[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surely some of you people have heard of Freespace. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 256px-Freespace1box.jpg (19KB, 256x317px) Image search: [Google]
256px-Freespace1box.jpg
19KB, 256x317px
Surely some of you people have heard of Freespace. It's an old game with a fantastic modding community that keeps the game pretty much up to date for the past decade or so. However, the main problem is that the community is rather small and we desperately need more people in order to grow the community up to the big leagues. Therefore this thread will be dedicated to the discussion of this game.

-A self proclaimed Hard Light Productions Ambassador
>>
Both Freespace 1 and 2 are in my top ten games of all time.
>>
played it quite a bit back when I had a joystick
the genre is pretty niche and people move onto elite/star citizen etc
>>
>>375690273
Holy shit, haven't played this in years. I probably still have a copy somewhere at my parents house.
>>
>>375690273
When I was a kid, we got our second PC, and it came with three burned games. Halo CE, Playboy: The Mansion and Freespace 2.

I played through Freespace 2 dozens of times, the nebulae mission where you encounter the Shivans for the first time is burned into my fucking memory as one of the most immersive and tense experiences I've ever played.

I didn't realise it was a fucking demo copy until just a few years ago. Downloaded the GoG version and played it...fuck I don't remember if I played the entire thing, I think it had a bunch of mod campaigns bundled in, and it was all fantastic.

I would fucking kill for a Freespace 3.
>>
>this is somehow not considered shilling
>>
>>375691952
It's only considered shilling when it's a game we're supposed to hate. Haven't you got the memo?
>>
I'm mainly waiting for Fate of the Galaxy and more content for Diaspora.

Any recommendations for excellent vanilla-style gameplay campaigns that focus on good mission design such as The Procyon Insurgency?
>>
javascript:quote('375692304')
Hm, if you don't mind rather stale gameplay that is in place of fantastic plot, then maybe Transcend or Sync. Derelict is also a very interesting one.
>>
>>375691952
He said it was shilling though. You chose to keep posting, that ain't his fault
>>
File: 1459457248139.png (192KB, 480x416px) Image search: [Google]
1459457248139.png
192KB, 480x416px
did they get voice acting into Blue Planet 2 yet?
>>
>>375690273
What are some good mods for it? Wasnt completely sold on vanilla due to several flaws.
>>
Nigga freespace (1 and 2) are both some of my fav games of all time.

Such a great concept, a massive km+ long alien ship appears out of nowhere and is moving towards earth.

You finally kill it.

Freespace 2 comes.

Humans have built a giant several KM long ship and have a huge force

legit like 1000 of those alien ships appear out of nowhere

blow up the motherfucking SUN
>>
>>375692514
Derelict put me off right away with all its lengthy cutscenes. I just want straight up gameplay all the time. From what I can tell, Transcend and Sync are the same if not worse.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Transcend#Player_Comments

>Transcend plays almost identical to Sync, which means that if you're wanting to have fun playing a space warfare simulator, Transcend will disappoint you. However, if you're looking for an interesting and at parts Twilight Zone-ish story, then you're going to enjoy this. Ngtm1r's comment above is accurate--Transcend tries to tell a story with FreeSpace as a medium; not give you great gameplay. The story telling is great in that regard. My problem still lies with me wanting Transcend to be a game and not just a short story told by cut-scenes.

Fuck that noise.
>>
>>375690625
Freespacer / wing commander / privateer / freelancer guy here.

Was down with Star Citizen since literally day 1 of the original fundraising campaign.

Gave them 300 bucks.

Been following it off and on.

Had such great hype and idea of what it could be back then.

It is very obvious now that the main features for such a game (persistant world, no stupid glitches, smooth gameplay) will never come true.

Sad but hopefully they will fucking make something worth playing by 2020, they got too caught up in the small details, I don't give a fuck if i can count the number of atoms inside a ships rail gun, or if my characters have fully designed 4k textures on their fucking retinas.

I WANT A FUCKING GAME TO PLAY
>>
javascript:quote('375692719')
(I never grew accustomed to the quoting system)

That really depends on what you're looking for. If you like a great balance between plot and Gameplay, I'd suggest Derelict and Blue Planet. If you want something straight up silly and not serious, go for Just Another Day. If you like anime, Wings of Dawn might be your cup of tea. There's also a Star Wars and a Homeworld mod.
>>
>>375690273
The definition of nostalgia for me
>>
>>375691952
shilling only works for games still being actively sold by manufacturer
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.