[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did all the skill based games, like starcraft, streetfighter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: 1493979036921.gif (2MB, 360x220px) Image search: [Google]
1493979036921.gif
2MB, 360x220px
Why did all the skill based games, like starcraft, streetfighter 4, quake etc all die?

Is it because nu gamers can't handle losing? What the fuck happened?

All the "esports" shit and "competitive games" are like fucking uno or checkers in comparison to the games they replaced. Even CSGO, which is retarded RNG shit compared to CS1.6, and even that had a lower skill ceiling than quake because quake required you to move fast as fuck AND aim like crazy at the same time. Not to mention how laughable ASSFAGGOTS and trash like overwatch is. Even street fighter V, which is an abomination compared to 4, third strike, and super sf2 turbo, still probably requires the most skill out of all the 'esports' (hate that term) out there. Even so it's the SMALLEST FUCKING ONE.

Why has any skill ceiling been stripped from every game for casual gamers? There is not one good popular competitive game, they're all dead.
>>
>>376364358
If youre so good, why arent you dominating?

If the pros of yore are so good, why arent they dominating?

CHECKMATE
ATHEISTS
>>
>>376364358
It's pretty simple: Those games are awful for spectating, and end up drawing a smaller crowd because of it
>>
>>376364454
>If youre so good, why arent you dominating?
because I'd rather gas myself than play csgo, overwatch, or an assfaggot

>If the pros of yore are so good, why arent they dominating?
age (makes reaction time drop like a rock) and being used to older games that required skill instead of being a spammy sperg
>>
>>376364358
Most people are casuals, even in here. People made non stop threads ridiculing L4D versus mode because it was started to become hip to hate on Valve. At the same time there were tons of Killing Floor threads, a co-op game full of catchphrases and funny memes!
>>
File: 1492892021130.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492892021130.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>376364627
excuses, excuses
>>
Hardly anyone makes """difficult""" games anymore. It's why shit like Dark Souls currently has so much appeal. Not because it's especially difficult, but because it's not braindead easy like most modern games.

Modern games are made to be accessible to as wide of an audience as possible to rake in the shekels.
>>
>>376364758
what did you not understand about

>because I'd rather gas myself than play csgo, overwatch, or an assfaggot

I cannot play csgo or assfaggots. I only play real hardcore games which are fucking on life support now because of assfaggots and casualized fps.
>>
>>376364358
Sorry your main and got nerfed anon.

Try picking a more skilled character next time.
>>
>>376364790
>Not because it's especially difficult, but because it's not braindead easy like most modern games.

This is the fucking world we live in. Where an easy dungeon crawling action RPG with no depth to the combat (I like souls but I won't pretend it's more than it is) is considered the most HARDCORE GAME EVER and arena fps, fighting, and RTS are basically raped and forgotten in an alleyway.

Fuck modern gaming. Everything's been consumerized, dumbed down, and commercialized. It's a disgrace.
>>
>>376365056
>Sorry your main and got nerfed anon.
yeah I'm kind of upset millia rage is getting nerfed desu but I'm ok with it
>>
I noticed that games today tend to hold the player's hand. In some older games, you either had to explore or experiment to learn or find things. For example the secret rooms in Castlevaina SOTN, many people today would miss them.
>>
>>376364358
I see retards like on a daily basis in /hsg/. Funny how all you can complain but never actually achieve anything in those "easy" and "skill-less" games.
>>
>>376365417
>Funny how all you can complain but never actually achieve anything in those "easy" and "skill-less" games.
Maybe because I don't fucking play them, retard? Why do you spergs keep making posts like this. I don't play your shitty games. I just lament what they have done to my hobby.
>>
>>376365121
>Everything's been consumerized, dumbed down, and commercialized
Fucking this.
>>
>>376364358
becuase they're not fun.

people play whats fun.

people dont like losing either.
>>
>sf4 is skill based

fucking lmao kid
>>
File: 1444687817316.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
1444687817316.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>376365557
You don't play them, yet you supposedly know all about the skill they take.
>>
File: 1468734928877.jpg (119KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1468734928877.jpg
119KB, 400x300px
>>376364616
Brood War would bring in 2 million native Koreans on a beach. It fell off after Boxer's era and was unceremoniously killed off after a combination of a scandal and Blizzard taking legal action against studios for broadcasting BW despite numbers that more than supported even one station to keep up (and OGN did up until 2012) until confidence was completely stymied in favor of SC2's international spotlight. Blizzard would later "offer" a deal for SC2 broadcasting rights with Gom winning the bid for GSL. It's telling that BW has had a revitalization in Korea while SC2's explosive growth was met with a devastating crash.

I'm sure someone actually more mired in the FGC could tell you about SF4, but that was mostly replaced by Capcom believing SF5 would continue its growth. By Ultra, the game became storied and grew on audiences enough. Then Capcom didn't even have a year of SF4 and SF5 side-by-side.
>>
There's no way anyone who actually enjoys Quake or OG SC would think SFIV is in the same bracket. This has to be bait.
>>
>>376364358
>sf4
>skill based

try again
>>
File: lucky.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lucky.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
just play melee, huge barrier for entry (and winning at any point, I mean) and an impossibly high skill ceiling that only truly dedicated losers or the absolutely autistic can achieve.

plus everyone else hates melee so you'll get tons of (You)'s when you post it from mad street fighter fans.
>>
>>376365790
No, OP is just an obviously retarded shitter who can't get good at any PvP game so he shitposts about them and just name dropping popular old games that no one plays anymore.
>hurr me gud in Quake but no one plays it anymore!
>me so better than everyone else!!
>>
File: 1e5.jpg (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1e5.jpg
2MB, 5000x5000px
>>376364358
OH WOOOOOOOOOW YOU'RE ACTUALLY GONNA SAY THAT
>>
>>376364358
OH GOD. SFV is just awful. I love Street Fighter but V is fucking irredeemable. They dumbed it down then they rushed it out for EVO. They did not factor in most of the buying public doesnt care about EVO and the fat fucks that attend it. Sold 1.5 million ...if a main entry in an IP sells less than 2 million Capcom axe that IP.

RIP Streetfighter. Its going to share the same fate as Megaman , Darkstalkers and Lost Planet.
>>
If arena fps didn't want to be dead they should have released some games that arent just quake 3 reskins (which itself is basically a reskin of quake 1, a 20 year old game)
>>
>>376365718
SFV has had a major push from Capcom and Sony. Capcom's helping out with some big tourneys with some massive pots. Just recently in Canada there was a tournament held at Scotiabank theatres (maybe Cineplex?) around the country. They were total jokes handled by fucking mongs but they were held at large venues and features in advertisements online and in theatres for a while. I've never once seen an ad for EVO that wasn't a banner on an FGC related webpage.
>>
>>376365365
>Funny how all you can complain but never actually achieve anything in those "easy" and "skill-less" games.

I picked up Call of Duty MW2 and went 30-2 in my first week of playing. That's not a lie. Those games are so easy that it actually gets boring very fast.
>>
File: 1474085374571.jpg (58KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474085374571.jpg
58KB, 540x720px
>>376365417
They need to learn from communities like Brawl, that was shunned by both Melee and FGC after the epic CPU vs Ken grand finals, and Brood War. If you care about your scene so much then keep finding ways to support it. On the other hand, pissing and moaning like this accomplishes little else than dragging down opinion of the people who play your games.
Hope this thread is bait.
>>
>>376365951
>those falling upairs
dang
>>
>>376364358
they are all dead to make sure people like you post on /v/.
>>
>>376366020
Why are you such a spastic? Some games take longer to get good at than others. Why does this trigger you?
>>
I think a lot has to be said when it comes to balance in shooters, at the least. Ignoring your MOBA-lite shooters of today for obvious reasons your Call of Duty, Battlefield and even the "hardcore" R6S suffer from weapon balancing issues in a bad way, or in the case of CoD you have perks and characters. In old school arena shooters your gun was whatever you found barring a custom spawn setting and in those cases everyone had the same gun. I'm loathe to admit it but even Halo and Gears of War handled that better. Weapon pickups and equalized weapon starts have always made for a more skill intensive shooting experience.
>>
>>376364358
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7uMtlcJ2w

Japan is one the only place where some games are still kept difficult enough and not accessible to plebs.

Sadly those are dying too thanks to mobage garbage where it's all about swiping your credit card or mindlessly grinding. Even new music games are piss easy and just gives 99% ~ SSS to pretty much anyone handle to use both their hands correctly.

shmups are dying there as well. Arcade have become a shitfest besides for fighting games.
>>
>>376365951
>smash

nah I play real fighting games sorry and am a diehard SF2 fan and player
>>
>>376364893
you sound like such a faggot
>>
File: 1493649555856.gif (2MB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
1493649555856.gif
2MB, 320x384px
>>376366064
>quake 3 reskins (which itself is basically a reskin of quake 1, a 20 year old game)
>quake 3
>a reskin of quake 1

you're a fucking mouthbreathing retard, quake 3 plays NOTHING like quake 1, the jumping, movement, and (lack of) air control is COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT
>>
>>376367070
>Playing a game with a lower skill ceiling and being proud of it

Predictable behavior for a weeb.
>>
>>376365608
You can thank Capitalism.
>>
File: IMG_1037.jpg (165KB, 658x658px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1037.jpg
165KB, 658x658px
>mfw OP BTFO for being an idiot
>>
>>376367476
stop impersonating me butthurt assfaggot player

>>376367325
smash does not have a higher skill ceiling than sf2, absolutely categorically not
>>
I know what you mean, I could easily be a pro in any current game if I just played for 5 minutes but I don't feel like it!
>>
>>376366172
Exactly this. Likewise for Titanfall, other CoD or BF. I am by no mean pro and I perfectly know that I'm far from being as good as "pros", but you get bored very fast when you're constantly top 3 in public games despite not even considering yourself good. It's like people are retarded online, bots on high difficulty setting used to be more challenging.

Being in the top 10% today is can be achieved with what would have been average skill back in 2000. I hardly remember being first while playing Q3 or UT99, would usually end up in the middle of the rankings, top 3 if I did a great game.
>>
>>376367312
Sure, and that's why nobody cares about arena shooters anymore. Give me something new beyond "this movement has minor but important differences".
>>
>>376367552
>stop impersonating me
??
>>
>>376367642
they're not minor, like at all

you cannot move in the air at all in quake 3, in quake 1 you have insane levels of air-control that let you turn corners at extremely high speeds and dodge rockets midair (this makes aim less important compared to q3 but more fast)

it changes the game completely, you made yourself look retarded and now you are trying to save face.
>>
>>376364358
Because i don't pay or play video games to feel as a loser like i already feel 24/7
>>
>>376367848
Sure, and CS: source had major differences to 1.6, but its still cs.
>>
>>376364358
Simple as fuck... games are becoming more and more accepted in society hence more casuals hence casual games becoming more popular.. how can this even be a discussion?
>>
>>376367580
stop making this argument

why does everything have to do with being a 'pro'

playing the violin has a higher skill ceiling than playing the recorder, by far, this would be like you saying

>HUH WELL YOU STUPID VIOLINIST WHY DON'T YOU PLAY THE RECORDER THEN HUH????? AND WIN THE RECORDER CHAMPIONSHIPS?

Because I don't want to be an e-sports fag first off, and because these new games do not appeal to me in the fucking slightest. Is that so hard to understand?
>>
>>376364358
if none of those games require any skill then why don't you go play professionally and win millions of dollars?

oh wait you're a casual fuck just like everyone else
>>
>>376368646
I already addressed this like 3 times >>376368541

Are you daft?
>>
It could just be because it's fun to watch/play you know
>>
>>376367552
>smash does not have a higher skill ceiling than sf2, absolutely categorically not

It absolutely does. Sorry.
>>
>>376367587
I literally just play Call of Duty to feel good about myself when I can't win at games I've spent hundreds more hours on.
>>
>>376368646
Playing competitive video games as a career should be diagnosed as a mental illness
>>
>>376368541
what are you even complaining about then
i'm sure there's enough autists who will play whatever "superior" games with you
>>
>>376368541
Please rephrase this with a food analogy
>>
Yeah, SC2 is bad. CSGO is mediocre, and SFV is terrible. But Starcraft, SF4, and Quake are not dead. And not just these games, but tons of great games. You're just a bitch. You would find people to play with if you were actually still passionate about playing them.
>>
>>376369148
If steak is harder to make than Ramen, why not just eat Ramen all day every day if making Ramen is so easy
>>
>>376369389
>But Starcraft, SF4, and Quake are not dead

they are with the exception of SC on ICCUP
>>
>>376370867
Stop being a bitch and play on Korean servers
>>
>>376371131
you mean fish?
>>
>>376364358
Because lower skill ceiling levels the playing field between higher and lower skilled players and makes matches more even. Victory is more dependent on the player's skill regardless of how much of the game they've mastered.
>>
>>376364358
>starcraft
it's 20 fucking years old and not even fully dead yet
>street fighter 4
artificial skill floor created through the link system sucked all the fun out of the game. You don't need to just learn what moves combo, what combos are good, and when to use them, you also need to learn the exact frame where you can link each move to another. This is just the price of entry for being able to do a basic attack sequence in street fighter 4, you have to spend hours and hours practicing links.
>quake etc
Those games are dinosaur old and unlike starcraft they're also rock simple. There are only so many variations on "and he shot him with a rocket" that you can watch before you get bored
>>
>>376371417
>lower skill ceiling
>victory is more skill dependent
HAHAHAHHAHHAHA
>>
>>376371417
>Because lower skill ceiling
Except many games don't lower the skill ceiling but the floor. They are easy to pick up and learn but there is still enough depth in them that the average /v/irgin will never be on the top.
>>
>>376371417
>Because lower skill ceiling levels the playing field between higher and lower skilled players and makes matches more even. Victory is more dependent on the player's skill regardless of how much of the game they've mastered.
...what
>>
>>376371417
this makes no sense
>>
>>376365651
spotted the smashfag, keep on mashin'
>>
>>376364358
Because mainstream sells more copies.

Blame capitalism.
>>
>>376374619
that's true to an extent
>>
>>376364358
Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
>>376376435
xDDD dude that joke is fuckin epic hahahha :DDD

edit: gold? whoa.... really? thank ya stranger!!! :)))
>>
File: 1491259511851.jpg (156KB, 638x826px) Image search: [Google]
1491259511851.jpg
156KB, 638x826px
Because people don't like to commit to stuff, specially to stuff that requires a lot off effort with small player bases. Not only that but every other genre is really easy to find people to play and doesn't require much effort to get at a decent level.

I mean, look at fighting games for example, most games are either dead or filled with people who have played them for years. Even mainstream fighting games usually loose most of it's player base after a month or 2 and you usually have to go out of your way to find people to play.

If it wasn't for a friend of mine i would probably never got into the genre.
>>
>>376377791
Funny, I had no problem losing and people were super helpful. The problem is most gaymers are manchildren who can't stand losing, so they demand the game be dumbed down so they can 'win' more.
>>
File: 1491251827814.png (477KB, 1097x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1491251827814.png
477KB, 1097x1920px
>>376377853
>I had no problem losing and people were super helpful.
Quite sure that winning or loosing might not even have much to do with it. Most scrubs don't even know how they won or loose. It is also quite overwhelming to see some one truly good and not even comprehend how they do what they do.

Also:
>The problem is most gaymers are manchildren who can't stand losing, so they demand the game be dumbed down so they can 'win' more.

Street Fighter 5 is the most dumbed down game i ever played and not even that made people stay because don't matter how much you dumb down something there will always be players who will do much better at it than others and people will drop it regardless on how easy it is. Also, like in SF5 it didn't bring new players in and just made the comunity dislike the game and drop it as well.

>mfw all my friends who bought the game on release with me don't play the game anymore out of how fucking boring it is.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.