[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have we gotten to the point where graphical advancements in video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

Have we gotten to the point where graphical advancements in video games create diminishing returns for the consumer? Will it hurt Microsoft that they are betting against that with the Scorpio?
>>
>>376149550
We got to that point long ago.
>>
File: detailed shadows (2).webm (165KB, 612x818px) Image search: [Google]
detailed shadows (2).webm
165KB, 612x818px
>>376149550
>>376149758
No because graphics mods will always exist.
>>
>>376150174
How is that relevant to the thread?
>>
>>376149550
Better hardware means much more than just higher poly count or more effects, it also means rendering more at once, having more detailed designs and environments, etc. But VFX continue to be upgraded in games as well.
>>
>>376149550
Yeah ps3 gen the last. There's nothing else to do.
>>
Art style is now enormously more relevant than overall fidelity. I don't need to be able to see every pore on my character's skin, I just want them to look good.
>>
>>376150174
>lantern on hip
>staff glowing enough to make lens flare at waist level

>pitch black shadows being cast from mysterious straight overhead lightsource
>>
>>376151958
this
>>
>>376150174
I'm guessing the one that has the random lightsource is the "fix", else >>376152229
>>
>>376149550
Nah.
Switch and Wii u are just equal shit.

Now go compare a switch game to a game running on 1080p+ and Ultra
>>
>>376150174
>implying that's how light works

Holy shit what a blunder.
>>
>>376151395
>>376152229
>>376152726
>>376152973
Because mods to tangibly improve visuals will always exist, we will never reach the point of diminished returns. There are always returns.
>>
>>376149550
If that were the case wii u would have succeeded u dumb faggot.
Extra processing power can be used for a lot more than raw graphics, like ai. A game like rimworld despite looking extremely simple, would be impossible to run well on an old computer, due to the constant real time AI calculations.

Also, better processing power allows developers to spend less time on optimisation, saving budget for smaller productions. Nier Automata and the tons of indies out there are good examples.
>>
File: ln.gif (7KB, 450x326px) Image search: [Google]
ln.gif
7KB, 450x326px
"diminishing returns"
>>
I could live with top end PS2 game graphics for the rest of my life. Feel like there is more effort to make characters look cool with less graphical power. Many modern day devs think its necessary to make characters ugly to be realistic.
>>
>>376153260
>we will never reach the point of diminished returns. There are always returns.
I don't think you understand the meaning of "diminished". The point is that the increase in fidelity from better hardware isn't as much of a leap as it once was, so the return you get from investing in more expensive hardware is diminishing.
>>
>>376149550
>Neokikeshitendo
>diminishing returns
They still have 10 years to catch up to industry standard before they even can scratch on it, you silly Nintendicksucker.
>>
>>376153845
>I ONLY RECOGNIZE POLYGON COUNT AND TEXTURE RESOLUTION
Only a retard would think theres no room for significant visual improvement. The biggest one devs are working on now are shaders. Look it up, casuals
>>
>>376153997
u mad
>>
>>376154103
stop projecting, Nintendownie.
>>
In terms of just photorealism, yes, but we still have a lot of ways to innovate and improve visuals in other ways, such as better animations or destructible/interactive environments, or in the context of VR, actually making what you see feel like real vs just looking like real life
>>
File: 1465748864741.png (439KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465748864741.png
439KB, 400x400px
>>376153997
>tfw having a real artstyle manages to make the game look better than 99% of other games coming out these days despite being so technically inferior to them
>>
>>376151958
art style relies 100% on graphical fidelity to even be possibly
>>
>>376152954
Talking about all games in general, not just nintendo
>>
>>376149550
Yeah, I do think so. 1080 + 60 FPS is good enough for me and really, I prefer 60 FPS over fucking 4K.
>>
>>376153845
And you CLEARLY don't understand what diminished means. Diminished means gone, delete, non-existant.

Do we render the entire universe with all its laws in pixel-perfect clarity even all of the atoms? No? Then we aren't close.
>>
File: latest-5.jpg (629KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
latest-5.jpg
629KB, 1600x900px
>>376154396
>Not having both art style, technical expertise, as well as oozing atmosphere.
kek, I'm so sorry you have to choose..
>>
>>376156084
No, you're literally misusing the word.
>diminish
>to make or cause to seem smaller, less, less important, etc.; lessen; reduce.

The point being that, while there's still room for improvement, we're not going to see those enormous leaps of visual quality that happened between the earlier console's lifespans.
>>
>>376156551
>The point being that, while there's still room for improvement, we're not going to see those enormous leaps of visual quality that happened between the earlier console's lifespans.
Yes we will, console pleb.
>>
>>376149550
We are not at the point of graphic diminishing returns. Getting to where good graphics are quicker to make and use light/shadow more effectively is still in the works heavily as is graphics effects with physics like moving hair or cloth.

Consoles are damn sure not there yet outside of a few games with stupid high budgets. And their frame rates when looking passable are still to be desired. And console owners do like to stroke dick over whose is most powerful so MS isn't making a bad play here for that reason.

Where MS is fucking up is still thinking they can get carried by multiplats now that their rival system isn't crippled in that respect and has a whole other country for game support. FIFA and COD isn't going to cut it for them.

Last gen, this gen, the up coming 0.5 gen are showing diminishing returns in the number of games worth a fuck on a console though. 3DS was the best pick of the gen and its an underpowered handheld, but at least it had games.
>>
>>376157123
t. sperg
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.