[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a simple yet engaging RPG to introduce a non-gamer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: dq8-17.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
dq8-17.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
What's a simple yet engaging RPG to introduce a non-gamer to the genre, in your opinion?
>>
>>376182306
radiata stories
>>
>>376182306
Super mario rpg
>>
Phantasy Star IV.
>>
>>376182306
What's the point of introducing someone with a simple RPG? Why not one representative of the full potential of RPGs?
>>
>>376182306

Paper Mario/TTYD
>>
>>376183086

Do you really need someone to explain to you the concept of a learning curve?
>>
>>376182306
The one in your pic
>>
File: garland-knock-you-down-gba.png (19KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
garland-knock-you-down-gba.png
19KB, 240x160px
Dawn of Souls desu
>>
>>376182306
Persona 5? I mean in a way non-gamers will be reminded of Pokemon with the collecting monsters thing, even though in reality it's based on SMT.
>>
>>376182381
Good choice
>>
>>376182306
Ultima VII.
>>
File: 1377132669899.png (57KB, 288x464px) Image search: [Google]
1377132669899.png
57KB, 288x464px
>>376182924
>>
Tough question OP

I'm guessing you mean JRPGs and its hard to suggest old school rpgs because I'd have to imagine the battle system would feel much too dated to a non-gamer

I think your best bet is to look at the stories and see which would suck them in

I honestly doubt you'd have much luck unless they were the ones who were interested in the first place, because in my experience, most non-gamers see jrpg battles as "taking turns attacking each other"
>>
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
>>
>>376183458
I had already disabled both the scan line filter and that ugly as fuck blur shit.

Just don't have a decent screen for it.
>>
>>376182306
Maybe a pokemon game. They're very beginner friendly as kids are a major consumer of them and they typically don't require much grinding or stat management that may scare off a newcomer. The type system might take some memorization for a newcomer but they should be fine even if they don't master it.

If you have a bit more faith in them try Dragon Quest V. A bit more difficult but if you help them they should be fine. Combat is as simple as it comes, its DQ. Very simple but charming story and fun characters and monsters. Maybe try the ps2 version, the DS version has a kinda shitty English translation.
>>
File: Untitled.png (487B, 56x71px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
487B, 56x71px
>>376183582
Your scaling is fucked up still, you're getting uneven pixels. Might want to use integer scaling.
>>
Final Fantasy IV/VII/X or Chrono Trigger for beginners.
>>376182306
>>376183227
>grind quest VIII
Fuck no, they'll hate it.
>>
>>376183701
Can't, thats entirely SEGAS fault on what ever emulator they choose.
>>
>>376182306
Half Minute Hero
>>
>>376183584
English translation for V is fine

It's IV that overdoes the accents

Unless you're talking about the puns, which you're not escaping unless you learn Japanese

I think they're fine desu
>>
Just make sure it's not a plain turn based one. Those just end up being "press a through a lot of text and flashy attack animations" and aren't engaging at all.

If you are going to go turnbased, at least pick one out for your friend that involves timed dodging commands or something.
>>
>>376183730
CT is pretty good too.

DQVIII is the most casual game in the series, it was how most western fans were introduced to the series. Its probably the easiest mainline game due to the skill tree being a bit unbalanced and tension making bosses easier then ever. Great game but still.
>>
>>376182306
Pokemon
>>
File: stretched vs nonstretched.png (28KB, 1032x512px) Image search: [Google]
stretched vs nonstretched.png
28KB, 1032x512px
>>376183775
Man, fuck that. These companies can't ever get anything perfect, there's always some caveat. Even the NES classic mini does this shit but at least they have a pixel perfect option
>>
Chrono Trigger it has a very new-gamer friendly difficulty curve and is easy to understand, the history is really cool and it has a lot of finals.
>>
>>376183923
I don't mind puns for monster names and items, its dialouge that really bothers me. V definitely is a little better then IV about accents but ones like flora's dad is just annoying as fuck and not even funny. Fortunately VII seemed much better about this so if we get XI I can have some hope. Honestly unless you want to marry deborah I think ps2 is best overall, four party members and orchestrated soundtrack.
>>
>>376184026
You were never intended to see the pixels as perfect squares anyway. You wouldn't have on a CRT in the eighties or nineties.
>>
>>376184212
There are shaders that take care of that though. Every pixel has to be the same size or you get some really bad shimmering in the entire image. So you either play at pixel perfect square pixels or you scale all of them into retangles on 4:3.

The NES classic mini doesn't scale anything though and it results in that
>>
>>376182306
Final Fantasy VII

It's so easy, anyone could stumble their way through the story without any effort. Even though the game is extremely overrated, it's not a bad place to learn some of the basics for rpgs
>>
which dragon quest game should i play being that i have never played any of them. also i would prefer to just pirate it rather than purchase a console
>>
>>376182381
I can dig this one, good recommendation.
>>
>>376184742
Play V, it was my first and gives you a good idea of what to expect. Personally I like the sfc version since that was what I played but the ps2 version is probably the best version overall.
>>
>>376184654
Yup, I managed to kill all the super weapons too while being in elementary school and barely knowing English.
>>
>>376182381
The question wasn't "what's a good RPG to introduce to a non-gamer so that they'll get to the shit endings and never want to play another RPG again".
>>
File: 075.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
075.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>376182584
>>
>>376182306
Riviera: The Promised Land
>>
>>376182306
Bravely Default eased me into turn-based RPGs, but then again I was an action game player since forever, so I don't know how effective it would be for a non-gamer
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.