[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So now that the dust has settled which has the best >story/characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

So now that the dust has settled which has the best
>story/characters
>gameplay
>maps

What are your hopes for FE Switch
>>
>Now that the dust has settled

Dude, Echoes wont be out in another 3 weeks.
>>
>>375711149
its already been played by many
>>
Haven't even played Echoes yet and I'm not gonna gimp myself by playing a shitty untranslated version, but Conquest will still have the best gameplay 100%.
>>
>best story and characters
Echoes
>best gameplay
Conquest
>best maps
Conquest
>>
>>375711064
>Maps
Fire Emblem IF.
>>
>>375711580
>>375711890
>>375711914
What makes IF so much better than awakening? I was thinking about picking one up
>>
>>375711064
>story/characters
Echoes
>gameplay
Conquest
>maps
Conquest

People excepting anything of Echoes gameplay wise is going to be sorely disappointed. The plot and OST is the only reason I feel compelled to finish this game.

>>375713749
Everyone not Conquest is shit, but Conquest has some of the best maps in the series and a great difficulty curve that actually increases in diffculty rather than decrease like prior games.
>>
>>375713749
A majority of the characters you can max relationship with are your brother and sister or raised you as such.
>>
>>375713749
>What makes IF so much better than awakening
In short, it fixes a lot of problems that Awakening had.

- Maps aren't trash
- Pair up is more balanced
- Reclass isn't broken
- Reinforcements don't just come out of left field and fuck your life up
- Map objectives change, so you can complete a map without having to chase units or fend off reinforcements all the damn time
- Enemies in maps aren't just standing in huge clusters, waiting to swarm you

It still has its problems, but it's a better game overall. Just ignore the story and complete wuss of a main character.
>>
File: 1489879155205.png (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489879155205.png
152KB, 640x480px
Why did everyone complain about Camilla being the fanservice character of the game when all the guys are straight up otome game stereotypes?
>Camilla is a yandere who wants to fuck the protag for no reason, she's problematic/worst girl
>meanwhile Ryoma is just as possessive as her if you play in Conquest
>At least in Japanese but some of the guys say some really lewd stuff that sound like you're listening to a BL drama CD
>Takumi's and Leo's character design and personality were based on tropes from otome games
To answer OP's question, Awakening was fun for me, I like Fates much better though. Dunno about Echoes yet.
>>
Is it true they didn't even bother trying to fix Gaiden's maps?
>>
>>375716947
Yep. Some of the maps have the same exact layout as the original.
>>
>>375711064
>story/characters
Echoes
>gameplay
Echoes
>maps
Echoes
>OST
Echoes
>FE
Echoes

Say what you will, game was fucking perfect for me. The dungeons, inventory system, battle animations, most of the maps, difficulty (Hard/Classic), characters, story, and the god damn music. Literally my perfect FE.
>>
>>375717614
I know how you feel. Echoes blew the other 3DS games out of the water for me. But even then Conquest has better maps. I don't think I'll ever play conquest again though. Progressing the first time was a slog because I couldn't get invested and if I want to play a FE with good maps then I'll just play Thracia. With Echoes I didn't mind the maps because the gameplay mechanics were really fun for me and I actually got invested in the characters and wanted to progress the story. Hell I thought some of the crazy maps like Nuibaba's and Duma's were really damn fun but not the archer house in the desert. I can't excuse that one..
>>
>>375716947
No but it's honestly fine with me.
Gaiden's maps are jank as fuck but honestly it works out considering how Gaiden plays. All the QoL stuff they added in Echoes make it even more bearable to play. Thank fuck for Mila's turn wheel.
>>
>>375716947
They even have the same retarded terrain bonuses.

Grave tiles give FUCKING 60 AVOID

THAT IS 15 TIMES THE BONUS CORRIN'S YATO GIVES

at the same time, a lot of love was put into everything that wasn't the maps.
>>
>Awakening's maps are literally worse than Hitler
>But Gaiden's maps aren't so bad
>Awakening's balancing makes it unplayable
>But Gaiden is ok

It's funny how Awakening is hated for the stupidest of reasons.
>>
>>375718589
That's why magic exists anon. That and the fact that res is shit means that even the worst mages have their uses.
>>
>>375718215
I'm glad to see some positive comments on Echoes. I've been asking around how people felt about it and they would say a lot of negative stuff without much reason why.
>>
File: 1490919258586.jpg (34KB, 275x476px) Image search: [Google]
1490919258586.jpg
34KB, 275x476px
>>375718684
Awakening doesn't really have a whole lot going for it, so yeah. The bad parts about it do stick out more. Echoes is a generally more enjoyable experience inbetween the maps, so that one's poor map design doesn't feel like as major a detriment. See Genealogy of the Holy War. Possibly some of the worst map designs, enemy setups, and unit balance in the series, but it's still beloved for literally everything else it does well, even if they're mostly plot and presentation focused.
>>
>>375711064
Conquest for all three except story.
>>
>>375718940
That's because some of it's maps are undeniably shit, and it doesn't play the same as any other Fire Emblem, so naturally there would be those that don't like it. Also people tend to join the hate bandwagon because shitting all over stuff is fun. People would be more likely to trash something for it's flaws than praising it for what it does well.
>>
>>375718684
Gaiden has unique mechanics to somewhat make up for the lackluster maps, Awakening doesn't. Awakening is also unbalanced because of the way pair up works, which is a huge thing that changes the entire game. Echoes isn't even close to being as unbalanced, at most you have a couple of classes that are better than the other ones and that's something that's true in most FEs anyway.
>>
>>375719470
Gotta be honest I can't think of a single FE game that doesn't have shit maps
>>
So, if I never played any Fire Emblem game I should pick up Conquest, is what I am getting from this thread? And avoid Awakening?
>>
>>375719865
FE has better map design than most SRPGs in general m8. The problem other SRPG fans have with FE is the RNG.
>>
File: 1484427067986.jpg (67KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1484427067986.jpg
67KB, 426x426px
>>375718940
I have no experience with Echoes proper, but I've been playing Gaiden and found it an enjoyable enough experience, to be honest. Really the biggest issue I have with it that keeps me from resuming my progress on it is the slow as hell flow of gameplay, which Echoes fixes tremendously. The maps look like complete unfun garbage when you're looking at the cherrypicked ones as an outsider, but when you actually play the game and get how battles and results tend to go in the long game, they all suddenly seem more manageable. You just have to let go of a lot of Fire Emblem conventions to be able to get into this one, which I think might be the thing that turns the most people away. Some people just don't want to think differently and only want more of whichever particular Fire Emblem they personally grew up with.
>>
>>375718940
There are still some issues I have with Echoes. Forging is kinda meh. Dungeons can go on for quite long at some points. Doubling STILL only requires only 1 more speed than your opponent but that's something I had issues with in the original Gaiden. There's a bit too much exposition if you ask me but that's because Gaiden was already really barebones in that department, which is understandable, but sometimes shit just tend to go on and on. Fatigue doesn't play that huge of a role unless you're playing on Hard and you usually have enough food to deal with it so it's more of a minor annoyance if anything.
Everything else about Echoes is pretty great though. The QoL stuff was much needed. The exposition really does tie everything together and it isn't just an Alm and Celica show when it comes time for plot. Presentation wise it's really great. The soundtrack is real good. The supports do well enough to flesh out the characters even if there aren't a huge amount. The new Chapter 6 is a lot of fun but hard as fuck, and actually retroactively improves on Awakening.
>>
I tried picking up Awakening after only having played the GBA/DS/GC games, but I got bored a while after getting the first few children. The game just wasn't compelling to me.

Should I bother playing Fates? Yes, I know I should play the SNES games.
>>
>>375719924
Conquest is not a good game for someone getting into the series because it has the worst plot in the series and can be bullshit hard at times, neither is Awakening for that matter. People will suggest it because it combines a bunch of mechanics from past games, but it doesn't get why the reason why those mechanics worked and you end up with a game that is either piss easy and broken, or broken unfair bullshit if you're playing lunatic+. Start with either Blazing Sword or Scared Stones on the GBA or Path of Radiance on the Gamecube. Although they are easy to someone experience with FE they all have a reasonable difficulty for a newcomer. You could also try Shadow Dragon on the DS, it's a remake of the first game and is ugly as hell, but you'll really start to notice all the improvements the series went through if you play it first.
>>
>>375720527
Birthright will be more of the same, Revelations has some of the worst unit balance in the series and it's maps are gimmicky as hell, Conquest is actually good, but the plot and characters are really fucking bad. So just pirate conquest.
>>
>story/characters
Awakening
>gameplay
Conquest
>maps
Conquest
>>
>>375720002
>>375720062
Mmm thank you for the info.
I haven't dug too far into Echoes yet. I need to see what classes are available.

I assume there are items to class switch and to become a master class?
>>
>>375721617
You class change though Mila's statue found in dungeons. Also it's best to class change right away instead of waiting until 20. This is because promotion bonuses work differently. Instead of adding to your stats they just raise you to the bases of the class you're promotion to. So if your character has 5 speed and the class has a base of 10 then they will get 5 more speed, but if they already have 10 or more speed then their speed stat will stay the same on promotion. Also most classes have a 3rd tier so you get to promote twice.
>>
>>375718589
Grave tiles exist in 4 maps total. One of them is the prologue, the rest are skirmish maps on chapters 2, 3 and 4 on Celica's side. They aren't really a big deal and only ever benefit the player, unless the player is braindead.
The only issue I have with the terrain is the fucking 20 bonus on all castle tiles, that's just stupid.
>>
>>375711064
So to people who've already played Echoes, any notable MVPs?
Claire and Delthea for me on Alm's route.
Surprisingly, Palla ended up being my best PegaSis and Jesse ended up being better than Saber and Kamui.
>>
>>375722993
Alm, Delthea, and Atlas were my MVPs. People might shit on Atlas for his skill and speed growths, but those two stats are only an issue if you made him into anything other than a dread fighter and you'd be braindead if you didn't pick the class that fixes his flaws.
>>
>>375722993
Sage!Kliff, Delthea, and Alm for me.
Then there's triple Dread Fighter squad with Lyon.
>>
>>375723576
I think people shit on Atlas mostly because of his low level and bases, you really don't need another villager at that point.
>>
>>375722993
Probably Alm, Mathilda and Saber
>>
>>375723882
I can see why that would bother people. I did have to do some babying after I got him after all, but it didn't take long for him to surpass my other mercs.
>>
>>375722091
Noted. I like knowing my options before I get too crazy far into the game. I'm just glad I don't have to manage kids this time.
>>
>>375717614
>Hard/Classic
There's no Lunatic or there is and it's Awakening-tier unplayable trash?
>>
>>375724995
Lunatic doesn't exist
>>
>>375724363
If you didn't know about it already then it would be a good idea to know a bit about villagers since they don't work like in the past two games. Male villagers promote into Cavalier, Mercenary, Archer, Soldier, and Mage while female villagers promote into Cavalier, Pegasus Knight, Mage, and Cleric. Male and female mages don't promote into the same classes. Males promote to sage while females promote to priestess and get swords. Also magic isn't a weapon type, characters learn spells as they level up and different characters get different spells. So even if you're using two sages they won't necessarily be interchangeable because they have different spell sets.
>>
>>375725205
Apparently dataminers found unused data for a lunatic mode. But Nintendo hasn't mentioned anything about adding it as a update or DLC and ch6 hard is already a big enough nightmare that I don't want to think about how much harder it can get without stepping into the realm of total bullshit.
>>
>>375725573
Can't you just grind the fuck out of it?
>>
>>375713749
It isn't, IF is runs on a bigger is better philosophy. The game has a ton of content but it's honestly mostly shite.

Awakening is smaller but everything there shines above and beyond IF's content
>>
>>375727405
Lmao, Awakening doesn't have a single thing going for it compared to Fates.
>>
>>375727186
Even with powered up characters it's still damned hard. The whole thing is a ten floor gauntlet with no saving in between and a superboss at the end. If you aren't totally prepared for it then you'll get Grima's huge dragon cock up your ass, that is if you can even make it to him.
>>
>>375725224
I like that better desu
Magic costs HP right?
Even more reason to have a good healer
>>
>>375727726
Well by that point Mila's Turnwheel should provide a decent enough margin of error, doesn't it?
>>
>>375728029
yeah but

healing costs hp too
>>
>>375727632
I haven't played Conquest or Revelations yet, but Awakening has at least some characters that are interesting. Birthright's characters only has uninteresting characters.
>>
Is Conquest really one of the best in the Series?
>>
>>375728208
shit well that's... interesting
>>
>>375711064
>conquest
back to red
>>
>>375728230
Conquest's cast is pretty close to Awakening in terms of personality and quirks, even if the Ricken expy is Birthright locked.
>>
>>375728137
You'd still probably want to save up as many uses as possible since it's still pretty hard even with it.
>>
>>375728029
It does, but it's not that big an issue since most spells have a low cost and the really powerful stuff would be far too broken if you could use them at no cost. Besides getting Delthea would be a nightmare if it weren't for the health cost. She starts as an enemy and you can only recruit her if she survives the map. Thing is she can teleport, move out of teleport, and will use a powerful spell on you. If magic didn't cost HP then you'd have to deal with a teleporting mage nuking the hell out of you for the whole map, but the map is actually tolerable since she stops using it after getting her HP low enough.
>>
>>375728231
Yeah, if you can stomach a story that at some points makes you want to gouge your eyes out, that is.
>>
>>375728379
It's only 1 heath so it's not too bad. Healers shouldn't be in range of the enemies in the first place.
>>
>>375728379
Well magic is pretty strong in this game. It's offset by having fixed Mt and hit rates and costing HP to cast.
Healers have access to Nosferatu but it's fixed at 60 hit so it's unreliable.
>>
>>375729143
What does "fixed mt" mean?
>>
File: 62285702_p0.png (411KB, 900x790px) Image search: [Google]
62285702_p0.png
411KB, 900x790px
Echoes have best girls in it
>>
>>375729324
palla is shit
>>
>>375729236
Fixed damage on your unit's side. Enemy Res is still a factor, but your own unit's Atk has no impact on its damage.
>>
>>375729143
It's attack power isn't fixed. Delthea wouldn't be able to nuke knights to death if it only did 3 damage.

>>375729236
Might, or attack power.
>>
>>375729620
If fire only did 3 damage*

Like with any other weapon, the attack power of the spell is added to the mage's attack.
>>
>>375729423
Why do mages have an attack stat at all then?
>>
>>375729143
>Well magic is pretty strong in this game. It's offset by having fixed Mt and hit rates and costing HP to cast.
>Healers have access to Nosferatu but it's fixed at 60 hit so it's unreliable.

Supports help with the hit rate.
>>
File: 1493686823439.png (125KB, 426x546px) Image search: [Google]
1493686823439.png
125KB, 426x546px
>>375729016
>Tfw just wanted to play revelations and not spend 60+ hours in Birthright and Conquest pairing each character with who feels right with eachother and reading all the supports slowly getting a feel for each other
>Tfw somehow spent 90+ hours in my Birthright playthrough reading everybody's supports together pairing people I liked together, but ended up really liking the story and crying when Xander died and getting that feeling when you beat a really good game that it's all over and none of the characters are real
>Tfw trying to play Conquest is gut wrenching because some of the characters are just so fucking bad compared to the Hoshido characters and the story made me want to stop playing multiple times
>Tfw end up just switching the difficulty to Normal With Phoenix mode and breezing through conquest skimming the story parts because of just how fucking bad I wanted to stop playing conquest because of the story
>Tfw learn that almost none of the support conversations in Revelations change with anybody and the 90+ hour playthrough of Birthright was just wasted and apparently Revelations story is as bad or even WORSE than Conquest's
>>
>>375729719
Guess I'm remembering things wrong then. I know that hit rate is fixed for spells outside of supports. I do know that the Levin sword is fixed at 15 Mt regardless of its wielder's attack though.
The one thing I don't really like about Echoes is the UI.
>>
>TFW Lunatic Birthright is so easy that i am soloing entire late game maps with paladin Corrin + Rinkah backpack
What were they thinking
>>
>>375730440
>tfw struggling on lunatic birthright because I'm not a turbo casual like you and I save edited my unit's base stats so that they'd become shit
>>
>>375729742
He just got it wrong. Magic works like all the other weapons so it's Mt is added onto their attack. IIRC the only magical weapon in the game that does fixed damage is the Levin sword at a whopping 15 and the wielder's attack doesn't factor in at all.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.