[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why shooters are such trash these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0090.jpg (32KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
32KB, 250x309px
Can someone explain to me why shooters are such trash these days?

I have no problem with the graphics, they're good enough. But, the hit detection is utter shit, the lag, the matchmaking... the most important elements are garbage in modern shooters.

Is it greed and laziness? I'm not trolling for 'get good n00b' replies which I'll expect to get. But, I've gamed enough with the old quakes and such to notice a huge difference in quality.
>>
Yeah, I remember how old quakes had great matchmaking broski.
Hop on irc and you can still find good matches on good servers in these casual ass games, shit is literally the same.
>>
>>375892723
the netcode in Q3A isn't very good by modern standards although you can make it better with configuring things like snaps, rate, and cl_maxpackets and the server browser is shit unless you use the team arena browser
QL has much better netcode though
>>
>>375892723
>why shooters are such trash these days?

they're either dlc simulators or cash shop trash
>>
>tfw you think qc is pretty mediocre to a shit experience
>"I can't tell if you have legitimate critique or you think it's shit because you just want it to be Q3A"

Every fucking time. I'm not even comparing the game to it but no one thinks you can have legitimate gripes with something new because you don't like change when that's not the case at all. I know this happened to people with nu-Doom too.
>>
>>375893538
So what don't you like about it?
>>
I might have take your guys word and go back to the "old school" shooters.

I picked up R6 Siege a year ago and LOVE the concept. But, holy shit you peek a corner move down the hall and die. Kill cam still shows you peaking the corner. It's like that with almost all modern shooters.

They're just bad. Like the companies are more interested in ascetics than quality.

Team Fortress 1 still around?
>>
>>375893584
Firstly, the performance of the game is shit. It's not Overwatch with the abilities but the hitboxes and abilities don't add anything positive in what they've let us test. I haven't done duel but don't feel a need to do so with the way the weapons handle. Netcode is poor and it's apparent they've built the horrible menus and game experience around microtransactions well before any type of game feel. It's hardly an effort put towards quake and more towards monetization. I'm not going to play QL but I'm not going to play this either and I can't even give the keys away to friends with what they know and have seen of the game.
>>
>>375894131
Pretty much everyone agrees about those.
>I'm not going to play QL
faggot
>>
I believe the problem has to do with the fact that modern AAA games are trying to achieve different goals than games back in the day.

Modern day games are trying to be more cinematic/epic then consider gameplay secondary or as an after thought. Seriously, look at any new game's trailer and how much of it is of actual gameplay?

Older games' main focus was fun and graphics (atleast when we reached 3D.) People were amazed with Quake's real time lighting, and we know iD software all cared about fun first
>>
Quake is traah
>>
>>375894131
I agree with the performance, we should be able to dumb it the fuck down like Q3.
Abilities seem fine because they aren't retarded instant win buttons, but we will have to see in duels. DM and TDM are for the braindead.
It's a beta test with random shit servers against retarded wifi faggots, I'm going to wait a bit before shitting all over the netcode.
So what exactly do you mean you don't like the way the weapons handle?
>>
>>375894291
That's a good point. I think they're more worried about micro transactions than any quality of content.

You're right iD was about having fun, Ubisoft, Activision, EA, etc... they're all about quick profits.

They know that while the older players won't buy their shit anymore, the 15 year olds will eat it up because they don't know any better.
>>
>>375894691
Did you just reply to yourself? Sure fucking seems like it.
>>
>>375894772
Wut?
>>
File: Untitled.png (20KB, 578x278px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20KB, 578x278px
>>375894691
I have no problems with micro transactions as long as they have no effect on the gameplay. If anything I encourage cosmetic microtransactions simply because people enjoy them and who doesn't like to customize their characters?

>>375894772
nope
>>
>>375895028
>>375895029
I have never in my life seen anyone write it "iD" let alone two retards in the same thread.
>>
>>375895226
how autistic are you?
>>
>>375895029
That's ok... I don't mind the cosmetic either.

But the game changing element is already in place. Just look at Call of Shit.

It's because of those fucking phone apps. Retarded normies spending $10,000 on upstaging their retarded ass villages in Clash of Faggots doesn't go unnoticed by big gaming companies.
>>
>>375894623
The delay on the guns which seems intentional, most notably on the rocket. The nailgun projectiles are really slow and it's hard to hit the smaller players. Combination of hitboxes, performance, guns, and in general feeling like it's 200+ ping when I'm displaying 50 overall make it a pretty lackluster time. I get it's just a beta but this is still in an incredibly rough state and I'm not hopeful on how much they really plan on changing. The art and sound are really shit and those seem like they've had almost all their passes visually.

The other issue I have is there isn't a lot of great feedback for when you're getting hit. That's the only apt comparison I can make to Overwatch. Your numbers just kinda melt in the corner while you go about your business.
>>
>>375895490
>>The other issue I have is there isn't a lot of great feedback for when you're getting hit.
Don't tell me you never figured out how to disable hit shake in Q3.
>>
>>375892723
It's largely technical limitations, nostalgia and confirmation bias that everyone's a good player.
>>
>>375895858
How can there be technical limitations when older games didn't suffer from these problems?
>>
>>375892723
Yeah but you're older now. Obviously you're not as good at shooters anymore so you say they're badly designed to hide your declining skills.
>>
>>375895858
>confirmation bias that everyone's a good player

you clearly don't know what "confirmation bias" means

the fuck are you even trying to say
>>
>>375896184
Yeah you're right! It's just old man syndrome... not that new games are just utter shit.

I mean this guy is just imagining it all.

https://youtu.be/G1cI-Ru7_Oc
>>
>>375897153
You can cherry pick from any game.

You get that don't you? Try and keep up old timer.
>>
>>375897153
Do you have little to no understanding of input lag due to bad internet connections? Seriously?
>>
>>375897153
launch quake 3 right now without messing with any of the settings and there will be a 1 second delay with every hitscan weapons that makes using railgun and shotgun nearly impossible
>>
>>375892723
HOW CAN I GET GOOD AT QUAKE
PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>375897564
play a lot
play defrag to learn how to go fast
>>
>>375897258
Nice try... they all suffer from bad hit detection and general mechanics. You can deny it all day long and continue to troll for triggers... but we all know it's real.

I was just simply asking why games went to shit. Some here say the technology can't handle it... funny the older technology could so why not the new. And. I'm saying gaming companies today don't give a fuck about your gaming experience. They want to sell you DLCs and micro transactions... and if you're young enough not to know any better you'll give them your money.

You get points for trolling though, you almost had me there for a second.
>>
>>375897387
Do you?

Input lag results from your console/PC sending date to your monitor or tv that has to process the images. What does that have to do with sending data packets over the web?
>>
>>375897564
>>375897612

as someone who started quake live in 2008 and was a sponsored duel player by mid 2009,

practice, practice, practice, find people better than you, learn from them, use irc, play pickups, study, practice.

it will take at least a couple thousand hours to put together a good duel game on campgrounds, aerowalk, blood run, etc...

i'd estimate ~700 hours per map to figure out sound prediction and spawn manipulation.
>>
>>375897426
I'm not saying the original shooter were perfect. They had their problems. Anyone who tried doing a LAN with Half Life can attest to that.

My point is that the problems of today's shooters are 10x worse... and they shouldn't be. You pointed out manipulating the configs of Quake. At least you COULD do something to fix the problems.
>>
>>375894291
>Modern day games are trying to be more cinematic/epic then consider gameplay secondary or as an after thought. Seriously, look at any new game's trailer and how much of it is of actual gameplay?
THIS.Also, that's consoles fault, devs knew that fast-paced shooters won't work with gamepads, so they tried to make the games attractive by making them more (((cinematic)))
>>
>>375894260

TENBUX 2MUCH
>>
>>375895226
>>375895393
>>
>>375897893
Is QL a good enough place to get into the game?
>>
>>375892723
Do you know that most FPS back then was designed for LAN play in mind ? LAN parties existed for that reason and that reason why dev optimized heavily for low latency skilled shooters.

With online only, dev only optimizes for online but as far as optimizations go there is nothing you can do at the ISPs side on optimization, not to mention distance and unsynchronized player ping/internet speed.

As long the market is online first, you will not have the so called glory days of super duper low ms pings fps.
>>
>>375898683

from 2008-2010, maybe 2011, i would say yes.

once it got completely cancerified (loadouts, premium servers, exclusive maps for monthly subscription kiddies, etc.) I stopped playing, so I can't say what kind of state it's in now.
>>
File: 1490328237760.png (179KB, 432x504px) Image search: [Google]
1490328237760.png
179KB, 432x504px
Will we ever get another Fast Inverse Square Root?
>>
>>375898683
There's still a good amount of newbies in QL so yes. If you end up getting it, go to /arena/ and I'd be down to duel you as a fellow scrub.
>>
>>375898851
This game was f2p on the browser right? Is it steam only now? I do have a copy that I might have bought on a sale. How do I get into /arena/
>>
>>375898759
None of those exist anymore it's in a pretty good state now and community driven.
>>
>>375898934
/arena/ is a new /vg/ thread
if you played when it was free before your account expired you got the steam version for free
it's midnight for me but i'd be down to duel tomorrow
>>
>>375899038
it's almost 4am here, get out normie scrub
>>
>>375892723
It's probably related to >>375898734 where games were optimized for fast network capability, but nowadays we have something called matchmaking which is just first party official servers, and developers need hunderds of those for each region, each console, and so on. They can't afford to use 420k tickrate on everything, and decide on 30 tick or some shit because it's transparent for the average joe.
>>
File: 1489305611390m.jpg (71KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1489305611390m.jpg
71KB, 1024x576px
>>375899104
What did you play today
>>
>>375899262
These are valid explanations. I can deal with that.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.