[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Real life video game villains that got away with it >Gearbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: aliens_cm_m3601-min.jpg (234KB, 1000x1411px) Image search: [Google]
aliens_cm_m3601-min.jpg
234KB, 1000x1411px
ITT: Real life video game villains that got away with it

>Gearbox funnels money from ACM to fund Borderlands 2
>Gives a pittance to now defunct companies like Timegate Studios who were desperate for work to finish the game
>Skirts the deceptive marketing lawsuit and SEGA ends up the one having to go to court
>Alien Isolation ends up selling worse because of this brand poisoning
>SEGA has to resort to PC ports of console games and Borderlands is at its most successful

Brava Gearbox and Randy

Brava
>>
>>375777160

You could call Battleborn karma for this.
>>
File: vore.jpg (29KB, 476x349px) Image search: [Google]
vore.jpg
29KB, 476x349px
>The dev diary videos where Randy Pitchfork himself is sitting there explaining how much respect he has for the franchise and how he's been so heavily inspired by it through out his whole career. Looks right into the camera with a big ol' smile on his face and comments on how dedicated Alien fans are so he's making sure they get EVERYTHING right

Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching Gearbox crash and burn. I hope that man's kids die before he does
>>
Todd.
>>
>>375777459

hey man, that's a little far, his kids have it bad enough just having Randy as a father.
>>
>>375777292
Not enough karma, imo. They'll probably just make Borderlands 3 and be right back where they started.

I wonder how many people actually stayed away from Isolation because of how big a cock-up CM was. I hope it wasn't too many. A:I was never going to sell like crazy anyway because of its niche genre.
>>
>>375777553

Have you seen his child? He'll never think k of his father as a villain but as a god
>>
>>375777752
2K's hemorrhaging cash at this point. Two years in a row their AAA titles bombed (fun fact: there's actually more people playing Evolve than Battleborn) to the point that Gearbox remastered Bullestorm and put it at $50 in a desperate bid for cash. Even with Borderlands 3 I think there's still gonna be serious layoffs at Gearbox.
>>
>>375777160
This isn't Gearbox's worst offense.

What they did to Homeworld remastered is quite possibly the scummiest shit I've ever seen. Second only to maybe Task Force Red Sabre
>>
Didn't gearbox get sued for false advertising??
>>
>>375778894
But the lawsuit fell on SEGA because they're the publisher which is what OP referenced

Literally nothing bad happened to Gearbox as a result of Colonial Marines
>>
>>375779051
Damn dude. It still hurts watching those gameplay trailers for it :(
>>
>>375777160
i was so excited for this game

and even after it flopped ive bought it like 4 times for friends etc.

after all the mods of PC its actually playable now

>ive got alot of issues with isolation too
>>
>>375777553
nah, seriously unless you have a north korean approach to these issues no one will ever learn anything.
>>
File: 1491566137947.png (360KB, 607x555px) Image search: [Google]
1491566137947.png
360KB, 607x555px
>>
File: ms.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
ms.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
Master Cheif
>>
File: zAxsNX6.jpg (78KB, 450x577px) Image search: [Google]
zAxsNX6.jpg
78KB, 450x577px
>>375780423
Why do they always look so... damaged?
>>
>>375780764
Looks like he got face fucked by an angry elephant.
>>
>>375777160
It's quite unlikely that any publisher besides 2K will be willing to trust Gearbox in the future, though. Gearbox may have set up its own suicide years down the line.
>>
Why is Gearbox even remotely successful? I bought into the hypeviral marketing of Borderlands 1 on /v/ 8 years ago and after playing it for several hours realized how garbage the game was and never purchased on of their shitheaps again. How many times do retards have to touch a stove before learning it's hot?
>>
>>375781304
Honestly I think the only success they saw was from Borderlands and a little bit from Bulletstorm when it first came out. Everything else is spiraling down. Battleborn was their biggest investment to date and well we all know how thats going. Wouldnt be surprised if 2K axes them completely and passes on the IPs to a more a competent studio in their ranks.
>>
>>375778348
This. Either Borderlands 3 is going to come out rushed as fuck so they can actually attempt to get some money back or there is going to be massive layoffs.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Gearbox fails and 2K guts the company and whores out their licenses to other companies to work on.
>>
>>375778479
Explanation?
>>
>>375781603
I dont think they will even have the budget for that.
>>
>>375781593
Also wasnt their a public statement by 2K basically saying "dont associate us with those fucks" and even said that blunderborn was shit to begin with?
>>
>>375781304
Gearbox's did fairly well early on when they were either porting HL1 to different things or making expansion packs (they also did the Halo PC port). They had a decent amount of success with Borderlands and Borderlands 2.

It wasn't until DNF (Which to be fair I don't blame them for entirely, but some of the questionable changes made to the game to modernize it) that shit started to go downhill. The Colonial Marines bullshit coupled with Battleborn failing really hurt their reputation greatly, as well as anthony burch memes and Randy Pitchford being a obnoxious jackass.
>>
>>375782018
Can 2K terminate and replace them? As in do they have that authority?
>>
>>375779051
Their reputation was damaged.
>>
>>375782274
I don't think so (I believe they are independent and 2K is just the publisher that finances their projects), but it would not surprise me if they bought gearbox out or pulled some legal shit to get some of their properties.
>>
>>375781724
I could see 2K bailing Gearbox out on the development cost long enough to get Borderlands 3 out, and then decide what they want to do going forward depending on sales for Borderlands 3 and if it flops or not.

Hell, I think Borderlands 3 is the only thing keeping Gearbox afloat at this point, if I had to guess.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.