[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the biggest thing that made you jaded about video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: 1471987008194.png (242KB, 338x334px) Image search: [Google]
1471987008194.png
242KB, 338x334px
What was the biggest thing that made you jaded about video games?

For me it was when I realized that the publishers of the game have more control in the end than the actual artists involved in the production of the game. Pic obviously double related.
>>
>>376304082
I think it was about the time I realized, thanks to The Dark Knight Rises, that videogames will never be art.
>>
There's been a big drop in quality since DLC started. They purposely leave out content and release buggy shit they can patch later. They couldn't get away with that in 2005
>>
>>376304139
Are you implying that this disgusting movie is art?
>>
File: 1481863666116.webm (29KB, 128x150px) Image search: [Google]
1481863666116.webm
29KB, 128x150px
>>376304239
Are you implying that it's not?
>>
File: 1000.png (1MB, 1000x641px) Image search: [Google]
1000.png
1MB, 1000x641px
>>376304225
They sure could in 2006 tho
>>
Spore.

What was supposed to be this all-encompassing evolution sim was reduced to googly eyes and an unfinished galaxy mode. It has been nearly ten years and I am still fucking mad. Anybody that buys into hype and preorders/kickstarts without getting a second opinion is a certifiable retard.
>>
nothing really.

probably because A) I don't follow western shit
and B) I don't set myself up for disappointment by following hacks like kojima.
>>
>>376304082
>give Kojimbo $80 fucking million dollars to make this POS
>he wants more after dicking around and not making Chapter 3

Are you telling me that you wouldn't be pissed after all that?
>>
File: 1474772825869.png (152KB, 271x279px) Image search: [Google]
1474772825869.png
152KB, 271x279px
>>376304306
Todd was ahead of his time, truly a visionari.
I enjoyed paying only $2.99 to add so much more content to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
>>
>>376304306
They didn't get away with that, there was legitimate outrage.
>>
>>376304463
Ah yes, forgot that /v/ suddenly forgets everything about videogame development and thinks 80 million for a multiplatform game and a brand new engine is enough for Triple A.

Look at Bioshock Infinite, it simply licensed the engine, yet that 10 hour long linear game cost 150 million.
>>
>>376304082
But Kojima had full development control over MGS5.
>>
>>376304524
Sure he did, but midway through that Konami decided that spending more money in Triple A games rather than making smartphone ones was better.
After all, Konami's CEO didn't even know MGS or Silent Hill had any fans at all.
>>
>>376304082
>eyepatch that morphs into shades on the way to the eye
That's a cool concept.
>>
>>376304630
Konami gave 80 million to Kojima to spend however the fuck he wanted.
He spent it all on empty open world, voice actors and music.
MGS5 being shit is Kojima's fault and it being shit was exactly the reason why Konami decided to cuck him over. When you give virtually unlimited resources and time to someone and what we got is the best they could come up with, I'd be mad too.
>>
>>376304828
And in a new engine that Konami requested for all their future Triple A games so they wouldn't have to pay for licensing fees, that then discarded because they decided to not make more Triple A games.

>voice actors and music.
How much did they cost?
Give numbers.

>When you give virtually unlimited resources
80 million is unlimited?
Seriously, does any MGS fanboy know anything at all about how this industry works, or you just makes guesses on your head based on nothing at all and think they are correct?
Have you done any research at all about what you are saying?

>what we got is the best they could come up with, I'd be mad too.
Oh wait, you are naive enough to think Konami gives a single fuck about MGSV's state, or that publishers care at all about the state of the games they release.
As I said, Konami's CEO unironically said that MGS and Silent Hill should become free to play franchises and who didn't know these franchises had fans.
Do you think that sounds like someone who would care about a game's state?
>>
>>376304523
Bioshock Infinite cost that much because they kept restarting development and changing the overall concept of the game. The entire development process was a clusterfuck that needlessly drained money.
>>
>>376304828
>voice actors
Kiefer Sutherland, that's it.
That's the only remotely expensive VA, and even then he's a has been that's only known for being in a TV show, he's not RDJ precisely.
And even then, look at COD.
That franchise has had people like Kiefer Sutherland himself, Gary Oldman, Idris Elba, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris or Sam Worthington, all people who have been in expensive as fuck blockbusters.
Do you know how much COD has spent in VA work in total, from COD1 to Black Ops 3?
5 million dollars.
The rest are all literally-who's.
Kaz's VA is a guy who's entire career is made out of voicing cheap ads and random NPCs in games like Call of Duty too.
Or Joosten, a literally-who model in Japan that took what, 10 minutes to record all her lines?
>>
>>376305045
>80 million is unlimited?
While it's not technically unlimited, it is a shitton. It was pure dev budget, not even including the marketing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop
>does any MGS fanboy
I'm hardly a fanboy, I think the only good game in the series in MGS1.

I completely fail to see the point you're trying to make, though.
Even if Konami didn't care about MGSV's state, they just wanted to release the game as soon as possible. Kojima and his team had more than 3 years for the development.

How can someone say that the game being shit is Konami's fault is beyond me.
>>
This is why I will always support indie games I think they are worth a buy.
>>
>>376304082
Fallout 3.
>>
>>376305359
>How can someone say that the game being shit is Konami's fault is beyond me.
because retarded kojishills don't know how game development works
I mean, there are still people that konami TOOK OUT the third chapter on purpose
>>
>>376305359
>It was pure dev budget, not even including the marketing.
That list says that the total cost for MGSV was 80 million, including marketing.

>they just wanted to release the game as soon as possible
They did, and they didn't care about MGSV's state.
It's a miracle it didn't come out as bugged to hell as Skyrim.

>Kojima and his team had more than 3 years for the development.
Of MGSV and the new engine.

>How can someone say that the game being shit is Konami's fault is beyond me.
Do you think you can make a new engine and an open world game in that time with just one team?
It's Konami's, but it's Konami's for what they asked for.
They asked both for Kojima to make a brand new engine along with the game, but they also seemed to want the game to be made in 3 years.
Both can't be done.

>>376305450
>because retarded kojishills don't know how game development works
Are you seriously implying 3 years is enough time to make an engine and an open world game, even more an engine that ran like that?
Do you know anything about how game development works?
I mean, the other guy unironically suggested VA work is expensive, or that songs are, when Rockstar already said they pay about $5k for the rights of each song.
Absolutely no one who has ever speculated in /v/ about MGSV and the budget knows a single thing about videogame development.
You pull stuff out of your own ass and pretend are facts, but you have nothing to back them up.
I mean, i've seen you imply that Joosten cost half the game's development budget, or that Kojima is allowed to spend budget money on his food even though that money is tightly controlled by Konami.
>>
>>376305640
>You pull stuff out of your own ass and pretend are facts, but you have nothing to back them up.
But neither have you.
All your posts contain is "you're wrong and don't know anything".
>>
>>376304082
When I realized the entire industry turned to a giant bait-and-switch strategy, where the whole point of it is to have you buy the game without having played it nor even seen genuine footage of it, just so you can get a video game whose budget was barely a tenth of the marketing.

Marketing primes over game quality, and 78% of gamers are kids with zero standards, and who would only get scolded by their parents if they call a game "bad" because "honey it cost me $60 plus taxes plus tip so you better play it, otherwise I'm punishing you and I'll take your PS4".
>>
File: downloadable content.jpg (71KB, 789x622px) Image search: [Google]
downloadable content.jpg
71KB, 789x622px
Last words in the Mass Effect trilogy are downloadable content.
>>
>>376305640
>Are you seriously implying 3 years is enough time to make an engine and an open world game, even more an engine that ran like that?
but Rockstar did it with GTAIV on a total budget of 100 million, which is not that far from 80
they had exactly 3 years, too
>>
>>376305870
That's actually pretty fucking pottery.
>>
>>376305820
And I explained why.
VA work is not expensive at all, COD gave numbers, and so did Rockstar about game development.
Then you unironically suggested 3 years is enough to develop and open world game and a brand new engine that's capable of supporting decently any other kind of genre, specifically soccer since PES has been using the FOX Engine since 2014.

>>376305903
Except GTA 4 was made by Rockstar North and RAGE, the engine GTA 4, Max Payne 3, GTA V, etc. runs in was made by Rockstar San Diego.
It's pretty easy to do that when you have several teams of hundreds of workers each.
It's also how Ubisoft managed to keep Assassins Creed as a yearly franchise since they had like 10 teams working on each game.
MGSV and the Fox Engine were made by Kojipro alone.
Except MGSV's multiplayer, which was made by Kojipro LA, a new studio built specifically for that.
>>
>>376304082
Fallout 3 made me realise games are better off when they are linear.
Human revolution made me realise it's more enjoyable to not give a fuck about completion and watch the other endings on youtube.
Mass effect made me realise if you need more than one normal run and one NG+ run to see most of the content, the game should have been cut in half and sold cheaper.
TF2 made me realise multiplayer games are just a way to gain an ulcer when playing online, they're for LANs and that's it.
Hearthstone made me realise devs are incompetent at fixing performace issues in the simplest of games so why even bother playing something recent when it's going to slow down each patch until it's shit.
>most of that shit was brought upon us by the overmodding of PC games
don't get me wrong, I like my PC but the best games of my life were ratchet&clank and other of the same genre on ps2
>>
File: 1480592672874.gif (1MB, 160x107px) Image search: [Google]
1480592672874.gif
1MB, 160x107px
>>376306067
>>376305820
Can you fags take your MGSV argument to another thread? It has nothing to do with what we're talking about you fucking children.
>>
File: 1468524587197.png (271KB, 393x383px) Image search: [Google]
1468524587197.png
271KB, 393x383px
>>376306497
>>376306067
The worst part is that you unironically got hyped for MGSV because muh ebin as fug ultra cinematic trailers even though that shitshow of a franchise died without shitting out a single decent videogame.
>>
>>376304082
>What was the biggest thing that made you jaded about video games?
DaS2.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.