[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ have such an obsession with framerate and graphics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1462845230433.jpg (15KB, 552x368px) Image search: [Google]
1462845230433.jpg
15KB, 552x368px
Why does /v/ have such an obsession with framerate and graphics when plenty of older games had terrible framerates and graphics and were still amazing games? A bad framerate doesn't render a game unplayable unless it's single digits like dark souls 1 blightown, yet so many people claim 30 FPS is impossible to deal with.
>>
>>375822992
maybe because as hardware becomes better and better we should no longer tolerate the issues that plagued video games before such as underwhelming frame rate and graphics.
>>
So you're totally fine with a modern game being released on number of 1.44mb floppy disks, because that's how things used to be, right?
>>
Their favorite youtube memer said so. Thats why
>>
>>375823163
>t. console retard
>>
>>375823191
Not an arugument. Plenty of console games run ar 60 moron
>>
>>375822992
My friend is the same way. We can't play anything without him saying "Mannnn, this would run so much better on PC/with mods/what the fuck ever." It's as if he's never played and enjoyed older games. I dunno if it's a side-effect of a being a PC gamer autist, but it's fucking retarded. Just play the god damn game.
>>
A huge part of the most vocal members of /v/ are people who's first consoles were Ps3's and 360's etc and who get most of their opinions from various YouTubers
>>
Gotta justify that 1500 dollar pc
>>
>>375823123
If some developer had the balls to release a multi-GB game on floppy discs, you can bet your ass I'd buy it and install it, one floppy at a time.
>>
1) Once you've had the good stuff, you can't go back

2) Framerate and graphics don't make a bad game good - but they always make a good game better.
>>
Staring at pretty shit is all most modern games are good for.
>>
i mean lets not kid ourselves here. to the human eye there is literally no difference between 30 fps and 144 fps. its all just a money making scheme.
>>
>>375822992
First, /v/ is not one person

Second, many old games despite having "shitty" (or low-poly) graphics did run on silky smooth 60fps
>>
>>375823108
As hardware becomes better, our standards for FULL IMMERSION get higher.

Compounding this -- and I think this is the greater part of it -- as we get older our ability to focus and immerse ourselves goes down. More and more we expect the game to do that job, but it's always been the case that the player has to meet the game halfway. He has to suspend his critical eye and filter out the negatives, when before, he didn't even really notice them.

If I had never heard of framerates or polygon counts, I wouldn't have even known to be disappointed by stuff like that. Spending time here doesn't help.
>>
Unstable framerate fluctuating between 15 and 30 fps can absolutely make the game totally unenjoyable to play.
>>
>>375823224
>Plenty of console games run ar 60 moron
>a couple exist so that means the other 90% of the time it's okay!
>>
>>375823561

lol no, only retarded people say that
>>
>>375822992
Old games had an excuse. New games that don't run at 60fps show ignorance and contempt for their players.
>>
>>375822992
>why do people have higher standards now

Huh, really makes you think
>>
File: _20170330_200539.jpg (3KB, 73x106px) Image search: [Google]
_20170330_200539.jpg
3KB, 73x106px
I'm fine with it, I just prefer 60+ and if I can mod it to be that way without fucking things up I'll do it
it's just a matter of admitting it objectively looks worse
but if a game's good I'll play it I don't care
jk kys gay person 30 fps is beneath me ya lil bitcherino
>>
>>375822992
>when plenty of older games had terrible framerates and graphics and were still amazing games?

Name them
>>
>>375823848
People have lower standards now for anything but photorealism though
>>
>>375822992
Framerate drops are often an unpredictable thing and can cause frustrating failures because suddenly the crosshair or iron sights or whatever moves differently and the way your enemy generally appears to move is different too. it's hard to aim when you get slow updates on the matter.

It's better to drop from 60 than it is 30 because anything under 30 is unplayable and almost disorienting. If you're playing shit that doesn't need reaction time or being able to actively track and attack things then i hope you enjoy your game of candy crush.
>>
>>375823952
You were the one that said everyone is obsessed with frame rate. So everyone does have standards now or they don't?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.