[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favourite Horror or horror-ish games? Finished Alien: Isolation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: Alien_Isolation.jpg (18KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Isolation.jpg
18KB, 250x288px
Favourite Horror or horror-ish games?

Finished Alien: Isolation some time ago, currently trying Soma before I might tackle Amnesia.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Alien Isolation has the best aesthetic. Sci fi needs more monochrome CRT monitors.

Sadly, the gameplay peaks at the medical bay. From that point forward, it's all repetition.
>>
>>375869323
True, but the flashback section was a total treat.
>>
>>375869323
Also, I liked the trains(?) section, because Ripley mirrored my thoughts perfectly ("that was too close"). And I remember being real fucking happy when I got the stun gun or javelin gun? The one that let me finish off Working Joess with one or two shots. Fucking Working Joes. Worse than the Alien if you ask me.
>>
File: feel.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feel.png
7KB, 645x773px
>>375870646
Working Joes made me feel bad.

>hide from Joe.
>hear him looking for you.
>Please come out, you are making me waste company time.

I'm sorry joe
>>
>>375867958
Dead Space
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 640x808px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 640x808px
>>375867958
>>
File: Pathologic.jpg (94KB, 423x598px) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic.jpg
94KB, 423x598px
My favorite horror games are the four KCET Silent Hill games, though I imagine those are most people's favorites. I'm also fond of a decent chunk of the Resident Evil games, Pathologic, Yume Nikki, Fatal Frame 1-3, Forbidden Siren 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness, and I'm more than likely forgetting a good amount of others.
I really like horror.
>>
>>375867958
Ayy Lmao
>>
>>375867958
Alan Wake
>>
>>375872398
Only ever played the 4th Resident Evil. Wasn't too horrifying for the most part, except for the Regenerators. Gah.
Actually most enemies on the island were rather unsettling. I think more so because of the excellent voicework. Damned soldiers with their gatling guns.
>>
Outlast and its expansion. Have yet to play the second one, but I hear its a treat
>>
File: REmake.jpg (75KB, 333x472px) Image search: [Google]
REmake.jpg
75KB, 333x472px
>>375873602
If you want a genuine horror game, I'd say the REmake is your best bet. It's incredibly atmospheric.
>>
>>375873995
Thanks mang, might try it.

On a sidenote, some segments in Bioshock managed to scare me more than genuine horror games. Maybe it's cause you don't expect it. (Fucking dentist's office...)
>>
I dont see how isolation is a horror game. Its more like a stealth game
>>
>>375875320
I find that some of the most effective spooky moments in games are in non-horror games, where you don't expect it. I recently started getting into the Stalker games, and there are moments in Shadow of Chernobyl that actually managed to make me tense and jump, simply because I didn't expect it.
>>
File: FUCK dogs.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK dogs.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
STALKER is and always will be my favorite horror-isa game
>>
you know what fucking scares me? exploring caves in minecraft.
>>
>>375869323
I hated medical bay because it was complacently scripted.
>>
File: 161156.jpg (55KB, 1260x721px) Image search: [Google]
161156.jpg
55KB, 1260x721px
>Can't wait to get spooked by Aliens
>NO YOU FIDE HUMANS NOW
But... Every Alien canon has humans band together when a xeno is present
>NO YOU FIDE HUMANS NAOW
OKay I guess but wheres the Alien
>NO YOU FIDE ROBOTS NOW
But I-
>ROBOTS

And then I unsintalled.
>>
>>375875589
Bioshock had some fantastic light and shadow play. The morgue, Cohen's plaster statues...sweet shit.

Oh yeah, the Overlord add-on for Mass Effect 2 was pretty good too. I did jump a few times when the screens turned on and some incomprehensible digital thing screeched at you.
>>375875410
What defines horror for you?
>>
>>375876078
*completely
Fuck me
>>
>>375875939
I hate when there's a zombie like one room over and you still have the audio as if he's breathing into your ear. Also fuck skeleton archers.
>>
>>375876125
Something scary. There is nothing scary about having to hide under a table because there is an enemy and the devs don't give me the tools to kill it.
>>
I wanted to like SOMA so bad, but the ''gameplay'' tiresome I couldn't finish it.

Anyway I would recommend RE7. It's a solid horror/survival game, it has a spooky atmosphere and charismatic characters. Didn't play the DLCs tho, they look pretty bad.
>>
>>375876396
>Something scary
You realize fear, as an emotion, is subjective, right?
>>
the old silent hill and resident evil games, also dead space

I don't like games where you have to run away from enemies or hide

I played alien isolation with the "no alien" mod, it was okay, something similar with amnesia the dark descent, I don't remember, maybe sanity always max

didn't like the evil within

Doom 3 is good with the flashlight mod
>>
>>375876396
>having to hide under a table because there is an enemy and the devs don't give me the tools to kill it.
That is precisely why it's scary.
>>
>>375877231
Its not scary, its tedious. I feel no fear for the alien its just an annoyance that forces me to put the game on hold until it moves on.
>>
Metro 2033/Last Light

Of course it's not a full on horror game, but it has the vibe and atmosphere of a good horror story.
>>
>>375877453
>I feel no fear for the alien
That's your problem then. Objectively, it's a scary experience, running from something you can't escape, knowing it will kill you when it gets you.
>>
>>375875410
You start off horrified by the Alien. By the end, you're horrified that the Alien will one-shot you when you're 60 minutes out from your last save.
>>
>>375878010
I'm horrified at how boring the shit is. At no point have I ever jumped playing Isolation. Even when the alien grabs you it doesn't even scare you it just does some slow cutscene of you getting grabbed
>>
>>375872398
fatal frame is pretty good, well, only played 2 and 3

I played siren blood curse, mixed feelings, I think the ending really sucked

eternal darkness is pretty good but there's one enemy that sends small creatures to teleport you to another world and those fuckers made me rage quit more than once
>>
Silent Hill 1-3
REmake
Cry of Fear (HL1 mod)
Amnesia: TDD
>>
>>375877005
So basically, you're a wuss.
>>
>>375872807
alan wake was good but I have a bit of a hard time seeing how it could be someone's favorite horror game

>>375878659
>Cry of Fear

yyeeesss, forgot about that one for some reason, very good though I hated the jump crouching and god damn there was a lot of it

I prefer Afraid of Monsters
>>
>>375877005
How can you play Silent Hill and be too scared to play Amnesia and Alien properly?
>>
>>375878715
whatever you want, that stuff makes me rage, so annoying, not scary but nothing really is scary anymore

>>375878945
>be too scared to play Amnesia and Alien properly
>be too scared
that's one big assumption

again, I didn't play them vanilla not because they were scary but because hide and run away gameplay fucking sucks deeply (imo)
>>
>>375878410
There's other types of fear than jumpscares you know. I mean I guess you could just be desensitized.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.