[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've gotta ask something. So I've just been here,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 250px-Valkyria_cover.jpg (21KB, 250x287px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Valkyria_cover.jpg
21KB, 250x287px
I've gotta ask something.

So I've just been here, laying in bed browsing /v/ as I sometimes do, just to keep up with the vidya world and see what's shit/not shit. And as always, a good chunk of the discussion has to deal with Japanese games.

Now I'm here to ask, in the kindest possible manner, why is that? What is that Japanese games possess that makes them so attractive to so many people? It's something I've never really understood, and I'd like to shed some light on it.

I mean, I've obviously played Nintendo stuff, and I've messed around with a few different series over the years just as friends houses and whatnot, but for the most part I find them too over-the-top and... gamey? If that makes sense. I know it's rich coming from a video game nerd, but things like big combo fonts or outlandish costumes just draw me out of the experience. It makes me feel funny and childish.

So yeah, I'm genuinely interested, since it's clear there's stuff to like in them, even if I don't see it.
>>
Look at the website you're on.
Since you posted Valk, that's a legitimately fun, despite it being janky, turn-based game that the west hasn't attempted properly.

Japanese games are often experimental/uncaring making for some weird, but enjoyable experiences, anon.

What more do you need to know?
>>
>>375839913
This.
Just look at this year's releases. I can't name any North American releases that were that good, maybe Horizon? But Japanese games....Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nioh, etc.
I also think that JPN games are more focused on gameplay and difficulty. NA games tend to be openworld crap nowadays. I want narrative based stories and you find that a lot in JPN games.
>>
File: Bayo.jpg (217KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Bayo.jpg
217KB, 600x900px
>Now I'm here to ask, in the kindest possible manner, why is that? What is that Japanese games possess that makes them so attractive to so many people? It's something I've never really understood, and I'd like to shed some light on it.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I generally just like the way Japs makes their games better.

Generally speaking, they'll start out by making the gameplay mechanics first, and then they'll write the story and characters afterwards to fit the gameplay; while the west generally does the opposite. This is why characters like Bayonetta have guns on her heels, not for some significant story reason, but simply because "What if we made a game were the protag can strap weapons to both her arms AND feet?"

It's why Japs are generally the only ones who can do good boss fights, because boss fights are really only something that works if you treat video games as video games. You have to put gameplay mechanics above realism.

Also, I like how stupid and self-indulgent they can be.
>>
File: most happy event.jpg (36KB, 252x406px) Image search: [Google]
most happy event.jpg
36KB, 252x406px
>>375840684
Not OP, but this really insightful. Thank you.
>>
Honestly it's not so much that jap games are somehow way better than they ever were as much as it is the western AAA industry being in terrible fucking shape.

So much coming out of the west right now is big budget focus tested garbage. The west basically only got indies while Japs still got the smaller, but not that small studios left.
>>
>>375839674
>fan of western video games thinks jap games are too video gamey
Kek you're making yourself too easy to shit on.
>>
>>375840171
>NA games tend to be openworld crap nowadays

This. I want games with good and challenging gameplay with an interesting story. Too many NA game developers are making games with shit gameplay and barren uninteresting "open" worlds.
>>
>>375842250
I freely acknowledge this

>>375840684
This is exactly the sort of reply I was looking for, thanks mate
>>
>>375839674
Video games OUGHT to feel "video gamey" you fucking coddled cinematic experience baby
>>
File: 1467305265296.jpg (986KB, 1284x2968px) Image search: [Google]
1467305265296.jpg
986KB, 1284x2968px
>>375839674
>What is that Japanese games possess that makes them so attractive to so many people? It's something I've never really understood, and I'd like to shed some light on it.
These are some general trends in western and Japanese games that I have noticed over the years. They don't apply for every single Japanese and western game of course, but I think they show the differences in design philosophies.
>Japanese devs still treat games like games and put a lot of thought into the gameplay design. Nowadays, many western devs treats game like these cinematic, story experiences and the game design take a backseat to telling some sort of EPIC, DEEP, CINEMATIC STORY, and their games end up playing very similar to each other, which sometimes mediocre gameplay
>western devs care a lot about realism in their games, while Japanese devs don't and they're okay with putting crazy stuff in their games as long as it makes it more interesting and fun to play
>Japanese games tend to have really well thought out core mechanics can provide a lot of depth for players of various skill levels. A lot of western devs who copy a lot of stuff made by Japanese devs, or entries in genres pioneered by the Japanese make games that are shallower and have less depth than their sources. For a quick example see: Street Fighter versus Mortal Kombat and Devil May Cry versus God of War
Note: there are still a lot of GOOD western games and there have definitely been plenty of bad Japanese games
>>
>>375839674
Japan focuses on making their games video games. As in, gameplay first. Yeah they feel gamey.

Western vidya (at least AAA games) is obsessed with trying to make their games feel cinematic, as if you're playing a movie.
>>
>>375839674
Being gamey is pretty good. They were borne out of arcade culture and they still have one over there. The fuckers at Plat even wanted to make a shmup as their first game until Hideki slapped the new workers no.
Of course I think it is a general observation that the world over empathizes or finds utility in some Japanese goods. This I'd claim for a variety of reasons but I'd like a deposit before I go on.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.