their competition is a joke.

There are many laws that protect consumers from monopolies, but very few from oligopolies. That's what the consoles are right now.
>>
>all these shitposts about Microsoft leaving the industry lately

What's up with that?
>>
>>376479028
Shills. But they actually do it for free
>>
source? or same rumors from last year
>>
>>376478848
>they still can't be bothered to keep up with hardware improvements widely available across the world.
There's a reason consoles are underpowered in comparison to modern PC tech though.
I'm not saying competition is vital to innovation, but competition is certainly very healthy and has led to some great things in vidya.
E3 Round the corner is one of those things as well, they want to outdo each other. Microsoft can't afford to be complacent after they dropped the ball so hard. Consoles aren't really in competition with PC's, sure, but they are competing against each other and do try to bring improvements and features forward in order to do that.

I'm not saying Microsoft or Sony are saints, but the current state of Consoles isn't exactly terrible. We've come a long way.
>>
>>376479028
They don't seem to have a booth at E3, according to a convention floor map that's been circulating. Also the general trend of MS merging their console and PC gaming operations. So, shitposting.
>>
That won't undo the damage they caused.
>>
>>376479458
>buy original xbox
>it dies
>buy another one
>buy xbox 360
>it dies
>buy another one
>xbox one gets released
Nope. I'm done. I've never had a PC, Nintendo, or even Sony machine die on me but M$'s shit died on me twice.
I only perceive their products as bad investments nowadays.
>>
>>376479297
>competing against each other
That's the problem. They're competing in such a way that the consumers are not benefiting from it. They're not competing for the same customers on the same playing field. They're competing over their own customers in separate playing fields. Their products appear similar, as I've stated, because they perform the same functions and play the same types of games, but because one version of the game can only be played on one set of hardware direct competition is undermined.

I'll go back to the car analogy. You can choose what brand of car you buy. Everything else aside from the brand is the same. You can use gas from anywhere. You can use any tires. You drive on the same roads. Everything is identical except the brand and the differences each brand brings to the table. That is a direct competition.

Imagine if there were roads that you could only drive on with a Chevy. Imagine if your local gas station only pumped Audi gasoline now. Imagine if you were forced to use Ford tires on all Ford cars. Imagine this sort of cutting up the pie going on for decades until the entire landscape of the market is a bloodied mess of proprietary this and exclusive that.

They're doing everything they can to ensure the customer benefits as little as possible from their competition while they benefit the most from it.

Direct competition means they would do everything they can to improve their product. This indirect form of competition means they do everything they can to carve out a demographic and keep those customers in a tightly controlled area they cannot escape from unless they pay twice as much.
>>
>>376477290
>Valve is taking place.
LOL
>>
>>376479297
>they want to outdo each other
In a way, "no". There isn't direct collusion, but it's in neither company's best interest to innovate or dominate the competition when instead they can get just one step beyond the status quo and then harp and harp on about that single step of distance. An oligopoly like the current climate allows them to get away with way worse shit than a real monopoly could because there's the illusion of competition. They'd never get away with the internet connection tax, and they'd never get away with raising the price of it every fucking year. They aren't competing like soft drink companies, they're "competing" like ISPs and cigarette brands.
>>
File: 1455689655215.gif (3MB, 387x432px) Image search: [Google]
1455689655215.gif
3MB, 387x432px
>>376480063
>mfw their horrible Steam Machines
>>
File: salty sonyggers.png (99KB, 878x1235px) Image search: [Google]
salty sonyggers.png
99KB, 878x1235px
>>376477882
it wasnt microsoft. It was the normies eating up consoles that produced this dark age we are currently in
>>
>>376477108
And Apple / Amazon is replacing them.

The future is bright...
>>
>>376479974
>They're not competing for the same customers on the same playing field.
But they are, I don't see how you're denying this. Microsoft and Sony both want you to have a console in your home.
Sure, once you make that decision then the playing fields change, but people are constantly buying new consoles. Just because 50 million have bought a PS4, doesn't mean 50 million more won't and it's about making the PS4 more appealing to them, rather than to the customers they already have. I'm not sure how you're saying they're not in direct competition.

Using your car analogy, the same controllers, games, peripherals, most everything, would work on both consoles, with the only difference being performance. If that was the case, there'd be little reason splitting the two. It's the competition that drives Sony/Microsoft to try to make the Better controllers, or make the better peripherals, or the better performance in multiplats.
Exclusive games are a bit of an exception here, but again they're only exclusive because one Company is trying to outdo the other and hell, that might be the only way those games received their funding.

>>376480143
I see what you're saying, but say Microsoft do get out of the industry. Now what's stopping Sony from sitting on their arse, doing less than they already do and having shit E3 after shit E3 because they're the only ones relevant? I think it's better having them around than not, it's not exactly going to be easy for a new Company to come and appose Sony.
Nintendo are fun and all but it's a different ball park.
>>
>>376477174
People keep saying this but I've yet to see anything good to come out of the current "competition". Everyone is still charging for online and 90% of games coming out are mediocre.
>>
>>376478848
>They've been competing for a very long time and they still can't be bothered to keep up with hardware improvements
Because its not sustainable, they can't sell a console at a huge loss and people just won't buy them if the price is too high.
>>
>>376480918
you wait until there is no competition and they dont have to keep up with anyone else.

Then you will be here shitposting how its fucked up they havent bought out a new system in a decade and crying about PC being on 16k 220fps standard when consoles are still pushing 720/30 while telling the customers its 1080/60
>>
>>376479341
>They don't seem to have a booth at E3, according to a convention floor map that's been circulating.
That makes no sense. They've been hyping up scorpio for months and a booth would be the perfect place to shill it
>>
>>376480775
People are buying fewer consoles actually, the market is shrinking
>>
>>376481146
PC wouldn't be going anywhere that fast because consoles are the things most devs care for. We already had a gen that lasted nearly a decade despite the competition. I'm with the guy above, the competition there is is designed to not benefit the customer. It's actually funny how close your example of what would happen is to reality right now.
>>
File: 1393467319325.gif (6KB, 500x246px) Image search: [Google]
1393467319325.gif
6KB, 500x246px
>>376480775
We disagree. You need to add an exception to your opinion in order for it to not be hypocritical.

I don't buy a second toaster that toasts bread in a marginally different way. I don't support an industry that sells bread that only fits in certain kinds of toasters. I don't listen to people like you who act like buying multiple things that are functionally identical is not only normal, but ideal.

This competition is an illusion. The wool has been pulled over your eyes if you think the customers benefit from it.
>>
File: 1457745835342.jpg (42KB, 486x572px) Image search: [Google]
1457745835342.jpg
42KB, 486x572px
>>376477108
>Microsoft is finally leaving the gaming industry

What, source?
>>
>>376481358
>pc wont move that fast

ugh PC is already 2 generations ahead of console because consoles sat on their hands for 9 years with gen 7.

Do you think people playing at 4k 144 fps is imaginary? I mean its not the standard but it will be in less than a year. My 3 year old card is still stronger than ps4 and xbone. Not that playing videogames at 60 fps should even be an accomplishment but thanks to consoles it is
>>
>>376477108
I'm worried.
Now that Sony has no competition, what's going to happen?
>>
>>376481358
>It's actually funny how close your example of what would happen is to reality right now.

this problem will only compound upon itself
>>
>>376481382
>but ideal.
But I'm not saying this anon. I'm saying competition is healthy and has proven healthy for both Sony and Microsoft in their quest to "make the next water cooler"

The exception was hardly a major one, and I don't see how it'd make me hypocritical. Would you prefer there was no competition? Would you prefer Microsoft completely went? What then? A Sony ruling the console market, is that really going to be more beneficial?

You're saying there's little difference between the systems and all that is there is simply wool over people's eyes, but isn't your alternative both systems being largely the exact same? Where would the competition rise there?

If we're using toasters now, it's the difference between a toaster that's WiFi connected and makes them a bit faster versus one that isn't. The bread you're putting in is the same, like multiplats are, but there's also special loafs available for your toaster.

If it's the Special Loafs that irks you, I get that. I can understand not wanting to support the exclusive practices and all that bollocks, but I can't understand saying this competition isn't beneficial.
>>
File: dem_3840_12[1].png (121KB, 548x504px) Image search: [Google]
dem_3840_12[1].png
121KB, 548x504px
>>376481548
There are hardly any decent budget PC exclusives to judge. And a good chunk of multiplats run like garbage (and still have framerate drops below 60 at 4k even on the most powerful cards, you're not running at 4k 144 fps in 90% of games without dual 1080tis) because the devs just do the bare minimum to get it to run on PC. I'd love to live in your world but that isn't how it is from my point of view.
>>
>>376477108
you can't just make things up.
>>
>>376477782
When Nintendo and Sega were rivals competing with each other, Sega would make specific games to try and combat Nintendo. This gave us Sonic the Hedgehog.
When Sony hit the scene, it was out of spite to defeat Nintendo for their betrayal. They combated Mario with Crash and Spyro, while starting to create the "mature gamer", claiming that Nintendo was for children. Around the time that they peaked was also when Sega left the market.
Nintendo ignored Sony's advances, and decided that, even if Sony was being successful, their IP's that were trying to compete weren't doing so well, and they were more successful with their IPs that weren't trying to compete with Nintendo, and just were doing the "mature gamer" thing.
This led rise to a company seeing the profits the PS2 was making, and deciding that if they could copy their "mature games" style, patent it, and expand it to leech money off people on a monthly basis, then they could just make the same money Sony is making, but more of it, faster, and with less effort. This was Microsoft, and the creation of the Xbox.
When Halo hit the scene, tons of fans started switching over to Xbox. Sony was basically pissed, something they were just doing to be different and unique from Nintendo, was now being used to defeat them, so they doubled down on their own style. This led to the era of the "brown and grey fps competition", which goes on to this very day. Nintendo has its ups and downs, and typically refuses to change at a fast or drastic pace, while Sony and Microsoft fight over which side has the more realistic dog scars and interactive smoke.

Really, the world would have been very different if Microsoft had never gotten into consoles. If Sony's only "competition" was Nintendo, they would be way more experimental then they are now.
>>
>>376481876
I pointed out that calling this a competition that benefits the consumer is a farce. Right now it's designed to screw the consumer as much as possible. If they were really interested in competing directly they would not only discontinue exclusivity for games, but they would develop their hardware to use the same exact media.

Buy a movie on blu-ray recently? Notice how most of the time it comes with a DVD version, and a version you can watch on your computer through a streaming service?

Notice how the hardware manufacturers of movie players don't do this exclusive bullshit? Notice how convenient it is for the consumer? Hardware manufacturers focus only on improving their product and making is stand out with its features. They do not orchestrate an elaborate stage whereby they can prevent people who do not but their hardware from having access to something they want to watch. It's a shitty business practice. There's no rational reason why console manufacturers would fundamentally alter the way their machines interpret the same original data unless their focus is to artificially drive a wedge into the market.
>>
File: laughing sluts.gif (967KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing sluts.gif
967KB, 500x500px
>>376481895
>he believes in meme posting
>>
>>376482392
The thing is consoles have never operated like this. All the analogies are fine and dandy but this is a different space.
If every Console did play the same game, what would actually set them apart? Features, right? Like maybe Sony let you rewind games, whereas Microsoft might let you fast forward.

Is that really much more beneficial to the industry than one Company making games specifically to compete with another and outshine them? It leads to better quality games, new IP's, and a lot of other good stuff. >>376482124 went into it a bit, illustrating how the competition has shaped what we have now.

I think both Sony and Microsoft would label themselves as direct competitors. I understand your point about exclusives being a burden for the consumer, but for the industry at large competition has resulted in very good things, the PS1 being a large one.
>>
>>376479341
But they do have a show floor booth, it's just not as big as Nintendo's or Sony's
>>
The company that never bothered to feed and take care of the golden goose (halo) is fucking off

Glad
>>
>>376477108
Xbone is going to do at least 50m lifetime, those aren't "leaving the gaming industry" numbers.
>>
File: 4L_v5ZyumAJ.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
4L_v5ZyumAJ.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>376479848
>tfw my 3 360s, Xbox HUEG, and Xbox One all still turn on and can play vidya
>>
>>376481538
they're not appearing on E3, that means they're completely dead
>>
>>376483458
They are appearing at E3 though, you retard. They just have a smaller convention space than Sony and Nintendo
>>
>>376482906
>Like maybe Sony let you rewind games, whereas Microsoft might let you fast forward.
Your lack of imagination for improvements that can be made mirrors their lack of imagination and reluctance to adhere to the same standards and directly compete.

The longer they do not directly compete the longer they can both survive by dividing a naturally homogeneous consumer base. This is an oligopoly.

I'm not suggesting there needs to be a monopoly. You're behaving as though I am. I'm advocating that they compete using ONLY the differences with their hardware and what they can do with it while using the same media. All of their effort and development would be driving innovation to actually perform better just like PC hardware manufacturers do. There would be a quantum leap in improvements once they stop spending so much time and effort deciding which publishers' palms to grease or developer to back.

Not only would the customer be better off, but developing games would take less time and money which would generally result in higher quality across the board.

I'm done trying to illustrate to you how their competition is a sham designed to convince you that it might be worth it to buy multiple machines that do the exact same thing.
>>
>>376477290
Of course, with how everyone and their mom is installing valve's OS, microsoft should be worried sick.
>>
>>376483531
nope, dead as a doornail, not my fault that you don't know how industry works.
>>
File: 4L_0FBrWR0f.jpg (29KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
4L_0FBrWR0f.jpg
29KB, 490x333px
>>376483761
>>
>microsoft doesnt have an e3

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/microsoft-e3-2017-press-conference-set-june-11

wheres this shit coming from?
>>
File: lol-he-mad.jpg (10KB, 236x175px) Image search: [Google]
lol-he-mad.jpg
10KB, 236x175px
>>376483913
i can post meme pictures too
you can't deny the facts tho
>>
>>376484093
I'm not the one who thinks his opinions are facts.
>>
>>376484170
That sounds like an opinion, but also a fact.
>>
>>376484170
sorry you had to learn it the hard way kiddo
bite the pillow next time
>>
>>376483686
>Your lack of imagination for improvements that can be made
Come on anon it was a quick example. It's like 6 in the morning here and I'm tired af. Cut me some slack.
>I'm done trying to illustrate to you how their competition is a sham
No, I'm seeing your points quite well and I understand what you're saying. But with the same note, I don't think cutting out differences in software is really all that beneficial. We may never have seen Crash, Halo, Forza, Yakuza or other Console greats if Console makers weren't out to one up each other. It's fitting E3 is around the corner because they're trying to do it there too.
I do find your proposal interesting, I'm just struggling to see how it'd really work, when consoles have never worked this way. What you're describing basically is a PC at the end of the day and I'm not sure all games played on one machine would really lead to a renewed focus on innovation.
>>
>>376477174
>More CONTROLLED competition is actually a good thing you child
Yeah, no. I rather have no options than fake ones.
>>
>>376477108
*crosses fingers*
Sony next sony next sony next sony next
>>
>>376484542
Guessing you must be loving persona 5 then
>>
>>376484085
Aren't they saying they don't have a booth? Different thing.
>>
>>376484612
I wouldn't know. What would persona have to do with no real choices?
>>
>>376483731
>>376480063
>>376480284

>say valve is outdoing microsoft in the gaming sales department
>"LOL yeah, SteamOS is totally gonna replace WINDOWS idiotttt!1!"
why do you assume such stupid things?
>>
>>376484792
Just another flavor of the month anime trash game with tons of dialogue choices, yet none of them seem to matter. Been watching my brother play it and everytime he responds to a friend or text, they just say ... or yeah...
>>
>threads shitting on Nintendo routinely pruned
>threads shitting on MS, Sony, PC allowed to go on until bump limit and 404
You guys were right about /v/ mods.
>>
Now if only they woukd take the "gaming features" out of windows and stop hindering my experience
>>
>>376484918
You know, autistic manchildren with their nintendos makes me cringe, but sony kids fresh from neogaf make me pissed. In this case, sony kids are worse. I hope scorpio and switch team up and slam dunk the piece of shit 4
>>
>>376484523
>We may never have seen Crash, Halo, Forza, Yakuza or other Console greats if Console makers weren't out to one up each other
Unfortunately I can't give you examples of amazing games we could have gotten or should have gotten if things were difference, but I can say with almost certainty that games like that would still exist even without the oligopoly.

>What you're describing basically is a PC
PC hardware manufacturers learned a long time ago that there's more benefit to the market as a whole if everyone decides to play by the same rules. The rules being decided by a lot of different people and they call it best practices. When everything works and talks together regardless of who made it companies no longer need to invest precious resources creating entirely redundant divisions just to translate information to or from the things they want or don't want.

I am describing a PC, essentially. PCs perform the function exactly how it should be performed. Lots of different hardware, but it all works together. It's better for the consumer. It's better for the developer. There's no reason to segregate the consumers. Compete directly using features and prices.

Consoles don't need to exist at the end of the day. Not the consoles we have right now. They're a bastard middle ground of old technology and even older ways of thinking.
>>
>>376484807
How would those games even be doing without DirectX? And not just the Direct3D part.
Also, whenever they destroy your argument it proves your idiocy, not theirs. Don't get emotional about it.
>>
>>376485241
>I can say with almost certainty that games like that would still exist even without the oligopoly.
Well would there be a real drive to create them? Without exclusivity Sony/Microsoft sort of just sit back in the games department. It's not really like Toasters where the Bread is completely separate from the Machine.

I don't know, it really was a mindless shitpost that kicked it off but I just can't really imagine a world with consoles that were basically PC's, or even if we necessarily would be better off in terms of games

I think if nothing else you can still say the competition we do have has proven somewhat beneficial, even if by and large you hate it
>>
>>376477174
the "competition" microsoft brought to the industry is popularizing paid online, micro-transactions, brown and grey shooters, and accessibility so they can go fuck themselves
>>
>>376486161
>micro-transactions,
Did MS do this? I don't feel like this was their fault. Also accessibility isn't inherently bad, and I'm not sure MS did that either
>>
>>376486282
they were a big factor in popularizing it, it was present in the PC market but wasn't nearly as profound (or cancerous) until it hit the 360
>>
>>376486446
Was one of their games one of the first mainstream ones to have them? For some reason I thought it was Activision or one of those that kicked it off
>>
>>376486071
I think it comes down to the value we place on those exclusive games. I do not value them at all. You find something in them you like. You use their existence to justify this entirely bloated, backwards, and harmful system that does everything in its power to pry as much money from your wallet as it can.
>>
>>376486547
do you recall horse armor? That was the first instance microtransactions were viewed as being a cancer

https://www.giantbomb.com/microtransaction/3015-199/

>Microtransactions were made popular with the Xbox 360 on its Marketplace distribution platform. While designing the Xbox Live Marketplace, Microsoft envisioned players paying a quarter to download a new shirt for their character, to match them to their lifestyle. Microtransactions were later scrutinized for making people pay for what should have shipped on the game disc in the first place. Perhaps the most famous example of microtransactions gone wrong is the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion add-on "Horse Armor". The game's designer Bethesda put up an optional add-on which would shield the player's horse from weapons, but charged 200 Microsoft Points for it. The response was overwhelmingly negative.
>>
>>376486282
It wasn't, it was bethesda. MS provided the means to do it, but bethesda was the one trying to nickel and dime people for horse armor.
>>
>>376483686
>I'm advocating that they compete using ONLY the differences with their hardware and what they can do with it while using the same media.
why? this industry revolves around software, hardware is only one part of the market. if you want to see companies compete through hardware and offer nothing else go watch nvidia and amd fight it out, it's boring as fuck though. sega and nintendo already exhausted a lot hardware waring and it led to the standarized console, that's just what people want, it doesnt matter if your console can do a backlift or has the consumer friendliness of the xbox, its useless without games/software and thats what these companies are fighting each other with, not amd parts
>>
>>376486680
Nowadays they'd rather take 75% of the profit from work they didn't even do with paid mods. Bethesda leading the charge in "fuck you" business practices.
>>
>>376486805
You do not belong in this conversation. You do not understand it at all.
>>
>>376486680
>While designing the Xbox Live Marketplace, Microsoft envisioned players paying a quarter to download a new shirt for their character, to match them to their lifestyle
[Citation needed] surely? Just wondering whether its MS or the Publishers who shoved this shit in their game who're really to be blame
>>376486796
As such. Bethesda opened the doors, and with the rise of mobile gaming they basically became the floodgates
>>
>>376486867
>>376486867
i just dont understand why you want to see double down on hardware improvements when the consumer has demanded they want a standraized console, they've been through the hardware gimmick innovation faze, it leads nowhere. If you're so adamant asbout hardware innovations why don't you yell at nvidia and amd HQ and tell them about it? hardware is only one part of the game in which sony and microsoft compete. you're just retarded and dont know how business works
>>
>>376486609
>You use their existence to justify this entirely bloated, backwards, and harmful system that does everything in its power to pry as much money from your wallet as it can.
I'm not really using them to justify it, just saying that good has come out of it. I do value exclusives, not in that they are exclusive and others can't play them, but in that there are some quality games made in the pursuit of one company trying to outdo the other.

>to pry as much money from your wallet as it can.
I've seen you say this a bit. Outside of exclusives, care to explain? On a personal level, if you buy an Xbox you're only going to be buying games for your Xbox. Sure, it'd be better to have the freedom of buying either machine and playing any game, but it'd cost the same amount surely
>>
>>376486060
>Also, whenever they destroy your argument it proves your idiocy, not theirs.
what argument of mine did they btfo?
I never mentioned steam machines or steamos
>>
>>376486609
>that does everything in its power to pry as much money from your wallet as it can.

Welcome to capitalism you fucking retard. This is literally every single company including Valve.
>>
>tfw nintendo will probably do nothing but handhelds and mobile games by gen 10
>>
>>376487579
If Switch's early success is any indication that might not be so bad
>>
>>376477174

By competing in a way that they literally did not care about losses they made everything worse.

Microsoft and Sony forced everything into a situation where DLC is necessary and not having DLC means the game is too low budget to compete on a mass scale.
>>
>>376487697
>they literally did not care about losses
Don Mattrick says hi
>Microsoft and Sony forced everything into a situation where DLC is necessary
Publishers are at fault too desu
>>
>>376487106
You're so off target I don't have energy to thoroughly respond. Suffice it to say I am not doing what you think I'm doing or suggesting what you think I'm suggesting. I am, in point of fact, suggesting the opposite. You would realize this if you BOTHERED TO FUCKING READ A GOD DAMNED WORD. You are functionally illiterate. You do not belong in this conversation. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>376487491
A single company has the right to do this when it is competing with other companies. A bunch of companies colluding should not have this right.
>>
>>376480284
Holy fuck I forgot all about Steam Machines

>flopped horribly and never heard a peep about them again as being the console killers
>>
>>376487579
As long as those handhelds output to a TV, I'm perfectly fine with that. PC is where you go for power anyway.
>>
>>376477108
>>376477174

Dumb frogposters
>>
>>376488003
Respect the dead anon.
>>
>>376477108
thats actually bad, microsoft its actually keeping meme autistic child audience out of other platforms, just imagine all those kills on PC, PS or Nintendo, screaming and shitting your gaming experience.
>>
>>376487230
>but it'd cost the same amount surely
Only if exclusives did not exist and all games were released on all platforms. But since this does not currently happen customers have to pay extraordinarily more money if they want to play all of the games they're interested in.

This should not happen. Customers should demand better. But they don't because of people like you constantly apologizing for anti-consumer business practices.
>>
>>376487958
There were flawed products: too expensive to make and sell, came with a shit OS, but most of all they didn't have the marketing of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.
>>
>>376477174

Except this "competition" might as well be an undercover antitrust case with the price fixing and "we're all gonna do the same shitty things as each other".
>>
>>376478681

>paid online
>DLC
>microtransactions
>sabotaging Dreamcast
>announced new games to bait console sales and then canceled them
>>
>>376488154
>constantly apologizing for anti-consumer business practices
It's less that, more that in the console world there hasn't been an alternative. This is how it's always been ever since the getgo, and due to its beginnings it's really the way it had to be.
When people don't know of another way they don't clamour to try and change their current one. Like I said to you, I can't really even imagine consoles just basically being PC's

All in all though, I do think it'd be harmful if Microsoft left the industry now. Legit competition or not, them going down pretty much gives Sony free reign.
I'm also headed to sleep now, don't reckon the thread will be up when I awake so goodnight anon, was nice talking vidya
>>
>>376488406
>sabotaging dreamcast

oh you're retarded.
>>
>>376477174
Sure, this competition led to consumers having to make a choice or spend buckets of money just to play a title.
>I don't have a console
>Hey, this game came out for this console, and it's really cool, and I'd like to play it
>But wait this second game came out for this second console, and it's really cool, and I'd like to play it too
>Oh shit, a third game came out for a third console, and it's really cool, and I'd like to play that too
Buying all the consoles isn't exactly an investment everyone can make, and buying a console for a title makes that single game VERY expensive for the consumer. Moreover, buying a console for a game doesn't assure you there will be other games you will be happy to play on that specific console.
The splitting of the market like it is now isn't beneficial neither to the consumer, nor games.
>>
>>376488154
I was thinking about this the other day, Tokyo Mirage Sessions for example would've sold better if it was all platforms but it was a game Nintendo funded to make but why would they fund and make that game to go on other platforms? Is that anti consumer? I feel sorry for the developers in this situation
>>
>>376480576
>It was the normies eating up consoles that produced this dark age we are currently in
Then blame Nintendo for the Wii, my man.
>>
>>376488556

>Peter "fucking entitled gayhaters" Shithead burns Sega's NA market to the ground
>coincidentally is given an exec job at Microsoft immediately after
>>
>>376488419
Oh I agree that if Microsoft left right now the industry would be worse off for it. What I want is for the industry to evolve with the participation of every manufacturer and publisher. But that's just a fucking pipe dream because they have no reason to change as long as the money keeps coming.
>>
>>376488979
Actually he joined EA after sega
>>
>>376488154
Nintendo is the only anti-consumerist party here.

Microsoft and Sony graciously run their gaming divisions. Almost everything they do, they do to please the consumer.

Meanwhile, Nintendo exists.

When my Xbox360 RROD'd, I'd already known about RROD. I'd heard about it, and I'd heard Microsoft's direct responses to it. They extended the warranty to 2-years, and I got my Xbox360 replaced free of charge under that warranty, including them shipping me a paid postage box to ship it back to them. I was barely inconvenienced at all.

Meanwhile, launch Switches were faulty straight from the factory, dubious build quality, extremely overpriced plastic junk, nintendo's support website saying dumpster-tier LCD's are a feature, and worst of all any of my own attempts to contact Nintendo for support since the switch launch have been met with shady bullshit like them responding with pretending to have closed the support email address and cutting off all conversation - and it's not like you can look fucking ANYWHERE and find ANY kind of similar shit given to Nintendo or a response from them for the shitty Switches in stark contrast to Microsoft owning up for the eventual death of many early 360's.

>get 360
>get a solid year out of it
>it dies
>contact Microsoft
>get free replacement from microsoft

>get switch
>has issues day 3
>contact Nintendo through their web applet
>"we are closing this email address please use the online web applet"
>online web applet is just a forward to the email address i just fucking god a response from

F U C K
N I N T E N D O
>>
>>376488824
Developers get screwed by their publishers like this.
>>
File: 1450218132164.jpg (118KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
1450218132164.jpg
118KB, 848x900px
>>376477108
>Microsoft leaving the competition
>Rare's IPs going down with the sinking ship
>>
File: 1357272504480.png (2KB, 142x138px) Image search: [Google]
1357272504480.png
2KB, 142x138px
>>376489092
Last thing from Nintendo I bought was a Gamecube.
>>
>no exclusives except backwards compatibility
>essentially a steam machine with paid online
wew
>>
>>376478782
>Based Microsoft
>Based
>Microsoft
Fuck of Pajeet, your code sucks ass and Miscrosoft sucks even more thanks to your shitty code and kikery.
>>
>>376488979
Dreamcast sold well in North America. My two best friends at the time each had one and I really wanted one after I saw Phantasy Star Online being previewed in a gaming magazine.

Literally no idea what you're talkin about man. Moreover, Sony's PS2 pushed dreamcast out - and Microsoft came in and teamed up with Sega to deliver the Xbox which, for all intents and purposes, was virtually a Dreamcast 2. Same controller designs and button layout, same use of analog triggers, online ready, with quite a few really great Sega exclusively published games on the Xbox too.

Microsoft did good shit for Sega. Japan didn't. Japan cocksucked sony for the PS2 and it's DVD player then commenced to shit on the Xbox cause muh gaijin or whatever retarded garbage they were all about.

If you gotta hate someone over the dreamcast, hate the japanese consumers and Sony byproxy.
>>
>>376489185
Nintendo has changed a lot since 2002.

Last Nintendo console I legit enjoyed was the gamecube too.
>>
>>376489118
They agreed to work with Nintendo to make that game though
>>
>>376489301
>If you gotta hate someone over the dreamcast
Dreamcast did well in spite of Sega, not because of them. There was a fuckton of great third party content that was actually coming out in the US -- Soul Calibur is what sold the DC.
>>
>>376487293
>what argument of mine did they btfo?
That Valve and Microsoft were in direct competition somehow. They thrive off of each other.
>>
>>376489461
You're not understanding the timeline here, man.
>>
>>376489040

Incorrect, he was at MS for quite a few years before joining EA.
>>
>>376489619
Not one of those responses said that though.
>>
>>376489301

>Dreamcast sold well in North America.

And then the company suddenly stopped dead and started moving their titles over to Xbox at the insistence of Mr. EA Shithead.
>>
>>376490042
Yes they did, anon. Stop clinging to your failed case. Verdict is out: you're a faggot.
>>
>>376477174
This children is a dog whistle for "a race to the bottom is a good thing".
>>
Now we just need to get rid of sony and gaming is saved :)
>>
>>376490098
Fuck off, cunt.
>>
>>376490082
their games did pretty well on xbox, wasn't exactly a bad move.

Could have done even better if the jap consumers weren't mongoloid.

Again, if you gotta hate someone, hate Sony and japanese consumers. There were fantastic Sega games on the Xbox that would have sold even better in Japan if they weren't such brand loyal idiots. Definitive Xbox version of Shenmue 2 selling better could have given us Shenmue 3 a lot sooner. Panzer Dragoon Orta selling better could have given us more Panzer Dragoon. The definitive Xbox version of PSO could have inspired more PSO-like Phantasy Star games instead of their arbitrary shift to PSU's woeful redesigns. Sega also published multiple Xbox exclusive From Software games, including Murakumo and Otogi/Otogi 2.

Japs killed Sega to what they've become today, not Microsoft, nor Peter. If you're saying these games would have been on PS2 too if not for peter, well I argue they wouldn't have, or otherwise wouldn't have had the same impact if they were. Because they were on Xbox, they had fantastic graphics, or enhanced features, and silky smooth 60fps gameplay. Being on Xbox is what made them desirable, because Xbox was so much more graphically impressive than Playstation 2.

Hate japanese consumers. Always, always hate japanese consumers. They are mindless.
>>
>>376477108
That would be a terrible news.

We need competition otherwise sony would'just stop giving fuck'and sell overpriced shit with little quality.
>>
>>376490890
Jap consumers doged a bullet, look at what Xbox is today, I'd say they were pretty smart to avoid that cancerbox, it's a shame Sega was too butthurt to swallow their pride too.
>>
File: 1476213243977.gif (631KB, 212x176px) Image search: [Google]
1476213243977.gif
631KB, 212x176px
>>376491364
aaaaaaaaand you're retarded.
>>
>>376479341
>>376481192
They're doing their own show, the xbox fanfest.
>>
>>376491459
why
>>
>>376477174
no forced directx12 games is a good thing you retard
>>
File: 5173801529_0f3a6be8b8.jpg (80KB, 476x349px) Image search: [Google]
5173801529_0f3a6be8b8.jpg
80KB, 476x349px
>>376477108
Xbox Play Anywhere was a mistake

Everyone buys a platform by the software, not by the platform itself.
>>
>>376496757
Play Anywhere is just their push for the Xbox brand to become part of their Windows ecosystem
>>
>>376498438
Taking away exclusives, yeah cool.
>>
>>376498748
It is desu but people will shit on them for it because >console wars
>>
>>376478815
>online console gaming
Who cares. Literally what did Xbox Live have that PS3s online didn't that was worth paying money for?
>>
You fool, microsoft is playing 10D chess. They're not making game consoles anymore and will spend their money on getting exclusives for the Windows store. Then they're going to prevent all Windows 10 users from using win32 programs, effectively shutting down steam, their only real competition, ensuring their total domination of the market.

You poor peasants won't see it coming
>>
>>376488234
they had no exclusives since the entire point of them is that they were linux PCs
honestly they were doomed to fail
>>
>sony won
>>
>>376500037
> Literally what did Xbox Live have that PS3s online didn't that was worth paying money for?

Not having your credit card information stolen, shutting down their online service for 2 months in retaliation for starters.
>>
>>376500308
This isn't in defense of Sony, but I doubt paying would have changed that. Sony just dropped the ball fucking hard, it had little to do with their online services.
>>
File: 1427465799537.jpg (552KB, 1234x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1427465799537.jpg
552KB, 1234x1024px
>>376500251
Imagine MS would leave the OS marketing and Sony would do their own OS for PC.
>>
>>376477290
>How pathetic.

You will eat these words when they release the orange box 2
>>
But Microsoft arn't leaving the gaming industry. They're bringing all the halo games to steam.
>>
>>376477108
>Microsoft is putting out brand new hardware
>Phil Spencer still traveling the globe to talk with 3rd parties
>Microsoft already putting thought into what the next Xbox will be

Sure "leaving"
>>
File: whyyy.jpg (12KB, 341x359px) Image search: [Google]
whyyy.jpg
12KB, 341x359px
>>376500060
>mfw this will actually be true
>>
File: 1492211924761~02.jpg (168KB, 1041x956px) Image search: [Google]
1492211924761~02.jpg
168KB, 1041x956px
>>376478681
>Based Microsoft
>>
>>376502034
>Muh Edward Snowden
Fuck off with this normie bullshit
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.