[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay seriously, /v/. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

Okay seriously, /v/. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm legitimately curious here.

Why the fuck is this game so highly praised? Please, someone explain it. I'm nearly at the end now and it has been one of the most mediocre experiences of my life. I'm playing with a friend and we're both completely baffled by this. Why is it so universally praised? Why? This game is so aggressively sub par, yet it got so many tens you'd think it was a Zelda game. Can anyone explain this at all?
>>
>>375874335
I can't. Traded my 360 in for a PS3, just for this game and I didn't really like it.
>>
>>375874335
Naughty Dog+Normies who are easily invested in boring stories and unimmersive gameplay make one hell of a storm
>>
>>375874335
>you'd think it was a Zelda game.
>t. False flagging Nintendo cuck.

This game is better than Zelda. Better story, deeper gameplay. Actually challenging combat. Better graphics.
>>
>>375874335
You should have seen how I reacted to Uncharted 4. It's fucking garbage, I don't get it in the slightest.
>>
>>375874335

Cause little girl waifu. Same reason people like bioshock infinite. It's actually just a bunch of fags white knighting fictional characters.
>>
>>375874335
The story is better written than most video games (but still weak by film or lit standards), so gaming journalists who desperately want their hobby to be seen as a legitimate art form splooge all over it.
>>
File: 1493225629581.jpg (6KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1493225629581.jpg
6KB, 184x184px
>>375874887
>deeper gameplay
>challenging combat
>>
>>375874887
>deeper gameplay
After all these years I still haven't seen much in the way of gameplay for TLoU.
>>
>>375875065

The story really isn't good at all. Even pulp adventure novels have better writing and more originality.
>>
>>375874335
I liked it, but I have reservations. The making of Ellie into a lesbian in the added chapter ruined the story quite a bit, but otherwise it's pretty solid. As far as the gameplay the game is long without overstaying its welcome. The combat elements are fun and make for some pretty interesting encounters especially if you're playing on easy or normal. (don't bother with high difficulties there's no point to them) I beat the game on Suvivor level and didn't see anything from it that I couldn't have gotten from beating it on Normal.
>>
>>375874335
>I'm playing with a friend and we're both completely baffled by this.

Nice try Nintendo cuck. You don't have friends. Also why are you comparing a real game like TLOU to a kiddy game like Zelda?

They're both different. TLOU requires that you be an adult to play.
>>
>>375875780
My friend and I are laughing at this
>>
Great gameplay.
>>
Zombie TV show writing and third person survival shooter is the recipe for success with normies
>>
>>375874335
bet you didnt play it on the hardest difficulty. but the multiplayer is beyond good, best action pvp ive ever played. If you don't like it go play fucking queer ass zelda openworld shit.
>>
GOAT Multiplayer
>>
>>375875065
>so gaming journalists who desperately want their hobby to be seen as a legitimate art form splooge all over it.
This. More people need to realize that the ones who couldn't hack it as actual journalists get into gaming journalism.
>>
>>375874335
Casuals and people who don't read or like good movies like the story. To me, it's basically a retread of Resident Evil 5: you go into an area, fight enemies, and unlock the next area, upon which shit repeats. I didn't get far enough to notice if there's boss enemies cause the game sucked so much. If it doesn't, it sucks even more than RE 5 and that game suck maximum ass. At least RE4 had different segments to mix up the pace, and the "fight former humans in a somewhat realistic setting" angle hadn't been too done to death yet.

This is partly why even though I bought the complete witcher 3 game on psn for my ps4, I haven't played much of it. I can't shake the feeling it'll be more of the same: subpar gameplay and mechanics with mid-tier story as frosting. I mean, what kind of faggot looks to games for story? Fucking pick up a book, there are literally thousands of books that are worth reading and have better stories than vidya.
>>
I tried to hate this game but I couldn't.
>>
goat music desu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_RwQysgA8
>>
>>375874335
It's not terrible, but if you were expecting anything besides a basic bitch Walking Dead tier story, decent waist-high cover shooter gameplay, and admittedly amazing graphics at the time on 2006 hardware, you were bound to be disappointed. That said, I won't ever shit on the game's visuals. What Naughty Dog did on that shitty hardware was black magic.
>>
File: not_so_bad.jpg (56KB, 857x538px) Image search: [Google]
not_so_bad.jpg
56KB, 857x538px
>>375874335
Combat is satisfying and people enjoy the story. Voice acting was phenomenal and nobody can hate a papa bear with a daughter-fu. The craftsmanship is very well done but it maintains a smaller studio feel despite all the money that had been pumped into it. Multiplayer was fun and (believe it or not) there was a lot of replay value due to little tidbits and things you may have missed.

It wasn't perfect -- dunno why people give it a full 10 -- but it was satisfactory in most every category.

t. platinum'd and grounded is easy
>>
>>375874335
Care to explain actually why you feel this way?
>>
no idea mate, this game is insanely mediocre but is just constantly praised on leddit and youtube, on reddit even in the more respectable boards i had trouble finding people who had the samw opinions as me
>>
>>375874887
>deeper gameplay
Are you telling me Zelda is more shallow than listening to dialogue while slowly carrying a ladder to a window?
>>
The game is fun. Not GOTYAY but it was a nice experience
>inb4 fun is a meme word
Fun is used by people who still enjoy things. Thankfully I haven't gone that far
>>
File: 1412397505922.jpg (90KB, 925x768px) Image search: [Google]
1412397505922.jpg
90KB, 925x768px
>>375874335
I only ever played it for the multiplayer, which was around top... 20 or so multiplayer games i've ever played
then Naughty Dog added a LITERAL pay-to-win loadout DLC
>>
>/v/
>not trying to be contrarian
It's okay, you're among the w̶o̶r̶s̶t̶ best of the best here.

>first good story in a video game (save for some hipster shit no one played)
>engaging, fluid, situational-based fighting
>good stealth system
>ACTUAL survival horror game, moreso on hard+ where there's little ammo, supplies
>godlike facial, mocap animation, and VOICE ACTING
>characters that make you give a shit about them
>music is perfect

I don't give a fuck if YOU or every other person in this thread who'll be (You)ing me didn't like it. It's a personal game, I liked it, and these are the reasons why. It's obvious you're a gaslighting fag trying to stir the shit-pot, but for people who are considering playing it: are there things wrong with it? Yeah. The AI isn't great. The "pandemic" thing has been done before, a lot. There's some 30-45 second ladder/plank stuff that /v/ blew up of course because they're impatient ADD kiddies, that's in the beginning hours of the game. However Winter is one of the best gaming experiences I've had, ever. It's so fucking good, so just play it.
>>
>>375874335
>open ended levels with multiple ways of approach
>heavy feel to the guns and a nice weight to melee
>laser fists for environmental kills makes each kill feel unique
>cinematic feel to just playing the game due to above reason
>satisfying carrot on a stick chapter design
>right amount of difficulty without being overwhelming
>collectibles that actually changes dialogues and have characters react to
>collectibles that actually unlocks things
>morally ambiguous story that's different from the usual shooters
>characters have great development over the course of the game
>feels socially acceptable without being too on the nose
>non regenerating health, on the flu crafting, weapon upgrades that actually matters
If this wasn't a Sony exclusive, /v/ would love it
>>
Have no clue. And this is from someone that really liked Uncharted, I just can't this """"game"""""".
>>
>>375874335
Why would you play such a game with a friend?

Also if you cant imerse yourself into the father/protector role or if you dont like the characters than it is pretty shallow obv.
>>
>>375875065
i still think it's a 9/10, but you are absolutely right about gaming journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEs33aWkX2Q

just listen to this shit. The words he uses at some times scream "i had a thesaurus next to me in order to sound more enlightened"
>>
>>375874335
>Joel dies on the way home by some random infected

I really wanted the last of us 2 to start off this way.
>>
Borrowed it a month ago. I'm not even joking when I say that basically 90% of the time you are either walking to point a to b, or having to sneak past some humans or zombies.

Add in the pretentious(also boring at times) story, depressing characters, and setpieces, and you got yourself the gaming equivalent of oscar bait.
>>
>>375877046
Funny enough, I beat Witcher III with all the different endings, bought Horizon: Zero Down and I've only put about 3 hours into it. It's hard to aim with the PS controller and the gameplay feels wayyyy too familiar like you're playing the same game as a few you've already played.
>>
>>375874335
It has good voice acting
>>
>>375875128
Fuck you!
>>
File: Ellie faces Death.gif (587KB, 194x221px) Image search: [Google]
Ellie faces Death.gif
587KB, 194x221px
>>375874335
>Why the fuck is this game so highly praised
Has great potential OP,GREAT!!
>>
Wooow some people really have a bad taste for videogames. TLoU is a masterpiece and it will be remembered for years and years.
>>
>>375884673
the little death huh
>>
File: Ellie Keeping Watch.gif (2MB, 209x226px) Image search: [Google]
Ellie Keeping Watch.gif
2MB, 209x226px
>>375884849
She wouldn't of been in that situation if she followed Joel's orders and kept watch.
>>
>>375874335
There is a simple answer:

Story-driven.
Pretty animations.
Graphics.

Those are pretty much the AAA games goal nowadays, and have little to do with actual fun or true immersion.
>>
It's got more gameplay than Uncharted.
>>
File: Dark_Cancer.jpg (96KB, 480x478px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Cancer.jpg
96KB, 480x478px
Because sonybros will praise every Playstation exclusive as if it's the greatest experience that anyone can ever have; and simply by playing said game they transcend over other humans into a divine state of enlightenment and power.

See also: Soulsborne, Persona.
>>
>>375874335
story is some generic movie shit mixed with sly cooner. multiplayer is the best part of the game, and why i would recommend it to people.
>>
>>375886501
Persona 5 is actually good though. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>375887381
>Persona 5 is good
>Bloodborne is not
fuck off, not everyone wants to listen to 50 hours of anime dialog.
>>
File: 1463118482480.jpg (65KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1463118482480.jpg
65KB, 460x460px
>>375887381
>Comparing Bloodborne with Uncharted.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.