[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yfw we may see a Bethesda game with walking animations t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: iu[1].jpg (21KB, 800x414px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
21KB, 800x414px
>yfw we may see a Bethesda game with walking animations that isn't dogshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0Gilv5wvY
>>
there are plenty of games using similar technology resulting in the same results

also
>bethesda implementing new technology
kek
>>
the issue is that since it's learned behavior with a neural network it's likely to shit the bed with unpredictable events, like adding enemies and battles in that map.
It's good but the demo is empty for a reason
>>
>>376300764
MGSV had this exact thing.
>>
>>376300857
But can we have a Neural network dating sim?
>>
>>376300857
But can we have a Neural network sex sim?
>>
Nothing will ever beat an actual animator who knows what he's doing. They may use motion capture as a starting point, but if you really want to make good looking animations, you have to know when to exaggerate and make them dynamic.
>>
>>376300960
>wanting dating sim with character that can actually think
>2 hours in the game, they call you a creep and disappear from the game menues
>>
>>376300913
This is from a SIGGRAPH 2017 technical paper video, a conference that happens in August. This work was submitted in January and hasn't been presented or released yet...
>>
>>376301035
This is the main issue with a lot of modern games. They just do motion capture and call it a day. Animation needs to be exagerated to trully express the motion. The amount of exageration and distortion is up to the animator, but there needs to be some or it will look weak.
>>
Asscreed games have the worst fucking movement. Japs get it right, Breath of the Wild and MGS5 felt nice to play.
>>
>>376301379
exactly the opposite of what you said
>>
>>376300764
This is cool and all from a technical standpoint, but I hate this sort of sluggish out of the player's control movement in games.
>>
>>376301425
Are you retarded?
MGS5 has God tier character movement. Asscreed feels like your not even in total control.
>>
>>376301481
this.
It'd be great in a moviegame but it doesn't look at all like it'd be fun to control for the player.
>>
>>376300857
Wouldn't you be able to have it on when out of combat, and once combat starts, it's turned off in favour of ordinary animations? That would also address where something like this >>376301035 would have the biggest impact
>>
File: run-jump.webm (387KB, 400x339px) Image search: [Google]
run-jump.webm
387KB, 400x339px
>>376301240
>>376301664
>>376301481
found this webm of the shit they have in the OP, just it's in MGSV. not the best example, but watch the feet.

(if you need proof go play the game and check the feet/ankles/legs. they adjust depending on the angle the feet are standing on. feet will always be flat and parallel to a surface like in real life. the angles adjust according to the terrain, just like the OP.)

though the OP does have better fluidity/uniqueness over bigger bigger obstacles, MGSV probably only has very few different animations for jumping over obstacles.
>>
>>376301706
how would a ranged character know when he's in battle or not?
>>
>>376301481
this, really. Games need quick, unrealistic controls. Unless you aim for a really specific game "feel" you don't want a realistic speed crate climbing animation. It could work for an horror game with rare battles and jumpscare, but for an action game it's just crippling and players don't care.
>>
>>376302170
So the difference is that the game you linked probably just has some discrete states (e.g. 'flat', 'hill', 'stairs') and shows you an animation that sort of matches the type of terrain. It will almost never look exactly right.

OP's technique is a recent method where deep learning is used to teach a program how a certain humanoid figure moves depending on the type of terrain encountered. The figure will then actually figure out itself what kind of terrain it is (no special types pre-programmed) and adapt.
>>
File: kirkhammer.webm (3MB, 668x580px) Image search: [Google]
kirkhammer.webm
3MB, 668x580px
>>376301035
This so fucking much.
>>
>>376301481
>>376301669
>>376302334
but the developer can still tweak the animations like he wants :^)
>>
>>376301481
This, it's the sort of thing you want in those dumbass "cinematic experiences" that masquerade as games on PS4, but in an actual action game I want my character to do as I fucking say. If I jitter my analog stick around spastically, I should see my chracter jittering around spastically, not half heartedly walking in a small circle like he's lost
>>
>>376302170
How exactly do they look the same to you?
Ops offers a seamless blend between animation states based on dynamically created blended animations for every frame
Your just plays out an existing animation and blends from one to another in sequence, if it lacks one for a hill angle or character pose the system will break.
Its not even in the same concept yet alone the result.

Its what GTA4 and 5 did only instead of a procedural source and one prerecorded animation it uses a larger library of animations so it avoids the clunky drunk look of many of GTA4 procedural walking animations.
>>
>>376300960
I wanna start messing around with a neural network to see if I can teach it how to love.
>>
>>376300764
>tfw not understanding anything of what they're explaining
>>
File: timetosplit.gif (2MB, 317x178px) Image search: [Google]
timetosplit.gif
2MB, 317x178px
>>376301035
This, games with animation grounded within the animation principles tend to have a genuine lasting visual appeal. Timesplitters 2 Vs. ME:A, for example. The former features keyed animation and the expressions and gestures of the movements read really well. With the latter I was often struggling to decipher which emotion the characters were displaying.
>>
>>376302170
this is not the same thing. Its a different solution to the same problem.
>>
If you read the paper the intended use for this is AI in movies. This may not be suitable for video games despite the fact that they noted this processing could be parallelized and done in real time.
>>
>>376300764
But how responsive will the controls be?
>>
>>376300846
>>bethesda implementing new technology
You see that mountain?

You can climb it!
>>
Maybe in literally 100 years.

They didn't even have ladders in Fallout 3 because "the engine couldn't support it". And we all know about the train hat.

I don't understand how the even get by if they can't make modifications TO THEIR OWN GODDAMN GAME ENGINE
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.