[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the PS4 was the only one to make it out of eighth gen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Slim.jpg (24KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Slim.jpg
24KB, 590x350px
How come the PS4 was the only one to make it out of eighth gen? Both Microsoft and Nintendo are jumping ship to ninth gen, yet Sony made it out rather successfully. Why?
>>
Don't about Nintendo, but Microsoft is quite obvious why.

https://youtu.be/fgJqliVWSSg
>>
>>375934659
Nintendo may do something good for the market if they manage to release Switch Slim for 199 with many improvements including decent controllers for less than 60bucks in the bundle.
Also Nintendo will get JRPG attention in 2018 because 2017 is the last year of Vita officially.
>>
>>375935291
>2017 is the last year of Vita officially.

citation? You know Sony supports their devices for a decade right? Even if its a failure like the Vita, I can count on Sony to still make something up it unlike Nintendo who gave up on the Wii U in year 5.
>>
>>375935835
I'm saying 2017 is the last good year of big vita titles
There are like 100+ games to be released on vita this year though
>>
>>375935835
Not him but you can look at Japanese releases to see the writing on the wall. In the west they gave it a quiet discontinuation a year ago when they gave stores their last shipments of new Vitas and memory cards.
Sony hasn't done anything for it since Freedom Wars, PS4/Vita multiplats have had the PS4 be the lead platform for almost 2 years now so the Vita versions are really lacking and have big performance issues on top of sub native resolution, exclusives have almost completely dried up, previous exclusives have gotten PS4 enhanced ports with added content and some devs like Falcom are outright moving away from it even though they've had huge success on it.
Hardware sales numbers this year are under half of last years numbers when last years numbers were worse than the year before, and the Vita is routinely selling only about 5k a week. Before this year, it was pretty much 10k a week as the low number and even that was seen as very bad and hardly sustainable.
So I think Sony will continue selling Vita and mem cards probably well in to 2018, it's just that a lot of JP devs will likely move on to Switch or PS4. We're past 5 years now, and we're definitely on the tail end and things are starting to slow down.
>>
>>375936457
Vita is fine and already has a 2018 line up in japan. Even the 3ds is still getting games, switch weirdly killed nothing.
>>
>>375937150
>pull shit out of my ass, the post.
>>
>>375937751
Believe what you want, but if they end this year with Vita hardware sales being at right around 50% of even last year then that will be more damaging than anything. Seeing hardware sales drop off a cliff will hurt confidence in the console and will affect what future projects get the greenlight for it.
Where games go isn't entirely left up to devs. If it was then Vita would have gotten that Bioshock game and we would have gotten a Nier port right at launch
Weekly Vita sales this week:
Weekly Vita sales last year
Vita sales Year to Date:
Vita sales Last year to Date:
>>
>>375939095
You were right about vita hardware sales but dead wrong on everything else. Vita mutiplats have been doing very well. sao vs aw sold more on the vita this year and had longer legs. Even with the down graded visuals SAO;HR sold 230k on the vita and 280k on ps4. Really it's gust games that are failing on the vita, and that's because the games are unplayable and are buggy even on the ps4.

The vita already has games announce for 2018, so your claim that 2017 is the last year it will get games is silly. Even the 3ds has a lineup of third party games in Japan. The switch has not killed either system.
>>
>>375940413
I didn't say that all games would stop in 2017, but devs skipping on Vita versions will be more common, Vita versions having performance issues or being bad ports will be more common as they focus more on PS4 versions, and exclusives will become very rare. Come next year and that issue will be more compounded. It'll still get games, just the amount will slow down.
Even with the Vita versions of SAO games doing well, they're still going to be moving away from Vita.
>Do you see PS Vita as a relevant platform for Sword Art Online going forward? I know it’s still a popular platform in Japan, but how long do you see that momentum lasting?
>Futami: “That’s a difficult question! Of course, if there are a lot of users asking for it, we would like to have a PS Vita version. As you said, it’s still a popular platform in Japan and there are a lot of Sword Art Online fans across the world who want to play the games on PS Vita. I’m still considering PS Vita this year and next year, but after that, maybe we need to shift our focus to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam. Maybe I’ll need to focus mainly on those three platforms to create Sword Art Online games. Of course, this is still all just consideration.”
http://gematsu.com/2016/10/interview-sword-art-online-hollow-realization-producer-yosuke-futami-nycc-2016

Bamco was one of the biggest publishers supporting it and having them go will leave a huge impact. Falcom has already jumped ship, and from the looks of things I think Koei Tecmo will be next. If they pull out then who's left? That along with the hardware sales dropping like a rock this year is why I think it's on its way out before its planned 10 year life like Sony was expecting.
>>
>>375941618
>If they pull out then who's left?
Aquaplus, Aquire, Compile Heart, 5pb, spike chunsoft, Kadokawa, NIS, D3.

Also Tk and bamco still have games lined up for the vita. PS4/vita mutiplats will keep getting made as long as they sell above the profit line.
>>
>9th gen

what now, when did this happen?
>>
>>375942750
Scorpio and Switch. I know what you're thinking, portable Wii U equates to ninth gen technology? Apparently so.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.