[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to start playing the Metroid series, should I start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: canvas.png (245KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
245KB, 640x360px
I would like to start playing the Metroid series, should I start from the first one? Or should I start directly from SM and then move up from there. Where should I put the AM2R?
>>
I started with Zero Mission, which is kinda like a remake of the first, it even had a port of the first game as well.
>>
>>376355292
Start with Zero mission and skip 1. The first 4 Metroids are only like 3 hours long so just play them all.
>>
>>376355292
If you start with the first one you'll be put off. Start with either Super or Zero Mission (which is a great remake from the first one)
>>
>>376355603
Zero -> AM2R -> SM

?
>>
1, 2, and Super are all worth playing. Super is a pseudo-remake of the first game, but it's still worth playing the original game and 2 at some point to see where the series started.

Zero Mission and AM2R are fine games, but if you go into them thinking that they're remakes of 1 and 2, you'll get the wrong impression of the series. They have maps inspired by 1 and 2, but the atmosphere, tone, and experiences are completely different.

>>376355820
>Skip 1
Fuck off.

>>376355845
>If you start with the first one you'll be put off.
Only if he's a faggot pussy.
>>
>>376356454
I did not have fun playing 1. What makes you think it's worthwhile?
>>
Zero mission is the Penultimate Metroid. Every other game is bleh in comparison. SM is okay-core where it's a return to most of the starting area. MF is a better Metroid 2, from there you will have enough story to go into Prime without missing too much.

But seriously, you can skip original, Metroid 2, Super (3) and STILL get a best of work what remains.
>>
>>376356557
It's the most open game in the entire series and when you understand the context of when it came out and what it brought to the table, it's enormously impressive. There was literally nothing else like it at the time and the sheer amount of freedom it gives you is unmatched.
>>
>>376355292
Just play Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Then if you like it explore freely
>>
1 you won't enjoy if you're used to games explaining anything about what you're supposed to do. you'll roam about and get lost and maybe find some missiles or something and give up. everything lore-wise was in the manual. it's a really great game, but if you go into it with a mindset of getting into the series, you'll flop

the same mostly applies to 2, except it's a lot more straight forward in that you're killing metroids and you get a counter. again you'll be wandering around and getting lost. AM2R helps in this regard in that it helps navigate you a bit. again if you're used to games explaining shit to you, go with AM2R

SM is the same, but the controls and aesthetic are very polished. you don't get quite as much freedom as the other two in that the game will try to lead you places, but you'll still get lost.

fusion is a straight path the entire game. you'll only get lost in one area and it won't let you progress until you figure it out. this game has a shit ton of story to read compared with the others

if you're set on starting with a 2d metroid, i'd go in chronological order so you appreciate the evolution of the game. don't feel bad if you quit without beating them
>>
>>376357442
kinda contradicted myself at the end there by not mentioning you should read metroid's manual before playing it
>>
>>376357442
>Telling him to skip the two games that do Metroid properly in favor of ones that don't do Metroid properly
This is why I don't like the majority of the Metroid fanbase, they clearly don't like Metroid.
>>
>>376356716
Yeah, too bad it achieves that freedom by reusing the exact same fucking level design ad nauseum.
>>
>>376357603
haha yeah, who likes good controls and level design, not me! that's why I played metroid 1.
>>
>>376357603
read the whole post idiot
>>
don't bother, just play shovel knight. They took the formula (which is a good basis) and perfected it. It's far less dated than metroid, has humor and a good story, it's also much nicer on the eyes with the color pallet
>>
>>376357607
>reusing the exact same fucking level design ad nauseum.
If you properly understood Metroid, you'd realize that's part of the fucking point, idiot. You're SUPPOSED to get lost and you're SUPPOSED to feel like a rat in a maze. Frequently you'd see rooms that start out the same way to confuse you, only changing their layout once you venture in enough to make the screen scroll. That's how you start remembering rooms.

It's a very cleverly-designed game. Obviously too clever for you.
>>
>>376357864
I don't really fucking care about getting lost. I didn't get lost. I always knew exactly where I was because I'm not a child. I'm sorry that insanely boring level design is too "cerebral" for me.
>>
>>376357997
>sorry
why would anyone care that you have shit taste?
>>
>>376358087
Evidently you cared enough to make a paragraph-long post explaining to me why I'm "wrong."
>>
Heres the real deal.

Play SM because its the slowest and clunkiest while still being incredibly fun and immersive.

From there you can go forward or back.
Back is obviously dated and a challenge but I enjoy the,

Forward is where it gets interesting. Zer Mission and Fusion feel like action games once you get use to the movement, you feel fast as fuck compared to SM.

Prime sreies if you want more exploring alien places but only once you did at least SM and ZM/Fusion. The older games are difficult for many people because the lack of a map and archaic save system in 1 so dont feel bad if you cant do it right away. I only recently finally beat Metroid 1 with no help and I'm fucking 26.
Metroid 2 is MUCH easier but slow as fuck at times because the spider ball is so heavily used.
>>
>>376358397
AM2R is good as well but I recommend playing ZM and M2 first because it draws the most from those two.
>>
>>376355292
I'd personally recommend Fusion first because, in spite of its terrifyingly structured main game, it does a really good job at establishing breakable walls compared to Super Metroid or Metroid 1.
>>
>>376355292
If you're into clunky 8bit try the first one yeah, but Zero Mission is a great remake.
Super Metroid is still fantastic too.
If you don't like either try Metroid Prime, maybe 3D is more your thing.
>>
Gonna have to agree with the fag saying you should play the first two.
Just play them via Virtual Console and make use of LIMITED savestates.

Here's the order you should play:
Metroid -> Metroid 2 -> Super Metroid
Zero Mission -> Prime 1 - 3 -> AM2R -> Super Metroid (optional) -> Metroid Fusion.
>>
>>376357864
Most pretentious thing I've ever read.
>>
>>376355820
>skip 1
kill yourself
>>
>>376356648
Penultimate means second to last my friend
>>
>>376359138
>wanting people to put up with shit games just because you did and felt slightly accomplished for having the patience
>>
>>376356454
>Super is a pseudo-remake of the first game
It's really not.
>>
>>376355292
I started with Metroid, then I played Metroid II, then after that Super, and last but not least Fusion. I'm now just waiting for that Metroid Fusion sequel we'll get one day.
>>
>>376355820
Commit suicide
>>
>>376359226
>patience

not the game fault if you cant make a simple "jump and shoot".
i needed more patience with super and its weird floaty physics and pointless backtracking.

metroid 1 is literally a game to mess up with the passwords and have a good time, if anything i would say its too easy.

and before you say anything i suck at the nes mario games.
the game is easy.
>>
One thing I really loved about metroid 2 was the music.

The way it was different for the area was literally the only way I could tell where I was or if I was in the main shaft half the time. Good stuff
>>
>>376355820

This. NES Metroid have aged horribly. It simply isn't good anymore.
>>
>>376359829
I didn't say NES Metroid was hard. Its problem is that it's boring.
>>
>>376359820
>>376359138
>>376359829

>terrible bosses
>bad aiming
>wave beam is pointless
>copypasted rooms
>enemies can fly through doors due to crappy loading/unloading
>>
>>376360116
Get good, bitch
>>
>>376360306
Not an argument, especially after I beat the game years ago.
>>
>>376360306

Wow, you sure showed him with that hot argument of yours.
>>
>>376360476
You're literally bitching about the limitations of the NES. Game was impressive back in the day.
>>
>>376360014
i dont think you like the other games that much then.

>>376360116
>terrible bosses
>bad aiming
explain
>wave beam is pointless
makes the game pretty easy, the problem is that you need the ice beam to kill metroids.
>copy pasted rooms
its called being a maze.
>enemies can fly through doors
and?
>>
>>376360582
See>>376360613
If he wasn't complaining about limitations, I would have less to say.
>>
>>376357864
>it's supposed to be shit!
>>
>>376360613
>But it was great back then!

Guess what, faggot? That was 30 years ago. We don't have the same limitations on games anymore. Yes, it was good when it came out. Now? Literally no reason to play unless you're thirsty for nostalgia when Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, and AM2R are leagues better and that's only counting 2D Metroid
>>
File: the news guy863.jpg (6KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
the news guy863.jpg
6KB, 250x187px
>>376360116
>enemies can fly through doors
>>
File: 1366759243095.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1366759243095.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Start with the Prime games. Then move on the 2D games. Ignore Other M and Federation Force entirely.
>>
File: 1470021812784.jpg (27KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1470021812784.jpg
27KB, 500x379px
>>376360946
>enemies can fly
>>
Super > ZM > Fusion > AM2R
Then try the Prime games, I couldn't get into them sadly
>>
Start and end with Super
It's the best and there's really no reason to play those that simply try to emulate it
>>
>>376359315
It sort of is, since the series went back to Zebes for no reason and it starts you out going through Tourian to get to the same area in Brinstar where you got the Morph Ball last time, etc.
>>
File: 1478249714277.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478249714277.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>376356648
>you can skip Super

kys my man
>>
>>376360879
AM2R is fanmade shit, so who gives a literal fuck about it

Zero Mission is a half assed Super Metroid, and linear dumbed down Metroid with a garbage stealth section put in for Sakamoto's pleasure

Fusion while great was linear compared to the first three games and screwed up bomb jumping (a staple since the first game) unforgivable, and fucked wall jumping as well, while saving full exploration at the end of the game

Super was the best in the series, I have nothing bad o say about it but Maridia sucks.
>>
Zero Mission is a remake and expansion of the original Metroid. It's also the game with the best controls in the series. It streamlines the clunk of Super and it expands the original Metroid.

It also has a ton of ways to sequence break and mess around with doing low % runs and high % runs. It's honestly the best Metroidvania, let alone metroid game, out there. Its a complete and total love letter to the genre.

Fusion has almost as tight controls, but its much more story driven. They also cut back on sequence breaking and ways to change up the run. Playthroughs in Fusion almost never vary or can get changed up.

Super is a great game, but it hasnt aged as well as nearly everyone likes to pretend. The controls are clunkier than the GBA ones, but theyre more than serviceable. It has really solid ambiance and you can sequence break and change up your runs, but its not as thought out as Zero Mission. Still a solid game, but nostaliga blinds people to its flaws.

The original Metroid and Metroid 2 arent really worth revisiting unless you want to see where the formula got ironed out. You can do it for completionist sake, but it takes someone delusional to say they're better than Super, Fusion, or Zero Mission.

The Prime games are good as well, but its the same type of game in a first person sense. Different game feel and doesn't really scratch the same itch.
>>
>>376361348
>AM2R is fanmade shit, so who gives a literal fuck about it

t. consolecuck
>>
>>376361348
*to
>>
>>376360681
>>terrible bosses
>>bad aiming
>explain
you're kidding right? Everyone who's played the game knows how terrible aiming is, half the fucking enemies are on the floor and you can't crouch, making it impossible to hit them with anything except for bombs and the wave beam, both of which are obtained a while after this issue comes up and one of which can't be used for the whole game because you need the Ice Beam

And the game only has 3 bosses, 2 of which consist of hurling as many projectiles in a small space as they can until you get pushed off a ledge into a pool of acid that fucks with your jumping mechanics while they sit on the ledge waiting for you to come back up so they can do it again, and Mother Brain which has more manageable footing to fight on

There's dozens of NES games with better boss fights
>>
>>376360613
The model T was impressive back in the day. Doesn't mean anyone should drive it in the current year.

>>376360681
>explain
literally "spam missiles and dodge occassional projectile to win"
There was no diagonal aiming or crouch aiming. The only way to kill zoomers is with bombs.

>it's called being a maze
Literally the only maze maze I've seen do this.

>and
The door is CLOSED.
>>
File: Meta Ridley.jpg (600KB, 1920x868px) Image search: [Google]
Meta Ridley.jpg
600KB, 1920x868px
>>
>>376361421
If it's not official then I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>376355895

Zero -> SM -> Fusion

I'd play SM and Fusion both before AM2R.
>>
>>376361545
>The model T was impressive back in the day. Doesn't mean anyone should drive it in the current year.
>comparing games to cars
The hell are you smoking?
>>
File: Fusionending.png (869KB, 965x1669px) Image search: [Google]
Fusionending.png
869KB, 965x1669px
>>
>>376355292
play the games in the order you want.

the prime games are baby first FPS and if you can get prime trilogy for the wii do it, otherwise, expect an fps with joystick, and we all now what that means.

the GBA games are the most polished ones with lots of interaction with the stages and puzzles. Expect a graphic adventure with zero mission and a great horror game with fusion (not kidding).

1 is where all started and the best when comes to excecution, but its definetelly old.
2 if you are a special snowflake and like to find whats different with every boss. It may become your favorite if you have enough autism.

avoid other M.
hunters is not a good game, but playable.
federation force is a good game, but ugh.

finally super.
Its the mario world of the metroid games, its the perfect game to get into the series, and the one to look back while you play every game.
but really, play the games in the order you want.

AM2R its a meme.
>>
>>376361545

Hey there /o/
>>
>>376361670
>comparing technology to technology

fug how could i b so dum
>>
BEEP BOOP BEEP BOOP

BOOP BEEP BOOP

BEEP BEEP
>>
>>376361832
This
>>
File: bigfedora.jpg (8KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
bigfedora.jpg
8KB, 210x240px
>>376361348
>its bad because its linear
>>
>>376362795
But I said Fusion was great.
>>
>>376355292
Metroid 1 and 2 are dated, Zero Mission is the best starting point because it's a retelling of the original story and introduces metroids, ridley, mother brain ect. that are referenced in future games to give you context to their reappearances later on.
From there you should branch off into Super or Fusion. Super is the definitive Metroid experience through and through, but you'd appreciate it more if you play the older games first and understand why the physics are so slow and clunky.
Metroid Fusion is the most tolerable story heavy game in the series, and while it's completely linear it's still full of exploration, it's more like instead of having one giant mission spread across an entire world, you're going through several mini-missions across one area strung together throughout the game.
AM2R is best played after this, since it's a reimagining of the second game anyway and borrows a lot of stuff from ZM, it's an evolution of what Zero Mission brought to the table.
The Prime games are a seperate experience entirely, while they're first person if you think about it in an FPS mindset you're going to have a frustrating time, they're really more platformers with a first person perspective.
>>
>>376361545
>There was no diagonal aiming or crouch aiming. The only way to kill zoomers is with bombs.
>>376361506
>half the fucking enemies are on the floor and you can't crouch, making it impossible to hit them with anything except for bombs and the wave beam

maybe you can just skip them and try to get gud? they are meant to be obstacles, you dont have to kill everything that moves.

>And the game only has 3 bosses, 2 of which consist of hurling as many projectiles in a small space as they can until you get pushed off a ledge into a pool of acid that fucks with your jumping mechanics while they sit on the ledge waiting for you to come back up so they can do it again, and Mother Brain which has more manageable footing to fight on
anona re you saying the game is too ahrd for you?
>There's dozens of NES games with better boss fights
this is literally not a complain.
a game is not bad just because other game did something better.

>>376361545
>>it's called being a maze
>Literally the only maze maze I've seen do this.
implying something is bad because its different, and im sure there are recycled rooms in zelda.
>>and
>The door is CLOSED.
and????
>>
>>376361585

You're stupid then.
>>
File: mom_us_front_hi-res.png (3MB, 1532x2150px) Image search: [Google]
mom_us_front_hi-res.png
3MB, 1532x2150px
>>376363315

Forgot my image.
>>
>>376363293
>le git le gud meem le xd
see
>>376360476

>and???

And...things aren't supposed to fly through solid objects, Einstein.
>>
>>376363315
>>376363360
No you are for putting a fan game in the same league as REAL OFFICIAL 2D Metroid games
>Other M
And get that shit out of here, as far as I'm concerned, Other M never happened.
>>
File: 1344421479836.jpg (104KB, 455x700px) Image search: [Google]
1344421479836.jpg
104KB, 455x700px
>>376355292
it depends on what experience you are looking for. if you want to see how the series evolved:

Super > ZM > Fusion >Prime 1-3
and technically metroid 2 is optional but if you want to understand why metroids are so terrifying play it. I <3 the original but AM2R is godly. so in that case you should play it last.
NOW. If you care story-wise play them like this:

ZM >AM2R/M2 > Prime 1 > Hunters optional here) Prime 2 > Prime 3 > SM > Fusion

Other M optional as it contradicts like every other game but if you care play it before fusion.

this is the chronological order for the story. Gameplay wil vary here because of where they jumped around in the timeline when making games.

oh and after that if you want to know what might be coming next, take a look at Federation force as that hints to some stuff from hunters coming back into the series.

Regards,
Guy who actually likes metroid
>>
>all these people recommending you start with Zero Mission
why the fuck
"muh lore"? metroid has fucking toothpicks for continuity.
>>
>>376363757
Because it's a good game.
>>
play ZM first
then super
then fusion
>>
>>376363757
>metroid has toothpicks for continuity
there is a common thread between almost all of the games and there is relatively little issue between them. its an official timeline and Zero Mission is LITERALLY a remake of Metroid 1 AKA Samus' first ever mission.

you can "muh lore" all you want but thats the order of games if you go by the series story.

also >>376364004
>>
You don't play Metroid chronologically anymore, it feels like. 1 and 2 in their original forms are encouraged by the fans to play, but they're just.. archaic and insanely awkward by the standards the rest of the series put forth. Combine that with the timeline mess the series has and it's better to just play the good games and then consider the not-so-good ones thereafter.

So Super Metroid and Zero Mission alongside Prime 1 and 2, with Fusion and Prime 3 being side-options if you don't mind a more linear experience, and then everything aside from that core group is pretty damn optional. AM2R is not something i'd ever recommend for some newbie to the series, especially with how damn hard later portions of the game get even for veterans. The good thing is that so long as you're willing to tangle with emulators and the download sizes for the Prime games, all the good games are easily emulatable (if you don't mind potential problems with Prime 3 or the Prime Trilogy re-release and their motion controls).

Just don't ever bother with Other M unless it's for novelty's sake at best. And check out Prime Hunters and Prime Pinball if you're bored.
>>
>>376363757
tell me a good reason to not start ZM familia.
its just like SM but with better controls and linear, the game does the job good.

and yes im baiting you with this pic you fucking zero suit hatter.
>>
>water areas always have the best music

coincidence
>>
>>376364130
>tfw actually like the Zero Suit
>fucking hate OM Varia Suit
>Reeee Sm4sh heels

life is suffering
>>
>>376363618
>see
>>>376360476

how exactly that denies what i said? they are obstacles, you kill them because you want, not because you need to.

>>376363618
>And...things aren't supposed to fly through solid objects, Einstein
AND????
who the fucks use the realism meme against metroid, kill yourself.
>>
Metroid 1/Zero Mission first, then go to Super Metroid/Am2r next.

Am2r is based on a lot of mechanics that Super Metroid added to the series and games like Zero Mission refined. You can play and beat AM2R, but I think the game really benefits from knowing the ins and outs of a metroid game, so play Zero mission or SM before it.
>>
>>376364130
Because Super Metroid came out first you monogloid.
Why would I watch Star Wars before The Phantom Menace? Because it was created in that order and it makes the most sense on a mechanic level, a graphical level, and a continuity level.
>>
>>376364435
>If you don't like thing, it's bucause you suck
>but I can't suck if I beat it
>THAT DOSNT DENY WUT I SAID

Also, literally nothing else flies through solid objects.
>>
1 sucks and you should not play it
2 sucks and you should not play it; play AM2R instead which is much better
3 (super) is the pinnacle of the series and you should play it + some of the romhacks
4 (fusion) is good and you should play it
5 (prime) is second only to 3 and you should play it
6 (zero) is good and you should play it
7 (prime 2) is 3rd place and you should play it
8 (prime 3) is good and you should play it

Anything not listed is trash and should be ignored.
>>
Wow i havent seen a metroid thread at this time in a while, i forgot how autistic you guys were.
Start with either sm or prime and play what you think seems interesting.
>>
>>376365123
nigga the git gud thing was not my argument, im saying you dont need to kill anyone.

>Also, literally nothing else flies through solid objects.
autism
>>
File: plsno.jpg (64KB, 900x654px) Image search: [Google]
plsno.jpg
64KB, 900x654px
>>376361832
>horror

I remember little me playing through Fusion for the first time. I remember seeing ''it'' for the first time. My heart immediately sank 80 feet. Fusion, though being linear, had a damn good execution.
>>
>>376355895
thats what I did
Its great
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.