[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think that if Halo ended after Reach was made, it could have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

File: file.png (451KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
451KB, 640x400px
I think that if Halo ended after Reach was made, it could have ended with a flawless legacy.

>Agree/disagree?
>>
File: dust and echoes.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dust and echoes.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
It should have ended with the first game.
>>
Should have ended at 3. Reach is overrated dogshit.
>>
>>376049712
This. Master Chief should still be floating through space in search of his next grand adventure
>>
>>376049607
Yeah, but so should every series.
>>
>>376049712
The scale in this picture seems off. The Halo worlds are huge. I didn't think covenant ships were that big if they can land on the Halos
>>
halo 3 was literally the last good halo game, they just couldn't figure out how to replicate the pure organic fun of custom games.

halo wars, halo odst, halo reach, halo 4 and 5 were all such huge disappointments, i've been chasing the white dragon for over a decade
>>
Halo 2 created the regenerating health problem as we know it today

Halo 3 was shit across the board. Every single aspect was just fucking bad.
>>
>>376049425
Definitely not. I really liked Reach but it would still have many flaws. Either way, it would be 10 times better than what we have now.
>>
>>376050175
Halo 4 was pretty damn bad, but Jesus Christ I can't believe what I played with Halo 5
>>
>>376050306
I just abandoned the series after Halo 4. I had a friend who got it around release and I saw him playing it once, looked like shit.
>>
>>376049923
The cruiser in that picture is supposed to be slightly larger than an aircraft carrier.
>>
>>376049712
>Overrated

>Great gametype selection and had the most active forge/customs scene in the series
>Can play the entire campaign with custom Spartan
>He/she even appears in all cutscenes
>Campaign itself is fairly decent
>Weekly challenges
>Largest selection of cohesive and good-looking armor designs.
>Good armor unlocks system
>No stupid ass skins, loot system, or microtransactions

Bloom and AAs wasn't enough to bring it down for me, but I played TU BTB 99% of the time.
>>
File: 16567576576567.jpg (319KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
16567576576567.jpg
319KB, 1600x1200px
>>376049425
Halo 2 had to be my favorite halo out of all of them.It may of been unfinished and casual tier, but damn it if wasn't fun.
>>
>>376050720
I feel like you could fit an aircraft carrier on a halo world. I'm assuming they could fit scarabs and whatnot on them and Scarabs are pretty big.
>>
>>376050306
>>376050443
>>376050009
>>376049425
5 had great multiplayer tho.
>>
>>376050774
Oh...forgot to mention that yes, it died after reach.
>>
>>376049425

Reach is dogshit, only trumped by 4 as being the worst shit in the series.

5 and 3 are the best, assuming you're not some casual faggot that cares only about the campaign.
>>
I guess. It was definitely clear that Bungie was beginning to lose their touch with Reach, Destiny only confirmed it later on.
>>
>>376050890
Destiny and reach were fun though, anon.
>>
Who cares about leaving behind legacies when you can milk games for all they're worth with sequels that ruin the brands name?
>>
>>376050306
343's decision to center most of 4's narrative around Chief and Cortana definitely works in it's favour at least, it's a genuinely compelling look at the two characters. Admittedly though it's weak beyond that.
>>
>>376050774
>>376050940
>fun
We don't like that word here.
>>
>>376050845
>good multiplayer
>implying having a good multi system means your game is good
Not to mention it wasn't even good, pretty much degraded the original multi to CoD-tier shittery
>>
>>376049923
>what is perspective
>>
>>376050740
This, not to mention it's visuals are a definite peak for Halo and still look beautiful today.
>>
>>376050774

Halo 2 is not casual just because you played it like one.
>>
File: 1427929026391.gif (169KB, 272x200px) Image search: [Google]
1427929026391.gif
169KB, 272x200px
>>376051052
>shitty perspective is good
>>
>>376051091
I bet I could kick your ass skrubcake.
>>
>>376050884
Halo 5 has a dogshit campaign and dogshit competitive. It failed hilariously on both fronts.

At least Reach had ZBNS.
>>
>>376051235

I'm literally in the top 200 players on Halo 5 so I doubt it.
>>
File: Halo3 vs Reach.png (608KB, 824x511px) Image search: [Google]
Halo3 vs Reach.png
608KB, 824x511px
>>376051062
The visuals are great, but for me some of the designs just seem like a clusterfuck. I guess they tried making it more realistic or something and then made stuff more tacticool
>>
>>376049425
Correct.
>>376050740
>>376051062
What is it that makes Reach look so much better than 4 and 5? I can't seem to put in into words.
>>
>>376051462
>on halo 5
KEK
>>
>>376051462
>halo 5
Step up your game
>>
>>376051462
Then post your gamertag already fucker
>>
>>376051462
of the 201 people who still play that game, being ranked 200 isn't something to be proud about.
>>
>>376050884
>Halo 5
>anything but dogshit

Why do people pretend Reach was awful and that they like 5 when almost everything bad about Reach was made worse in Halo 4 and 5?

Halo 5 is online-only, it's the worst in the series for that reason alone.
>>
>>376049425
I agree.

Even with its problems, I think Reach really captured the scale of the human-covenant war in a way that the master chief focused games couldn't. I think it accomplished a lot as a prequel since it focused on what was at stake for humanity, which in turn made the master chiefs journey all the more important.
>>
>>376051513
Both of them look bad tbqh
>>
>>376049425
Reach was shit thought you literal child.

>you now share a board with people who weren't even born when Halo 2 came out
>>
>tfw I was that kid who talked like Master Chief as he appears in Arby n' the Chief
>>
>>376051542
Halo wasn't full blown 343 shit back then. It was already starting to go downhill but it at least managed to draw one dying breath.
Also the campaign, weapons, enemies, visuals/locations were all better than the current Reclaimer stuff. Not the mention the story wasn't retarded "muh forerunners lets resurrect dead characters lmao spartan 4s" bullshit.
>>
>>376051513
I prefer tacticool myself.
>>
>>376051904
Well, if that's your thing. I still think that Reach had the best weapon design, at least.
>>
>>376051542
It's a combination of a lot of things. Some things that people hate in modern games, while still basically running perfectly complimentary to Halo.

Much like Halo 3 it used photo-realistic textures, however its character models are 'slightly' desaturated and armor shading is on-point for the first, and only time in the series. The armor looks 100% like composite titanium, which is the alloy it is described as in lore. It also has a shitload of motion blur, take it or leave it.
>>
>>376051856
Me and my friend would constantly reference the show in class and break down laughing
>>
>>376049425
Disagree because ODST and Reach are flawed.
>>
>>376051025
Except 5 removed almost all the CoDshit from 4 and returned to even starts

thanks for confirming you've never played it.
>>
>>376055317
ODST is better then 3. It has a better campaign, it has firefight, and it has 3's MP included.
>>
>>376055592
ODST was a glorified expansion. Yeah it had a good campaign and Firefight was good but it shouldn't have cost as much as it did and even then the game still could have been done a little better.

There is no good reason why the ODST should play just like a Spartan does.

Glad you don't even bother defending Reach since its been talked about to death the issues with that game.
>>
>>376051462
What's your opinion on how automatic weapons are balanced in H5?

Do you think they are overpowered, or do you think it's a good thing that they are actually useful for once?

I lean towards the latter, but I concede that spraying with the AR is too good, it outright is more effective the controlled, accurate bursts with it, so I'm cautiously optomistic that the changes 343 are making to it will make spraying worse and bursting better.
>>
>>376055542
>ADS
>Zoom mapped to left trigger
>Everyone has sprint
>Everyone has a thruster pack
>Weapons all highlighted on the map

But yeah, even starts make up for all that, its totally not Halo of Duty again!
>>
>>376055772
>There is no good reason why the ODST should play just like a Spartan does.
You can't jump as high or take as much damage, your melee attacks do less damage, you move more slowly, why wouldn't a regular marine play like a toned-down spartan?
>>
>>376056008
>You can't jump as high or take as much damage, your melee attacks do less damage, you move more slowly

I never noticed any of these things. I'm pretty sure they played nearly identical to Spartans. They even regenerate health.
>>
File: 1413024896338.jpg (28KB, 658x494px) Image search: [Google]
1413024896338.jpg
28KB, 658x494px
>Hated on Reach when it came out while most defended it to no end
>years passed and now people realize its errors

Feels good, man

Also, ODST was great in its own way. Exactly how a spinoff should be done.
>>
>>376049425
If 2 was on steam I genuinely think the multiplayer would be played to this day.
>>
>>376049425
It did end with Reach, Bungie makes Destiny now.
>>
>>376055772
I think reach is better then 3 as well, but it's more arguable and I didn't feel like getting into that right now.

>but it shouldn't have cost as much as it did and even then the game still could have been done a little better.

I actually agree, but "is it worth the cost" isn't really the same metric as quality. IMO, you need to judge games for what they are, not what they aren't.

There's not really any problems with ODST itself as a game, there's just things that could have been better, like making it more of a proper tactical shooter and less like a halo game, as you say, but fundamentally that's not what they were going for and I don't think it's far to call that a problem with the game, if that makes any sense.

>>376055801
It's not mechanically like ADS at all, it only looks like ADS. in terms of actual gameplay, it's just fucking zoom. And what button it's tied to is irrelavemt as long as you have the option to move it back to r3, and you do.

>Everyone has sprint
I said "almost all", not all. And sprint in 5 is fine, they fixed the gameplay issue sit had in 4 and reach.

>Everyone has a thruster pack
Yes, and it's a huge benefit to gameplay. I wish it would have been added to the series earlier.
>>
>>376056157
Well they were there, you couldn't punch brutes to death nearly as easily
>>
>>376049425

No because we've been chasing the dragon that is Halo:CE so no sequel ever felt like a true follow up. I was equally disappointed with the franchise between Halo 2, Halo 3, DLClo, and Reach.
>>
>>376049425
if it ended after 3.
>>
SWAT, Kane & Lynch, real Prey, Time splitters

Fuck, I miss kane & lynch. The series was mediocore, but it had a lot of potential.
>>
File: costanzad.png (435KB, 853x477px) Image search: [Google]
costanzad.png
435KB, 853x477px
>>376056157
>They even regenerate health.
No, they only regenerate shields
You still need to get healthpacks if you are gravely wounded. That was the first time they introduced this mechanic and was one of the indicators that ODSTs arent spartans
Did you even play the game?
>>
>>376056274
Well Reach is in no way better than 3. Only thing I will admit it plays faster paced but your base speed is also slower to compensate for sprint being added to the game.
>>376056280
Yeah I was definitely punching brutes to death with ease. You were probably just trying to roleplay what wasn't there.
>>
>>376056274
It just doesn't play like Halo. It's fine for what it is, but all that just doesn't make it play or feel like a Halo game.

Sprint, the thruster pack and ADS are not fine. Sprint and the thruster pack are get-out-of-jail-free cards all to often, you don't have to be as deliberate with your movement, you can just run away if you're in a bad situation a lot of the time. It doesn't facilitate deliberate and calculated movement or map knowledge as much. ADS would have been fine for the autos that had nothing before, but regular zoom is just flat-out better because you don't have the gun taking up the bottom third of your screen. There was no reason to change the zoom on long-range weapons and the weapons do function differently as a result, its not just a cosmetic change.

They changed the zoom, remapped the controls, etc. because they wanted to appeal to a younger audience that is used to games that play more closely to that than to what Halo CE, 2 and 3 played like. The changes were largely unnecessary and really just drove home how out of touch 343 is with what Halo fans actually want, or that they just didn't care and wanted a wider audience.

Oh, and the MP and co-op are online-only, behind the Live paywall and will be unplayable when servers go down, so they can fuck themselves just for that.
>>
>>376056812
What "feels" like a Halo game? Because every release has been so wildly different from the previous one.
>>
3 was the top of the mountain Reach was where the series hit its plateau and 4 was a giant chasm to the pits of hell
>>
>>376056693
Point being marines were less durable and less powerful, which is exactly what I said. You couldn't just run up to a brute and punch it to death as easily. Why shouldn't they play like toned-down spartans? Spartans are functionally just more powerful and durable marines.
>>
File: 1493931483123.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
1493931483123.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>376056274
>sprint in 5 is fine, they fixed the gameplay issue sit had in 4 and reach.

Which apparently did not include traversing the map 10x faster than anyone playing the game as god intended and creating a shitload of 2v1s and 3v1s, and being able to guarantee killing both players fighting each other in FFA if you just repeatedly sprint at people distracted by their original target.

>I wish it would have been added to the series earlier.

I wish people like you hadn't killed Halo.
>>
>>376057153
>10x faster
It's barely faster than walking now.
>>
>>376056974
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnw-Z5x1yaI

The game really wasn't all that different from what we have played before with Spartans.

It could have been done a bit better, it could have also been a lot cheaper. Point is while it was a good game it wasn't as great as its predecessors.
>>
File: wewantawideraudience.png (132KB, 857x460px) Image search: [Google]
wewantawideraudience.png
132KB, 857x460px
>>376056904
CE, 2 and 3 were not as wildly different from one another as 4 and 5 are from the rest of the series. I want what 343 reportedly had before it got scrapped resulting in the Halo 4 we actually got. You had to be deliberate with your movement, you couldn't just sprint from piece of cover to piece cover, map layout and knowledge of said layout was more important and you had to actually think carefully about where you were going and how you were doing it.

I got the very distinct impression from Halo 5 that it was designed first and foremost in an effort to gain a wider audience, I do think the changes like ADS and the CoD controls were made simply because they wanted to court people who were interested in other shooters that play like that and not like the old Halo games. It was either a concentrated effort on their part to make the game appeal to a new audience, or 343 genuinely thought this is what most Halo fans wanted and are just woefully out of touch.

And again Halo 5 lacking any form of local multiplayer or co-op automatically puts it at the bottom. No ifs, ands or buts, it has half the functionality the other games barring CE have, no fucking excuse for that and its clear it hurt the games longevity severely. Halo 5s MP is okay for what it is, but its just not Halo, too much has been tinkered with and altered for the sake of tinkering and altering.
>>
Probably. I wasn't too big of a fan of Reach but I really enjoyed the customization options. 4 and 5 are dogshit though, except 5's multiplayer is kind of fun. I don't really mind REQs if it means we get free content updates.
>>
>>376057727
Also, why the fuck is customization limited to full armor sets in Halo 5? Even fucking Halo 2 let you mix and match a couple pieces, and the armor customization was one of the few redeeming aspects of Halo 4.
>>
>>376057727
>CE, 2 and 3 were not as wildly different from one another as 4 and 5 are from the rest of the series.
Arguably, CE is more different than 2 than any other Halo game is from the previous. The change in player movement, item and player spawns, general weapon and vehicle design philosophy. The only thing the two games really have in common is the player movement being limited to walking and jumping.

>I do think the changes like ADS and the CoD controls were made simply because they wanted to court people who were interested in other shooters that play like that and not like the old Halo games.
Who cares? You can still play it like older games and just change the controls.

>>376057984
>Even fucking Halo 2 let you mix and match a couple pieces
Halo 2 let you change your color.
>>
>>376057923
>I don't really mind REQs if it means we get free content updates.
No, fuck you, this is why we have that shit in the firs place, people being complacent. You should be getting updates for fucking free in the first place.

Halo 5 could have had an actual BTB mode with real maps if they hadn't wasted their time trying to milk idiots with loot boxes, microtransactions are cancer and will never not be cancer.
>>
>>376057984
Because the head art guy threw a bitch fit that everyone was using the bits they liked and not full sets.
His exact explanation was wanting to make sure you could tell what someone was wearing just by looking it it.
Which means fuck all because armor is cosmetic and every single one 343 has made on their own is a visual mess anyway.
>>
>>376058129
>Who cares?
Not an argument, and I fucking care. Changing your game for the sake of appealing to people who aren't your core audience is bad for that core audience. I think its telling that Halo 5 is the worst-selling game in the series and that MS did things like hide sales numbers for months and hid the online population. It undersold, and it undersold because it still played too much like Halo 4 for much of the core audience and it was missing core, staple features, like offline play. I could forgive and deal with changes to gameplay even if I don't like them, again I said the MP is okay for what it is, but cutting core features for no good reason is too much. They designed it to resemble other popular shooters and cut features because they thought it would result in more money.
>>
>>376058702
>and I fucking care
Why? Jut change your controls.
>>
>>376058764
So, that removes infinite sprint, the thruster pack, ADS, Warzone/REQ bullshit and patches in splitscreen and co-op? No? Didn't think so.

This is the same argument used to defend mobile games and microtransactions. It's not about whether or not you choose to use them, its about the fact that the game is designed around them being there, just ignoring them won't change that. I can pretend I'm not playing Call of Halo and change my controls, pretend ADS isn't there and never scope in and only play with sprint off, but that doesn't change the fact that the game was designed around those things being there, just ignoring them or turning them off doesn't change that.
>>
>>376057314
It's 10x faster because you're not comparing walk speed to sprint speed, you're comparing it to someone walking in random directions to avoid the opponent's fire, to someone just casually sprinting behind them.
>>
>>376056904
This, 100%

if vehicle hihacking came out new in Halo 6 you fags would be bitching and moaning about it, but had bungie implemented sprint or the thrusters in Halo 2 or 3 it would be way less controversial.
>>
>>376051542
Reach wasn't saturated to all hell and it's armor was designed by somebody who knew what the hell they were doing.
>>
>>376059657
>not changing immediatly to bumper jumper on every Halo ever
Hey if you want to handicap yourself pretending you're playing CoD that's fine by me, scrubs are always easy kills for me.
>>
>>376059657
>So, that removes infinite sprint, the thruster pack, ADS, Warzone/REQ bullshit and patches in splitscreen and co-op? No? Didn't think so.
Fuck, you sound like such a fucking crybaby, all of those mechanics aren't objetively bad, it's just that you don't like them. 2 is almost completely different than CE, 3 added projectile weapons and equipment, Reach had bloom, AAs and 4 had loadouts/perks. Did you complain about those too? Yes? Then go back to CE, it's as simple as that.
>>
>>376061780
Not really, Reach introduced jetpacks and abilities and that is in the top 3 shittiest halos.
>>
>>376061780
>If this had happened you TOTALLY would have just done that!
lol nice conjecture based on absolutely nothing.
>>
>>376051052
>shows where the beam contacts halo, directly beneath the ship
>ship is too large to fit on halo
perspective isnt the problem
>>
>>376050105
any call of duty or even battlefield didnt do this before them?
>>
>>376059657
Nigger, it acts identical to zoom, it only looks different. Yes, I liked the old look of zoom better too, but it's only a visual difference, calm down.

>>376062472
Because they broke even starts.
>>
>>376050105
>best in the series
>shit across the board
This guy knows good vidya guys, listen to him, and is FFVII retrospective masturbation
>>
>>376063112
No, its not just a visual difference. The BR barely zooms at all, for example, and you have a third of your screen taken up by the gun. It affects gameplay, its not purely cosmetic.
>>
>>376051462
>Halo 5
Try halo 3 you little fucking bitch
>>
>>376063112
>identical to zoom
>sword has increased lunge
>Automatics have tighter spread
>DMR, BR, Magnum have titgher spread.
>"zoom" holds you in the air.

>identical
>>
>>376064046
Zoom resulted in less spread in 4, reach, and 3 for certain weapons already.

>>376063414
That's still a visual, not a mechanical difference, even if it impacts gameplay and I agree it's visually distracting.
>>
>>376065801
Well if it affects gameplay that's all the reason I need to not like it, that's perfectly valid. It does not function exactly like zoom, and again I would have been fine with them adding ADS to autos that had nothing before but there was no reason to change the scopes on the longer-ranged weapons. It affects gameplay and in a way I do not like, and they only made the changes in an attempt to court a wider audience who would see a game with ADS and all that other stuff as more appealing than what the old Halo games offered. So they both made changes that I find negatively impact gameplay and made them for horrible reasons.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.