[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some games with an interesting magic system? where magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: hero_banner_magicka_01.jpg (425KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hero_banner_magicka_01.jpg
425KB, 1600x1000px
what are some games with an interesting magic system?
where magic isn't just another type of damage
>>
>>375802964
is magicka any good
>>
>>375803024
It's fun, especially with other people, but Jesus is it fucking meme-tastic, in the bad way.

And I *really* mean the bad way.
>>
>>375803170
like borderlands level, or worse
>>
>>375803203
Worse
>>
>>375803024
it depends, I like it's magic system and the fact that its bosses are designed around puzzling them out with said system but it's extremely hard playing it without a friend, it's clearly designed around co op.
>>375803203
not really just some icons and achievements and shit, the jokes its has are usually original, its not the level of in your face faggotry that BL2 is
>>
>>375803203
Borderlands is cringey because it makes it's own bad memes and revels in them. At least for the most part.

Magicka literally has a king kicking a guy down a well and screaming this is Sparta.
>>
>>375803298
magicka is also older than both borderlands games
>>
>>375803348
nevermind I thought this game came out in like 2006 or some shit
>>
File: 1464924083556.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1464924083556.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
is the only way to get your thread noticed anymore to post anime titty?
>>
>>375803737
Yep

So, World of Warcraft, right? Can't recommend it's systems, but in ye olde days there were cool spells.

Mages and warlock players could be used to move people around the fuckhuge map. In the latest patch there is even a troll teleport that drops people off into the middle of a hole in whoop-whoop. There is supposed to be some safeguard against it causing deaths but I trolled some people, best was someone's girlfriend on chat. There is a loophole that caused her to spawn in and die. I followed them, slowed my fall and revived them using a tool. Then I said "Here is the REAL portal now! ;)". Bodies rained around me.

Back on topic, the mages used to be able to give n interesting double edged buff. A flat increase or decrease to spell damage received but also healing received. During tiny specs of area damage against the party, I was an unappreciated god, and against non-magic bosses I could buff us to receive more healing than otherwise. About half the people were shitters and remove the buff, not understanding.

My olde Mage was set up not to fit the meta, but to crush it. My build incorporated spell penetration and high levels of resistances and absorption, with multiple short duration shields that could negate damage and turn it into raw spell power buffs. Everyone else was no fun fags.

Also, there were about five different types of debuffs in the game and each class could only handle a maximum of two. It was neat to be able to act as support other than healing.
>>
>>375802964
ultima underworld and arx fatalis have good rune-based systems
>>
>>375803737
Don't forget to say something nice about her.
>>
two worlds 2
>>
>>375802964
The game itself is kind of shit, but "Magicmaker" has a cool sort of spell crafting system where you combine a bunch of different parts together to create a unique spell. It's mostly a novelty as the actual game part isnt so hot but I guess you could call it interesting

IIRC Camelot unchained is also planning on using some sort of spell crafting system
>>
>>375802964
Divinity Original Sin was interesting with the way spell effects interact with each other, lead to a lot of creativity for beating encounters but casting them is standard rpg fare. Also after a point it becomes kind of annoying to set up all the sick combos but I only played the original so maybe they fixed it.
>>
>>375805193
Magicmaker is fun if you like coming up with broken spells. The novelty wears off when you can plow through every level even at the highest difficulty.

It needs either a multiplayer mode or more actual challenging content in singleplayer. Those modes which replace your components with random shit you pick up or make you outright lose them don't count.
>>
>>375805426
op here, this is what i'm looking for, casting style is cool and all but I love effects being meaningful
>>
>>375805450
Yea, building spells can be pretty fun. My issue with it is that you gotta grind a bit to actually get enough spell legos to start making cool stuff.
>>
I assume Morrowind has been covered OP?

Rudimentary make your own spells, in that you pick from how it is cast and what effects it gives. You can name them. I had a set that gave me a huge amount of lightness (negaitive burden values) and jump improvement called 'Anon's Flight' and then one called 'Airbreak' that gave 1 second of the usually expensive levitation because it stopped all momentum.

I'd fly over the continent after launching from my runway, lining up my destination ahead of time using the map. Then once over my location I'd cast my airbreak and then decend.
>>
Dark messiah has great ways of using magic
>>
>>375807362
how so?
>>
>>375806228
You have to try lichdom battlemage, the system is a bit complicated at first, but when you figure out how to mix and match the different effects it's really rewarding
>>
>>375803024
Amazing in coop
Good enough solo
>>
TW2 supposedly had a pretty open custom spells system
>>
>>375809209
>TW2
what the hell is that? the witcher 2? tribal wars 2?
>>
>>375809574
two worlds 2
>>
>>375802964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.