[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it possible to implement dynamic lights in very version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.png (1MB, 1336x744px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1336x744px
Why is it possible to implement dynamic lights in very version of idtech including Quake 1 and Quake 2 so far but it's apparently too resource heavy for every other engine in 2017?

Why the fuck does anyone even bother using engines that aren't idtech when idtech is so obviously superior to modern engines?
>>
price support licensing you name it

Quake 3 engine used NURBS can you believe it?
>>
>>375914348
There used to be a time where almost anyone could get their hands on Quake 3 engine, though. Lots of games using idTech 3.

But yeah I honestly don't understand how other engines even justify their existence when older engines not only manage to do shit that engines today can't but also do it with less computational resources required for it.

UE4 nearly crashes your PC if it has to render more than a single dynamic light.
>>
>>375914501
Not to mention it applies this ugly blur affect to all shadows instead of shard crisp lines like in idtech.
>>
File: normies.png (353KB, 499x241px) Image search: [Google]
normies.png
353KB, 499x241px
>>375914223
It's gotta be that fast inverse sqrt.
>>
>>375915295
If it's a well-known method why is this shit not standard yet?
>>
>>375915512
If you care so much about lighting in games why aren't you a game developer yet
>>
I'm pretty sure that due to the GPL licensing, any project using the early Quake engines has to be released for free. So anyone that makes a game using those can't charge money for it.
>>
>>375915802
Because I hate coding.

Doesn't mean I can't question why out of millions of coders not one has managed to recapture the brilliance of idtech.
>>
>>375916045
Your example for this is that someone was able to make this lighting work at a good framerate in a game with 1996 graphics running on a 2010+ hardware PC

Maybe that has nothing to do with idtech
>>
>>375916221
What about FEAR?
>>
>>375914223
quality question. If you want a good lightmodel with bouncing light, subsurface scattering,.. your pc can't calculate it in realtime. This is why everyone pre-renders and bakes light into textures.

You could do it realtime with windwaker graphics /a simpler light model but almost everyone is shooting for realism.
>>
>>375916440
I don't know if many people were able to run that game well when it was released
>>
File: The Right Thing.png (186KB, 1325x745px) Image search: [Google]
The Right Thing.png
186KB, 1325x745px
>>375915990
GPL doesn't mean the game has to be free, only the source code for the engine. Hell, I don't think the source code even has to be publicly available, you just have to provide it if anyone asks for it. It's simply more effort than devs care to put in for something that won't get them more money. The Hacker Ethic is long dead in the games industry.
>>
>>375914949
>blurry legoblock shadows
I don't know why but shadow tech seemed to be getting worse every year for basically all of last gen
>>
File: 872Beeeeees.png (918B, 200x208px) Image search: [Google]
872Beeeeees.png
918B, 200x208px
>>375916569
They're not going to release a game that can't run well on average hardware
>>
>>375917402
>what is crysis in 2008
>>
>>375917402
Even if you released something like a UE4 game with all the bells and whistles for high-end hardware it'd still run worse than an idtech game with exactly the same graphics because it's way less sophisticated.
>>
>>375917470
I had a low-end PC and I ran Crysis fine. there are graphics settings other than all max
>>
>>375914223
every video game has dynamic lights dumbass
shoot a gun an see the area around you light up? thats a dynamic light
>>
>>375917562
Which is the point with f.e.a.r.

It may have launched with dynamic lighting but that game looks basic as fuck and most people probably didn't play it maxed out
>>
>>375914223
>>375914501
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4YaWE4GLjM
>>
>>375917743
>one light source
lol indeed
>>
>>375917743
>filmed on my professional workstation
>>
This thread is what happens when people who don't know shit about programming start talking about programming. Holy crap most of you faggots are stupid as all fuck.
>>
>>375914223
any modern engine can do this though
>>
>>375918073
Sure but they don't because the engines are so poorly made that they can't render anything with efficiency that idtech can.
>>
>>375918192
they render slower because the engines are doing way more things like every other graphical effect and animation in a modern game that wasnt happening in quake 1
>>
>>375914223

there is 0 dynamic light in that picture
>>
>>375914223
I would imagine since Quake was such a simple game, they are actually using a bunch of little tricks that if the game was massive, and not limited to only a couple maps would take a long time to implement. The tricks basically emulate dynamic lighting down to the tee, but are not in fact dynamic lighting. You can easily do these in small scenes in UE4, Unity, hell even game maker if you take the time
>>
File: 1431339621955.jpg (99KB, 561x581px) Image search: [Google]
1431339621955.jpg
99KB, 561x581px
>>375914223
because it's fucking Quake 1, not a modern game.
dynamic shadows are really fucking expensive. dynamic lights not so much with deferred render though iirc
>>
people haven't cared about dynamic lights since doom 3
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.