[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When people say a game has "aged well" what do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: morrowind_042502_04.jpg (28KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind_042502_04.jpg
28KB, 460x345px
When people say a game has "aged well" what do they mean by that?
>>
They mean that the game wasn't actually relying on technical prowess or novelty features, and that the amount or depth of the content is still satisfactory by todays standards.
>>
>>375766721

That it was actually a good game
>>375767139
>>
File: EB.png (16KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
EB.png
16KB, 512x448px
>>375766721
They mean that the selling points of the game are timeless rather than being technical benchmarks of a bygone age.
>>
>>375766721
even though it's old and has shitty graphics it's still good and playable

see:
Morrowind
Baldurs gate
Planescape torment
Age of empires 2
Deus ex
etc
>>
File: 1493752275361.png (271KB, 492x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493752275361.png
271KB, 492x480px
>>375766721
>tried i after skyrim and oblivion
>awesome experience
>>
>>375766721
They mean that the graphics are bearable.
>>
It means that it has certain aspects or an overall quality that is rarely matched or yet to be surpassed, which makes it stand out even among newer games.

Earthbound didn't age well because Mother 3 surpassed it in every way, for example.
>>
>>375767348
But earthbound isn't good by today's standards. It's much too slow. If it were 60 frames a second, and the game speed was about 1.3, maybe 1.4 times faster, it would be pretty good admittedly. Could never play it without speeding it up on my emu by 1.5.
>>
>>375767482
AoE2 is the only game in that list with tolerable gameplay.
>>
>>375767139
>satisfactory by today's standards
But the modern standard is worse and is only better when it comes to those technical aspects, and even then many games fail at that too and release poorly optimized. Compare what would be a AAA release from 1998 to one from 2012, holding old games up to modern standards is just being angry at them for actually expecting the player to have a real challenge to overcome.
>>
>>375767631
> it's much too slow

https://youtu.be/91lJhEzMaH4
>>
It means "I can play this older game without being overly intimidated by unfamiliar UI and design decisions." i.e. it's completely subjective and doesn't mean anything
>>
It means that the game was so unique that no more technically advanced title since has been able to capture or improve upon the experience.
Thief and System Shock are the two best examples of this.
>>
>>375767758
This. You have to be retarded if you think that modern standards are higher than what we had in '90s.
>>
>>375767559
Is being revolutionary a quality? I mean, Ocarina of Time has aged like a fine glass of warm milk, but that's because like you said; Games got (get) better.

And yet you'd be damned to say that OoT aged poorly, even though it absolutely has. Hell, it didn't even look particularly good when it came out.
>>
>>375766721
it means graphics and/or mechanics do not make the game a chore compared to modern QoL shit in games
>>
>>375767935
You don't mean to say you didn't enjoy Thiaf, do you anon?
>>
>>375767742
i like dnd rolls
>>
>>375768029
>Hell, it didn't even look particularly good when it came out.
You obviously weren't there. It blew our minds all over our hats.
>>
>>375766721
the artstyle might be timeless
see: Diablo 2
>>
>>375767975
But they are. Modern games are much more responsive and have better controls that older ones.
>>
>>375766721
It's when older games in the series have more depth and mechanics.
Daggerfall would be a good example if it wasn't a buggy piece of shit that barely worked.
>>
>>375768154
Not unless you're comparing it to pc shooters back then. Its graphics were considered impressed by console players though so a huge majority
>>
>>375766721
Games that have aged well are games that are as fun to play now as they were when they were released, take Duke Nukem 3D vs Wolfenstein 3D for comparison, Duke Nukem stands on its own as a great game even today where Wolfenstein 3D isn't really a good game, just a technically impressive one.

>>375767559
Is this the most meme opinion on /v/ or something? Mother 3 is a better game mechanically but the story and atmosphere is way worse than in Earthbound, Mother 3 just feels too linear for its own good, like you aren't actually exploring the world and having events unfold but you are just going where you need to and watching cinematics of characters we are expected to care about just because of their circumstances.

I still like Mother 3, but it just isn't quite as good as Earthbound, despite its game mechanics being so much better.
>>
>>375767975
Those horrible adventure games? Come on, you're either saying that out of nostalgia or comparing the best of the older game to the worst of the newer games. There were shitty games back then and there are shitty games now.
>>
>>375766721
What was acceptable at the time of release is no longer so.
>>
>>375768597
I'd argue that Wolfenstein 3D stands out today because of its simplicity, speed and straightforwardness. Games such as Doom and DN3D involve environmental traps and often even setpiece puzzles in the latter which one can see as things that just get in the way of shooting shit.
>>
>>375766721

It means the game can be played and enjoyed despite it's age, the mechanics hold well and the same fun and experience can be had by whoever experiences it for the first time.

example

Tetris aged well.

Tomb Raider aged like trash.
>>
>>375769146
Doom is pretty much a direct upgrade to Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D is just a really monotonous game, there isn't much weapon or enemy variety, the settings are mostly the same, I think if I were to play it today, I'd only really get some nostalgia value out of it because I remember playing it as a kid, but for something like Doom, the gameplay has stood the test of time and if I were to play it for the first time, I'd still enjoy it.

Even in terms of just shooting stuff, Doom still wins out because of how refined the shooting is compared to Wolfenstein 3D without any major drawbacks.
>>
>>375766721
When someone says a game aged well it means they played that game when they were younger. When they say a game didn't age well it means they never played it.
>>
>>375767139
fpbp
>>
>>375766721
That's it's fun to play by today's standards, despite technical limitations of the past.

In my latest experience, RE2 aged very well. And it wasn't nostalgia, I never played it before last year.
>>
>>375770184
lmao
>>
>>375770071
This. Just to prove the point home, see how people still play Doom actively and enjoy it, while Wolfy 3D has became more of a historical curio. W3D is just too simple and repetitive to hold any real interest today, but Doom has enough variety to compete with even more modern games, while still being simplistic enough to avoid the aging problem that many 90's shooters struggle with.
>>
>>375770071
Flat out false.

You seriously have never tried playing older games that are new to you?
>>
>>375768316
Perhaps, but that owes to the homogenisation of modern games. The quest for user friendliness and the quest to make scientifically/test focus perfect games (think Marvel and Transformer movies) has resulted in any level of depth that's off putting to be abandoned.
>>
>>375770489
Yeah I have, plenty of times, and I've found games I love from doing so, like Star Control 2 which I first played like last year, it's just sometimes there are cases where an old game was only really remarkable from a technical standpoint and later games just outclass it in every way.

I'm not going to make excuses and pretend to enjoy games for their legacy, especially when there are still games that stand the test of time and are still great independant of the effect they had on the video game industry.
>>
>>375770184
>When someone says a game aged well it means they played that game when they were younger.

I'm 33, didn't get a computer until 2005. Tried a few RTS games but never got into them.

Played Brood War for the first time ever last week and I'm completely hooked.

>here's where you change the subject and tell me starcraft sucks, I suck, etc
>>
File: psychonauts.jpg (50KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
psychonauts.jpg
50KB, 460x215px
>>375766721
that it's old enough to have sex with
pic related
>>
>>375767139
>>375766721
I disagree. I think that "having aged well" means that the game doesn't have clunky and outdated gameplay mechanics that detract from the experience, in other words, that it still plays smoothly despite being technically inferior.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.