[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What changes could Sega have made to the Dreamcast to make it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: dreamcast_12.jpg (165KB, 1700x1000px)
dreamcast_12.jpg
165KB, 1700x1000px
What changes could Sega have made to the Dreamcast to make it more successful? Or was it just fucked no matter what it was?
>>
>>375981549
It was fucked.
Sega was busy bleeding money because Saturn bombed outside Japan (for awful reasons -- the hardware issues weren't what killed the Saturn). Arcade market was drying up, so that wasn't supplementing them enough.
The DC was a machine that sold decently and had games while it was on the market, but Sega was too busy fucking dying on the floor still.
PS2 release shifted focus (and thus income) away from the DC, and that was enough for Sega to be forced to bow out.

piracy wasn't a big deal during the machine's lifespan (in large part due to the low availability of pirated games -- broadband wasn't super-common, copying GD-ROMs was really hard, you basically needed high speed internet and a (still slightly expensive) CD burner or a local chinatown with burned games for sale), but it did hurt to a degree
>>
>>375981549
it was relatively successful and they wouldn't have anticipated DVD drives mattering as much as they did, two years prior before the PS2 even launched.

I don't really understand how the dreamcast knocked them out of making hardware since it sold like hotcakes up til the PS2. Seems like they were just looking for an excuse to get out of the hardware race desu.

the original Xbox had development help from Sega so in reality, the Xbox line is the true continuation of the Sega hardware line. Button placement, controller shape, online functionality, two accessory slots on the controllers - the Xbox was quite literally the Dreamcast 2.

Japs are horseshit fucked retarded for not liking the Xbox, especially when there were so many great and unique jap games for it.

consumers are horrible people.
>>
>>375981549
Sega fucked the retailers by releasing the Saturn without telling anyone when the retailers begged Sega to support the 32X which had came like 7 months before.

in turn the retailers outright refused to stock Sega products, you couldn't buy a DC even if you wanted one
>>
>terrible controller with only 1 analog stick and not enough buttons
>graphics that were outdated the day PS2 arrived and a joke the day xbox and GC arrived
>discs that weren't big enough to hold PS2 and xbox games (also a problem for GC)

Yea it was fucked. I remember when it came out and it was essentially competing against years-old PS1 and N64. The graphics were amazing. And there was a rush of great games the first 2 years this thing was out. But then the Ps2 came out and the awkward mid-generation release stopped being cool and started being a problem. They also lost EA as a publisher which meant no madden, fifa, need for speed etc and that was a huge problem. They managed to develop some pretty amazing sports games anyway but sales probably were negatively impacted

This console should be remembered for its games but that's it. if they ported all of its games to another console there would be no reason to ever use this again
>>
File: 1472807242051.jpg (11KB, 210x251px)
1472807242051.jpg
11KB, 210x251px
>>375982580
this is immensely untrue and retarded.
>>
>>375981994
>pirating in the 56k days

I can only imagine
>>
>>375982580
Are you retarded? I was obsessed with electronics as a kid and every best buy catalog had them advertised in every Sunday paper. I eventually got the black sports bundle console for my birthday from toys r us.
>>
>>375982074
>Seems like they were just looking for an excuse to get out of the hardware race desu.
dude, they were in serious financial trouble. It's not like the Saturn was exactly successful outside of Japan.
>>
>>375982626
>outdated the day PS2 arrived
yeah, nah
it took fucking years before PS2 games started actually looking better on average (that being said, nothing on the DC comes close to looking as nice as Final Fantasy 10, which was really early)

>This console should be remembered for its games but that's it. if they ported all of its games to another console there would be no reason to ever use this again
that's an issue it actually has right now
it's hard to recommend getting a DC these days simply because so much of its best shit is playable elsewhere, unless you're a fan of 98-2000 multiplats (where the DC version is generally the best, with your other options tending to be a PC version you can't run on a modern machine, a hideously cut-back PS1 version, and an N64 version that looks the same but with worse textures and a third of the framerate)
>>
>>375981549
Some of my all-time favorite games were on that system. Unfortunately the total failure of the Saturn doomed the DC before it launched. Really didn't have enough room to stretch it's legs before PS2 out shined it.
>>
File: hueg-liek-xbox.jpg (17KB, 340x450px)
hueg-liek-xbox.jpg
17KB, 340x450px
>>375982074
>Japs are horseshit fucked retarded for not liking the Xbox, especially when there were so many great and unique jap games for it.
the Xbox should have had a different name and should have been promoted by a shell company with a nip sounding name to look more Japanese and appeal to that market
also, it shouldn't have been so fucking big and heavy, nips hate that shit, at least the PS2 was designed around being stood upright so it didn't take up much space at all (and it's like a third of the weight)

redesigning the controller was a step in the right direction, but it was one fucking step and no more, the machine itself wasn't appealing to them one bit, it's a very American machine
>>
>>375983257
Is there a decent Dreamcast emulator for PC? This thread made me want to play shenmue.
>>
>>375983941
The og Xbox was a fucking tank. That fucker dropped on my foot from 2 feet off my entertainment stand and fractured my foot when I was 14
>>
>>375983257
alright I'll give you 1 year of Ps2 looking comparable. cuz in 2001, gran turismo 3, metal gear solid 2, FFX as you mentioned, twisted metal black, and a couple other games came out that slaughtered anything the DC could push

>>375983951

i tried demul recently and it ran metropolis street racer perfectly
>>
>>375984170
Fuck yes. Thanks bud. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.
>>
>>375984284
also, if you have an absolute fucking toaster too slow for demul, nulldc is another option (used to play ikaruga on a laptop from 2004 or so with intel video)
>>
>>375984284
np. i remember it having a weird setup with the bios stuff so be patient
>>
>>375983941
I wonder how Xbox would fare if Dreamcast lasted all through 6th gen. A lot of Xbox exclusives were suppose to be on Dreamcast. Even shit like fable was planned for the Dreamcast.
>>
>>375985037
it would likely not exist and MS would have promoted WindowsCE for DC development heavily during the time period

alternatively, MS would have entered the market themselves the generation after
or Sega's next machine would be designed more closely with MS, apparently Sega had a really good working relationship with them at the time
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.