[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game does a good job of teaching you to disregard the safety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 17

File: header566688.jpg (30KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header566688.jpg
30KB, 460x215px
This game does a good job of teaching you to disregard the safety and lives of your agents.
>>
>tfw we will never get a proper X-COM/JA2/Silent Storm successor
>every TBS game coming out will continue using gimped mechanics
>>
>>375887687
>proper X-COM/JA2/Silent Storm successor

Isn't that what Phoenix Point is trying to be?
>>
>>375887687
>what is Phoenix Point
>>
>>375887848
>>375887937
It doesn't have time units so it will have gimped mechanics in some way. I don't know exactly what it uses but it's not exactly the nu-XCOM system either. I've heard mixed things about having free aim or not too.
>>
>>375887687

How was Xenonauts?
>>
>>375888021
Very barebones and the gameplay I saw from 2 so far has the retarded cover system from nu-XCOM.
>>
>>375887998
Thought they said TUs would be a thing in the game.
>>
>>375887998
>It doesn't have time units so it will have gimped mechanics in some way.
>not having outdated video game mechanics means the game is bad
dude I love X-Com but Time Units don't work really well in modern strategy games
>>
>>375888812
>Will the game use time units or have a 2-action system?
>Our tactical system is currently using something of a hybrid. Generally a character has potentially two actions per turn - movement and use of equipment. However, if an enemy is spotted while moving then the movement is halted and the player can react, either by moving or firing. This could happen multiple times per character movement. Additionally, Will Points are a very important factor. These can be used to extend movement, firing or add other actions to a soldier’s turn, depending on the abilities of the character or equipment in use.

Another thing it will have that I hate is the class system rather than just training soldiers' skills by doing things and being able to give them whatever weapons you want to.

>>375888959
Explain. Having a two unit system extremely lowers the amount of possible actions you can do per turn. Can't have different firing modes, can't do things like move-shoot-move, can't have advanced weapon usage like priming grenades separate from throwing them, among other things. Time units work and the fact that no game will use them anymore, while at the same time suffering the above (though their audience doesn't care) baffles me.
>>
>>375889263
you could still do all those things in a 2 action system, it's just that most devs don't do it because players these days would complain that priming and throwing were separate actions, they'd even complain about this if it were time units
>>
>>375890197
>prime grenade: 1 action point
>throw grenade: 1 action point
>single shot: 1 action point
>burst shot: 1 action point
>full auto shot: 1 action point
>snap shot: 1 action point
>aimed shot: 1 action point
>crouch: 1 action point
>prone: 1 action point
>turning: 1 action point
I mean you could implement them but only being able to do two actions per turn just makes it feel completely retarded. And if you could do some of this stuff for free it would just feel cheap.

>>375888959 said the system is outdated and I'd like him to expand on that. If you go by "modern" games like Thief 4 then leaning and jumping are outdated mechanics.
>>
File: TFTD.webm (461KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TFTD.webm
461KB, 1280x1024px
>>
>>375890618
none of those cost 1 time Units though, the priming itself is like 40 Time Units
>>
Having to use up turn units to turn your guys or make them crouch is pretty lame at the very least.
>>
File: 1484263015480.jpg (13KB, 466x447px) Image search: [Google]
1484263015480.jpg
13KB, 466x447px
>>375890670
>Guido King
>>
>>375890768

actually, ufo defense and TFTD had 2 different types of actions, %based and flat Tu based

for example facing a different direction was 1 per degree, moving/crouching was 4 tu , shooting, priming, throwing was a % of your total Tu's , so you couldn't do things like more than 1 aimed shot per turn (the % was depending on the weapon)
>>
>>375890768
They would though if you tried implementing them into a system that only uses two action points, which is my point. All of them would have to either cost 1 or 2 action points while if you use time units they can cost a variety of amounts that allows you to mix and match them on a per turn basis.

>>375890890
Why? They're actions that take up time. It forces you to be smart about what you do with your soldiers. Some games have things that are free, like X-COM Apocalypse and Silent Storm let you access your inventory with no cost, and in Apocalypse you can drop stuff for free so there is wiggle room. My point however is the above, that only allowing two actions per turn requires you to drop some mechanics because there's no way to differentiate between them because everything can only cost 1 or 2 action points.
>>
How about a system where moving and attacking have a different set of Time Units? you had a specific bar for moving and when you used that up, you could attack with the other bar
>>
>you struggle and try to complete runs with zero casualties
>faced with the slow realization that this war is a meatgrinder and sacrifices have to be made
>you understand the burden of being a commander

I love that aspect of these games.
>>
>>375891428
Someone could experiment with that, but I still fail to see why anyone is trying to force a new base mechanics when nobody has explained to me what's so bad/outdated about time units. As far as I can tell it's change for the sake of change rather than there being any particular benefit to doing so.
>>
File: 0033.jpg (62KB, 311x460px) Image search: [Google]
0033.jpg
62KB, 311x460px
>>375891549
>leave a few guys in the Skyranger to garner promotions while doing absolutely nothing
>>
>>375891428

There is already a system like that, its called Time Units, thats exactly what they do.

see >>375891037
>>
>>375891578
because wandering until you finally find an alien but you don't have enough Time Units to shoot at it and then all of your units die the next turn really fucking sucks
>>
>>375891862
Recklessly moving with a 2 action system would have that same issue. You could do like in JA2 and SS where if you're not in combat the game goes to real time until you find them.
>>
>>375891958
Not really, considering you can still shoot after you move
>>
File: 1383305839039.jpg (37KB, 524x468px) Image search: [Google]
1383305839039.jpg
37KB, 524x468px
>>375887498
You can't make steak without breaking a few... hmmm.
>>
>>375892113
Not if you're running, which uses both action points. You could actually pay attention to your time unit usage and make sure to have enough. X-COM (and I think JA2 too) have options to not let you use more time units than will allow you to shoot. And you can customize it depending on what kind of shot you want to do.
>>
>>375892315
There's a skill that let's you shoot after you run
>>
>>375891862

you move recklessly without any though on what you are doing and expect not to be fucked up, its not the systems fault you are just bad, the whole point of tu/actions is to represent what you can do in the timespan of a turn since the game is not realtime, don't blame the game if you just want to run&gun like a retard
>>
>>375892390
You're the one that brought this whole thing up. Your skill would work but the situation you brought up is very easy to avoid and you can even tell the game to make it impossible to end up in that situation. So then we're back to where we were before and with, in my opinion, there still being no reason to drop time units.
>>
>>375892440

Also don't forget that it's a team-based game. So if you don't have multiple people with good spacing supporting each other you're going to have a bad time.
>>
>>375892440
what am I supposed to do? I can't just wait for the aliens to come to me, especially on crash landing missions where all they do is wander around the ship until either I move or a random explosion kills my whole team
>>
>>375892629
>what am I supposed to do?
Either make sure you keep an eye on your time units or use the multiple functions that will make it impossible to move and not be able to shoot.
>>
>>375892629
Even during crash landing missions there's still a few wandering about. Its gets annoying when the last few just hang out inside the saucer. The first time I played the game I didn't realize you could actually enter saucers and had no clue how to deal with aliens hiding out.
>>
>>375892629

You're supposed to develop a coherent strategy/tactics. You can painstakingly plan out your moves or just say fuck it and send out rookies as meat targets.
>>
File: 2015-10-15_00002.jpg (365KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-15_00002.jpg
365KB, 1920x1080px
>>375888021
Not too bad actually. The game is SOLID. The only thing I dislike about it is its cold war 80s style, and the cartoony art style.

It's sort of an inbetween of classic X-com and Nu-Xcom, in that at later stages of the game you can still very easily lose veteran members, but its not like they're dying every two seconds (if you play properly).

Its everything a modern X-Com should be. It should get a lot more coverage around here actually. I got 50 hours on it. Might go back.

Weapon upgrades are cool, you eventually get mega lazorz plasma research you can do and shiet.

You can capture aliens alive or dead etc. Pretty much X-Com.

It's definitely better than nu-Xcom
>>
File: 2015-10-15_00001.jpg (406KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-15_00001.jpg
406KB, 1920x1080px
>>375888160
It's pretty good now desu. Solid and bug-free. Many times I had the shit scared out of me while being flanked. Many alien types.

Those fuckers that teleport around are scary as hell.

Lots of good map types, weapons, base building, alien types etc.
>>
>>375892629
learn to love smoke bombs.
>>
File: 2015-10-13_00004.jpg (488KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-13_00004.jpg
488KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>375893089

>not naming him Jaquavious Dinduffin of Watermelonia
>>
File: 1490064419393.png (125KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
1490064419393.png
125KB, 367x321px
>>375893386
>>
>>375893174
Honestly I like Apocalypse more and Xenonauts has very little difference from the original game plus has a fucking eye-destroying artstyle so while I've played a little bit of it hasn't given me too much reason to extensively play it.

What I've seen of Xenonauts 2 is much more aesthetically pleasing so I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
>>
File: 651651651561.jpg (200KB, 764x512px) Image search: [Google]
651651651561.jpg
200KB, 764x512px
>>375893595
There's xenonauts 2? Better aesthetics?????

HOREY SHET
>>
>>375892629

dude, seriously, just play and learn from your mistakes, its not that hard.

just this time i will spoonfeed you

- Use smoke grenades (they are actually smoke, they block vision depending on the thickness of the smoke for both you and the ayys)

-use the mutual surprise rule (if you spot an ayy at the same time he spots you he doesn't reaction fire)

-use units to scout and then use other units as snipers, firing from outside the ayys FOV to avoid reactions and so you won't have to fire with your scouts and you can move them back (don't use all their time units in 1 sprint)

-Use explosives, lots of them, if there is a building blow it up (entering to scout it is an unnecessary danger that will often get you killed)

-use proximity grenades

-you can use the motion sensor to scout buildings/ufos aswell

-you can either camp the outside of ufos if you are not confident you can breach (either reaction camp or you can just proximity grenades and wait until turn20 when the ayys forcefully go out and get blown up)

-learn the layout of the ufos to breach easier (use autofire when you are close)

-rush researching weapons

-always have atleast 2 people as backup when you move somebody (3 if possible, otherwise don't advance)

-learn to use conga lines to throw explosives

that should be the basics
>>
>>375893754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQeK77DoKv0
It's slightly less cartoony, has shadows, and the soldier portraits (though there's only one in this video) don't look as awful. It does have nu-XCOM cover mechanics though which is kind of worrying. This is still pretty early I imagine though. No idea when it'll come out.
>>
File: 1488614089101.jpg (85KB, 540x568px) Image search: [Google]
1488614089101.jpg
85KB, 540x568px
>>375893914
>>
>>375893914

Looks terrible, like they literally took the worst parts of nu-xcom and mixed them to the originals
>>
Is it a good sign or bad that I haven't dealt with much alien activity for most of a month? Infiltrated an alien base, then a landing site. Destroyed two ufos by accident, and since then I haven't seen any flying around. Which is good I guess since I'm trying to expand my bases, but I'm worried a clusterfuck is coming up.
>>
>>375894319
Well there's still projectiles. And I think the cover icons are only there to show you that you can hide behind stuff, and cover isn't pure numbers like it is in nu-XCOM. Though the way that map is laid out makes it look as bad with chest high walls as cover based TPS games. Looks really blocky too. I don't think much mechanically will be changed for 2 so if you liked 1 you should like 2 too.
>>
"we want to make a successor to x-com"
>lets you only use like 6 rookies

hhhhhh
>>
>>375894619
Their Fig page says you can bring up to 16 people on a mission but it depends on your transport and such.
>>
File: community_image_1363642391.gif (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1363642391.gif
25KB, 640x480px
>>375894476

Thats probably the problem, i see no reason to play them over the originals, it just feels like a worse version of them in every way (even in graphics for my preference)

i mean, nu-xcom was an ok game, also inferior to the originals but at least it was different enough to be worth playing at least once, xenonauts just feels like a shoddy copy of X-com with less things
>>
>>375894725
24 or bust

I require an avenger of rookies
>>
>>375894821
>not 36 like in Apocalypse
>>
>>375894821

or dedicated scout slots for dogs/scout tanks like in FMP
>>
>>375892696
>Either make sure you keep an eye on your time units or use the multiple functions that will make it impossible to move and not be able to shoot.

Why not use what Shock Tactics did?

Have the 2 moves shit of Nu-Com to represent what actions you can do, while still begin able to shot in that same turn twice depending on your moves.
>>
File: oh boy tentaculats.png (233KB, 477x358px) Image search: [Google]
oh boy tentaculats.png
233KB, 477x358px
>>375895179
speaking of tanks, I really hope that, if phoenix point DOES have large vehicles, they don't go down in 1 hit to the rear left corner like every tank in ufo defense or some similar bullshit
>>
>>375895348
Vehicles are a stretch goal.

>>375895345
see
>>375891578
>>
File: X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png (149KB, 256x294px) Image search: [Google]
X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png
149KB, 256x294px
Does this shit on the front cover actually show up in the game?
>>
>>375895414
>what's so bad/outdated about time units

Not really that they are bad, but sometimes when hunting down the last fucking alien or enemy in turn base, you start rushing up your dudes to cover the most terrain possible, thus ending up in a fuck up of a situation when you run out of TUs.

Yes you can select the option to stop when you run out of TUs and reserve them for a shot, but still people are retarded and dont do that, people see numbers and think
>welp time to wipe out the calculator and do basic math of how much i am going to spend on TUs to throw a nade, cut the corner of 3 square blocks and crouch.

I did when i was a kid, i had a notebook filled to the brim of my calculations of TUs used up per action of soldiers.

By the end of the summer i had with UFO i fucking exceded at math, but people dont want that, people want

>so if i run up to the very edge of this blue square, i can throw a nade, shot at the bad guy or do a reaction fire on the guy who passes infront of me.
>>
>>375895710

open xcom literally adds colored arrows that show if you can shoot after a move, there is not even a need to use the time reserve button with that unless you are retarded.

on that topic, that is the reason why they used the 2 action system in nu-xcom. Consoles (or in other words casuals)
>>
>>375887687
Silent Storm is just brutally slow for me. I was enjoying the game, but the fact that everything can be interrupted if you can some AP makes turns take a fucking decade.
>>
>>375895994
XCOM 2 didn't even come out on console until a few months later
>>
>>375895994
>open xcom literally adds colored arrows that show if you can shoot after a move, there is not even a need to use the time reserve button with that unless you are retarded.

I am talking about when the OG game came out, not OpenXcom, try to show the OG game to people and they will have the same reaction.

>that is the reason why they used the 2 action system in nu-xcom. Consoles (or in other words casuals)

I followed up all the dev cycle and interviews of Nu-xcom and what you said is not true at all, the dev really fucking loved xcom, he wanted to have the TUs, the game did for a while, but still people dont want to take into account numbers or anything like that.

He then came up with a lot of ideas of how to integrate TUs in a fun way, but he either made it too complex or too simple and ended up doing 2 moves thing while leaving the calculations behind the scenes of the stats of the soldiers.
>>
>>375896105
It was still 90% the same as Enemy Unknown which did.

>>375896068
Well this can happen in X-COM too (especially Apocalypse) but in those you don't get a choice of what happens. The AI chooses based on various things (in Apocalypse you can change the disposition of your soldiers and this will affect that). I personally like being able to exactly control what happens but I understand why people would just not want to deal with that.

>>375896250
Your whole argument stems from people not even wanting to learn to press a button to conserve time units and if they have such a hard time doing that then I think the game (and genre) isn't for them. Phoenix Point isn't a AAA game so it shouldn't have an issue not appealing to soccer moms like nu-XCOM apparently does.
>>
>>375895678
no, but mind control zombie-making brainsquids show up in TFTD

and they're worse than hitler
>>
>>375896382
>Your whole argument stems from people not even wanting to learn to press a button to conserve time units and if they have such a hard time doing that then I think the game

If every dev thinks that way, the genere would be dead, there needs to be a middle ground to a system to be accesible but at the same time have in-depth for more complex situations.

2 move could be onto something, but it needs refinement, like Shock Tactics did.

>Phoenix Point isn't a AAA game so it shouldn't have an issue not appealing to soccer moms like nu-XCOM apparently does.

Yet its using a combination of 2 turns and TUs.
>>
>>375887498

>tfw playing this game back in the day without internet and spoilers and whatever
>you will never get to experience chryssalids again for the first time
>you will never feel the same wave of terror as they bound out of the fog of war and eviscerate half your team
>>
>>375896569
>Yet its using a combination of 2 turns and TUs.
Code word is "shouldn't". I don't know why the fucking creator of X-COM is using nu-XCOM's system but it probably is a mix of appealing to a wide audience and pressure from that system being the one that's used now and the misguided thought that time units are outdated.

Attempting to appeal to everyone especially in a niche genre like TBS just makes sure that there will be no more games setting the bar. The bar was already set in the past and all TBS games are doing now is keeping a shambling corpse of a genre "alive" because they refuse to learn from the games that created the genre and instead want to reinvent the wheel for some retarded reason. This kind of thinking is affecting the entire video game industry and is responsible for the sheer amount of mediocre games coming out these days.
>>
File: bea kill me now.png (550KB, 1091x1672px) Image search: [Google]
bea kill me now.png
550KB, 1091x1672px
I wish if they weren't gonna be using a full TU system they'd use an AP system instead. That way you can shoot more than once per turn.

Say Rookies have 6 AP, you could gain 1 AP every 2-3 levels for your character. Snap shot takes 2 AP, aimed shot takes 3, priming a grenade takes 1 AP, throwing takes 2, movement spends 1 AP and gives you 20 move units, 1 per turn, 2 per unit moved, 4 for actions.
Just something more if you're not gonna go all in. 2 actions per turn feels like ass.
>>
>>375896569

The devs saying they didn't make the 2 move system because of consoles does not make it untrue at this point you can't just believe what they say specially when higher ups put goals for the projects to appeal to a wider public.

and most importantly, there is no middle ground accessible always means simpler and more casual, it literally means removing features so that people don't have to think and that is whats destroying every single game released lately.

as long as you keep trying to appeal to casuals you will keep making shit games thats about it.

if nu-xcom had been more like the originals it would have sold much better because the middle ground is a stupid idea that leaves everyone unsatisfied, the game is still too complex and frustrating for casuals and its too shit for people who played the originals
>>
>>375897070

That is literally TU with different numbers
>>
I never played an rts or xcom game before, and im fucking lost I have no idea what to do.
halp
>>
>>375897156
It's a simplified system that's not as in depth as TU's really are, while still being a bit better than 2 actions per turn.
>>
>>375887498
They don't even regard their own lives

Confronted with death at point blank range, your soldiers will opt to shoot 90 degrees to the side and hit their comrade square in the back of the head instead
>>
>>375897194
Buy ammo, soldiers, and scientists, start research, shoot down UFOs, and shoot aliens.
>>
>>375897194
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Starting_Your_Shadowy_Paramilitary_Organization
>>
>>375896906
Its hurt me anon, but games get more expensive to make and having TUs to appeal to a niche genre is suicide by now coming from a AAA studio, that is why you will never see TUs in it.

If the creator of xcom is using a hybrid is because he thinks he can do better than nu-xcom and maybe he can, not reinvent the wheel but improve it.

>>375897084
>if nu-xcom had been more like the originals it would have sold much better

I seriously doubt that, you are talking about a old era of videogames, we are in a different time now and i doubt that it would have fare way better than it did.
>>
>>375897194
Lesson 1
Pistols are completely useless, will always be useless, and are only good for selling for money

Lesson 2
Weapons > Armor

Lesson 3
Smoke Grenade the ramp turn 1, every time, wait 1 turn, then leave the ramp on turn 2

Lesson 4
If it moves, blow it the fuck up, high explosives are your friend.

Lesson 5
Brasil can go fuck itself get back on the Skyranger
>>
>>375897496
laser pistols are good
sending rookies into ufos with a laser pistol in one hand and a stun rod in the other is a good way to capture aliens
>>
>>375897450
Well Phoenix Point isn't a AAA game. I'm still going to see how it turns out but I'm not optimistic. And I know that devs insist on spending a shitload of money and require dumbing down their games but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
>>
>>375897585
Laser pistols are only able to hurt Sectoids and Snakemen. They'll tickle a Muton while he blows your face in.
>>
>>375897450

Thats why, it would have fared better because casuals didn't buy it anyways no matter how much it was simplified, it was still too complex and frustrating for them (even worse with the retarded reliance on RNG)

while on the other hand many older people and people with some actual taste in games would have probably bought it if it had been like the originals, hell they would have probably backed a 2 game if it meant it was good and could be improved
>>
>>375897621
>And I know that devs insist on spending a shitload of money and require dumbing down their games but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I dont like it either, but is the lesser evil when put into perspective of how fucked a reboot of XCOM could have been.

>I'm still going to see how it turns out but I'm not optimistic

Chaos Rebon was quite good, i say Gollop still has it in him, i dont expect a revolution from his game, but i trust he will deliver a fun game.
>>
>>375897694
that means you still get a lot of mileage out of them till mutons
you need to research them anyway to get to laser rifles
>>
>>375897738
>I dont like it either, but is the lesser evil when put into perspective of how fucked a reboot of XCOM could have been.
I'm sick of this reasoning that "it could have been worse". That doesn't make the games any better or make me have more fun. If a game doesn't meet my expectations, telling me it could have been another FPS doesn't help anything. The entire industry is like that now, where they shit out middling games that aren't the WORST thing in the world but still aren't fun for more than a couple hours and it's almost worse than getting shitheaps with the occasionally great game.
>>
>>375897775
I mean you have to sure, but ideally you want laser rifles researched before the first terror mission.
Laser pistols are still better than stock rifles at close range, but that's just because human ballistic weaponry is complete ass. I guess they're okay for using as an ad hoc machine gun too when your guys aren't gonna hit jack anyways, but really if you're using a pistol then something went wrong somewhere. Like your faggot panicked and dropped his gun or something.
>>
>>375893089
I'd love the 70s/80s aesthetic if it wasn't so crudely drawn. Seriously, it looks pike it was all drawn by somebody who usually does fetish porn commisions
>>
>>375897720
>would have fared better because casuals didn't buy it anyways no matter how much it was simplified

But they did tho, casuals bought it because it was "new" for them, some of them loved it so much they tried out the old games, some of them just went "meh" and didnt play it.

>while on the other hand many older people and people with some actual taste in games would have probably bought it if it had been like the originals

I was here and in other forums when EU first came out, a lot of older people bought it expecting something like the older games and got disappointed, other also went "meh" and other fucking hated it and destroyed it to shreds.

The game sold what it had to sold, the pre-release footage was almost non-existent, the first weeks sold the game and what came after was just new or old people giving it a try, then Long War came, then the expansion and then the whole memes of Long War.

>>375897921
Good point, it doesnt make the game any better or worse, but XCOM was like my childhood and for me at least, seeing what fucked up project it could have been and seeing what we got (and the indie projects that came with it, like Xenonauts) at least made me feel a bit better.

Still i like the new games for what they are and i hope PP delivers.
>>
>>375897585

voucjh this

early game, this works.
i do use rifles 99% of the time unless im trying to capture ayyys, though.
>>
File: screen600.png (12KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
screen600.png
12KB, 1280x800px
Never forget.
>>
>>375897496
I made an XCOM base in detroit after the US kept getting pissy, hellbent on making detroitcom the strongest ghetto force in the world, but then the US defected so my best korea base had to basically funnel supplies into detroitcom to keep them stocked with ammo because of how many ships there were

anyway, a large muton ship landed so I sent my skyranger full of rookies with nothing but pistols and ended up winning with over half my team alive

pistols are not to be fucked with
>>
>>375888959
how is resource management outdated?
Time units have been used in games as recent as divinity original sin.
>>
>>375889263
Never before has hype risen and died so quickly...

Can we go back in time and undo post Meier Firaxis? I'd just say Firaxis, but SMAC is the best Civ game ever.
>>
>>375892819
Which is why after about 20 turns their AI flips to "Suicidal Rush" mode.
>>
>>375894619
It seems like manpower will be a limiting factor... something like the UFO: After___ line of games.
>>
>>375894725
Oh, right...
I forgot they're on Schaffer's scamstarter ripoff...

Why would they think that's a good idea...
>>
>>375897084
So they tap danced around it, like Valve did with their whole, "Testers got lost in a literal round about because we only hire retards to do this." bit of their dev commentary.
>>
>>375897194
... Which one are you playing?
>>
>>375897694
Which is actually a way of training reactions later on...
A stunned/MC'd muton and a squad with las-pistols.
>>
File: 2795894-mordheim-17.jpg (1MB, 1904x1028px) Image search: [Google]
2795894-mordheim-17.jpg
1MB, 1904x1028px
>>375887687
>every TBS game coming out will continue using gimped mechanics
You should specifically state "every TBS game set in a modern setting that uses guns as primary weapons", because the sword&sorcery TBS games are only getting deeper mechanically.
>>
>>375887498
How exactly should I go about dealing with dying members in the Xcom remake? Is it viable to make it through the game without a single person dying, or am I expected to take the losses? I kinda got frustrated and stopped playing because of this.
>>
>>375902093
why did they make it so i have to individually move each unit. would it have been so hard just to have a birds eye view and click to move.
>>
>>375902331
Because they made it with consoles in mind, which is doubly retarded, since there are a plethora of console TBS games that use the classic isometric view. Same goes for the interface - it's console garbage. Still, despite these flaws, the game is a masterpiece, I've been playing 1-2 random skirmishes daily for almost a year now.

This was the first game this dev studio ever made, IIRC. They've tried doing something original and fucked up, but everything else is really fucking good. They're currently making a new game - Necromunda and when it releases, it's going to blow any XCOM, Silent Storm or JA2 game out of the fucking water if it retains the tactical depth of Mordheim.
>>
>>375902556
>They're currently making a new game - Necromunda
I swear to god if they pull the same shit... i wont buy this game.
>>
>>375902556
>first game is console trash by admission
>thinks the sequel will be better than the games that defined the genre
>>
>>375902710
>console trash
Not really. It suffers from consolization flaws, but the game is still great despite them.

>thinks the sequel will be better than the games that defined the genre
It's not a sequel, it's a different game in a WH40K setting (Mordheim is set in Warhammer Fantasy Battles setting), which means a much bigger focus on guns, so it's bound to play differently. However, since is pretty much unmatched as a Sword&Sorcery TBS game when it comes to gameplay mechanics depth, people are hyped about Necromunda being just as good, only in a different setting.

The only thing I really hope for is that the devs have learned their lesson and won't try to appeal to console shitters this time around, because the dogshit UI has turned a lot of people away from mordheim.
>>
>>375903027
What is so good about this game? I'm interested because you're right, the way the game plays doesn't make me want to play it. It's an interesting idea I guess though.
>>
>>375903296
>What is so good about this game?
Unit customization is the best in the genre, no other turn based squad tactics game/ TBS game compares. I'm not talking about pure cosmetics shit, because XCOM2 does it better, I think, I'm talking about actually meaningful customization: ability to assign stats, skills, spells, weapons and armor and other shit. Each unit has shitloads of viable builds you can come up with.

Pure gameplay mechanics. Again, no other game in the genre even comes close. Mordheim has everything you can imagine: proper armor and armor penetration mechanics, proper interrupt and interrupt avoidance mechanics, several alternative and independent means of defense (damage resistance, passive avoidance, active dodge and active parry), passive skills that change gameplay drastically, active skills that change gameplay drastically and so on and so forth. It has pretty much everything applicable to a fantasy TBS game.

Actually functional multiplayer. Compstomping and doing ridiculously hard story missions is fun, but playing against actual people who can use the aforementioned mechanics to their full potential is the cherry on the cake that makes the game a masterpiece, though a flawed one.
>>
>>375903632
Might play it at some point. Though not a fan of fantasy really. Hopefully their next game plays more similarly to the ones I mentioned while keeping the things you like about it.
>>
>>375902147
Its the biggest fault of the new ones.

It made the mooks way too important to lose. Along with only having 4-6 in a mission
>>
>>375902147
treat them as the expendable resource that they are. make them earn the power armor by surviving a mission.
>>
>>375907112
nm you said remake
>>
>>375893089
I really think the whole cold war thing would have been more interesting if they actually used it beyond aesthetic.

Having the Russians and Americans at each other's throats whilst trying to fight aliens would have been pretty neat.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.