[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it fine to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance before playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: fftajpg-c73fa7_1280w.jpg (223KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fftajpg-c73fa7_1280w.jpg
223KB, 1280x720px
Is it fine to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance before playing the original?

Is the story for Advance contingent on knowledge of the first game's story? Or does it just drop references to characters in the previous games

Why are these games so good?
>>
As far as I know, it takes place in a different universe.

As to why they're good, they provide a good amount of class variety while providing some fun and challenging missions and enjoyable characters for the most part.
>>
>>376006130
so no character references or connecting themes from the original?
also i've heard that Advance in particular has retarded rules at the beginning of battles that make some fights really annoying. how true is that?
>>
>>376006647
the two games have almost nothing in common as far as story goes, there are no shared characters or plot elements between the two
FFT is a serious story about political shit whereas FFTA is a lighthearted story in a fantasy land

and yes it has retarded rules, some people like them and some people hate them
i wouldn't mind them so much if it weren't for how enemies in storyline battles ignore the rules, so they only effect you
>>
>>376006647
ones a medieval politics simulator while the other is a more light hearted fantasy land
>>
>>376004291
They're totally unrelated

>FFT
>High Fantasy with Dark themes, more routed in reality and politics

>FFT
>High fantasy, much less political, much less serious and light hearted

So no, you don't have to play either before the other.
>>
>>376004291
They aren't related in anyway outside of gameplay
>>
>>376006647

Advance puts restrictions on random actions in some battles (e.g. You can't use a certain skill for that one battle). You will be penalized if you do the action anyway.
>>
File: Savor-it.png (47KB, 427x340px) Image search: [Google]
Savor-it.png
47KB, 427x340px
>>376006647
In the PSP hd version of the first FFT, the A2 protag makes a cameo, but that's it, it's not canon

Advance, A2, and FF12 are the only games in Ivalice Alliance that take place in the same world
>>
FFTA is an isekai where the MC actually wants to go home
>>
>>376007119
it's funny because it's actually one of the few that give him incentive not to aside from the typical "muh fantasy world"

He still wants to though
>>
>enjoying it for the first time
good to be you m8
>>
>>376006130
It's the same universe, FFT just takes place in the future after some unknown cataclysmic event wiped out furries and set back technology.
>>
>>376007119
>protagonist realizes the world they've been dropped in is a flimsy illusion made for wish fulfillment
>based enough to say no way to that gay shit and drag his fantasy-addled friends back to reality
>4chan hates him forever for not leaving his friends to rot in for eternity while a parasitic spirit lets them kill their class-bullies-come-monsters and be called heroes for it
>>
>>376004291
Advance has nothing to do with the first Tactics besides the country having the same name. It's more in line with FFXII's Ivalice.
>>
>>376004291
Its fine. Hell, you can play the FFT games in any order.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a true low fantasy game, filled with drama, political intrigue, backstabbing and the like. It has a lot in common with its direct ancestor, Tactics Ogre, but shares no story elements.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is about 4 kids becoming trapped in a fantasy world. It introduces Judges, which enforce certain restrictions and recommendations per battle. If you follow their recommendations, you'll be rewarded. If you do the restrictions, you'll be punished. This applies to the enemy as well, and the enemy can't do shit if you catch them at a bad time.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 is a direct sequel, but shares only 2 characters with the first and almost no story elements. Judges are more laid back; they no longer outright punish you. You've got a bunch of bonuses you can activate at the start of a battle, (strength +, speed +, etc.) and if you do any of the restrictions the Judge will just negate your bonus. The game is massive though; it follows its own calendar of events, and to finish a quest chain you must follow it through several months. Usually you'll go through several "years" just to gain enough levels to finish one chain.
>>
>>376006840
Going by your descriptions I'd say FFT is way more fun than FFT
>>
>>376004291
>Is it fine to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance before playing the original?
Yeah. That's what I did. I played FFTA when it came out, and then went and played FFT later. I would actually recommend doing it that way, since FFTA is a much friendlier, easier game than FFT, and might not be as enjoyable after you play FFT.

>Is the story for Advance contingent on knowledge of the first game's story? Or does it just drop references to characters in the previous games
They're completely and utterly unrelated past the surface level - that is, the title, the genre, and, to some extent, the aesthetic.

>Why are these game so good?
They're good for different reasons. FFTA has a neat, comfortable setting (very similar to FF12's, if you know it) with plenty of content to sink your teeth into. Some systems are a little questionable, though. It's definitely the weaker of the two, IMO, but still a good game.

FFT has a more interesting, memorable story story, with much better characters, and a more complicated setting. The game is fairly hard, which is nice for a SRPG, and it doesn't hold your hand much More than other games, I felt like succeeding in FFT was its own reward, since I really had to work for it.
>>
>>376006765
>>376007003
>>376007594
>>376009092
>>376009634
thanks fwens :))
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.