[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes some "dark and edgy" versions of characters,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: latest[1].png (343KB, 786x1014px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
343KB, 786x1014px
What makes some "dark and edgy" versions of characters, like Bass or Warior, so accepted, while other ones, like Shadow the Hedgehog, get ridiculed? As someone who grew up with all three series back during the late NES-SNES era, I just noticed the fandom's reactions.

Is it because Shadow was introduced in the 21st century, while Wario and Bass were brought on relatively "early" in the 90s?

What does /v/ think?
>>
Bass had gameplay differences that make him more fun, multiple shots > charge shots. Same reason Zero is okay. Contrast with shadow who is just a brooding black and red sonic.
>>
>>376115328
Shadow said, and I quote:

"I'm the coolest."
>>
>>376115216
I haven't played a game with Wario or Bass so I can't say anything about those two, but I assume the reason Shadow gets ridiculed so much is because his own game was littered with shitty and cringey dialogue that honestly felt more like a 12 year old trying his best to make a mature sounding story.
>>
I like Shadow
>>
Actually listen to the lyrics of All Hail Shadow sometime.
>>
>>376115641
Wario is a lazy disgusting slob who farts and eats onions and shoulder tackles his foes.

Bass is designed as a Mega Man killer who is programmed to "be the best robot." This often leads him to thwarting Wily's own plans, because Wily keeps trying to make robots better than Bass to beat Mega Man.

Shadow had a bit of an identity crisis. First he was "I'm the ultimate life form" then he was "Who am I, AAAAANGST!" Then he became a super bro, probably a better hero than Sonic.

Problem with Shadow is that his sequel was agnsty, and his best character development happened in Sonic 06, so people only remember him for the bad parts of the franchise.
>>
theres a different between bass and literlly hedgehog vegeta
>>
>>376116106
But isn't Bass basically robot Vegeta?

He claims to be the best around
only fights dudes to show he's better than protag.

I mean, I guess you could call Shadow "Hedgehog Vegeta" because he actually has character development later one.

Bass never grows, and he can't, because he's a robot.
>>
>>376116253
bass doesnt look edgey tho, he looks likes a black megaman with a gay haircut
>>
File: this party sucks.png (337KB, 748x248px) Image search: [Google]
this party sucks.png
337KB, 748x248px
Because Shadow's game existed.
>>
File: 1464612638958.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1464612638958.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>376115216
>I had no idea for years until just recently that Bass' head things are supposed to make him look like a cobra

DEEPEST LORE
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (306KB, 1328x1298px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
306KB, 1328x1298px
>>376116535
Bass.exe has enough edge for all three of these characters
>>
>>376115216
Bass was introduced in the mid 90's, in terms of edge he was edge lite, like a teenager that dont want to do as his dad says, cringy in his own way but not full blown.
>>
>>376115216
Well for one, Wario isn't "dark and edgy". For two, it's probably because Wario and Bass never got an entire game dedicated to them using a massive tonal shift compared to the rest of the franchise.

Shadow the Hedgehog was the first time in the Sonic series to feature guns, actual firearms, usable by the playable characters, not just robot cannons or something. It was the first time that Sonic characters were shown swearing in an English dub. Possible endings include outright killing Sonic or Eggman. And like others have said, the game is chock-full of cringey edgemaster dialogue that just seems to get played straight.

The Sonic series took Shadow a lot more seriously and in-focus than the Mega Man series did Bass. Can't really blame them for trying though, since that was right around the heyday of Myspace angst and shit like that. Darkness and brooding were "cool" back then.
>>
>>376115216
It probably helps if they don't look like they're just a dark palette swap of the main character.
>>
File: 542t34t.png (107KB, 664x392px) Image search: [Google]
542t34t.png
107KB, 664x392px
>Wario
>dark and edgy
>>
File: Mhx_vilestand.png (499KB, 728x1151px) Image search: [Google]
Mhx_vilestand.png
499KB, 728x1151px
who's more edgy, pic related or bass?
>>
>>376118667
Neither of them are that edgy. Vile is just Boba Fett and Bass is just an asshole.
>>
>>376118667
Rockman = X
Protoman = Zero
Bass = Vile
>>
>>376116018
>his best character development was 06
Are you sure, all I remember from that game was blaze got retconned
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.