[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Games back in the days were hard because the developers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Iwata laughter.png (173KB, 355x362px) Image search: [Google]
Iwata laughter.png
173KB, 355x362px
>Games back in the days were hard because the developers played them and though certain parts were too easy
Is Iwata right, should game devs play their games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdRzxmgYWo
>>
Players had to die so they'd insert another coin, and it became the norm for devs even when such system was not in place.
>>
Iwata is dead, pal.
>>
>>376225487
;_;7
>>
File: 1401418634831.jpg (29KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1401418634831.jpg
29KB, 360x270px
>>376225151
Probably at least partially right, but replaying NES games like Zelda makes it clear part of it was simply just not having any sort of concept of some of the quality of life tweeks games have today. You die in Zelda? Hope you like going back around the map and picking up enough hearts or money to buy a potion to bring you back to full health. Good luck finding the one spot on the map that you can just, against all reason, walk through. A lot of things you had to really git gud at by throwing yourself against the problem time and time again until you were a master at it. Zelda really was about combing through every inch of the world until you figured out the next possible step. I think having less games around also meant you were expected to dedicate an autistic amount of time to completely solving a game over a long period of time, instead of binging it all in an afternoon or a few days.

Moon logic sort of factors in here too. There's actually no part in Zelda where bombs are explained. You have to figure out there's breakable spots in walls and that bombs are the only way to open them. Now, the other side of it is that games also used to come with thick manuals that explained a lot of shit they couldn't physically fit into the game. Zelda even had a partial map, and vaguely hinted that bombs could do something neat. Technology didn't help either, so you were left with obtuse shit like "Dodongo dislikes smoke" scrawled out on the screen. It's clear devs would've liked to make things clearer in game, they just couldn't actually figure out the best way to do it yet.

This doesn't mean the difficulty was unfair or that devs were so incompetent they didn't think of certain shit, but it's telling that games became easier to interface with even before the mass casualization of the hobby. There's just some things it takes time to work out, needing to see how gamers as a whole actually work through your games.
>>
>>376225151
games were hard back in the day because unless it was an RPG you weren't supposed to survive your first play through. If you beat the game without challenge you would barely have an hour worth of gameplay
>>
>>376227454
Isn't Super Mario Bros on the NES like 5 minutes long?
>>
>>376227454
Speed run of Zelda II on NES is over an hour
try harder.
>>
>>376225151
Back you also didn't have 200 people and several different studios developing a single game
>>
>>376229509
Which is the true cancer of the videogame industry
>>
>>376225151
Everything gets easier later in in life. Cars, medication, etc.
>>
>>376225151
Games were harder because of Arcade influences, Arcade games were designed to eat your money, for a long time games used to follow the same idea of try and error with tons of research and muscle memory and maybe a bit of luck
>>
>>376226170
Inclosed instruction manuel
>>
>>376225151
Fuck I miss that guy so much - hearing him talk, he's so personable
>>
File: Battletoads (U)-5.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Battletoads (U)-5.png
5KB, 256x224px
Can you imagine the backlash if a modern AAA game came out today with a level like this?
>>
>>376231763
To be honest. Clinger winger is harder than turbo tunnels. In fact I think also the snake level is harder, especially the fourth room, that one can go kiss my anus
>>
File: 24345356581.jpg (35KB, 339x227px) Image search: [Google]
24345356581.jpg
35KB, 339x227px
>>376226170
I like this.
>>
>>376231763
something like
"its like dark souls xD"
>>
>>376232041
Dark Souls wasn't even hard by NES game standards, what I'm talking about is bullshit that full stops the progress of everyone who isn't dedicated to beating their video games
>>
>>376231763
This level isn't even hard
>>
>>376225151
After playing through Yooka Laylee and realizing how little it recaptures the B-K magic I would say it's a requirement. I find it hard to believe that the same devs were able to completely forget how to do grade A level design even if it has been about twenty years. I mean there's just a lack of centralization and scene variance in Yooka Laylee, and that's only one of the things wrong with the game.
>>
>>376225151
>Games back in the days were hard because the developers played them and though certain parts were too easy
For a few devs, sure, but most devs made them hard to pad the length of the game, or in some cases to make them impossible to beat because they didn't bother finishing the ending
>>
>>376233265
>He fell for the meme
Of course it wouldnt live up the hype.
>>
>yfw Iwata killed Nintendo dead
Promotions were a mistake
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.