[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, my dad has dementia, but he still wants to play video games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: Man-and-console-625451[1].jpg (44KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Man-and-console-625451[1].jpg
44KB, 590x350px
Hey, my dad has dementia, but he still wants to play video games. He has an Xbone and a decent PC, which he pretty much only plays Runescape and Skyrim on right now. He's a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, so he tried to play the most recent one but was completely unable to handle it.

Do you guys have any recommendations for games that would be straightforward enough that someone with dementia could reasonably be expected to play and enjoy them?
>>
I think quick puzzle-like games with rewards quick thinking could be could for him,
Think like tetris, professor layton and so on
If he doesnt like puzzle games try some plataformer lie kirby, eeer maybe trine?
>>
>>375882826
arcade games? emulate them.
>>
>>375883203
>try some plataformer lie kirby, eeer maybe trine?

Oh yeah, platformers would actually probably be great. He was a big fan of Super Mario 64 back when it came out, and the Ratchet and Clank series.

Thanks, anon, that's definitely a good starting point.
>>
File: EYE in a nutshell.png (157KB, 955x375px) Image search: [Google]
EYE in a nutshell.png
157KB, 955x375px
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
>>
>>375883438
maybe that yooka lele game could work for him. it sounded like a throwback to past era 3d-platformers
>>
>>375883548
He doesn't do very well with first person shooters without some VATS level assistance. Shooters with lock-on or auto-aiming weapons are good though.
>>
>>375883438

Buy an old N64 and SM64.
>>
>>375883438
>and the Ratchet and Clank series.
your dad sounds cool
>>
>>375884054
We still have the old one, actually. I set it up for him a couple months ago, but he's wanting to try something newer.
>>
It's just going to get worse and worse, dementia is fucked. I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>375883798
Yeah, if its anything like the cases of early onset Alzheimers like dementia in my family his fine motor control will probably be going bad alarmingly fast just like short term memory.

How does he feel about retro games?
They may not be the flashiest things around but if he was familiar with them before that may help.
Something like a classic turn based RPG that isn't story focused would probably work.
An arcade stick might also help with the larger buttons and stick.
>>
>>375884176
Yeah, he actually farmed all the money to buy the RYNO in the first game so that my brother and I could play with it.
>>
Godspeed anon, my dad also got affected by a type of dementia and it sucks. Stay strong
>>
Lara Croft makes him feel like a young man again. Also how fucking old is your dad that he has dementia?
>>
>>375884380
He mostly has problems forgetting which button does what. Arcade games could be a really good idea on that note though, since a lot of them were made to be played with a stick and two buttons.
>>
>>375884567
He's only in his 50s. It's really early dementia, which just makes it worse.
>>
>>375884672
I was asking because I am a nurse who works primarily with Alzheimer Dementia patients. That's very early onset. I'm sorry bro.
>>
>>375882826
Music is a great way to counter dementia and alzheimer's. I can only imagine what video games might do when you get hands on a familiar game that you loved in the past.

But to the point, he needs a sort of free-roaming game it seems to keep him from getting "streamlined" which a lot of today's games don't offer without getting complicated. Linear gameplay is good if it's simple and fun.

Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>375884893
But to answer your question, I am assuming that your father (assuming this story is true; would be fucked up if not) has Alzheimer Dementia? Alzheimer Disease tends to effect memories from the most recent to the oldest. I would recommend games that play similarly to older games, or simply older games.
>>
Silent Hill 2?
>>
>>375885098
Maybe I should be a little clearer, if it isn't a 'classic' then it should be a game that doesn't offer too many restrictions. I mean every game like that will have places you don't belong yet, but nothing like Dark Souls. That'd be overkill. Or would it?
>>
>>375885098
Nothing can "counter" Alzheimer's, unfortunately. It is a degenerative condition that physically decays brain matter. Music, especially music that the patient enjoyed early in life, is stored elsewhere in the brain, in a location that is usually hit last.
>>
>>375885152
I'm not actually sure about the specifics, he got diagnosed in Texas while living with his sister for a while, then came back up here, so I haven't got all the specifics.
>>
>>375885486
How was he diagnosed? Did he get a CT and/or MRI?
>>
>>375884593
I keep coming back to stuff like Dragon Quest.
Very simple gameplay, straight forward goals, can be played with basic controls.

How bad is he? Is he at the point where he's in a memory ward? If he isn't already you may need to get him used to the idea that he can watch you play games and help you whether that means in person or with a stream.
>>
>>375885406
That's why when they listen to music that they enjoyed, there seems to be a higher chance that they have "snaps" of being coherent. I'unno, you're not gonna read that in a medical text my dude
>>
>>375882826
Check out Journey or ABZU
>>
I'm the samefag nurse here. Simplicity of a game does not matter if he needs to learn new game mechanics. Unless he has acute dementia, which is most-likely not the case, the disease will continue to physically eat away at his brain, typically from the most-recent to oldest memories. He would need to play games that are very similar if not the same mechanics of games he already played before the onset on the symptoms.
>>
>>375885745
Rather, higher cognitive function rather than being coherent per se.
>>
Thumper is good but too fast maybe
>>
>>375885624
I should probably know more, but I don't. I haven't been able to get in contact with my aunt, and it was her and my grandmother that handled all the stuff for getting him diagnosed and on disability.

>>375885638
He hasn't lost much in the way of long term stuff, he still knows who people are, where he is, etc., but he has trouble with actually doing some things. Like he'll forget which direction is right or left, or how to close a browser, etc.
>>
>>375882826
Sorry to hear that OP. My mother had dementia for about five or six years until the cancer got to her. Seeing them slowly lose everything is the absolute fucking worst and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
>>
>>375885745
They can have moments of clarity. Think of the brain as a Fragmented Hard Drive. Triggering a response from one area of the brain may also bring up other thoughts or memories that may have been stored in the same area for whatever reason. Perhaps by some sort of association. However, dementia is a degenerative condition. By that I mean that the brain is PHYSICALLY degenerated. In the end, it will always be the same outcome...
>>
>>375886064
Out of curiosity, he wasn't a huge diet doctor pepper drinker, or big fan of some other diet pop was he?
>>
>>375882826
My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer, and his favorite game was Command and Conquer. For months we would have near the same conversation about how cool the game was. I had to stop the day he told me his fondest memory of it was letting his son watch him play when he was old enough to understand what was going on on screen.

I miss you dad.
>>
>>375886239
No, nothing diet. He likes Dr. Pepper and Pepsi, but I don't think I've seen him drink a diet one in his life.
>>
>>375886352
Any cause of "Alzheimer's Dementia" is simply speculation. This is assuming that he actually has Alzheimer's. While a person in his/her 50's isn't impossible, it is VERY rare. Is your father an alcoholic? A recreational drug user? Morbidly obese?
>>
>>375886352
Yeah, I keep looking for environmental stuff that may have contributed, its terrifying seeing it happen to somebody not that much older than you and wondering if its some kind of genetic thing and that its going to get you too.

I've been taking up some more dangerous hobbies that will give me an easy out if it comes to that.
>>
harvest moon back to nature
>>
>>375886604
>Is your father an alcoholic?
Yes, he was.
>>
>>375886239
>>375886604
All these doctors on /v/ and they don't even mention you can cure anything by smoking weed. Seriously doubting your credentials right now.
>>
>>375886604
There are a lot of post-death findings of tau protein buildup in areas of the brain, in people with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's.
>>
>>375886809
Dementia is entirely incurable. I'm sorry, but i's true. However, depending on the type of dementia, you can either slow down (somewhat or considerably) or stop the progression of it. Is he still currently drinking? Or perhaps was and wasn't telling you? If so, then his ceasing to drink could slow or even stop the spread of the disease.
>>
>>375887309
There have been findings. This is true. Fortunately, this has led to many sound theories. However, treatment based on these findings only sometimes ONLY delay the inevitable, showing that there is more at play.
>>
>>375887397
Let me correct myself. There are times that a patient may have dementia-like symptoms. These are curable, and at times even reversible.
>>
>>375887397
Since he's on disability and has dementia, they had to appoint a payee to oversee his funds, which became yours truly. I don't think he's been drinking, and I haven't been allowing him to buy any alcohol, but there's no accounting for the craftiness of an old drunk. As far as I know, he's stopped though.
>>
>>375887538
Right but at least we are making progress. Any solid Alzheimer treatment drug is going to make that person a fuckin' billionaire.
>>
>>375887767
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but dementia is the single-most profitable disease in the United States.
>>
>>375887898
Nothing wrong with conspiracies; a lot are correct as is. Big Pharma would certainly try to profit as much as inhumanely possible if one were ever discovered.
>>
>>375888006
But what pays more money? A cure for a disease that you can charge or the ass? Or years of living in a nursing home, or home care, and a shit-load of meds that do next to dog shit. Let's add in Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietary Needs, 24 hour in home aides, specialized home equipment, etc...
>>
>>375888329
up the ass
>>
>>375888329
True. I feel a cure would go directly to Big Pharma while all the supplementary options would go to other companies and corporations.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.