[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open world games suck. Because most of the time, devs create

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: EtnrEoW.jpg (110KB, 687x400px) Image search: [Google]
EtnrEoW.jpg
110KB, 687x400px
Open world games suck. Because most of the time, devs create a large space, but it's never packed with enough content for it to matter. Where as smaller games like ocarina of time keep the feeling of open world by keeping the playing space smaller, but more densely packed with content. Being open in a linear space is the key.

Open world is entirely possible at a larger map size. Unfortunately most devs don't put the resources to making this possible obviously cause of lack of interest and budgets.
>>
Yeah, I wish games took after Daggerfall and kept to procedural generation.
Imagine how advanced that technology would be 21 years later.
>>
>>375797335
This is from 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtC0lpKKE38
>>
File: 1457253377348.jpg (346KB, 1131x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1457253377348.jpg
346KB, 1131x1200px
>>375797335
Problem with proc gen is that you get very uninteresting spaces. The best approach is always the devs construction a static design. It just comes at the cost of dev time. Unfortunately, the industry has pretty much tossed level design out the door. It use to be a timely art.
>>
>>375797449
>240p
might as well be 1996
>>
>>375797335

>No Mans Sky
>>
>>375797558
very good citizen, contrary to the point being made--well done
>>
>>375796897
making a really satisfying open world game would take decades
>>
File: 1386529475928.jpg (60KB, 560x419px) Image search: [Google]
1386529475928.jpg
60KB, 560x419px
>>375797906
Not really, but with the way game assets are made today with graphics taking up a lot of the budget, we can't really get anything genuine.
>>
>>375796897
>never packed with enough content for it to matter.
I find it's the opposite for most of these games and the world feels like some kind of amusement park where every step something is vying for your attention
the reason they are bad is because they are too tightly designed to give the player an "experience" rather than creating the world and game mechanics (laws) organically
>>
>>375798260
thats because of all the fetch sidequests they fill it with thinking that's content. But open world may be a product of just laxing development in the industry, which just bolds worse for us yet again.
>>
>>375798348
just put in a sandbox conquest mode in every open world game and you're good on content
>>
>>375796897
My problem with BOTW wasn't how much content it had so much as how little variation there was in it.
It was so disappointing every time I found a mysterious cracked hole in a cliff wall somewhere and all that was inside was a shitty weapon that I didn't have room for or another Korok instead of a mini-dungeon or something with a reward at the end that wasn't expendable.
>>
>>375798426
Like base capturing? I think that would require decent AI that can actually move around the map and give the player a challenge, which most devs aren't going to bother with. Stalker's CoC mod has base capturing though. It's pretty fun.
>>
>>375798426
Open world games need progression and the best way to do it is to have it so that the more of the world you complete, the more the world changes with you. That's primarily the problem with a lot of them, but again, would require too much work for the modern lazy dev.
>>
>>375798452
BotW's flaw was both Nintendo seemingly rushing the game out and it being released on the worse hardware for an open world kind of game. The PS4 or the PC would have done wonders for this game, but the Switch and Wii U held back most of it. Which is damn odd, cause there's many games in the past that have done what it has, but better.

So it's odd when people have been praising it left and right, but I have to remember that most people who play games these days never played PS2 and earlier games.
>>
what can you expect when good software engineers are soaked up by non-gaming related software companies?
games need to be $100 to offer engineers competing salaries
>>
>>375798818
The software engineers aren't the bulk of a game budget

>is a software engineer

It's both marketing and graphics.
>>
>>375798812
>The PS4 or the PC would have done wonders for this game
Yeah but it's fucking Zelda so that was never going to happen dipshit.
>>
>>375798885
ain't that the problem there hans
>>
>>375798426
no, that's just busywork
>>375798726
that can be done but you would need to set limits, dead rising and majora's mask for example let you do whatever you want but resets after some time
>>
File: WVW69kPLm9kaOhbSbR.png (5KB, 320x120px) Image search: [Google]
WVW69kPLm9kaOhbSbR.png
5KB, 320x120px
>>375798902
My point was that their higher specifications work better for games of this type. Nintendo should have at least dialed it back on a few stuff if they wanted to add more, but obviously, they don't want to sacrifice their AAA game in the look or presentation department. BotW is a consequence of its own hype.
>>
>>375796897
Except OoT was a prime 18.55 septillion FPS of your complaint being sparsely populated and empty feeling which was a severe disappointment for Zelda fans.
>>
>>375799067
It takes 1 to 4 mins to walk across the span of Hyrule field. Less if you're on horseback. That spacial speed alone makes content finding a lot easier. Not to mention the teleportation songs later.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.