[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give it to me straight, boys. If I'm a JRPG fan but have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: persona-5.png (128KB, 748x619px) Image search: [Google]
persona-5.png
128KB, 748x619px
Give it to me straight, boys. If I'm a JRPG fan but have never played a Persona game before, will I enjoy this title? What can I expect from this?
>>
>>376081070
Yes, but it depends how much you'll buy into the social sim aspect to decide whether you'll love it or not

>dungeons aren't just random encounters, chance to ambush enemies or be ambushed
>11 types of damage with each enemy having different strengths and weaknesses
>requires actual management of HP and MP when playing hard or higher difficulty
>dungeons are great, varied in both puzzle design and layout
>Personas, your main means of attack, can be customized to fit your wants

The social sim ties into the dungeons by influencing how powerful your personas are. As your SL's upgrade, it gives you bonuses both in and out of dungeons and effects how strong your personas are when you make them. Overall it's a great game and you'll have a good time. beware the 2-6 hour before the actual beginning of the first dungeon though
>>
>>376081563
That sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about the social sim aspect though - I do enjoy social sims, so how much gametime does it cover relative to the dungeon/combat segments?
>>
>>376081892
It's about 50:50 depending on how you approach each dungeon. The game works on a calendar system where you get two time slots: day and night. Doing an activity takes up a time slot, so exploring the dungeon or hanging out with a friend will use a time slot. For me, I try to clear the entire dungeon when I first get it because you only have a certain number of days to beat it before its game over, which takes 2 days or more if the dungeon is special. I've timed this to around 5-6 hours in total to clear a single dungeon. After a dungeon is done, you have a lot of social sim time and around average you'll have a new dungeon every month. Going through the month also takes around 5-6 hours. On the side there's another dungeon that grows as you play the game, it's mostly for sidequest, but it does add an extra hour or two to dungeoning if you go constantly
>>
>>376081892
I'd say about half honestly, if you include story and plot points as those can be quite long.
One piece of advice I'll give is to not get attached to your personas - the way it works basically is that each friend (or social link they're called) you have is related to a tarot card type, and the stronger your relationship (level) with these then the more bonus experience you'll get when creating a new one of that type.

You should be fusing constantly, don't be scared to as you can just register your current ones at the compendium and retrieve them at any time.

The reason you do this is because fusing personas to create stronger ones is the only way to keep up, as they have much higher XP requirements to level up through normal combat.
>>
>>376082418
Thanks, but 5-6 hours an awfully long fucking time for one dungeon. Can I save mid-dungeon?

I really just wanted a reason to buy this game and you guys have almost sold me on it.
>>
Why don't you just emulate persona 3 and 4 to find out
>>
>>376081070
why don't you just try it and decide for yourself.
>>
You'll enjoy it, but thinking it is among the top JRPG series all depends on your taste. Persona isn't a top JRPG series but it is solid.
>>
>>376082696
Yeah, you can find safe rooms periodically that let you save or just leave, and come back.

Honestly just get the game, if you're into JRPGs you'll like it at the very least.
>>
>>376081070
>starting a numbered series at 5
no
>>
>>376082851
The story between each game transferring over isn't really crucial. Unless you are someone that does have crippling autism and has to play game series in chronological order from when they are released.
>>
>>376082851
I started at 4, then went to 3 now 5
>>
File: burningup.jpg (65KB, 600x167px) Image search: [Google]
burningup.jpg
65KB, 600x167px
>>376082949
>the only reason to start a series from the beginning is the story
silly anon
>>
>>376081070
I believe so. I was in the same boat as you and ended up loving the game
>>
I really liked persona 3 and 4 but as a jrpg fan I find the battle system and dungeons to be complete shit. I hear 5 is better at dungeons though. I'm playing more smt now and those are better jrpgs with good battle systems and dungeon crawling. Persona is still a great series but it's more of a good sim with some jrpg gameplay that's not as good as the rest of the game.
>>
watch some of GB's endurance run of P4 desu
>>
>>376083025
The games are much more self contained than others. Maybe a nod here and there from previous games but that is about it. It isn't like a trilogy in which the first game leaves off on some sort of cliff hanger or another adventure and the second game picks up right after with a new adventure for those characters.
>>376083171
What are JRPG's with good turn based battle systems. What are JRPG's with bad ones?
>>
>>376083301
It's not about the story doofus, did you read my post? Anyways, it's probably for the best anyway that people start with Persona 5. The gameplay has gotten worse with every iteration.
>>
>>376083301
The grandia series have great turn based gameplay. I really liked Nocturne's press turn system too. Mana Khemias is really fun but the game is low budget. I like Suikoden's but fuck the games are just too easy. Persona has one of my least favorites. Even simple ones like Dragon Quest and Final fantasy I enjoy more.
>>
>>376081070
Do you like anime?

Are you willing to accept the fact that 50% of the game is basically a visual novel/dating sim?

If you answered yes to both of those questions, you will love it.
>>
Threadly reminder that if you claim this game is goty but call western games "movies" unironically you're a hypocrite
>>
>>376083572
Let me just add to this that I still like persona a lot. Just the other parts of it
>>
>>376083572
What is so great about Suikoden's battle mechanics? They were very bare bones. Due to lack of character customization, interesting character development mechanics, and a standard battle system that Suikoden was a very average JRPG.
>>
>>376083301

I haven't played Persona, but I would say that good JRPG combat is not simply mash attack to win. Good systems usually employ some kind of strength/weakness system combined with maybe a limitation on what you can have on the field at the time.

FFX does a really good job with this (You need Wakka or a magic user to hit flying monsters, Auron to break hard shelled monsters, etc.) Plus there are interesting boss fights that turn on things like status effects (e.g. Yunalesca)

It's been awhile since a played SMT: Nocturne but from what I remember the combat is pretty good.

Bad JRPG combat is mash attack to win with numbers going up
>>
>>376084398
So in general Final Fantasy had good combat systems.
>>
>>376084398
your entire post is about turn based games specifically. i would agree, but don't bundle up the entire genre as a whole and say this is what it needs to have
>>
3 hours in so far

>be relatively well behaved kid
>do your best to help out someone in a bad situation and getting screwed yourself
>everyone still feels the need to point out how shitty of a person you are

I get having preconceived notions but this game is really hammering it in

could you imagine if japan had to deal with ghetto blacks
>>
>>376084514

ATB and CTB are totally different though.

And don't even get me started on something like XII
>>
>>376085787
Final Fantasy XII is just like the ATB games but you can move your guys around but it doesn't offer any strategic benefits. It is just all show. You still wait for your meter to fill to perform an action. You can still exploit enemy elemental weaknesses like the rest of the series.
>>
File: 1445869640201.jpg (32KB, 532x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445869640201.jpg
32KB, 532x720px
>>376085785
Moral of the story? People can only save themselves.

We F/S:N now
>>
>>376081070
Do you like roleplaying as a high school student? Or are you indifferent or antagonistic?
>>
>>376081070
>I'm a JRPG fan
>never played a Persona game before

Pick fucking one
>>
>>376081070

play persona 3

better characters better everything
>>
>>376087231
You can be a fan of JRPG's and not have played certain series or dislike certain games.
>>
>>376081070
One of the few jrps that require actual brainpower in higher difficulties.
You'll enjoy it.
>>
>>376087352
>Persona 3
>Tartarus
>Has 3 melee variations but only 4 affinities + light/dark
>Plot teeters for several periods, sometimes going weeks without any single shred of progress other than random full moon bosses.

You're wrong. I'll give you characters, though.
>>
Make one change to persona 5 to make it 10/10.
I'll start.

Let you pick one of your non-party member social links once per playthrough to bring into the metaverse and make them a party member by giving them a persona from their arcana.
>>
I can't relate to highschoolers and every time I play I just end up feeling pathetic I'm literally resorting to friend simulators.
>>
File: trumpetr.png (171KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
trumpetr.png
171KB, 500x498px
>>376081070
>Heavy resource management at least until midgame
>Entertaining battle system as far jrpg goes (status effects not totally useless is a big plus)
>Recruit and fusing personas/demons (best aspect of the game for me)
>Social Sim aspect gives you + xp when fusing and some nice abilities both in the dungeon and outside
>Time management between dungeon crawling/stats(required for some social aspects)/ socializing.
>Decent story plagued with bad pacing

Definitely I would give it a try if you truly enjoy RPGs
I would also recommend hard as your first playthrough but the first dungeon is really punishing so you might not want to commit.
>>
File: ._..png (17KB, 612x567px) Image search: [Google]
._..png
17KB, 612x567px
>>376087851
Think of it this way.
You don't NEED to relate to anyone in a videogame, ever.
You can just watch and see how they interact, appreciate the characters for who they are.
The main character may be silent and you choose what he says once in a while, but are you him?
I most certainly do not believe you're a handsome bespectacled sex god with a black jew fro, canonically laid back and quiet who always says the right thing at the right time (nobody is).

Stop trying to force yourself into a role in game and just watch and play.
>>
>>376081070
No. It's one of the worst series of JRPGs ever. Bland terrible unlikable characters, shitty forgettable elevator music, literally corridor simulator, braindead turn based trash, predictable twists with shitty a "town bully" "villain". Eye cancer artstyle. Padded to fuck with retarded tacked visual novel shit. Only people that like it are neet otaku neckbeards and weebs.
>>
I hear there's a 30 day plot gap. When does it start?
>>
>>376081892
> JRPG fan
> enjoys social sims
This is your game honestly.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.