[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Souls fags, is it worth getting into the lore of Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: ds1.jpg (67KB, 616x346px) Image search: [Google]
ds1.jpg
67KB, 616x346px
Dark Souls fags, is it worth getting into the lore of Dark Souls at this point in time? I've only ever been able to really get into the lore of Bloodborne, but I want a new game world to sink my teeth into. Thing is, I've played the game a few times before and I've never bothered really getting into it because I've found it kind of flat and a little hackneyed with its metaphors about fire, dark light, etc. Although when I first played Bloodborne I just thought it was muh incomprehensible cosmic horror, but after hundreds of hours I realized it's much more than that. Will Dark Souls provide me with a similar experience? Does it get more interesting the deeper you go?
>>
It's worth it. Don't do this for Dark Souls 2 and 3 though.
>>
how do you get in the lore? watching youtubes? wikipedia?
who is telling the truth and who is trying to receive clickbait views?
There are 1 or 2 videos worth watching in the entire youtube and only a couple of articles worth reading
>>
>>376117740
I do my own interpretation. Occasionally I rely on translations, but I usually find multiple independent sources.
>>
>>376117980
that's not bad but far from ideal. It's better to have your own interpretation while listening to someone else because that way you can tell if the person is missing the context or not
>>
>>376118219
I don't avoid listening to other people's interpretations, I just make sure everything I believe is based on something as thoroughly as possible.
>>
>>376116718
Just watch YouTube videos of it. Though usually it's pretty much people making hypotheses with it.
>>
>>376116718
Dark Souls 1's lore is worth it. Ignore 2 and 3, pretend they never fucking happened, all they do is warp and bastardize the lore without adding anything worthwhile.
>>
>>376118386
>hypotheses
that's where everything goes downhill
You shouldn't hear too many speculations. It ruins your brain and your experience.
>>
>>376118386
Unless Dark Souls is much more comprehensible than Bloodborne, which it might be as Miyazaki said as much in the guide, taking YouTube videos as canon is a surefire way to make assumptions for no reason that conflict with the information that's actually in the game. It also takes the thrill out of slowly coming into your own revelations through gameplay.
>>
>>376118579
That's basically it most of the time.
>Item says thing
>Thing exists in world
>Therefore what the item says is true
Truth be told, the lore behind Souls games aren't all that amazing, it's just really hidden and takes a stupid amount of effort to find out.
>>
>>376118425
>Nah Das2 had some pretty cool shit, like Aldia and the giants. No idea for DaS3
>>
>>376116718
>is it worth getting into the lore of dark souls
Dark souls lore is much different in tone than Bloodborne lore. Bloodborne lore is about men fighting men, over the fallout due to misguided ambition. Dark Souls is much more melancholic, its' about people's attempts to stop the inexorable demand by nature that the world be destroyed by entropy.

The series is over by the way so there's never been a better time to get into the lore, since there are no more surprise retcons or twists coming in.
>>
>>376118770
Aldia and the giants are stupid as fuck. >>376118425
And you are retarded. DaS3 dedicates itself to elaborating on the true nature of the age of dark, and darkness in general, and takes great pains to explicitly illustrate the consequences of choosing darkness over light. You are just too fucking dumb to see it because I guess no ebin youtubers spoonfed you like a child.
>>
>>376117740
There's a 108 page research paper by Redgrave out there.

He goes pretty deep into the lore for BB.

Start by just looking up top 10 things you didn't know about _______ videos or lists and go from there.
>>
>>376119809
How are they stupid ? The giant are a spooky ancient race living god know where, they're great.

Aldia is also Seth 2.0 if he was obsesed with preserving the flame instezd of his own mortality.

The dlc lore are also great.
>>
>>376120365
They're dumb in the sense that they came out of nowhere without any explanation for how they relate to established concepts or to the larger conflicts in the series. Are the giants lightfags? They were in possession of the Kiln, so were they trying to link it? How did they come about, since they're very obviously not DaS1/DaS3 giants. Are they some kind of chaos corruption, or just a different species?

DaS2 had this problem a lot where they threw in shitloads of high fantasy races because dud king's field lmao (like the lion men) without ever explaining where the fuck they came from, and where they belong in the setting. They're just there.

Aldia was OK but I really hate how it turned Seath into some kind of immortal spirit of rage. He's already a special enough snowflake, ok?
>>
Dark souls 1 and 3 is where the lores at DaS2 goes on a spinoff and tells us what we already know
>>
reminder that vaati is a hack
>>
>>376120656
Hes also a furry if what I saw was his real tumblr
>>
>>376120365
Why is it that collecting 4 crowns allows me to defeat hollowing
>>
>>376120589
Aren't the giant a bunch of sentients archtree ? It wouldn't be the first time something gets sentient after living long enought. Lions and dwarf could very well be mutations/experiments.

For Seath, wasn't it because he had the magic crystal and a fragmebt of gwyn souls ? I'll admit the whole reincarnation thing doesn't do much for me.

>>376121106
>How come possesig the symbol of power of 4 of the most powerful gods make the player able to resist hollowing

Gee anon I dunno
>>
>>376122715
>how come possessing the symbol of the 4 kings of men
What the fuck does this even mean? Are these symbols like miracles or covenant items or something? Why would being a symbol imply having tangible power?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.