[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the best jrpgs to get somebody into the genre? i bought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 42921806_p2_master1200.jpg (128KB, 748x750px) Image search: [Google]
42921806_p2_master1200.jpg
128KB, 748x750px
what are the best jrpgs to get somebody into the genre?
i bought Dragon Quest VII recently, is it good?
>>
>>376117151
Final Fantasy VII is opening point for normalfags, I never played DQ VII so i can't comment on that.
This year i loved Berseria but tales aren't really what you are looking for.
Chrono Trigger , final fantasy VI are definitely good.
>>
>>376117151
The Dragon Quest games are good but very traditional in design.

Mother 3 is a great one (emulate w/ English translation). They added some very fun timing mechanics to the battles and the game isn't filled with a ton of fluff that other JRPGS have, as they had to fit everything into a GBA cart
>>
throw it into the garbage, played 5h of this game and it's utter atheistic trash
>>
>buy a game
>ask if it's good afterwards
???
>>
>>376117370
i actually have Mother 2, what about this one?
>>
I like Dq7 but it is definitely NOT a great place to enter the genre or even the series
>>
>>376117151
DQ 7 is good.
DON'T LEVEL TOO MUCH BEFORE YOU CAN MASTER DIFFERENT CLASSES!
>>
>>376117151
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Berseria
Radiata Stories
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears(it's depressive though)
Dragon Quest VIII
Star Ocean PS2
Grandia III

DO NOT PLAY EARTHBOUND - highly autistic, repetition until your brain melt, very bad dialogue and poor travel system
>>
>>376117454
don't judge me
>>
Trails in the sky.

It did it for me.
>>
>>376117454
It's an old trope from GameFAQs. Similar to the "just bought X, what am i in for?" from redit
>>
>>376117617
>Tales of Zestiria

Yeah, no
>>
File: 360px-DQV_PS2_Art.png (310KB, 360x337px) Image search: [Google]
360px-DQV_PS2_Art.png
310KB, 360x337px
Dragon Quest V is GOAT
>>
>>376117694
>Tales of Zestiria
It's one of the best in the series. Great story, the DLC adds lots of emotional tie and the combat while not perfect is good for starters
>>
Dragon Quest 7 is my favorite Dragon Quest. It's not really a good starting point. What I love about it is what many hate about it. Namely how slow everything is. There's very little action with you spending most of your time just wondering talking to NPC and finding out what's wrong. All the while the game starts to open up and slowly explaining both story of the different worlds and also the whole game. But it's a REALLY slow game but one I feel deserve to be slow since it really tries to make every world feel important.
>>
>>376117151
SMT: Nocturne
SMT4 / 4A
>>
Gonna get shitposted to death for this but if you want to get someone into JRPGs, give them Persona 5. The combat has alot of player interaction with the hold ups, its more fun for someone who doesnt usually play JRPGs instead of throwing them into something where you're grinding random encounter mobs for a whie.
>>
>>376118318
Persona 4 is a lot more newfag friendly
It has less satanic symbolism and better writing.
>>
>>376117458
I like Earthbound as well, and while it's also a decent intro game, ultimately I was approaching your question from a pure "new to jrpg" standpoint. >Earthbound starts off rather difficult and then evens out within the first 4 (?) hours
>in EB there's a specific area about 15hrs in that a lot of people seem to drift away from the game at (the desert). Not sure why, I just found this to be true
>Mother 3 is shorter and more concise
>Mother 3 has a little more focus on narrative
>Mother 3 also has the benefit of having a more refined version of the combat from EB, but going back to EB afterwards would make you miss it.

So if I were to, say, try and convince my friend that's JRPGS are worth their time, I'd choose something that is fairly light on grinding, has some sort of engaging combat, and a fun narrative.

My first picks would be
>Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
>Mother 3
>possibly Chrono Trigger
>>
>>376117807
Existence of Rose invalidates any good aspects of story.
But the gameplay is enjoyable indeed.
>>
>>376118318
Jesus, don't recommend a waifu dating game as an introduction.
>>
>>376119907
Holy shit the desert is right where I stopped
>>
>>376118318
Man Persona would scare most people I know away.

People want to go on adventures not go to fucking school doing chores.
>>
>>376117617
Radiata Stories would be great if it wasnt for that comba system
>>
Why not FFX?
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (54KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
54KB, 520x520px
>>376120393
You mean FFX-2
>>
>>376117151
DQ7 is a fucking terrible game in general. Easily ranks amongst the worst DQ games.
>>
Dragon Quest V, VII, and VIII are some of my personal favorites, but best JRPG is really tough call between FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

The first is a great journey with lots of memorable moments, different story plots, and great characters. The second is a simple, sweet love song to the genre with some unique elements, time travel, and lots of different endings.
>>
>>376117151
DQ VII is an amazing game.

But maybe the worst entry point for the franchise, and even for the RPGs.

Has a lot of care on the dialogs, and specially the personalities of the characters. BUT, the main focus of the story, are the NPC's stories.

So, if you are only interested on main characters living epic/dramatic adventures, never play DQ VI nor VII
>>
>>376117617
>complain about repetition
>suggest tales games.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.