[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase this. Should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_1916.jpg (177KB, 464x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1916.jpg
177KB, 464x640px
I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase this. Should I spend my monies or continue playing issac?
>>
Or should I buy hyper light drifter instead?
>>
It's really not a lot like issac, most importantly no synergies. Unless you really like bullet hells with a dodge roll mechanic I would stay away. The guns are generally shit and damage caps on bosses means it's ALWAYS a slog no matter how good your gun is. Did not enjoy it personally.
>>
Gungeon is bad
>>
dont
>>
enter the bullet spongeon is more like it

i liked nuclear throne better
>>
>>375693442
this
>>
>>375693415
It's not a bad game but this >>375693720
Half of the game time you spend killing easy bullet sponges.
>>
>enemies have too much HP
sasuga /v/
>>
>>375693664
So that's why I never enjoyed the bosses, couldn't put my finger on it before.

@OP - If it's cheap I'd say give it a go, I've got over 15 hours from a game that's $15 without a sale. Would also recommend Nuclear Throne like >>375693720.
>>
>>375693664
The new content update added some synergies actually
>>
Is issac better? I can easily save my money and have loads of fun continuously with issac so if it's not worth it then I'll just continue with what I have.
>>
>>375694272
They are very different games. I like it but if I were you I'd get Nuclear Throne.
>>
>>375694272
I would say issac is better than gungeon yes. But they were trying different things honestly. Gungeon just does not have the replay value of issac imo. Your runs will feel very similar give or take finding a decent gun whereas in issac you can become a unstoppable god or be compleatly impotent depending on your luck. Only good I have to say about gungeon is I enjoyed the puns and the music was alright.
>>
>>375694272
If getting overpowered builds is what you like about Isaac, you won't find it in EtG. It's also slower paced. In Isaac the point is that your character's power level grows exponentially and reaches crazy heights, in EtG it's more of a linear curve and never gets crazy.

To me that just means the game isn't fun, and I'd rather fire up Isaac any day. Got 318 hours in classic+Rebirth and 16 hours in EtG.
>>
>>375694272
Personally I like Gungeon more. The references make me groan, but I like the bullet hell shit over getting OP synergies while trudging through a disgusting newgrounds aesthetic.
>>
>>375693442
hyper light drifter is way better
>>
>>375693415

Gungeon is a very polished game (spritework, sound design, content, etc.), surprisingly. Too bad it's shit where it counts aka its gunplay. Seriously, how do you make a game about whacky, powerful guns have shit gunplay?
>>
>>375693415
I got 60 hours out of it and I still load it up from time to time. It is worth fifteen American dollars at your nearest online videogame retailer.
>>
>>375693415
Risk of Rain is better than either of those
>>
>>375693415
It's good. Worth the purchase.
>>
File: dragun.webm (3MB, 584x328px) Image search: [Google]
dragun.webm
3MB, 584x328px
>>375693415
Be ready to git gud, also guns are there to be used so don't come complaining that you can't use the same gun for your entire run. You need to figure out what are your floor clearing guns, your boss guns and your 1 hit/swap guns.
>>
>>375693935
Bandages to an amputated limb at this point.

If you're looking for a Shmup with some Roguelite aspects, maybe it's for you. But IMO both ends only get in the way of the other. The Roguelite, ammo and key deprivation hurt the shmup aspects since it's basically you sticking with your basic for most fights. The stuff listed in >>375693664 gets in the way of the Roguelite aspects really mattering. Ugly game design carried by pretty paint.
>>
I didn't enjoy it. Game is way too fucking stingy with variations, there should be more things happening on different floors, but most of the time you'll be encountering all the same shit.
My impressions are based on initial release, so maybe it's better now, but I also hated how little keys you got, there being no indication if chest had passive item or gun, and most of the guns being jokes that didn't really do shit after being amusing for few shots.
>>375693804
They do. It doesn't help that enemies gain more HP as you progress, so if you get same enemy spawns in first and third floors, you're gonna spend way more time third floor room. And it makes you even harder on the ammo.
>>
One thing I hated about SHMUP part is that camera locks to your character, and lots of time rooms are so large that enemies from outside your view will be taking shots at you. It's a minor annoyance, but I really prefer it when you can see everything important at once in shooters. Dragun is the stand out boss because the camera actually zooms out there.
Not really fan of tables being cluttered with items either. If you're wielding a gun without piercing, it's annoying how often the shot stops at some prop that was on table or just on the ground, when they have no function other than bring visual flair to world. This happens way too often with something like Crossbow.
>>
File: 1480409452620.jpg (200KB, 1600x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1480409452620.jpg
200KB, 1600x1150px
>>375697618
dead game
>>
>>375698339
At least it has an option for online multiplayer. Were Isaac and Gungeon never alive in the first place?
>>
My problem with this game is that most of the time you're going to be using your sidearm since weapon drops are shit in this game.
There are so many of them and so many of them are useless or just become obsolete by the second or third floor.
>>
>>375694392
>>375693720
nuclear throne is actually shit though.
>>
>>375699385
You shouldn't be using your sidearm past the second floor.
>>
>>375699709
Should I be using the watergun or the nail gun that the game decided to bless me with instead?
>>
Just pirate it and try it out, then buy it?
>>
>>375699772
You're making it sound worse than it actually is, you should have 2-4 guns on top of your sidearm by the end of floor two, I never had a run where my sidearm was still the best option at that point, you're just crippling yourself.
>>
File: Rebel.jpg (807KB, 1754x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Rebel.jpg
807KB, 1754x2048px
>>375693415
Why not Nuclear Throne?
>>
>>375699772
Both are better than sidearm and more ammo drops if you use finite ammo weapons.
>>
>>375693415
It's honestly just a boring slog fest. There's very few damage upgrades in the entire game and generic enemies get more and more health for every floor you clear. Bosses have health that scales according to your DPS as well.
>>
>>375699910
>extreme advertising
>year of our lord plus two thousand and seventeen

Cause the game is shit
>>
>>375699560
>>375700605
Feel free to elaborate
>>
NO
CO-OP

How do you fuck this up so badlym
>>
>>375693415
>Should I spend my monies or continue playing issac?
Always choose the third option. Pirate it. At least before buying.
>>
>>375700709
>spelunky
>isaac
>nuclear throne
>gungeon
...huh you're right. Well now I want a roguelite with invasion/summon mechanics. That would be super fun.
>>
>>375700654
>blatantly awful hitboxes for added difficulty
>spawn in an area and instantly die to car explosions
>bottom wall texture can cover enemies
>took them a year keep you from spawning in an island with no way of reaching enemies
>still happens
>boss random suicides that can ruin a run just because of rng
>god-awful sound and effects
>screen shake on by default
>gun spawns make or break the game
>outline pixel art looks terrible
>required perks, half are useless, half are necessary, more rng bullshit
>fpd drops at the weirdest time
I 100% it and watched a lot of streams, but runs getting instantly ruined by rng is not fun
>>
>>375701273
Also 30fps lock and the devs crying about gamergate when people say it's a problem
>>
>>375701273
tl;dr: Most of these complaints are superficial and this post is a pretty shallow analysis of the game.

>blatantly awful hitboxes for added difficulty
lmao they're squares, they're accurate. I don't want to say git gud, but next you'll complain about the hitboxes in Super Mario Bros.
>spawn in an area and instantly die to car explosions
This happens? This has never happened to me and I've not seen footage. Must've been patched out. Or it's a 1-in-a-billion chance thing
>bottom wall texture can cover enemies
How often does this occur for you? Really? You're pulling shit out of your ass.
>took them a year keep you from spawning in an island with no way of reaching enemies
Ok
>still happens
If you say so. You're probably more likely to get crushed to death by a vending machine though.
>boss random suicides that can ruin a run just because of rng
Bosses explode when they die. It's very very telegraphed. Get behind cover.
>god-awful sound and effects
The sound design is pretty good. The weapon switch noise is determined by what ammo type the weapon is, bullets all have a nice weight to them, dinging enemies with melee weapons is satisfying.
>screen shake on by default
This is how people should know to discard your opinions. "The screenshake, ugh, it's on.... by default!! UGH! How can I deal?!"
>gun spawns make or break the game
Maybe for the first 10 hours before you can make it to 7-3.
>outline pixel art looks terrible
The art's easy to read, good contrast, palette choices are pleasant, designs are cute. Is this what you mean by "elaborate?"
>required perks, half are useless, half are necessary, more rng bullshit
Useless? Depends on what character you play. Necessary? Don't treat them like a clutch please. RNG? Stop picking the crown of destiny ffs.
>fpd drops at the weirdest time
What's an FPD? Could it relate to having bad hardware? Because I haven't encountered FPD drops.

>>375701357
30fps lock is bad but it's not gamebreaking.
>>
>>375693415
Nuclear throne is infinitely better
>>
>>375701273
Sounds like you can't accept that you are bad at videogames. Also boohoo rng in a roguelike, whatever next
>>
>>375700529
>Bosses have health that scales according to your DPS as well.
bosses only have a damage cap that limits the amount of damage you can do in a very small timeframe, ie. super-powerful combos won't work. Which is pretty shit, but doesnt apply 99% of the time
>>
Nuclear Throne is superior in terms of actually having fun gameplay.

30 FPS cap is annoying but not a big dead in the end.
>>
is this a rogue like, rouge lite thread? can we talk about deathstate? it was pretty good.
>>
>>375693415
Skill based, but at the same time you really need at least some decent drops in order to finish even standard run, due to some design choices you will rarely powerlevel like in Isaac. I would really recommend it only if you want a game with ton of different guns, some of the stuff is pretty cool imo.
>>375693720
It's both shit and needed, shit because some enemies become way too resilient, but needed because otherwise with a semi good items you can absolutely wipe the floor with enemies who have whopping 20 hp.
>>
>>375697709
Holy shit. That looks fun as fuck.
Kinda regret it now I didn't get it when it was at 50% a couple of months ago.
>>
File: dragun desperation.webm (3MB, 584x328px) Image search: [Google]
dragun desperation.webm
3MB, 584x328px
>>375705447
>>
>>375693804
It's just not satisfying. In Isaac nothing goes up in health, but you get to face a load of new enemies, but in Gungeon the same enemy you saw 2 floors prior, now has more HP and it just feels like a giant slog.

Plus most of the time it's a battle against ammunition, when the guns are not even that good, and the buffs are not that great. The game pacing is just slow as fuck and kills the enjoyment quick.
>>
>>375693442
hld was really shitty and disappointing. gungeon is good, but it is closer to traditional bullet hell than isaac. it's about dodging bullets, not getting a run with "dank synergies"
>>
game sux
>>
>>375693804
we're in the era of shitty casual neo /v/, what did you expect?
>>
File: nani the fuck.jpg (80KB, 417x600px) Image search: [Google]
nani the fuck.jpg
80KB, 417x600px
>All of these patches and 90% of the guns are still shit
>>
>>375693415
>I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase this. Should I spend my monies or continue playing issac?
It's GOTY 2016. Don't get it if you're bad at video games, impatient, or get frustrated easily.
>>
>>375693442
HLD was a huge disappointment for me. EtG is decent and could have been very good with less RNG, it also has much better replayability if you re strapped for cash (though you could just pirate both).
>>
>>375693804
They truly do.

It wouldn't be so bad if they enemies didn't gain MORE health every floor.

Those little bullet fucks take 3 shots to kill at first, then 4, then 5 and so on. This would be fine if the guns and passives weren't absolutely useless most of the time.
>>
>>375693442
With the updates it's much better. Before it was only 30fps.
>>
File: IMG_0718.jpg (51KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0718.jpg
51KB, 460x215px
Post fun roguelites
>>
File: Dungeon_of_the_Endless_Logo.jpg (72KB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon_of_the_Endless_Logo.jpg
72KB, 500x256px
>>375707943
>>
File: 1458353299098.jpg (30KB, 326x339px) Image search: [Google]
1458353299098.jpg
30KB, 326x339px
>>375705719
Ehhh, that one is just lame.
>>
File: 1459495415832.jpg (81KB, 521x433px) Image search: [Google]
1459495415832.jpg
81KB, 521x433px
>>375707943
>Fun
>A fucking grindfest
>Play through the first boss, you've seen it all

They literally didn't learn a thing from Mercernary Kings. Good thing I pirated it first, fell for the Merc Kings meme, they ain't going to get me the second time.
>>
>>375708762
Oh jesus

Why do you have to remind everyone of that luke warm metal slug 'clone'
>>
>>375693415
Play Nuclear Throne instead
>>
>>375708859
Why are you nuclear throne fans so goddamn obnoxious?
>>
I was gonna buy Nuclear Throne until i learned the devs gave up on the game and joined some leftist parade.
Enter the gungeon is just shit though.
>>
>>375693415
FTL is the only one I felt like replaying over and over. helps you can feel more and more powerful in FTL, but in gungeon everything just keeps getting more and more HP while you still have the same gun you had 2 floors ago with little to no buffs to change it
>>
>>375708859
>Play shitty abandonware
don't make this mistake
>>375708918
>Why are you nuclear throne fans so goddamn obnoxious?
their shit ass game got abandoned so there is nothing left to do but shitpost
>>
>>375708957
What lol? The game is finished and had been fully released. If the devs stopped working on it it would be becauase they are done? Also why tf do you care about the political beliefs of a games creators if they arent shoving them down your throat. Its not like the final boss is evil donald trump or something.
>>
>>375693415
To be honest? No.

There are no fun items like in Isaac. There are no interesting passives, and the guns are mostly just "shoot gooder". Enemies can take too many hits, especially on lower floors. You're incredibly dependent on keys and coins to not spend literally 10 minutes on frustrating bosses, and whether you get them is super random. You're not even guaranteed decent items on the first floor. You often get two of the lowest tier chests (wood<blue<green<red<black), which universally contain trash.

It's an exercise in frustration.

Oh, and did I mention that the hitboxes are shit? It's a bullet hell where bullets can hit outside your sprite. Go figure.
>>
Gungeon is a blast, honestly. I've played nuclear throne, binding of isacc and Gungeon to death, and honestly Gungeon wins out for me in the end.
For those who say that items don't don't have synergy in Gungeon, have you actually played the game? So many combos of the passive items quickly make the game almost broken, and super fun.
>>
>>375710246
>So many combos of the passive items
Too bad you get synergies literally 1/10 runs. This coming from someone who consistently gets to the Forge every run.
>>
>>375693415
Buy it. It's a fun game. Nuclear Throne is a 1/4th of the game this is.
>>
File: 1465547510758.png (447KB, 603x458px) Image search: [Google]
1465547510758.png
447KB, 603x458px
>>375708762
>Mercernary Kings
It should've been good

People who use Paul Robertson's art for evil should be dragged out into the street and shot.
>>
File: luna child.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
luna child.png
1MB, 1280x960px
>>375693415
THEY ARE ALL SHIT. I BEAT THE SECRET BOSS IN GUNGEON, HAVE 1K HOURS IN ISAAC AND I AM WRITING ALL CAPS. TRUST ME I KNOW.
>>
>>375709546
There's actually a bug for a few versions now where you can't change controls. I want to pick up weapons with space and switch with shift but the game manages to screw that up somehow.
It doesn't delete the last hotkey assigned when you change.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.