[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think Valve haven't been working on Half-Life for years.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: half-life-3 (1).png (33KB, 760x427px) Image search: [Google]
half-life-3 (1).png
33KB, 760x427px
I think Valve haven't been working on Half-Life for years.

Notice how Gabe suddenly stopped talking about it during interviews in 2010?
>>
>>375858994
Stop worrying about it and you'll live a more fulfilling life.
>>
Half life is a mediocre series to begin with. Take your nostalgia goggles off.
>>
>>375858994

2006-2010

WE'RE PLANNING ON FINISHING UP THIS STORY ARC IN HALF-LIFE 3

2011-

I have nothing to say about Half-Life 3
>>375859129

I can't.

It keeps going through my mind, I'm always wondering what happens next.
>>
Holy fucking shit is there a more overrated series than fucking half life? Seriously if it weren't for the HALF LIFE 3 NEVER XD meme no one would fucking give a shit. Fuck off.
>>
>>375859201
>>375859293
>hurr half life is shit
underage
>>
>>375859293
Half-Life 1 and 2 are some of the most fantastic shooters ever.

Half-Life 1 is up there with Halo 1 and DOOM as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>375859424
This is how I picture you and everyone who makes half life 3 threads.
https://youtu.be/zWdh8W8Igyo
>>
>>375859602

Kid wasn't even born when Half-Life 2 came out lmao
>>
>>375859293
>claims HL is overrated shit
>probably is a Nintendo fan and likes FF7

Neck yourself nigger.
>>
>>375858994
It is a very hard thing for me to digest that there are still people that ACTUALLY think that Half Life 3 is still coming.
>>
Every single videogame, that you could imagine coming from VALVe, is indeed being worked on.

You'd know this if you knew VALVe's work structure. Not gonna explain it all in detail, but to keep it short: Every project they are working on is literally nothing more than a project and every member of the company can choose which project to currently work on.

I bet there are people at VALVe, who had some neat ideas regarding a new Half Life instalment. I bet these people did some work on a new Half Life instalment. Maybe a neat piece of artwork, the implimentation of a new feature into the prototype (if there is one) or just tweaking a few story segments.

However, none of this will contribute to anything. These are just occasional moments of inspiration, but no real signs of productivity. No one at VALVe currently wants to bring a new Half Life forward, yet alone finish it. As long as this does not change, we will not get a new Half Life.

The same is true for every other project stuck in VALVe's developer hell. At this point, I can only see VALVe releasing a new game if they are either struck by a great inspiration or trend (VR headsets for sure) or they need to replace one of their top-trending multiplayer games, because it has gotten old. (The combination of TF2, L4D2 and CSS has been abandoned and replaced with a combination of DOTA2 and CSGO (with tiny bits of TF2 still intact). Once DOTA2 or CSGO dies, we'll get so see L4D3 / DOTA3 / CS3 or whatever., just so they can keep selling hats and keep steam the most relevant PC gaming platform.)
>>
Whoa you're a fucking genius mate
>>
>>375858994
I don't think any one has given a fuck about halflife for years.
>>
My feeling is HL3 is probably in early production, and probably won't be shown until near the end to prevent the same shit that happened with HL2 and announcing it early. Keep in mind that valve has a history of creating a shitload of content for a game and then redoing it at the end (Look at HL1 and HL2 for a example, both have betas available that showcase how widely different it was right before release).

I get the feeling they have been testing the waters with Source 2 with DOTA 2 and the eventual CS:GO upgrade before they get too far into doing anything worthwhile.
>>
>>375862009

So you're telling me Valve keeps almost 400 people across two locations on payroll who just work on some shit when they feel like it?
>>
>>375862982
yes
>>
>>375859437
Halo CE is garbage though
>>
>>375862982
That is correct. That's why even though it's consistently the third most played game on steam and prints money like crazy, tf2 has a dev team of 14 people. Nobody wants to work on it anymore so nobody does.
>>
>>375862982
sometimes they spend their time eating a big pink cookie
>>
>>375862982
While I don't think the previous anon was completely right where people just randomly add things in, I do believe they get to choose which projects they work with for a while. Having people randomly add in things would wreak havoc for anyone trying to keep a design hierarchy in place. If one of the accounting dudes came into my office and started talking about a feature he added into a application we were working on, I'd be terrified.
>>
>>375863602
explain how
>>
>>375858994
>Notice how Gabe suddenly stopped talking about it during interviews in 2010?

Well there was that interview where he specifically said that Valve aren't making single player games like half life anymore.
>>
>>375859424
>underage

That's probably why they keep delaying it. They need to find a way to hook newer generations in, since they weren't here during the HL2 hype. It's safe to assume that a lot of the old fans gave up, so they need to add another profitable demographic to their targets.
>>
>>375862982
They can choose what to work on, but they HAVE to work on something at all times, not when they feel like it.
>>
>>375863825
Two weapon limit, overpowered pistol, most of the level design is mediocre at best and some like the Library are utter garbage (silent cartographer is phenomenal tho) second half is copy pasted level after copy pasted level.
>>
>>375858994
The fuck're you talking about. Did you not hear about the AMAs he's done?

He said he regretted certain choices they made in the Half Life series. He mentioned years earlier that they had literally NO IDEA how to make a single player game and no plans to continue HL-series at that time and the recent-ish AMA backed up that viewpoint.

So yeah HL3 is dead in the water. In my opinion I just want to see the game that they wanted to make. I don't give a fuck if it's perfect, but that's what everyone is trying to make it into.

If anything L4D3 is the next game, personally I don't think they're working on much of anything aside from the VR and keeping up with their current profit (Dota, CSGO, TF2)
>>
>>375864134
>most of the level design is mediocre at best
maybe in the purely mechanical sense, but it has great world design, and a very good sense of scale and openness for a game of that era, as well as having incredibly well-done vehicles
and nitpicks like "poor weapon balance" can't make a game garbage, just flawed
>>
>>375862982

Someone probably has the old leaked employee handbook somewhere.

Basically Valve's structure is such that they employ people, but don't set up specific projects or teams for anything. People just work on the game, platform or with the group they want. They have no given direction from a manager or anything.

This is why Valve takes forever to do anything, and even when they actually promise shit, its almost never done on time. They have a hippy new age management structure, and it shows.
>>
>>375858994

Honestly its a PR disaster to make HL3. Unless it is the second coming of the Christ almighty himself it will be marked as a waste.

Just look at The last guardian. That shit was mocked for not being god tier. Making HL3 can only hurt the valve brand.
>>
>>375864703

>And it shows

WELL SIGN ME RIGHT THE FUCK UP! THESE NIGGAS ARE MAKING DOSH OFF 10 YEAR OLD GAMES AND ADDING SOME GLOVES AND SHINNY HATS NOW AND AGAIN.
>>
File: 1488466761868.jpg (36KB, 720x648px) Image search: [Google]
1488466761868.jpg
36KB, 720x648px
>>375864703
imagine all the fucking talent that valve gobbles up just to make trashy steam hardware and more ways to squeeze money out of player-made cosmetics

the government should step in and do something
>>
>>375864703
>they have a hippy new age management structure, and it shows

I've thought about this a lot. The reason why we were able to get a lot of the older games was because they didn't have a constant influx of profit thus forcing the need to create a game to... you know? make money.
But now they're in this perpetual loop of making money off of older games that they don't really have any struggle to force out a new game. Which begs the question if they'll ever make a new game or just keep cycling their current IPs. Remake with HD graphics and keep the cycle going.

I blame the TF2 autists.
>>
File: gabendies-2.png (2MB, 699x4918px) Image search: [Google]
gabendies-2.png
2MB, 699x4918px
>>375858994
the prophesy shall be fulfilled
>>
>>375865109
>I blame the TF2 autists.
it's steam
they take at least a 10% cut, imagine all the revenue that they get for basically nothing

I think I read somewhere that valve is THE most profitable tech (or something) company per employee, even beyond microsoft, apple or google
>>
>>375864134
>>375864474
You forgot the total shit enemy variety (what are there? 4 different enemies? 5?) and the cancer that is health regen
>b-b-b-but shields and health are different!!!
It still makes the best strategy a cover seeking snorefest.
>>
File: 1477640508887.png (42KB, 1056x625px) Image search: [Google]
1477640508887.png
42KB, 1056x625px
>>375859424

>Someone called my generic online activation DRM FPS bad, better call him underage

Half Life 2 was released in the same year as the first Far Cry game and isn't even close to being as good as Far Cry. You can stop sucking Valve dick any time now.
>>
File: 1489705152413.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1489705152413.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>375865151
That'd be a pretty great way to go out, is what I think everytime I read this. and halflife 3 is never released.
>>
With how the market's changed now, would Half Life 3 actually generate mainstream interest if it launched now?

All the gaming media would be all over it, but it's been 10 years now since Episode 2 and the FPS genre has been completely dominated (in the mainstream world) by the CODs and the like.

Would any of the modern FPS kiddies give a flying fuck about a sequel to a ten year old single player PC exclusive FPS?
>>
>marc laidlaw, chet faliszek and erik wolpaw have all left valve
>expecting valve to go back to making games
>>
>>375865417
>what are there? 4 different enemies? 5
grunts, jackals, elites, hunters, ghosts, banshees, dropships, wraiths, sentinels, infection forms, combat forms, carriers and all the different kinds of weapons that the enemies have

that's like 15 at least
>>
>>375858994
Half Life 3 is vaporware. Gabe and his crew have discovered that there is more money to be made in just being a digital distribution network than actually making games. Valve is no longer a game developer, they're a software development company.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.