[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

its been a while since we have a monitor vs HDTV thread. where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

its been a while since we have a monitor vs HDTV thread.

where is the best place to play games on /v/
>>
>>376473051

>165hz 1440p monitor vs 60hz 1080 TV

What do you think, dumbass?
>>
TVs are cheaper Monitors are better, difference is nigh unless you're a HARDCORE GAMER.
>>
>>376473051
And as always the best solution is Large Format Monitor.
A 40-48" 2160p display combines the low response time and typical PPI of the average computer monitor, with the screen size and general purpose usefulness of a TV.
>>
>>376473181
please mention the costs of these things when you make such comparisons

the first one costs about 4 times as much as the latter if I use average prices
>>
>>376473051
monitors are for working on, TV's are for consuming content on
why would you ever use a monitor over a nice big telly?
>>
literally move your chair closer to your monitor.
>>
sicne i get OLED, nothing compare

4k@60hz or 1080p@hz120hz.
>>
>>376473051
I'm playing on a 40 inch samsung tv that runs at 60hz and 1080p. I'm also playing from my bed and my computer is shit so I only play games at 1080p anyway.
>>
>>376473302
I bought a refurbished 24" 1440p 165hz monitor for $350. Whats the average price for a 1080 TV youre referencing?
>>
>>376473304
Unless you're talking about 60+" TVs that you're sitting fairly close to its a non issue.
We're not in the bad old days of being utterly stagnant with 24" 1080p as about the only monitors you can find.
40"+ monitors are a thing now as an alternative to multi-monitor setups.

Cost wise they're also usually similar to 2 or 3 small monitors. Mine was $600 a couple of years ago.
>>
>>376473304
PCs are for working on, Consoles are for consuming content on, why would you ever use a PC over a nice console?
>>
TV's tend to have way too much input lag for serious gaming. A cheap monitor will always be the better choice over a cheap TV or any TV that doesn't cost over a thousand dollars.
>>
>>376475118
Those thousand dollar TVs are often more about aesthetics than having good internals.
What you really want is a semi-pro large format display.
>>
4k Oled TV for games that aren't competitive. AKA single player games that can be played with a controller hooked up to the PC.

2k 144hz Gaming monitor for competitive games. FPS RTS etc.
>>
Maybe this is a relevant enough thread but am I a madman for seriously considering one TN panel monitor for gaming and one IPS panel monitor for movies, web browsing, etc? Anyone tried two different types of monitors? I hear it drives some people crazy. They are both 1440p and want to do dual monitors.
>>
>>376473304
Well, input lag, for one. Fastest monitors have lag of about 1ms, even fast TVs are still more than 20ms.
>>
>>376475937
I have that except theyre different sizes and resolution. I have a benq 1440p TN monitor for gaming and IPS 1080p HP monitor for movies and other shit.
>>
>>376475937
I did that and it drove me nuts. A single big 2160p monitor is better.
>>
>>376473051
Computer monitor, higher refresh rates are much more commonly available and a monitor generally has much lower input lag versus a TV.
>>
>>376476406
And it hasn't really bothered you? That's good. 1440p has really come down over the last few years in price. Newegg's got a 1440p IPS from acer for 245 bucks so I think I might bite onto that.
>>
Is there a /v/-approved list of low input delay TVs?
>>
>>376476645
Shit man I hear mixed opinions everywhere I've asked. Was it any particular one of the two that drove you crazy or was it just switching between the two that you hated?
>>
For PCs monitors objectively cause muh input lag.

For consoles you have a better TV argument since input lag is somewhat less of a big deal.
>>
File: 1385954592440.jpg (6KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
1385954592440.jpg
6KB, 204x247px
a TV is a monitor with
>shit input lag
>added bad speakers
>worse image quality
>worse color quality

there's literally no reason to buy a TV instead of a monitor, even if you're a consolefag, it's still better to get a monitor+logitech speakers combo

just kidding, consolefags want things to be as easy as possible and don't give a single shit about quality
>>
>>376476991
Switching between the two was a pain, but the worst thing is that it really forces you into a particular work flow. You've got one display good for some things and another good for others and depending on what you're doing that can be really inconvenient.

Having a single big display lets you use the space however you want and there's no bezels to get in the way.

There are compromises with having one big display, they're usually still 60hz, the most common technology VA is kind of halfway between IPS and TN, but its better than a pair of work displays and a TV.
>>
>>376476976
Any CRT. They're pretty much free.
>>
>>376473051
I wish gaming tvs existed
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.