[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this series so insanely popular? It's just basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Zelda_Logo.png (92KB, 1200x489px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda_Logo.png
92KB, 1200x489px
Why is this series so insanely popular?

It's just basic fantasy games yet people treat them as the next coming of christ every time one's released
>>
>>376296334
Because for some fucking reason, there aren't a lot of action adventure games with similar gameplay
>>
Because they actually were the shit up through the Oracles and now the early legacy of the series (mid 80s - early 00s) precedes it.
>>
>>376296334
Because they have an engaging story, great gameplay, likeable characters beautiful scenery and they are fun. Are they overrated? Maybe, but they are very good games.
>>
The new games are riding on the coattails of the successful games.

I used to really like the Zelda games but now it feels like they just try too hard, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>376296334
Nostalgia of playing them and they are usually fairly straight forward and polished without needing to dive into too much prior knowledge.

Same reason mario is popular, basically anyone with a pulse can play it
>>
>>376296334
Because the old games were revolutionary for their time, but you millenials wouldn't know anything about that.
>>
I haven't played other games like it. Zelda is kind of the only, go into a dungeon, solve puzzles, kill dudes, solve more puzzles with an item, kill a boss using the item game I can think of.

Metriod is like it, and its another Nintendo game.
>>
>>376296334
nostalgia
>>
File: 1380704329401.png (1MB, 1051x2131px) Image search: [Google]
1380704329401.png
1MB, 1051x2131px
>>376296334
because the nintendo brand was fucking huge, to the point that non-gamers knew what zelda and mario were back during nes era.

i still remember the hype for lttp. and yeah oot was treated like a gift from the gods. every zelda game after has been average to meh though.
>>
File: 8TJw7tr.gif (280KB, 250x136px) Image search: [Google]
8TJw7tr.gif
280KB, 250x136px
>>376296334
It practically invented the open world genre, heavily influenced the RPG genre, it has 3 of the greatest games of all time and it's unlike any series out there.
>>
>>376296334
Last fun arcade like this was first Harry Potter
So Zelda are the only games that panders to the fans of this genre
>>
>>376296334
Because without Zelda or Mario titles there would pretty much be just shovelware for nintendo outside their handheld market
>>
>>376296440
this. Gameplay is incredibly basic, but nobody else does it.

The games are so disconnected and released so far apart that I've developed a sense of apathy to the series, and there's absolutely no reason to dump 300 dollars on a console for one game. BoTW doesn't resemble any prior Zelda title, and I hate open world sandbox games, so I never bothered picking it up, nor do I intend to, so long as it lacks Dungeons and meaningful boss encounters.

Dark Souls kinda took its place in the 'dungeon crawler with kickass bosses' department. Zelda left it's roots as a semi-open world dungeon crawler, and that's what I bought the games for.
>>
>>376296334
It isn't
>>
File: 1484096577495.jpg (76KB, 564x792px) Image search: [Google]
1484096577495.jpg
76KB, 564x792px
Relatively simple controls, gives the player a clear goal, has a relatively meh story but usually tells that story well which keeps the player wanting to see what happens next, even if the later games usually follow a formula the dungeons are still fun to go through, bosses are the only thing lacking really, and that's a more recent thing. Also almost every game in the series has a kick ass final boss and climax which leaves a good final impression in people's memories. BotW is the only one that fails at this.

>>376297260
this guy knows, it's probably why Dark Souls caught on imo, it's one of the few games that uses this very easy to learn and fun to use 3D Action Adventure control schemes well but a much higher emphasis on combat.
>>
File: walnuts_lvwx20131_47921_8541.jpg (45KB, 288x380px) Image search: [Google]
walnuts_lvwx20131_47921_8541.jpg
45KB, 288x380px
>>376297498
It's a shame they don't have Nintendo's polish, though. Dark Souls could be sooo much better.
>>
>>376297652
I thought Dark Souls III had a fantastic level of polish, probably lesser that of Bloodborne which I haven't played because goldface, but From Soft is definitely getting there, and it seems their taking their time with the next title which I vaguely remember hearing should be another soulslike title. I'm anticipating a remaster of DkS in the near future, but if they can make a(nother assuming bb is as good as goldface says) game with the quality of design of DkS with equal or greater polish than DkS III then we're in for a treat.

And I think they're actually going to rub off on Nintendo, Eiji is a bretty big gamer and I'm willing to bet he has played and had fun with the Dark Souls games. If BotW's enemy encounters are any sign, we'll be seeing some more depth in combat in the next Zelda, hopefully without durability holding back enemy design like it did in BotW
>>
>>376297260
>The games are so disconnected and released so far apart that I've developed a sense of apathy to the series

this post is so incredibly CoD/Halo/Battlefield fanboy, I can't even come up with a stupid analogy in order to point out your retardation
>>
>>376297909
>I vaguely remember hearing should be another soulslike title
I vaguely remember hearing the exact opposite. My last recollection is they have about three games in the pipes, one perhaps a more familiar to souls fans type game, something not that but still standard, then some weird idea. I don't recall what the order to these is supposed to be.
>>
>>376298085
>is supposed to be
In terms of which should be coming out first, I mean.
>>
>>376297260

>BoTW doesn't resemble any prior Zelda title,

I kept thinking of the original Zelda when I played it. It's pretty much what the original game would be like were it made today, I think. I was afraid about it being open world because it is a horribly overdone genre, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it. Try it on CEMU if it plays decently on that.
>>
>>376296334
Anyway time to steer this thread ino a good direction.

I've been recently replaying ALttP for the first time in years and seeing how far I could get without a guide, haven't played it since I was like 14 and finally got stuck at the Ice Palace. Finally on my way to Ganon and having a blast. I don't think I can enjoy the 3D Zeldas anymore.
>>
>>376297909
They're completely different games. I really don't get why people think Dark Souls system is supposed to be superior when all you do is dodge everything. It wouldn't work in Zelda.
>>
>>376296334
Because of the name.
>>
>>376299012
>when all you do is dodge everything. It wouldn't work in Zelda.

It worked in Twilight Princess with the back slice hidden art.
>>
>>376296334
Because nintendo.
>>
>>376296334
Because Nintendo games are mostly played by only Nintendo fans who are already indoctrinated by the brand meaning that they're going to praise it as the next coming of christ even when it's pure shit (Skyward Sword) or a generic Skyrim clone (Breath of the Wild)
>>
>>376297913
I don't play any of them? I keep a multi-player home game, usually WoW or LoL and then play decent single player titles that drop. BoTW isnt one of them.
>>
>>376296334
It's Normies go-to "I'msuchanerdlol" fantasy game.
>>
>>376296334
It's a legend
>>
>>376296682
>millenials
1982-2004
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.