[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does it keep anyone else up at night knowing we'll never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

does it keep anyone else up at night knowing we'll never know his true intentions, who he represents or what his role is in the overarching plot? or why he looks human, or why he was talking to Odessa on Highway 17?

It's been nearly 10 years now since episode 2, and I still find myself thinking about this game all the time.
>>
File: 1465531613155.jpg (26KB, 303x323px) Image search: [Google]
1465531613155.jpg
26KB, 303x323px
>>375694936
but that's why he's a cool character?

Imagine if in HL2 he just starts the game by explaining everything up front in a big long 10 minute cutscene with a pre rendered montage of events that happened between HL1 and HL2.

He wouldn't be a cool character anymore. He'd be barely memorable exposition guy.

The reason the Gman is so interesting, is because he speaks almost in code, and doesn't really give anything away. Nobody is even really sure if he's real or an alien illusion or a hallucination.

It's called constraint. If you want to write an interesting character, you exercise the right amount of constraint to keep them interesting but never reveal them. Laidlaw understands this, and even in a HL3, the Gman wouldn't be revealed
>>
>>375694936
We'll never know what this thing is
>>
Chances are the guy who wrote that didn't know for sure either.

He was going to come up with something for HL3 but evidently that never went anywhere so maybe he didn't even finish writing his idea. Even if he did, he may have re-done it in his mind time and time again until, today, he no longer cares either.
>>
>>375695197
I did have that thought as well, but what would happen when the war is over? Would he pay you? Introduce you to the benefactors? I agree Laidlaw is a genius and I wouldn't doubt his writing, but I just feel like there's so many unanswered questions and so many loose ends that need to be wrapped up, even if not all of the questions get answered. It's so unfair.

I am wholeheartedly in with the idea that you ARE Freeman, and you only get to see what he sees and hear what he hears, making it essentially his story, but you'd think Gordon would eventually want to be clued in as to why he is the only person in the world that can topple an alien regime.

I suppose it isnt G-Man i'm upset about, just the general fact that we'll never know how the whole story wraps up for Gordon. And now that the time gap is even farther than the distance between Half Life 1 and 2, it's looking less and less likely.
>>
File: Movie_HL.jpg (1MB, 1920x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Movie_HL.jpg
1MB, 1920x1600px
seeing as HL3 is confirmed and there is also a movie. im sure we will find out eventually
>>
>>375695482
please do not fucking remind me about JewJew Abraham's incoming trainwreck of the Valve franchise. I'm already upset enough as it is.
>>
>>375695304
is that real concept art? ive never seen it
>>
>>375695482
f-fake and gay
>>
>>375695616
Yeah it was apart of a batch of art that came out years ago.

Supposed to be something in xen or another dimension
>>
File: 1477022386047.jpg (27KB, 721x470px) Image search: [Google]
1477022386047.jpg
27KB, 721x470px
Episode 2 will be 10 (ten) years old in October.
>>
He's future Gordon Freeman who learned to talk. That was the original intention, but fans figured it out, so they went
>h-ha ha no that's stupid...
>>
>>375695304
>>
The opening scene of HL2 is pure kino.
>>
File: 1465446883205.jpg (75KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
1465446883205.jpg
75KB, 440x660px
>>375695751
>>
>>375695197
Obviously giving everything away at once ruins the appeal but if you never show his intentions you reach Bloodborne level of ambiguity where everyone feels blue balled and unsatisfied. We don't need to know his social security number, just what who he works for and what his end game is.
>>
File: HL_Gman.jpg (193KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
HL_Gman.jpg
193KB, 1280x800px
>>375695986
>The G-Man
>G-Man
>G-
>G
>Gordan
>Gordan Freeman

how did I not think of this theory before
>>
It doesn't matter since HL2 ignored HL1 anyway. A hypothetical HL3 would just ignore HL2.
>>
>>375696460
... what?

>HL2 ignored HL1
>literally the entire plot is derived from the events of the first game, including characters and the entire resistance movement

honestly how did you even come to this conclusion?
>>
He's deus ex machina the char. It doesn't matter what his "motives" are. He's just there to move the plot with ease in whatever direction the writers want. His powers are pretty much limitless which is boring as fuck. The Gman was a mistake.
>>
>>375696597
we're talking about a world in which an alien race enslaved another alien race to use as cannon fodder in taking over the human race. I don't know if it's really that much of a far fetched idea for scifi. There's nothing out there saying his powers are limitless, we really don't know anything. We know he can teleport, put Gordon into stasis, and talk to Gordon, but that's about it. I mean nobody's ever walked up to him and tried to put a bullet in his forehead or anything. who knows

i mean yeah he's definitely in there to help advance the plot, but without him Gordon wouldve died from that nuke in black mesa, or been stuck in Xen forever.
>>
>>375695197
to be pedantic, it's more like restraint. constraint is being unable to, restraint is choosing not to.

>>375696597
the vorts clearly have some power similar to or greater than his own, so he's not undefeatable, they are just not willing or able to stop him.
>>
FULLY
>>
>>375696989
>that's about it
You are forgetting the whole pop whenever the fuck he wants and freeze time to alter unwanted events act. He was somewhat tolerable in HL1, but in HL2 the joke gets old.
>>
>>375694936
I havent thought about, or cared about the half-life series in many years. If they came out and announced HL3 at E3, I still wouldnt care.
>>
>>375697376
that's fine, this thread isnt for you then. it stuck with some of us more than it did others. It's probably my favorite video game of all time, but you don't have to like it.
>>
>>375697464
The reason it stuck with people is because it was their first real games outside of mario and kiddie shit, its a fair dose of nostalgia. The games were linear as fuck, and short as fuck. They had some cool shit, the gravity gun was fun, but they all end up being repetitive.
>>
>>375695482
Black Gordon Freeman confirmed.
Now who will play him? Jamie Foxx or Denzel Washington?
>>
It's been confirmed that Valve does not want to release Half Life 3 because it would be too much effort for something that would be straight up disappointing
>>
>>375697714
What exactly is wrong with linearity or shorter games?
>>
>>375696165
this
>>
>>375697882
that doesnt explain all their other series they've just tossed aside

the actual explanation is MICRO-TRANSACTIONS
>>
>>375697981

In Half Life 2, the unskippable pseudocutscenes are annoying.

Besides that,.absolutely nothing.
>>
>>375697286
FUNCTIONING
>>
E3.

That's all I'm gonna say.
>>
>>375697714
I love how some underaged faggot comes in every thread discussing an older game with this shit. No one who actually played HL1 on release would complain about it being linear. FPS games were always linear, and still are.

These games were critically acclaimed at the time, and the fuckers writing the reviews were a little more legit, and certainly not 14.

Not my favourite game, seeing as I don't like FPS games much in general, but it's the same shit no matter what <2005 game gets posted.
>>
>>375698135
Only underage faggots start crying about the opinions of others and reply with a novel's worth of butthurt.
>>
>>375697981
>What exactly is wrong with linearity or shorter games?
When i pay full price for a game, I kinda like the thing to be longer than an hour or two with shit to do in it instead of the same shit again and again.
>>
>>375697882
this was never confirmed, just some guy who claimed to have insider info.

>>375697714
you have to be at least 18 to post here.

>>375698124
dont you dare
>>
>>375698435
>4 sentences is a novel
How's elementary?
>>
>>375698532

Lucky for you the only half life games which were short were also dirt cheap expansion packs/episodes
>>
>>375698135
>No one who actually played HL1 on release would complain about it being linear
Uh... Yes they would, seeing as other games released at the same time had far more content, werent linear at all, and werent over in a short period of time.
>>
>>375698682
Name an FPS game from that time that's not linear.

Or did you somehow miss the sentence where I talked about FPS games being linear?
>>
>>375698582
>you have to be at least 18 to post here
Protip: Those who rattle this off are the underage ones.
>>
>>375694936
I want a vacation.

A vacation to Hawaii or somewhere nice.

This doesn't fucking look like Hawaii, I WAS FUCKING ROBBED.
>>
>>375698716
>Protip: Those who rattle this off are the underage ones.
Quick heads up: anyone who posts this is definitely underage.
>>
>>375698712
>Waaaaaa other FPS were linear, so that makes it ok
Wew
>>
>>375698864
Tbqh famalams, only children get mad at the opinions of others like this kid.
>>
File: gaben over time.jpg (68KB, 1024x346px) Image search: [Google]
gaben over time.jpg
68KB, 1024x346px
HL3 is coming goyim, soon. now just buy more dota 2 cosmetics and csgo gun skins pls
>>
>>375698867
>>Waaaaaa
>Not my favourite game, seeing as I don't like FPS games much in general
>Implying I mind you calling it shit
It just pains me to know there are people out there that are this retarded.
>>
>>375698741
Ross is the best. I hope he goes through with Freemans Mind 2. Hilarious shit
>>
>>375694936
Not really, I look forward to HL3 when it eventually releases as a VR flagship thing probably, but I've come to accept it might never happen.
>>
>>375696571
>literally the entire plot is derived from the events of the first game, including characters and the entire resistance movement
No, the entire plot is derived from retcons and antagonists that Valve pulled out of their ass at the last minute.

The only "character" in HL2 that approaches being from HL1 is Barney, but even then he never met Gordon and he's from Blue Shift, not HL1. Kleiner and Vance are just loosely based off of the "bald old guy scientist" and "black scientist" models from HL1, and it makes zero sense that they would have been able to escape Black Mesa what with the military shooting the place up and all of the various hostile alien life forms.
>>
>>375698951
It tickles me knowing there are kids out there that easily get severe tuchus turmoiled when you disagree with their views on their most precious games
>>
>>375695640
its not fake, you can google it yourself, retard
>>
>>375699117
Pains me to know people think this constitutes as good baiting nowadays.
>>
>>375698949
No it aint, Gluttonous Gabe himself said they werent gonna make anymore and no one wants to listen. But go ahead and keep Steam installed and keep purchasing those games.
>>
>>375699232
nobody has any hope left. everyone used to wildly anticipate Valve being at E3 and now you never see that anymore. Episode 2 is a DECADE old. its all over.
>>
>>375699095
what were you hoping for, "bald old guy scientist" and "black scientist" to make their comeback instead? the technology wasn't really there to make memorable characters in that game, of course there had to be a couple creative liberties taken. The point is not the characters, it's the fact that the entire plot moved forward from the events that took place. Aliens invaded, the world went to war, the combine took over because of the rift that Gordon made in the very beginning.

not saying the writing is flawless, but a few new characters is not "ignoring" the first game.
>>
>>375698996
>I hope he goes through with Freemans Mind 2

He said in the April vlog that he was going to, that it wasn't a April Fools gag, but his next series.

Personally I'd really like to do more Game Dungeons, that is what really sold me to Accursed Farms.
>>
>>375699457
>what were you hoping for, "bald old guy scientist" and "black scientist" to make their comeback instead?
I was hoping that Valve wouldn't retcon characters into the sequel since that's shitty writing.

>the technology wasn't really there to make memorable characters in that game, of course there had to be a couple creative liberties taken.
All of the technology that was there was used to spotlight the real main character of HL1: Black Mesa. The setting was the focal point.

>it's the fact that the entire plot moved forward from the events that took place.
No, the "plot" moved forward with asspull antagonists in the Combine that were never seen nor heard of in HL1. HL2 is pretty much an entire different fucking universe due to how fast and loose it is with anything from HL1 and how it's set in a completely generic Eastern European country with a 1984-esque oppressive regime.
>>
Just make more sidestories, don't have to use the gordon main series release
>>
>>375694936
He was Gordon Freeman from the future, right?
>>
>>375696989
>and talk to gordon

And eli. Dont forget Eli.
He's their mutual friend.
>>
>>375695482
>jew jew abrams to direct
IT'S DEAD

LMAO!!!
>>
>>375695482
>inb4 Black Gordon Freeman
>>
File: 140155807722031.jpg (93KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
140155807722031.jpg
93KB, 800x450px
>>375695482
>Be JarJar Abrahms
>desperately struggle to find some franchise to exploit that has a mixed female character that also appeals to the reddit demographic
>hear about portal
>>
I already have a lot of shit keeping me up at night, I don't need Valve's goddamn fuckery to bother me too.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.