[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which model is superior? The big front loader with full backwards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: PS2-Versions.jpg (2MB, 2800x2480px) Image search: [Google]
PS2-Versions.jpg
2MB, 2800x2480px
Which model is superior? The big front loader with full backwards compatibility but higher failure rate, or the little top loader that is generally more stable but lacks full backwards compatibility?
>>
>>375974446

First gen PS3 FAT that plays everything.
>>
I like top loaders a lot more, personally.
What backwards compatibility stuff didn't work on the tiny PS2?
>>
>>375974596
And also catches fire. Which is a damn fucking shame, honestly.
>>
>>375974596

Shame about the failure rate. I hope I find an unopened one some day.
>>
>>375974446

Fat PS2. Softmodded the one I've had for over a decade and it has plenty of games on an internal HDD.
>>
>>375974968
Failure rate?
least mines still kicking.
>>
>>375975101

How is the performance playing games from the HDD? I remember trying USBoot back in the day which was awful, but never had a modem.
>>
>>375975382
better than disc.

The usb ports on the ps2 are old version(from the 90's) so no wonder playing games off that was slow.
>>
>>375974446
i like the slim, 'cause it's so tiny, but i use a fat model so i can just load games off a drive. used to use a modded slim, but it started to have laser issues.
>>
Are there any restrictions to the drives you can use with a softmodded PS2? If I put an IDE adapter on an SSD could I run games from that?
>>
>>375976539
uh yah

make sure it uh fits in the bay
>>
>>375974446
the slim is nice except you can't install a HDD to run games off of (for a lot of them, at least -- early Slims still have the circuitry on board so you can add a hard-drive port to them)
I've got a fat that needs the disc drive fixed (screeches horribly when it tries to read CD-based games) and I kind of don't want to spend time fucking around with it. It's also kind of loud in general.

I've also got a slim and a big 'ol stack of DVDs (with a swap lid for booting PS1 games while not dealing with the inconvenience of blocked ports, came with my copy of Swap Magic, which is how I installed FreeMCBoot, use it to also boot the handful of PS2 games you can't convert to DVD or don't work when ESR patched)

>>375974607
there's a handful of PS1 games with issues, there's a list somewhere

>>375975382
USB is awful just because USB1 transfer rate, which you can't do anything about.

>>375976539
should work
>>
>>375975382

I initially tried usb but the speeds were so atrocious some games were unplayable. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but internal HDD seems just as good as disc, possibly a bit faster.
>>
>>375976797

Nice, i have a spare 256gb mSATA SSD. Trick now is finding a good condition PS2. Downside of there being so many is most are from your average dog owning cheeto muncher household.
>>
>>375974446

Fat obviously. It actually has personality.

The blue represents Earth ad the black is outer space.
>>
>>375974446
What?I've never had my slim not play a ps1 game i wanted it to.
>>
>>375978060
It's just very very few games that don't work properly, most a lot of people won't play anyways.
>>
Idk dude, the NASA-grade futuristic quantum computer with a goddamn degraded blue stand OR a tiny cheap plastic toy. Fucking think for once.
>>
>>375978060

My bad, guess I didn't want it to play the game enough.
>>
>>375974446
Good system if not for the fucking dreaded DISC READ ERROR bullshit. I don't know if the slim models ever suffered from this.
>>
>>375974446
Fat. My launch ps2 still works to this day. Meanwhile I have two slims that shit themselves already
>>
>>375979169
If I was looking to get a ps2 would you say get a fat then? (No interest in modding as I've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread)
>>
Best way to make one region free?
>>
>>375981554
If you want to play PS1 games the slim has significantly faster loading times with them otherwise it really doesn't matter. My launch PS2 died after a few years meanwhile my slim has been perfectly fine.
>>
Fat PS2 with a good hard drive is the only answer. Every game I've tried runs perfectly, though games that are dependent on the GPU like Odin's Sphere still lag. Vice City which depends on the read rate runs at super speed.
>>
I have a lost my DVD for swap magic but I have the CD version. Is there anyway I can hack it?
>>
>>375974446
>but lacks full backwards compatibility?

What games couldn't you play?
>>
>>375974596
Mine is going strong but I've never cleaned the inside or changed the thermal paste, its time.
>>
>>375974446

>making an entire thread about outdated piss poor filipino gaming hardware nobody gives a fuck about

the autism here is real
>>
i still have a first gen ps2 and still runs fine

most gamers break disks and systems cause you are too rough with shit

you jackasses need cartridges so shit wont break kek
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.