[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is /v/ finally ready to let go of the farce that is the "zelda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

File: 1494281808627.jpg (170KB, 675x716px) Image search: [Google]
1494281808627.jpg
170KB, 675x716px
Is /v/ finally ready to let go of the farce that is the "zelda timeline"?
>>
>there are games which directly reference previous games in the series, sometimes being direct sequels
>"there is no timeline"
>>
I know Zelda II is supposed to be a sequel, and LttP is supposed to be a prequel, but come on. There is no correlation between them.

Why do gamers have such a hard time with AUs? Comics, books, movies all have reboots and AUs regularly. Its like they want a singular storyline to last 50 years.
>>
>>376418291
You're forgetting the part where the references are either: a few lines of dialogue and/or a throwaway location/reference.

It's literally nothing, Zelda faggots trying to rationalise their moronic cult need to off themselves.
>>
>>376418291
WW is not a direct sequel of any game, just like BoTW isnt. What you call a direct continuation is actually fan service
>>
>>376418085
Small brain: Believing there is no timeline, because Nintendo makes them up as they go.

Average brain: Believing Nintendo's official timeline

Ascended brain: Realizing that Nintendo's official timelines has some discrepancies from in-game information.
>>
>>376418085
The 3D games are pretty well connected. Except Breath of the Wild, which deliberately goes the complete opposite direction from Skyward Sword.
>>
It obvious there is one, but it was thought up with OoT since it was heavily story based. That's why the first 4 games are in a separate timeline, cause they weren't thought of in a grander sense.

There are sequels to many Zelda games, you can't ignore that, so there are timelines in itself in that sense.
>>
>>376418520
WW isn't a direct sequel but it explicitly is about the consequences of what happened after Ocarina of time.
>>
The Zelda timeline was a fun game that didn't make any sense anyways.
Nintendo made an official one and it isn't fun anymore, and it doesn't make any sense anyways.
>>
There are certainly some interconnected games that intentionally reference each other or are directly related.
OoT->MM
OoA/OoS->Links Awakening
AlttP->AlbW
LoZ->Links Adventure
WW->PH->ST

I do agree though, that trying to forcibly all tie them together into one and the same continuity is stupid.
>>
>>376418697
Wrong. The intro implies the return of ganon AKA Zelda II. Zelda timeline fags arent even knowledgable about these games
>>
People trying to deny that they weren't linking the games as early as Zelda 2 is the weirdest form of fucking denial I've ever seen.
>>
GANNON-BANNED
>>
>zelda
>timeline
boy am i laffin
>>
>>376418779
this desu fampai
>>
The opening cutscene to Wind Waker fucking talks about OoT.

Ever since OoT, it was story heavy.
>>
>>376418779
>OoA/OoS->Links Awakening

>Nintendos offical timeline puts LA after LttP
>>
So this is what it's come to... After years and years of arguing the timeline, and even getting official confirmation, people still refuse to believe. Or maybe they're too retarded to comprehend. I don't know.

All I know is that anyone who doesn't know Zelda's timeline is the most casual of all casuals. Because Zelda is already a casual series as it. is. You can't be a fan of it, and not know the timeline, unless you're so fucking casual, that you can't be bothered to learn the plot of a child's game.

I'm disgusted.
>>
There is no timeline.
Zelda is the same story being told over and over hence the "legend" of Zelda.
>>
I don't give a shit if Nintendo makes it up as they go, it's fun to pretend otherwise and try to make shit up about it.
>>
>>376418085
nah, I like the timeline. Gives a sense of cohesiveness which adds to the game
>>
File: zeldatimeline.jpg (876KB, 1080x951px) Image search: [Google]
zeldatimeline.jpg
876KB, 1080x951px
>>
>>376418935
Wrong. Compare the intro slide in WW to the game over screen in Zelda II.
>>
>>376418423
Comics are rife with AUs because they make the main line such a cluster of nonsense that they serve as an escape from the mess they created.
>>
>>376418291
Games clearly reference each ither, but fitting them all into one autistic timeline when they were clearly NOT made with every game in mind is pointless.

The standing "official" timeline has more contradictions than it does accuracies.
>>
>>376419157
Hows that different from many games stories today?
>>
>>376418779
Isn't LA a direct sequel to Lttp?
>>
>>376418597
This. They've made a clear effort with the console games to have some connectivity. But not everything else.
>>
>>376419246
According to Nintendo it is. Despite Link leaving oit to sea on a sail boat at the end of the linked-game OoS/A. The timeline is so real, guys, even Nintendo cant keep it straight
>>
>>376418779
>WW->PH->ST
This is the only three games with continuity outside of fanfiction
>>
>>376419523
don't both oracle games and LA follow the same link? so that's 2 trilogies
>>
>>376418085
There are three timelines

Original was
ALttP->LA->TLOZ->Zelda II

OoX are their own thing which do not tie in

MC->FS->FSA follow their own timeline

After the clusterfuck that was OoT's handling of the story a rebooted timeline was created which includes:

SS->OoT->WW->PH->ST
\MM->TP

BOTW is outside timeline, which means all the other games are legends foretold into the Breath of the Wild myths
>>
>>376418085

I really enjoyed Zelda more when each game was its own world.

now they have to follow merican capeshit multiverse bullshit just like Dragon Ball super.

multiverse is a meme just as open world.
>>
File: Windw Waker intro Hero of Time.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Windw Waker intro Hero of Time.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>376419094
You mean this one, where they directly reference the Hero of Time?
>>
>>376419701
>BOTW is outside timeline, which means all the other games are legends foretold into the Breath of the Wild myths

nice headcannon
>>
>>376419689
No. Officially, according to Nintendo, OoS/A link is different from LA link
>>
>>376419878
source?
>>
>>376419935
Nintendo
>>
>>376419701
>BOTW is outside timeline

Didn't the runes in Zora's Domain state that OoT happened 10,000 years before BotW?
>>
>>376419779
Youre being dishonest. The next slide is a recreation of the game over screen from Zelda II
>>
>>376419976
right so you're wrong. got it
>>
File: 2smug.png (199KB, 439x392px) Image search: [Google]
2smug.png
199KB, 439x392px
>>376420014
>OoT happened 10,000 years before BotW?

and somehow a wooden fence is still in place.
>>
>>376420014
No. The sheikah metal gears were used on Ganon 10000 years before botw. All zelda games IF they exist in the botw universe happen an indeterminate amount of time before
>>
>>376419802
Well there's no official word now, so everyone has to go with headcanon

The amiibio tunics' descriptions if you count them, make it possible

Also, I found the three whales stuff a nod to them not knowing it either
>>376420014
10.000 years ago it was not OoT, it was that other ancient hero with mecha octorocs army stuff

They mention Ruto, but she was in all the timelines, besides, it doesn't really contradicts what I said
>>
the timeline was a marketing gimmick to sell a lore book
>>
>>376420062
Its in Hyrule Historia, guy.
>>
>>376420014

No. The battle 10,000 years ago when the Divine Beats first showed up was not OoT. How fucking retarded do you have to be to think that?
>>
File: ai-chan-hype.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ai-chan-hype.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
So the answer is "NO /v/ IS NOT READY"

got it
>>
>>376420035
You're thinking of Ganon's silhouette. Which actually happens two slides before this one. But in reality, the silhouette in Wind Waker, looks very little like the on in Zelda II. Also, if you recall, Ganon does assume his pig form at the end of OoT. So that's what they're referencing.
>>
>>376420081
>Fan service doesnt exist in Zelda. Every detail is clue to find where it goes in the timeline!
>>
>>376420390
nigga I'm OP

I literally think this is a farce

I'm just having fun
>>
>>376420369
You really really want it to be a sequel to OoT but it isnt. The lore is contradictory, its a sequel to BOTH!
>>
Zelda games have loosely strung together similar themes, but none of them could be part of a timeline since their settings are just reconstituted versions of the same story. Whatever made up timeline people think is real is the result of literal children having baby's-first lore discussion and some localization morons at Nintendo cobbling together some content for a book which is directly contradicted by the actual games.
>>
>>376420516
Op, dont be fag. Dont false flag your own threads. Be authentic in your posts. Ironic shitposting lures you-know-whos
>>
File: 1PAsWXC.jpg (128KB, 1250x450px) Image search: [Google]
1PAsWXC.jpg
128KB, 1250x450px
where does MARIO 64 sit in the timeline?
>>
>>376418861
I get the joke but the game refers specifically to the hero of time
>>
>>376420605
Some games are connected some not
Only an idiot couldn't see WW is a direct sequel to OoT
Likewise, it's evident some games are standalone, like the capcom ones
>>
>>376418085
>SS, lttp, zelda2, OoT, Zelda 1, tp, mm, ww

Yea that's pretty much it. The other games are bad or non essential.
>>
>>376419221
The official timeline is pretty much what everybody knew, patched up with superglue glue. The only thing that really needed to be resolved was how the fuck OoT could be a prequel to ALttP and the GameCube games, and the ambiguous gameboy ones like Oracles/FS.
>>
>>376420734
Why would it refer to both games? The point is its a very very very loose sequel to a few games if you want it to be. There was never a plan for an over arching story.
>Zelda - beta
>Zelda II - experimental sequel
>Zelda 3 - zelda 1 on snes. The real first zelda
>Zelda OoT - zelda 1 in 3D. The real first zelda
>>
>>376420718
Can't forget pm link.
>>
File: 1494342586754.jpg (345KB, 675x956px) Image search: [Google]
1494342586754.jpg
345KB, 675x956px
>>376418085
>>
Well.

When Zelda 2 came out, it was an obvious sequel to Zelda 1.

Like to the Past came out, and was stated to be a prequel to Zelda 1.

Ocarina of Time came out, and was stated to be a prequel to LttP.

Majora's Mask came out, and was an obvious sequel to OoT.

Wind Waker came out, and was stated to be a sequel to the adult timeline of OoT.

Twilight Princess came out, and was stated to be a sequel to the child timeline of OoT.

Skyward Sword came out, and was stated to be a prequel to OoT.

Then Hyrule Historia revealed the nature in which LttP was a sequel to Ocarina of Time.

Seems like a pretty clear timeline.
>>
>>376419060
This made me laugh a bit
>>
File: photo_2016-10-11_20-34-33.jpg (20KB, 720x246px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-10-11_20-34-33.jpg
20KB, 720x246px
>>376419060
Communism rarpresents the bad guy right?
>>
File: 40.png (34KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
40.png
34KB, 300x100px
>>376422272
>>
>>376422272
what would the actual answer even be?
>>
Every character looks and behaves differently in every Zelda game, if there's going to be continuity of story there needs to be continuity of characters
>>
>>376418085
when will people trying to stop BotW somewhere into the timeline and realize that it's entirely fanservice and has no place in canon. it's not like that fact makes it a worse game.
>>
>>376420605
nah it's nothing to do with localization, even the Japanese ALttP said it was a prequel
>>
>>376422917
Actually, since BotW is by far the most popular and loved Zelda game, BotW is now the Zelda canon, and all other games are non-canon. The next Zelda game will take place in the BotW universe.
>>
>>376423117
agreed, like how everyone loved the samus redesign and now it's canon with every new depiction of samus featuring it
nintendo cares about money and popularity, nothing else
>>
>>376421608
Pretty much. The only thing HH really pulled out of its ass was cleaning up with Link to the Past, Ocarina connection.
>>
File: Lon_Lon_Ranch.png (3MB, 1247x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Lon_Lon_Ranch.png
3MB, 1247x1329px
>>
>>376418779
/thread.
To say there is absolutely no connection is untrue, it's more like they initially wanted a bunch of small tie-ins story that directly continue with a respective game but in the grand scheme all different games that don't connect together at once, and Nintendo only said so because people kept bitching about it .

It's like if the series kept "soft rebooting" itself, but not really.
>>
OK FAGGOTS I MY UNCLE WORKS FOR NINTENDO AND I WILL TELL YOU A SECRET

This secret article will answer all your questions I promise it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend

>A legend is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and demonstrating human values, and which possesses certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude. Legend, for its active and passive participants, includes no happenings that are outside the realm of "possibility", but may include miracles. Legends may be transformed over time, in order to keep them fresh and vital, and realistic. Many legends operate within the realm of uncertainty, never being entirely believed by the participants, but also never being resolutely doubted.
>Many legends operate within the realm of uncertainty
>Legends may be transformed over time
>never being entirely believed by the participants, but also never being resolutely doubted
>never ENTIRELY BELIEVED by the participants, but also NEVER being resolutely DOUBTED
>symbolic representation of folk belief
>SYMBOLIC

IT IS CALLED """LEGEND""" OF ZELDA. GET IT? KILL YOURSELVES.
>>
There is no one , overall zelda timeline.

But certain games are direct sequels of others

e.g. Majora's mask is a direct sequel of ocarina of time. (obviously)

links awakening is a direct sequel to A link to the past (same art style for link)

the phantom hour glass and spirit tracks are both sequels to the wind waker (same art style)

the oracle of seasons games might be considered also a sequel to OOT since it shows epona, you have Impa and twinrova as returning cahracters.

I never played the later ones os there might be some implied sequels there.

But other than that, there is no overall timeline.

Ocarina of time is not somehow a prequel or sequel to A Link to the past. They're alternate retellings.

Similarly the original legend of zelda's only sequel is the adventure of link.

thinking that there is an overall timeline is concentrated autism.
>>
>>376423583
>a stone archway turned into 2 wooden posts with a plank attached between them over time
stupid
>>
>>376418779
Eh, it's a bit more than that. OoT's obviously meant to be a prequel to ALttP and TWW is clearly a sequel to OoT.
>>
>>376423879
>Ocarina of time is not somehow a prequel or sequel to A Link to the past. They're alternate retellings.
Ocarina of Time has the origin story for Ganon that was mentioned in A Link to the Past. The whole reason he swear revenge on their descendants is because it's a call forward due to being a prequel.
>>
>>376423991
>OoT's obviously meant to be a prequel to ALttP
Yes but it fucked up the lore so bad you could say that was their intention, but it ended up being a reboot
>>
>>376418432
>BotW directly references OoT, Skyward Sword and TP.
>>
>>376418861
Yeah. It mentions the Hero of Time directly and vaguely Majora's Mask.
>>
>>376421608
None of these were "stated" as prequels and sequels when they came out, except for SS, which was a prequel to the entire series, not just OoT.
>>
>>376423983
Yeah there's no way people could have replaced a crumbling entrance, it must have just magically turned into wood.
>>
>>376421608
Finally someone with common sense.
Nintendo's official timeline is exactly what people expected besides the positioning of the downfall timeline.
The "they're all Legends" theory is the only other acceptable position.
>>
>>376423879
>links awakening is a direct sequel to A link to the past
When the official lore contradicts what happens in the games
>>
>There is no timeline you autists reeeeeeeeee
>The most autistic timeline posters are timeline denialists

Really makes you think
>>
>>376418085
>wahhhh Nintendo disproved my fanon

The "every game is a retelling" theory was never true, let it go.
>>
>>376424395
>directly
>that one time in the entire fucking game where zelda utters the words time, skyward and twilight in a speech, of which we have zero context.
>not simply an easter egg
You're right, anon, I think you're up to something, clearly there's a grand plan here.
>>
>>376424395
>says the word time
>IS THIS AN OOT REFERENCE???
>>
>>376426996
>an entire line of dialogue is nothing but fan service
>because if it wasn't I wouldn't like it
>>
>>376418432
>You're forgetting the part where the references are either: a few lines of dialogue and/or a throwaway location/reference.

Nigga Wind Waker literally is about preventing OoT's Hyrule from being brought back
>>
>>376424897
ALttP is stated to be a prequel on its box.
>>
>>376418085
nintendo made up that timeline to feed their autistics faggots fans
>>
the thing is they confirmed timeline places when the games were coming out, and then contradicted themselves later with the "official" timeline

Zelda 2 was confirmed to be a direct sequel
LttP was a prequel
LA was a direct sequel to LttP
OoT was a prequel to everything
MM was a direct sequel to OoT

It was pretty straightforward up to that point, but then they officially confirmed the timeline split during the development of post MM games, which looks like the official timeline. Then when the original 4 games (aka the good ones) didn't fit in the new timeline they shoved them into the Link is Dead timeline

anyway, everyone knows the true patrician timeline is the one that was on the official nintendo site in 1997 that had only 1 link and made no sense.
>>
>>376418085
>>376418520
>>376418779
>>376418891
>>376419523
>>376419701
>>376420605
>>376423810

ANYONE who doesnt think the games connect together well, or that the timeline was just made up right by Skyward Sword's release, is a fucking retard.

No exceptions.

Every single game makes sense where it is, every game was referenced as being where it is either by game evidence or Nintendo stating it.

They stated that the timeline was split when Wind Waker released.

When Four Swords released they said it was the earliest game at the time (which it was)

Things like Link's Awakwning starting on a raft and the Oracle games ending on a raft made it clear they knew what they were doing.

They have the timeline in mind for a very long time

If this simple shit is too hard to understand, you are just fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1427421152953.jpg (884KB, 1200x660px) Image search: [Google]
1427421152953.jpg
884KB, 1200x660px
>>376418085
I group them based on continuity.
>SS
>MC, FS, FSA
>OoT, MM
>OoT, TP
>OoT, WW, PH, ST
>ALBW, TH
>ALttP, Oracles, LA, TLoZ, TAoL
>>
>>376427941
Only in the localization, in Japan it is known as Triforce of the Gods.
>>
>>376418085
Wow, you really need to be an enlightened genius to pick up on the fact they made that shit up later, since faggots were pestering them.
The best thing they did was splitting it into three different lines to make it look like they actually thought about this for more than five minutes in the Hyrule Historia editor meetings.
>>
>>376430427
But LttP, WW and TP were allways three sequels specifically to OoT, and the split timeline came about near Majora's Mask's release
>>
>>376430427
Looks like half the posters ITT are braindead then
>>
File: the real zelda timeline.jpg (447KB, 880x721px) Image search: [Google]
the real zelda timeline.jpg
447KB, 880x721px
>>376418085
There's a Zelda timeline alright
>>
>>376431975
>N64 z targeting shit
>Golden era

Ahahahahahahah
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.