[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did arena fps, shmups, and fighting games die because causal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: 10013701[1].jpg (389KB, 850x1196px) Image search: [Google]
10013701[1].jpg
389KB, 850x1196px
Did arena fps, shmups, and fighting games die because causal gamers were intimidated by their difficulty?

As gaming includes more and more normalfags they get more and more casual, with lower skillgaps.

Compare modern FPS to quake, cs1.6 or UT
Compare SFV and injustice to street fighter 2 and marvel vs capcom 2

all the difficulty has been sucked out of gaming to appeal to the masses

And don't use meaningless platitudes like "they failed to evolve" without substantiating it (evolve in what way)
>>
All of e above died because the genre is inherently super repetitive, and the amount of content you could actually play is fucking minimal compared to games with a strong single player focus.
>>
>>375711624
Repetitive in what way?

I'm not talking about single player. I'm talking about as competitive multiplayer titles.
>>
>>375711624
The games are difficult and repetitive. It's that simple.
>>
>>375712392
you still have yet to tell me in which way they are any more repetitive than something like csgo or overcuck.
>>
How has the difficulty been sucked out of SFV? You can't compare it with a game like Injustice (INJUSTASS). Completely different games, in playstyle and skill level.

Tekken 7.
>>
Fighting games are also categorically embarrassing ("she kicks high") and people are more gratified to unlock guns and perks every hour or so than see everything a character might do in half an hour and then have to recombine it (usually alone) for hundreds of hours before being "not bad" with little other tangible reward than being able to make new players feel hopeless which is a forbidding introduction to something that's supposed to be fun or rewarding.

The much more complicated spaces of shooters and their "realism" also makes novelty a lot simpler, and humans love novelty.
>>
The major difference is shooters are simply controlled (move, aim, fire, fire 2) through complex external systems (maps, rules, teams, weapons, economy, perks, variable physics, environment hazards, etc) rather than complex control in a simple space.

A bad fps player has a lot more tools to overcome the skill gap (element of surprise or a teammate assist) and feel skillful than a bad fighting game player.
>>
>Quake was so good wah

Listen, people pogoing around looked fucking retarded. It facilitated entertaining gameplay but was so dumb looking it's no wonder everyone moved away from it.
>>
File: 1484863891826.png (384KB, 800x1374px) Image search: [Google]
1484863891826.png
384KB, 800x1374px
>>375713956

This. Scrubs getting lucky kills on high level players is much more common in FPS than fighters because 1 wrong decision can kill you in an FPS.

Meanwhile it takes like 3 bad decisions minimum in most high risk/high-reward fighters like mahvel or SFV.

In KOF depending on resources 1 bad decision can cost you ~90% of your health.
>>
>>375712746
No arcade mode and the "story" mode can be beaten by a baby. Literally.
>>
>>375712746
it's simplified: no defensive options, input barriers like 1f links and plinking removed, terrible range on normals, bad walkspeeds- which ruins the neutral game and overall casualizes it

>>375713956
in a modern fps yes, but not in a game like quake or UT
>>
>>375714819

>input barriers like 1FL and plinking removed

Eh, no one cares about shit like that. Directional inputs should be the only appreciable barrier.

I'm not against 1FL but games don't need them to be good. SFIV in general was garbage past Super and was chock full of them. 3s had only a few that were non-vital to learn and that was a way better game. Plinking is a cool technique I still use in 3s but DESU I'd rather not have to use it.

>terrible range on normals

This. Urien especially feels so fucking stubby. That back-dash is horrendous. He looks like a crab with parkinson's.

>bad walkspeeds

This wouldn't be so noticeable if certain characters just didn't have amazing dashes. Leaves characters with bad dashes and no walkspeed looking like they don't even have functioning knee-caps.
>>
Games are made to be sold, not played.
/thread
>>
>>375715929
Oh, yeah, they sure made a great work with SFV when it comes to sales too.
>>
>>375710742
Fighting games died in the US when arcades started completely drying up.
>>
>implying old games that took specific autistic skills to be good at weren't usually like that because of engine constraints, horribly designed UIs, bug oversights and overall spaghetti code
>>
File: house of casuals 3.png (30KB, 1091x343px) Image search: [Google]
house of casuals 3.png
30KB, 1091x343px
>>375716392

/v/ is the new scrubquotes
>>
>>375710742
>it's a /v/ pretends to be good a vidya episode
>>
>>375717102
being good at video games is for autismos
>>
>>375717102
The only time I played with /v/ and they weren't complete shit was in Age of Empires. Why is /v/ so bad at most games?
>>
>>375712501
both of those games give you rewards for playing, it doesn't matter if you're good or not. you'll get a nice hat anyway.

traditional arena fps and fighting games don't have that, the only reward is you improving.

that's why you'll always see cosmetics and level-ups in modern games, because otherwise you'd reach the skill ceiling in a month and call it a day.
>>
>>375717551
You need to play video games to be good at them.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.