[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Videogames will never be a legitimate art form" -

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

File: 1477698182455.jpg (28KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
1477698182455.jpg
28KB, 700x394px
>"Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as Alejandro Jodorowsky informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form."

In hindsight, was he right?
>>
:D
>>
1. everyone knows it was Ebert that said that
2. go away
>>
>>375805781
No
>>
>>375805781

>hur duurr they steal our money and some even make our art look bad
>>
THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL HOUSE
>>
>never
Be careful we have a time traveler here, he knows how the medium will work on 20 years from now.
>>
>>375805781
art is subjective
>>
THE SAME AS WE EVER WUZ
>>
>>375805905
Ebert actually later took that back cause he is not a fucking idiot and dont wanted to be remembered by what in a couple of decades could become a laughingstock statement.
He was smart enough to realize that he cant see in the future of games.
These people that now say "can never be art" are either parrots or just plain stupid fucks.
I mean just look at how retarded it truly is if you break it down and pin shit down
>"so you think games will never be art right?" "but games changed in the last 30 years so much to a extend nothing else is even comparable.. and you still sure games can be art in like 50 years or 100 years from now when you cant even imagine what a game would look like from that time and how we would play it? you really sure?"
Its stupid how can anyone possibly know especial with something subjective as "art" that has already games that some truly believe is art.
>>
Don't put my based honorary nigga Byrne into your gayass vidya gaemz art discussion.
>>
File: 1386032741139.gif (888KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1386032741139.gif
888KB, 220x220px
>>375805781
>>375802549
>oh gee I wonder what /v/ is up to
>two shitty bait threads on first page
>quotes from literal whos nobody with any sense would give a shit about
>close tab and go back to /g/ and /pol/
>>
Ebert was so totally wrong in his opinion that his face just went "fuck this place, I don't want to live here anymore.' and left.
>>
TAKE A LOOK AT THESE DIGITS
>>
>music is art
>paintings are art
>3d models are art
>stories are art
>put them all together and add interactivity and it's no longer art
What even is art anyway, some pretentious word that makes your farts smell better?
>>
good gameplay is so rare these days that making a good classic game should be considered an artform.
>>
>>375807058
>doesn't know ebert OR doesn't know byrne and thinks he made said quote
>/g/ and /pol/
sad and retarded.
>>
(((legitimate)))
>>
talking heads was a mediocre 3 hit band
>>
>>375805781
Reminder that Ebert saying this is what spawned walking simulators who want to be art to feel validated
>>
>I'm rich and important
>I like thing
>thing is art
>>
>>375805781
I remember about a year ago when we got to 500+ posts worth of triggered /v/irgins thinking that fucking Michael McDonald said this. Good times.
>>
>/v/ can't identify this pasta even after 100 pastings
>>
>This thread will get at least a hundred posts despite being a pasta attached to a different name
>>
>>375805781
He's absolutely right. Video games do have some artistic merits, but no game has managed to be a coherent piece of art.
Too much focus on distraction and the mundane.
>>
Why do people feel the need to justify their hobby? It doesn't matter if it's art or not it's not, it's still a legitimate hobby.
>>
File: 1492305325393.jpg (67KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
1492305325393.jpg
67KB, 616x699px
>>375809218
>/v/
>>
File: DavidByrne2.gif (2MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
DavidByrne2.gif
2MB, 426x240px
Reminder that the Mario underground theme is a ripoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOFlsEBkPxs
>>
If someone can literally throw a bucket of paint on a piece of wood, or just make a giant penis made out of plastic, and it gets defined as art then games fucking can as well.
>>
>>375805781
Who gives a fuck really? Pretentious assholes is who.

Anything is art if you want to be a faggot about it, football can be seen as art is dance is. Same for anything.
>>
>>375809587
>it's not
Yes it is.
>>
>>375809707
Woah, is this what they call ART?
>>
>>375809793
>>it's not
>Yes it is.
No it's not.
>>
>>375809847
Why is it not?
>>
File: dsc00188.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00188.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
How is this more art than say... The Last of Us or Shadow of the Colossus?
>>
>>375809872
Because art is strictly a drawing medium
>>
File: O8EY6ia.jpg (2MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
O8EY6ia.jpg
2MB, 2268x4032px
>>375809707
>>
>>375809919
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>375809898
not art
>>
>>375805781
>I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it.
Then so fucking what? What kind of sad human being holds an opinion they can't even defend what kind of person thinks people want to or should hear their opinion without an argument as to why. Or defence of it.
>>375806639
Any creative work or expression is art. Videogames were always art. Fuck all Pretentious dirtbags trying to act like fucking gatekeepers of it.
>>
>>375809898
People tend to forget that contemporary art exists when they make statements like this.
Or they don't know anything about art to begin with and are saying bullshit.
Not that they're missing a lot given what is considered "art" nowwadays.
>>
>>375809919
Are you ESL by any chance?
>>
>people now shit on based Dave because some shitposter decided to put his name in a copypasta
You do this every time
FYI David is the ONE person who never took art as a serious thing,a nd decided to goof around his whole career ala >>375809707

He is probably one of the people most supportive about video games
>>
>>375810042
>contemporary art

Explain, as English is not my native language.
In my language we use the word "konst" instead of art, and that word is used for paintings, constructs like this, movies, music and even more recently, games.
>>
>>375805781
>>375805781
>I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it.

that's how you know someone deep down knows they're wrong and would be destroyed in a debate but they're too scared to admit it

also next time you should attribute the quote to someone like Michael Bay, it'd be funnier
>>
File: frog of peace.jpg (128KB, 494x498px) Image search: [Google]
frog of peace.jpg
128KB, 494x498px
postmodernists can fuck off and die
>>
>>375810161

or rather. We use the word for ANYTHING made up from someone's imagination that makes it into something concrete.
>>
>>375805781
Moving pictures will never be a legitimate art form.
Written novel will never be a legitimate art form.
Opera will never be a legitimate art form.
Instrumental music will never be a legitimate art form.

Again and again, ignorant people talk about art without having even a semblance of basic understanding of its history or how it works and why.
>>
>>375810161
http://www.today.com/id/21211300/ns/today-today_entertainment/t/french-court-tries-woman-kissing-painting/

This is considered "art" nowadays. I think it's clear enough to show how far we've fallen
>>
The greatest works of art in human history were all commercial products or public works. It isn't until the Warhol Generation that the idea of art is separated from commerce largely because Warhol was the only one that could make money in that group.

Every marxist social lib in art school ended up flocking to that ideal even though it was pushed by a guy that loved acid more than life largely because they're incapable of gaining actual patrons.

The quality of the work used to be the only measurement regarding whether or not something was art.

If the modern art critics were in charge of the definition of art we would have never had David or the Sistine Chapel. Modern critics are the reason the meme that no one wanted to buy Van Gogh exists even though people really did want to buy his works but the guy literally did not want to make money off his art because he had the mentality of a devout monk.
>>
>>375810161
I'm not saying this to imply that vidyas aren't art, I'm thinking the opposite, but it's hilarious to see that something that includes REAL art work, creativity, etc isn't considered as "art" by some idiots, but this is.
>>
File: artist.png (406KB, 1170x666px) Image search: [Google]
artist.png
406KB, 1170x666px
We should count ourselves lucky video games are not considered ((art)).

Imagine the following:
>Games get classified as "art"
>But only certain types of games meet the criteria, and cannot contain "problematic" elements.
>Agenda driven ((art)) games is brought to the forefront of gaming culture by corrupt gaming journalists.
>We need games to be classified as art for "muh validation!"
>Said games are issued to schools, since it's art, and therefore educational.
>Brainwash the young with agenda driven "art" games.
>One off walking simulators will go on sale as "art" pieces, with only one copy being sold at a gallery of games. Imagine paying $300,000 for a 2 hour walking simulator because it's now "art".
>Even if it's a poorly coded piece of shit that hardly plays, IT'S OK, IT'S ART! IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE GOOD!
>Any actual good games will get lambasted for not adhering to the new standards of the medium, and the creators/devs/fans will be called slurs and defaced by the game journo pros and their fuck buddies.

I'm only scratching the surface here.

Here's the thing anons....you and I both know games are art, or can be artistic at the very least in how they are presented. We never doubted that. We've always known that. We've never needed someone's outside opinion before to know this, and we don't need it now, and we never will.

But I for one would rather avoid the term "art" being used for games for as long as we are possibly able to.
>>
>>375810468

That's literally a white canvas, and has a value over two gorillion dollars. What the fuck?
>>
>>375810197
it's pomo, darling
>>
>>375810096
>>375806667
>defending David Byrne

He LITERALLY describes himself as a tumblr.
>>
>>375810616
>Agenda driven ((art)) games is brought to the forefront of gaming culture by corrupt gaming journalists
But this is already habbening!
>>
File: Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg (244KB, 968x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg
244KB, 968x1024px
>>375805781
the definition of art has been utterly fucked for some time now. pic related.

if you don't think vidya is art you haven't played the right games, some are nothing but art, like psychadelic walking sims.
>>
>>375810768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4
>>
Reminder that David Byrne is based
https://youtu.be/dE-mxVxFXLg
>>
>>375810675
>a tumblr
>a government man
>thinks facts aren't the truth
>thinks he can change his face by thinking it really really hard
>is literally a psycho killer
how do we stop him?
>>
>>375810616
none of those shits in the picture are art
>>
>>375810096

I remember Harmonix said they approached Talking Heads label about Rock Band and got a message from Byrne saying he was really interested and gave them a ton of material to work from beyond the masters. There's some special animations in Psycho Killer and Once in a Lifetime not available to any other song in the game (Same with some of the The Who's songs)

Even when Bowie got involved he said that games weren't art but they might be something new entirely which is what interested him (Apparently he was really excited about the concept of Amplitude and wanted to be involved because he saw the idea of playing with music to be amazing)
>>
>>375809536
Journey
>>
>>375810632
This is ART nowadays. Which makes all the claims about video games hilarious.
Oh well they are mas-produced and sold so it cannot be ar-oh wait.

But yes, what the fuck, indeed.
>>
File: Artists-Shit[1].jpg (180KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Artists-Shit[1].jpg
180KB, 1280x853px
>it is pretty! It should be art

It doesn't work like that.

But don't worry, videogames will be art someday thanks to tumblr and internet, like paint was art thanks to propaganda and pretensious people.

You will haver your Merda d’artiste in videogame form
>>
Theyll just never understand https://youtu.be/5UNwjB-k6aI
>>
My definition of art games is a game with a narrative or message that only works in the context of interactivity. Examples include The Stanley Parable and Undertale.

Using things like The Last of Us or Journey as examples of video game art is an insult to the medium. The word art means fucking nothing. Everything that isn't eating, shitting, breathing or fucking is art. Get over yourselves.
>>
>>375811492
I'm pretty sure some kind of fucking could be considered art nowadays, given the criterions.
>>
File: 4L_5m3S6X4Y.jpg (12KB, 183x194px) Image search: [Google]
4L_5m3S6X4Y.jpg
12KB, 183x194px
>>375809334
Those 3 hits weren't even that good
>>
File: Basilica interior.jpg (4MB, 3011x2007px) Image search: [Google]
Basilica interior.jpg
4MB, 3011x2007px
No medium will ever be an art form in its entirety, automatically.
A work needs both beauty and deep meaning to be art, it needs to feel soul enriching.
You can make a film that can be considered art, you can make a film that is not art.
You can paint a picture that can be considered art, you can paint something that is not art.
You can make an animation that can be considered art, you can animate something that isn't art.
You can write a book that can be considered art, you can write a book that isn't art.
You can design a building considered a work of art, you can make a building that isn't art.
You can make a video game that can be considered art, you can make a video game that isn't art.
By nature, video games are either mass made, or made by autistic pretentious idiots, so games that are true art are very very rare. But they do exist.
By the way, things like degenerate art and modern art aren't art. And Jodorowsy only has 2 good films.
>>
Ebert was a professional movie watcher, actual talented directors have praised videogames
>>
>>375810816
>he doesnt understand the urinal
Lmaoing at you
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.