[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is your game progress /v/? what do you mean you gave up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 477
Thread images: 98

File: oh ye.png (53KB, 890x400px) Image search: [Google]
oh ye.png
53KB, 890x400px
Watch this if you're feeling you can't go on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
>>
a better question is why I haven't killed myself yet
>>
My game is 10 inches long.
>>
I'm learning javascript, will it take too long for me to start gaming?
>>
File: runner021.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
runner021.webm
1MB, 640x360px
It's going pretty well.
Working on the 2nd miniboss for the first level. He had a phase where you shot his shield off, but it dragged the fight out too much.

Never give up anons, put your mind to something and you will accomplish it, come hell or high water. I believe in you!
>>
File: Shitty water.webm (79KB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty water.webm
79KB, 533x300px
Made some water with sine waves. The code is pretty basic right now.
>>
>>372755993
I have a 4 inch feminine game
>>
How come there are never any good 3d action indie games.
>>
>>37275629
really like the atmosphere, gives me a feeling of metroid/axiom verge
>>
>>372757475
meant for >>372756292
>>
Godot is weird.
>>
>>372755443
>no source
rude
>>
>>372756660
RUINER looks incredible. Downward looks cool too. You just have to look harder.
>>
>>372756149

if you are interested in the programming aspect of game development, learn concepts, algorithms and method of how to do shit people has done before.

If you just want to do it for making your game, learn a more relevant language that will make you create something (java, python, C++, etc)
>>
>>372756660

I wonder this too, I though pixel shit is harder, more time consuming than a simple lowpoly game.
>>
>>372758434
Lowpoly is still difficult to do well.
>>
File: runner022.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
runner022.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>372757602
Thanks anon. We're trying to do a Metalic Rose/Patlabor/80's and 90's anime scifi kinda feel, and I think it's working alright so far.
>>
>>372756610
Pretty cool, but it would look better if the splashes didnt look like sound waves when something entered the water
>>
Reminder not to respond to /agdg/ crossposters.
>>
File: NanosteamInventoryFinalNA.webm (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
NanosteamInventoryFinalNA.webm
3MB, 1600x900px
Inventory is finally finished (minus description boxes for mousing over items, but that's gonna apply to everything), so now I can go work on stats. Also gave it a dynamic crosshair that changes based on the situation.
>>
File: killme.jpg (54KB, 1068x865px) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
54KB, 1068x865px
I cant into art
>>
>>372758434
pixel art games are the easiest to make from both an art and programming perspective
>>
>>372760081
Good animations.
>>
>>372759551
why though
>>
File: bing bing splash wahoo.webm (1MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
bing bing splash wahoo.webm
1MB, 853x480px
>>372759338

>it would look better if the splashes didnt look like sound waves when something entered the water

I know. I'm trying to achieve a splash effect similar to the one in the first NSMB, which actually look really fucking complicated.

>webm related, NSMB's water physics
>>
>>372756610
a * sin(x) * e^-kt is what you're looking for anon.

Where a is amplitude, sin(x) is your basic wave, e is the constant e, k is a constant for how quickly it should decay, and t is your time or distance or whatever you want to use as the decay variable.
>>
Network synchronization is fucking weird. I can have hundreds of enemies on screen at a time and I need to make sure they're synchronized for all clients at all times.

I could constantly be synchronizing the positions and all that but it would be a massive amount of network traffic.

What I've settled on is a circular linked list that synchronizes one enemy per server tick. So the server sends the position the enemy should be at and then the client sees it, looks at what its last ping was to the server and then adds that amount of time multiplied by its movespeed in the current direction to that position.

This worked pretty well but enemies were sort of jittery due to very minor ping fluctuations so I made it only jaunt the position for a client if they're out of some acceptable margin of error.

I think what I have set up now is smart but it still seems like it could be better.
>>
>>372761527
why cant you run the game on the server and the server just sends the game state to the client?
>>
>>372761046
>a * sin(x) * e^-kt is what you're looking for anon.

How do I apply it to this?

>y3 = (argument2*sin(height*dir_value))
That's the code I used in GMS to achieve the waves. What would be e in this case?
>>
>>372761689
Depends on what language you're using. But you're definitely going to need a Math Library for the e^(-k*t) part.
>>
I have a concept for a horror game but I can't into Unity so it's basically dead at the moment
>>
>>372761689
e is the natural growth constant which is ~2.718, you can google the full thing, gamemaker might have a built in constant for it as well but I use Unity so I have no idea.

Also I'm a little confused, in your equation you list sin(height * dir_value), though height of your wave is determined by what sin is multiplied by, whereas multiplying inside the sin causes the waves to become smaller in wavelength.

Overall this eq would work:
>Wave Height = Max Height * sin(Wavelength * Time) * e^(-Time Constant * Time)

Instead of time you can use distance or whatever, it's just the variable controlling the wave.
>>
>>372762078
Is it a gameplay concept or a story concept?
>>
>>372762216
Both
>>
seeing how my first project goes before doing something else.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851820772

but I think finishing uni to get a cuckjob to pay for artists might be the better idea.
>>
File: shd (2).webm (3MB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
shd (2).webm
3MB, 640x512px
>>372755443
Making a basic as fuck dungeon-crawler for my friends to play co-op
>>
>>372762525
Then just go on their website to figure out how the UI works and make your game alright.

>>372762815
Walking around seems hellishly slow and the menus are out of a flash game. The characters don't look bad at all so I'm surprised the UI stuff looks so terrible. Combat seems fun, I played a /d/ game with that sort of combat but yours is way more hectic.
>>
>>372760081
Why are you doing inventory before things like basic gameplay?
>>
>>372758926
some of the attack patterns I have seen for this look pretty nice, though those will probably take the longest amount of time to tweak once all is said and done (to keep them from being overly impossible, sloppy, etc.).
>>
File: guildage environ.jpg (878KB, 1669x920px) Image search: [Google]
guildage environ.jpg
878KB, 1669x920px
>>372764356
Why not?
>>
>>372761527
the professional way to do it is to use efficient compression on the data you send
>>
File: Less shitty water.webm (108KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Less shitty water.webm
108KB, 853x480px
>>372762096
Decided to test out the suggestion, and it actually works pretty nicely. The splashes look less unnatural now. Thanks!
>>
>>372755443
Attempting to learn how to do art is driving me crazy. God this shit is hard. And every attempt I make to use temp/borrowed sprites just creates more work.
>>
File: GIF2.gif (2MB, 464x252px) Image search: [Google]
GIF2.gif
2MB, 464x252px
nope not yet
>>
>>372761689
2D water is easy
You could hook it up to a physics system like box2D or simply implement a spring equation.
Just apply the equation to an arbitrary set of points and supply those as the verts to the vertext buffer object
>>
File: door.jpg (72KB, 581x453px) Image search: [Google]
door.jpg
72KB, 581x453px
I'm trying out features with this little scripting module thing I wrote for Unreal. It seems to work ok. There's some changes I think I'll eventually want to make for it but it's robust enough for now.
>>
Why does it seem everyone in these threads and in agdg is trying to 1MA a full game?

Why aren't there more people just focusing on a specific thing? Like, 3D modeling, or even more specific yet, 3D character modeling or 3D prop modeling. Instead everyone is stuck making these mini games for whatever reason.
>>
>>372769405
It's nearly impossible to find passionate and skilled people willing to work for free who share similar interests (as far as genre, etc).
>>
because its a game development thread not a 3D modelling thread or programming thread (which are on /3/ and /g/)
>>
>>372769627
It's game dev if you're doing it for a video game.
>>
>>372755443
how do i art if my drawings look like that of a 5 year old?
I've already written down basically everything I need and have been learning how to do what I want with Unreal, it's literally just the art/3D modeling that's fucking me in the ass.
I have no idea where to start. I've always sucked at drawing.
>>
>>372769798
Drawing and modeling are separate skills that each take years to become proficient in and decades to master. You learn it just like anything else - tutorials, classes, training, practice.
>>
>>372769551
this
Also i'm afraid of working with other people after the last time I tried to hire an artist it ended up being that they plagiarized 90% of their work and had actively lied about their skills, leading to me almost getting in legal trouble
>>
>>372770023
>>372769551
>>372769405
>5 close friends and I decide to do something like what we discuss all the time
>i'm learning programming and also writing basic backgrounds for different races/history of the game
>other friend is writing a short story based on his race
>no one else is doing anything
I've already decided (on my own because they would just say "yeah that's cool") what the map looks like, what races we're having and not having, and the general direction i'd like to take for the game.
I'm having to 1 man it because no one else gives a shit about it.
desu tho i'm having a lot of fun writing.
>>
File: 21546_front.jpg (162KB, 640x897px) Image search: [Google]
21546_front.jpg
162KB, 640x897px
Oh hey this thread; first one I've caught in a while.

>>372769405
I only focus on music/sound for now. I made a few tracks for shmoopdev up above [lookin' good ;) ]. About the only thing I could probably manage are old text adventure types, or memegames in RPGmaker.

A client recently asked me to make a single Shining Force genesis chiptune for him, which am finding is a very fun project. I love making Genesis music. Here's a snippet of it, that I'll have up for a little while:

https://clyp.it/vjcaueo1

I'm hoping to capture a rousing orchestral style with the YM2612.
>>
>>372770369
this sounds neat as fuck my dude
>>
>>372770023
Damn man. I've heard a lot of stories about artists just going silent or taking freaking ages as well.
My problem is that my roommates wife is the artsy type, and she would be willing to draw up stuff for me. However going by her personality giving her any sort of direction is going to be borderline impossible.
>>
>>372769405
I'm an artist but I don't know much about programming so I'm just using RPG Maker. Thankfully the game I want can be made with it.
>>
>>372770353
I'm helping some people like you right now as their programmer, but the problem is still that they're learning and I've been a professional programmer for a number of years.

I work with some AAA artists but I don't think my chances are good trying to convince several people (you need 2-4 artists per programmer for a decent 3d game) to dedicate 2-5 years of their life making a game for free and just hoping it will be good. These guys have families and stuff, ain't no one got time for that shit.
>>
>>372769405
I don't want to sink money into an artist until I have a solid game built and want to swap in better art.
Of course I'm in the position at the moment where I can't work on my combat without decent animations since stuff like that box-dev just doesn't work for me.
Most of us do this shit as a hobby.
>>
>>372770751
>Most of us do this shit as a hobby.
That's the thing, surely there are artists who do shit as a hobby as well. Plus programmers, and designers.
>>
>>372770737
I'm using my GI Bill (free college if you serve in military) for CS (inb4 >cs) if that's telling you my knowledge in programming.
I'm learning blueprint for Unreal.
I don't think I'd try for say, a Morrowind clone with just one person. For gameplay I was thinking something like Last Remnant-M&B-FF:tactics. Most likely going for 2D with some 3D elements.
I just don't know where the fuck to start without basic art concepts for scenery, environment, characters/mobs, etc.
>>
File: hardworkandgutsu.gif (916KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
hardworkandgutsu.gif
916KB, 400x301px
>>372770456
Thank you; I've been into the FM trackers now for years, and I'm almost half-good at it! (I'm no jredd tho*)

I got to write a sega genesis ost a year ago; I hope the game releases one of these days because the art was really heavy metal. It was a horror-themed pinball game so I had to write a long track that wouldn't get boring while you're pinballin':

https://soundcloud.com/ec2151/demons-tilt-ost-lets-play-baal-main-table-theme

(along with several other tracks for special events)

*tho he follows me on soundcloud ho ho

It's also probably just a courtesy like but the composer of Metal Gear 2 and D4 follows me too. I'll take it motherfuckers!
>>
>>372771137
you can learn a lot, but you can't really generate content or produce anything commercial

this was like 6 months of work for me by myself using free assets, but I got to the point where I needed ~4 artists to assist me which was never gonna happen, so oh well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ1SYKQmCQ

unfortunately I don't have much interest in simple 2d games or mobile games, which are things one person could reasonably finish (perhaps with outsourced art for a flat fee)
>>
Working on my seaplane that harasses the player throughout the game.
>>
File: progress.png (453KB, 761x311px) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
453KB, 761x311px
>>372771778
Also added spiders and crumbling rock platforms.
>>
File: runner019.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
runner019.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>372764465
I'm working on that right now actually for the end of level boss. It's hard to tread the line of possible to do blind vs difficulty, the first two mini-bosses are a little on the easy side, but they're so early in the game that they probably should be.

>>372770369
ayy
>>
>can't draw
>can't make music
What do if I can only code?
>>
>>372772331
Become a coding god. And then make really good genuine friends with an artist or make enough money to hire one.
>>
>>372772000
where'd you learn to pixel art?
i really like your style.
>>
>>372769405
i added a dude from /v/ on steam who seemed interested in collaborating (we had pretty much the same idea) but he hasn't sent me anything in months. pretty much what i expected.
>>
>>372772625
this.
you faggots have no work ethic
>>
>>372772603
Been doing it as a hobby since I was a teenager. The default db32 colour pallet in Aseprite works wonders.
>>
>>372772990
>15 buck
Is it really that much better than photoshop?
>>
File: old man jenkins.jpg (233KB, 1179x724px) Image search: [Google]
old man jenkins.jpg
233KB, 1179x724px
Still working on my monster. I want him to wear pants.
>>
>>372773231
work on your hand anatomy, him being a monster is no excuse
>>
>>372773187
If you're doing any sort of animation then I recommend it 100%. Also the convolution matrix stuff can save you hours. If you're just doing static art then photoshop is fine.
>>
File: jenkins.jpg (292KB, 1183x720px) Image search: [Google]
jenkins.jpg
292KB, 1183x720px
>>372773465
Does it look better in this pic? I gave him normal hands earlier on but wanted to stretch the fingers out in an attempt to make him creepier looking.
>>
>>372773770
it looks better, yes, although it's pretty hard to get a good read on form with that lighting and that material. it's fine to make the fingers longer but you can't just lazily use the move tool real quick in zbrush to stretch them out like that you need to maintain the proper volume throughout the finger or else it looks stupid.
>>
File: Stranded.webm (402KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Stranded.webm
402KB, 800x480px
>>372755443
Pretty much re-writing all of the player states right now, one at a time. Got a ton of refactoring to do, but it's worth it. Also added an option to change dash types, so now you can either use the two button style or one button plus a direction. It's not implemented in the menu yet, but its functionality is there.
>>
>>372773997
>zbrush
I fuckin wish, that shit is expensive as fuck. I'm just using Blender. Haven't reached the stage of sculpting normals yet.
Anyway yeah I was worried about the hands in the first place, I'll change them back.
>>
>>372773770
I think the palms are much too flat, they should be almost cup shaped.
>>
>>372774219

>blue hair
>goes fast
>angled terrain with a grid motif

nice sonic :^)
>>
File: 1489947851725.jpg (43KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489947851725.jpg
43KB, 720x480px
This is a humble reminder that learning how to develop your game from scratch (that is, not relaying in game engines such as unity and GMS) will take you closer to deploying a game and beat your competitors.

Because games and game development are so popular, and you are competing against other games for attention, it is in your interest to use more performant tools that allow you to program your game without cutting any feature or depending on closed software.

If you are interested in defeating your main oponents (those using game engines, like the ones listed in the op poster), here are some tips:

- Use efficient and performant programming languages, such as c++, rust or nim.
* cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
* doc.rust-lang.org/book/
* nim-by-example.github.io

- Learn algorithms:
* coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

- Learn maths and physics:
* khanacademy.org/math
* khanacademy.org/science/physics

- Learn how to get the most out of your cpu:
* dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain/
* learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap
* fgiesen.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/why-do-cpus-have-multiple-cache-levels/

- Learn how to do graphics:
* opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/

Good luck.
>>
>>372774236
make the fingers bonier to match the rest of his look. i think that will look much creepier than just stretching them out, although being longer isn't a bad idea if you can do that without fucking up the anatomy. look up the skeletal structure of the hand and match the fingers to that, don't just make them tiny sticks, they should be wider at the joints and thinner in between the joints
>>372774330
this too, the fingers aren't the only issue. try and download some 3d body scans if you can (cgpeers) for anatomy references in the future, they can be quite handy.
>>
>>372758926
wow this is sweet, looks like another great game is upon us alongside anubis and monolith
>>
File: 1491073794856.jpg (2MB, 2855x2460px) Image search: [Google]
1491073794856.jpg
2MB, 2855x2460px
>>372774336
Blue means fast, alright. I need to change his colors later.
>>
File: 1402375095935.png (21KB, 176x232px) Image search: [Google]
1402375095935.png
21KB, 176x232px
>>372756660
Programming in 3d is fucking hard, dude.
That's why the best a lot of us can make is a fucking doom clone.
>>
>>372774336
what are you talking about? that's clearly the protagonist of persona 3
>>
File: serial_experiments_lain_02[1].png (1MB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serial_experiments_lain_02[1].png
1MB, 1520x1080px
>>372774479
At this point you might think that nothing of this applies to you. Please, reconsider it:

- Data-Oriented Design (Or Why You Might Be Shooting Yourself in The Foot With OOP)
gamesfromwithin.com/data-oriented-design

- Pitfalls of Object Oriented Programming
.slideshare.net/EmanWebDev/pitfalls-of-object-oriented-programminggcap09

- common OOP game engine development pitfalls
bounceapp.com/116414

- Three Big Lies
cellperformance.beyond3d.com/articles/2008/03/three-big-lies.html

Think about it in this way: understanding how your computer work might not secure you success, yet it gives you a huge advantage in this race.

You might say that the latest famous indie game done in unity didn't put any effort into engineering at all, but this is only illusory. You cannot see how many hours, days and months the developers behind successful unity (and GMS) games had to put to work around its inherent limitations.

You can say to yourself "I don't need anything else, i'll relay in my luck" or think wisely and increase the likelihood of being success by expending some time learning more about computers.
Everything depends on you.
>>
>>372774487
>try and download some 3d body scans if you can (cgpeers) for anatomy references in the future, they can be quite handy
What's funny is that I did, for everything except the hands. I'm just going to redo them from scratch.
>>
>>372769405
I'm a 1MA who can do everything but music and my game isn't small at all.
>>
File: xx-sanic-dash-xx.png (48KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
xx-sanic-dash-xx.png
48KB, 300x300px
>>372774576
>>
I would be working on my game's script, but I decided that I should probably get my world sorted out. So, I pirated ebooks about medieval Europe and I've been studying.

It's not much of "working" though. I haven't really touched the source in a while, as I've finished mostly everything in the engine (or, at least, everything that I can think of). So I just have to focus on content-creation.
>>
>>372774479
>>372774773
what if you want to make something with retro graphics and gameplay? surely the extra horsepower of modern computers can more than accommodate the slight bloat and inefficiency that comes with using a premade engine in this scenario?
>>
File: 12315135.png (9KB, 549x421px) Image search: [Google]
12315135.png
9KB, 549x421px
>>372755443
Working on it
>>
>>372774479
>will take you closer to deploying a game
Not really.
>>
>>372775657
common sense isnt welcome here
>>
>>372775302
>I would be working on my game's script, but I decided that I should probably get my world sorted out.
Take some advice from someone who did the same thing; sort that shit out later and work on your code now. Always start with the gameplay framework before you write/design yourself into a corner or into a project larger than your means.
>>
>>372755443
Still going strong, though the fucking story writer is a dumb ass and I want to strangle him.
>>
>>372775910
delusional idea guys dont actually want to be productive
>>
>>372774219
i'll pray you won't end up with a content starved or repetitive grindfest game
>>
>>372774219
Alucard is that you?
>>
>>372775910
BZZZ - WRONG.

Art is far more important than programming in the current indie climate, and you want to have your assets created before you start working on your code.
>>
>>372774479
>beat your competitors

Most games are trash anon, people also finished consuming most good games while waiting for more good ones.
Especially this last few years have been quite dry of good games, so basically there isn't much competition nor would spending 10+ extra years of killing your eyes actually increase your chances on making a more fun game.

If an Anon has a good fun idea for a video game don't spend too much time on trying to even learn to make it, otherwise the chances get higher and higher that you will lose motivation and give up.
>>
>>372775910
I've already done that, actually. I'm making a PW clone, and I was able to make a (basic) case that only focused on the trial portions of the game. I have the investigation portions created, and everything works.

I actually like to code more than work on the actual content of the game.
>>
>>372776328
>and you want to have your assets created before you start working on your code.
Horse shit dude, you can rip off assets from the internet to use as a placeholder in five minutes.
>>
If you want to make 3D, make sure to get yourself:

Blender
Photoshop
Quixel Suite
Zbrush
Marmoset Toolbag 3
>>
>>372776482
>this is what braindead code monkeys believe is viable
If you don't have a design blueprint with both art and programming working in cohesion, your game will be one of the many shitty looking indiegames in the already oversaturated market.

Art comes first. When people get first exposure to a game, they see the art. Nobody gives a flying fuck about your stupid meme mechanics at first glance.
>>
File: 1480462190738.gif (813KB, 303x303px) Image search: [Google]
1480462190738.gif
813KB, 303x303px
>>372776121
I'll try my best.

>>372776309
More Juste than Alucard.
>>
>>372776765
And I'm sure people will love looking at your video game art that they can't fucking do anything with.
>>
>>372769405
Autism.
That and it's a pain coordinating with others to do shit when it's only a passion project for one person.
>>
>>372777106
You're an idiot who needs to learn how to read.

As I said before: Art first, programming second.
>>
>>372777106
to be honest, the anon has a partial point, art is incredibly important, it's basically what defines all AAA games since it's mostly graphics and a few game mechanics.
>>
>>372777631
>>372777698

I think socio-political statements are really the bedrock of any stellar gaming experience IMO
>>
>>372777631
Right, except the art doesn't need to come first at all for any practical purpose.
I can swap out some garbage I found on the internet at virtually any time during development.
I can't develop a game without any fucking programming.
Dipshit.
>>
>>372777748
>resorting to /pol/ memes

just go and play dorf fortress fag
>>
>>372777970
Are you trying to imply that Dwarf Fortress is a bad game?
>>
>>372778113
>resorting to sjw word twisting

i implied dorf fortress has little art to speak of, so go play it fag
>>
>>372777970
lol wat?

What's it like to be a teenager these days?
>>
>>372755443
https://soundcloud.com/ruined_sounds/peaceful-city is it comfy?
>>
>>372778235
You're going on about art being what defines games and all, so I just want to check.
Can't miss an opportunity to let you demonstrate what a total fucking moron you are.
>>
>>372777698
indie games have shit graphics though
>>
>>372778392
the start sounds like a comfy restaurant and then a pokemon city at night

yeah sounds pretty good, nice job anon
>>
>>372779005
thanks! the first half and latter half are actually basically the same, just the melody/melody instrument changes from synth to vibraphone.
>>
>>372778392
Can you do tribal swing music for cheap?
>>
Anyone know any resources for finding composers?
>>
>>372779214
you'll have to define tribal swing for me. my brass samples aren't particularly great for swing/big band type stuff. i don't really compose that much jazz in general but i could certainly give it a go if you're willing to put up with lackluster/cheesy samples or MIDI or chiptune.
>>
File: wotah.webm (428KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wotah.webm
428KB, 1280x720px
>>372765521
the way I do water is really shitty and stupid, but it works fine and looks good enough
it'll probably not give you the result you want, but what I do is use alpha-clamp / alpha-threshold, the water being a horizontal gradient and the waves being gradient circles
webm shows the water waves with and without the effect
>>
>>372779529
the second "wave" looks cheap as fuck
>>
File: preview80.gif (204KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
preview80.gif
204KB, 630x472px
haven't done anything in a week

the tree and other plants are temporary
>>
>>372779529
...are you zentaco?
>>
>>372779313
if you like chiptune http://battleofthebits.org/ these guys are constantly writing stuff and even occasionally making non-chiptune stuff. they have big contests frequently to see who can write the best tune so you can look at the winners of any given contest to see who the really good ones are. the only problem is there isn't a PM system integrated into the site but you can post on their profile and ask for contact info. http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Battle/3289/WILDCHIP+%21%3D+WIN/ here's a recent one that just finished, ignore the graphics entries i guess (unless you need an artist too)
>>
>>372779798
So half of what we're looking at isn't what we're suppose to be looking at.... That's not exactly a good way to sell your game/idea as a good one... Especially since if you didn't tell us we'd not be focused on we're going to focus on it more.
>>
>>372777951
You're only further proving what a braindead, visionless idiot you are.

You cannot properly design your vision if you're not working with your assets. Placeholder garbage is for talentless retards like yourself, especially when your eventual art sucks too.
>>
File: test.webm (3MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
test.webm
3MB, 1000x1000px
Just finished the first major part of my dungeon generating algorithm.

Now I'm gonna use it to generate 3d dungeons in Unity.

Here's an example of my debugging of a single floor with 150 rooms.
It handles multifloor dungeons as well, so there's no issue with that, but harder to visualize so I debugged with a single floor.

Not 100% sure what I'll do for a game, but I wanna get the dungeon generating in Unity and have it networked.
>>
>>372779798
the large grass has some nice colors though it could be a little brighter considering the art style of the characters
everything else is definitely too dark and could be a part of a 2d dark souls game
>>
File: asd.jpg (466KB, 868x868px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
466KB, 868x868px
>>372755443
making a female (female)

not sure if uggo
>>
File: flower friend.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
flower friend.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>372779631
you mean the one with the effect off? yeah, it looks terrible, because the efffect is off
>>372779946
nope

newest stuff that I added to the game, some seesaws and an enemy that's a real cunt
>>
File: 1392352449255.png (88KB, 734x223px) Image search: [Google]
1392352449255.png
88KB, 734x223px
>>372780171
>You cannot properly design your vision if you're not working with your assets
That just sounds like you denying your own disposability, anon.
But don't let me stop you and your 'artistic vision.'
>>
>>372779950
I'm looking more late 90s early 00s synth or orchestral sounding synth
>>
>>372780223
>huge sprawling dungeons in a 3D game

most people don't like to spend multiple hours on 1 dungeon in a dungeon crawler game anon

some would prolly even get lost in smaller dungeons than that and quit forever
>>
File: progress15.webm (1MB, 629x470px) Image search: [Google]
progress15.webm
1MB, 629x470px
>>372780076
it's just progress, not something I'd put officially on social media or greenlight

here's some real gameplay though

>>372780238
it's supposed to be a more depressing area compared to the lighter forest, it'll probably be raining in the end result
>>
>>372780265
Looks like Fallout 2 era stuff currently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZb4ACwMjEc
>>
>>372780413
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Battle/2767/Entries/ we had an orchestral contest a while back.
>>
>>372780223
can you give more variety to the generation? i'm seeing some obvious patterns that just repeat over and over, people will get lost from every room being the exact same
>>
>>372780353
No, you're just showing what a hack you are. By all means, keep prioritizing your coding and meme mechanics like the talentless failure you are.
>>
>>372780754
at this point you sound like you are bitterly projecting anon
>>
File: faec.png (2MB, 1698x824px) Image search: [Google]
faec.png
2MB, 1698x824px
>>372780265
I'm no 3d modeler or artist at all, but it does look off
it's not bad, but some stuff can be improved
I feel like the eyes are too high and too big, and the hairline looks a bit high too because of the eye position
but I don't know really, don't take my word for it
just make sure to look at references constantly
good job so far nonetheless
>>
File: 1397263238658.png (101KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
1397263238658.png
101KB, 490x480px
>>372780754
Yes anon, don't let me break your elaborately constructed delusions of self importance.
I'm sure the rest of the world will recognize your brilliance any day now.
>>
>>372780838
it probably looks off because the end of the nose and the eyes are further apart than what most humans have
>>
>>372780265
The render quality makes it difficult to tell.
>>
>>372780826
>>372780918
The only thing being projected is your stupidity. Continue on being the failure of a code first, art second 1MA you are.
>>
File: dungeonGenSmall.gif (617KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonGenSmall.gif
617KB, 250x250px
>>372780691
It's just a test
There are 4 different rooms in that example that just rotate themselves

>>372780432
The size was just an example of what can be done. Realistically it'd be much smaller, and you'd have a map that reveals what rooms you've visited.

The generator has complete control of weighted chances of what rooms can connect to other rooms, and all sorts of fun stuff. So I can push the dungeon to be a certain shape if I want to, or allow certain areas to connect to other areas.

My intention is to create a bunch of prefabricated rooms with their own randomized stuff happening in them, as well as an overarching theme for the generation such as "generate 3 miniboss/puzzle rooms, 1 major boss room, 1-4 chest rooms, and a chance at a special room" or something like that.

So generated dungeons will have directly goals rather than being arbitrary.

Just gonna have to wait to see it truly in action.
My current idea is that you complete a floor (or dungeon, since a generated dungeon can have multiple floors) and then you can proceed to the next one which may have a different theme, new rooms into the mix, and be harder.
>>
>>372781108
Ladies Ladies, you're alll pretty and Senpai wants to fuck you all.
>>
File: fixedabit.png (973KB, 868x868px) Image search: [Google]
fixedabit.png
973KB, 868x868px
>>372780265
Way too much jaw. Should be more like this. The eyes are generally supposed to be in the centre of the face.
>>
>>372781113
prefab rooms kind of suck, it's what oblivion tried to do and as a result every dungeon feels exactly the same. you should try and generate things from smaller pieces than that if you can
>>
>>372781108
not those anons, but art doesn't make a game good, just pretty
now if what you're saying is that the average player nowadays cares more about a pretty game than a good game, then I wont disagree with you
ultimately you can have a really good looking game that people will buy, but it wont be remembered two weeks later unless it has solid gameplay
it's the reason why people consider A Link to The Past their favorite game of all time, and no one cares about Wand of Gamelon
>>
If you want to get into 3D modeling, start with BornCG and Blender Guru. They have the best beginner tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgHs8uzT3yqe4iHGfkCmMJ0P

After that, move onto the more advanced stuff: Oliver Villar, Darren Lile and CG Geek.

NEVER purchase a Udemy tutorial. Waste of money

While Blender is pretty solid on its own, you definitely want a texture/normal painting software to go with it to make some really nice looking stuff, especially if you're working with UE4. I'd recommend either Quixel Suite or Substance. Also, most people agree Marmoset Toolbag 3 will give you the best bakes, so try that too.
>>
File: 1451952058636.jpg (92KB, 500x617px) Image search: [Google]
1451952058636.jpg
92KB, 500x617px
>>372781548
>it's the reason why people consider A Link to The Past their favorite game of all time, and no one cares about Wand of Gamelon
Holy shit, did you really say this? Are you really suggesting Wand of Gamelon has better art direction than AlttP?

Code monkeys, everyone.
>>
>>372781548
a link to the past has really nice visuals though. and the cd-i games are ugly as piss.
>>
>>372781548
What would Metal Slug be without the art? I think it can take a mediocre product and elevate it to something great.
>>
>>372781681
now you are just pretending to be braindamaged

come on now
>>
>>372781342
>as a result every dungeon feels exactly the same
I'll try my best to make it feel less so, but it's what I'm going with regardless

variation can come in multiple ways.
>more prefab rooms
>varying what rooms are allowed in generations
>having randomization on a per room basis (things that are in the room, enemies, puzzles)

I don't think it's a big deal if a handful of people think that makes everything the same.
There have been hundreds of successful games with generated content and randomization that are also tons of fun.

The biggest part comes from "How do you interact with it"
If I only had 4 rooms and the gameplay was shit, then yeah you'd focus on the fact that there's 4 rooms.
However suggestion generation is inherently bad and feels like everything is the same is objectively false
>>
>>372781842
You are a dead set fucking idiot, and have no idea of what makes good art.

Enjoy being a miserable failure for the rest of your life.
>>
>>372781931
are you ok anon
>>
>>372781842
Don't waste your time with the delusional artfag, anon.
>>
>>372782042
What do we have here? Another idiot who thinks Wand of Gamelon looks better than AlttP?

Another day, another moron.
>>
>>372781856
I like myself some random dungeons to explore, so I'm looking foward to seeing progress with what you're doing
are the dungeons going to have verticality, in the sense of rooms being above or below others? it'd definitely feel more interesting to explore if it's not just all in a horizontal plane
>>
>>372782042
>>372782078

the poor thing just needs a few (you)'s to keep on living anon

save an anon
>>
File: dasd.jpg (179KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
dasd.jpg
179KB, 512x512px
>>372780265

>>372780838
>>372781203

Moved some shit around, probably going to be texture issues now though, probably have to modify the zbrush and then rebake. It's weird because I swear it looked alot different proportioned when I was making it in Zbrush. I suspect some camera FOV shit is fucking my perception up in there.

Weirdly enough I started this out trying to look like my gf and now this looks kinda like Cameron Diaz
>>
>>372781856
i don't think you understood me correctly. i'm not shit talking random generation, i'm saying that random generation that just entails placing a bunch of premade rooms isn't that great. you should try and make it generate the rooms themselves from a set of modular pieces you give it, that has much more potential for interesting dungeons in my opinion. that way every room is different from the last.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoelBurgess/20130501/191514/Skyrims_Modular_Approach_to_Level_Design.php this what i'm basing this on. of course, writing code to automate the placement of modular pieces like this might be tough, that's why i said to do it IF you can. obviously they hand placed all of that shit in skyrim, but think about how cool it would be if you could automate the process. i know it's possible.
>>
File: How to Make it.jpg (137KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
How to Make it.jpg
137KB, 728x546px
>>372782169
I like the style though.
>>
>>372782108
>are the dungeons going to have verticality, in the sense of rooms being above or below others? it'd definitely feel more interesting to explore if it's not just all in a horizontal plane

Yes, the dungeon generator completely supports any number of levels in a room, and with different shapes for different levels in the same room.
That's all in the data setup.

It's possible that I could have a flat dungeon, or an almost completely vertical one if I wanted to.
>>
>>372782169
that... that looks half male, did you work for bioware
>>
File: 1476351205304.jpg (61KB, 540x511px) Image search: [Google]
1476351205304.jpg
61KB, 540x511px
how do i market a game without feeling like a shill? or is that a fool's journey?
>>
>>372782169
She's looking better. A trick to see if something wrong structurally is to view it in thumbnail size. Your brain gets less distracted by the details and its easier to spot problems.
>>
>>372782308
If your game is good, it will market itself.
>>
>>372782308
Hand out steam keys to smaller youtubers.
>>
>>372782217
I haven't read through that, but I don't wanna put the effort into making completely modular rooms at the moment

I'm toying with the idea of having some generated rooms, but for the first pass I'm doing purely prefabs.

One of the issues with sameness I believe can be solved by making rooms less unique in style. If rooms are too unique, then you notice when they repeat. That, or unique rooms should be limited in how often they are spawned.
>>
>>372782308
http://dopresskit.com/

give copies to media/letsplayers, it's what they are for anon
>>
>>372782326
thats actually a good tip, thanks
>>
>>372782347
thats the philosophy ive been following but i feel like just sitting here and ignoring that part of the job is self-sabotaging
>>
>>372782308
well, if you are marketing the game you are a shill m8. So its a fool's journey.
>>
if your game has bad art, your chances of success are very low. try following some tutorials before you get started
>>
>>372782437
doing nothing is a shit philosophy
>>
File: GMSE01-20.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GMSE01-20.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Porting Wind Waker to the Super Mario Sunshine engine. Here's a preview.
>>
>>372782078
Wand of Gamelon was a game made with focus on art, ALLTP focused on gameplay
it was a really ridiculous example, I'll give you that, but it shows how sensible devs aproach game design
ALTTP's art is there simply to complement the gameplay, it looks good because Nintendo had competent artists that knew what they were doing

another exemple for you to sperg about: everyone remembers Mario 3, no one remembers Bubsy

>>372782169
looks better anon
if you don't care about her being really pretty, don't worry about changing too much from what you have now

>>372782265
cool, I'll look foward to it
>>
>>372782394
>If rooms are too unique, then you notice when they repeat.
while that might be true, don't you risk making things bland and uninteresting by going in the other direction? this sounds like a catch-22 that would be fixed by the modular approach. it's not easy but i think it would be worth the effort
>>
File: ribbert1.webm (2MB, 762x429px) Image search: [Google]
ribbert1.webm
2MB, 762x429px
3D art is hard but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
>>
File: googum's art.png (110KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
googum's art.png
110KB, 1200x600px
>>372782483
You should take your own advice.
>>
>>372782169
I think you need a new gf
>>
>>372782594
the neat thing is that I haven't done anything yet on that part so everything is pure speculation and pointless to even think about or discuss.

> it's not easy but i think it would be worth the effort
said every dev that ended up doing nothing because they autistically went for 'the gold'
>>
>>372782574
>Wand of Gamelon was a game made with focus on art, ALLTP focused on gameplay
Then you're missing my point, dumbfuck.

Gameplay should be designed with art in mind. Code monkeys who think their mechanics are more important than how the game looks, and think art can be added in later are delusional.
>>
>>372782483
>if your game has bad art, your chances of success are very low.
you know that from experience huh
>>
File: 1485897293894.jpg (4KB, 249x180px) Image search: [Google]
1485897293894.jpg
4KB, 249x180px
>>372782542
two of my favorite games right there anon.... you're treading on thin ice.
>>
>>372782612
you may want to use full 2d instead
>>
>>372782574
>another exemple for you to sperg about: everyone remembers Mario 3, no one remembers Bubsy
Another example that proves what a colossal fucking idiot you are.
>>
>>372782542
wait what why
>>
File: 1404394070701.jpg (38KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1404394070701.jpg
38KB, 704x480px
I gave up.
>>
>>372782858
You'll see, stay tuned. Have a lot of interesting ideas.
>>
>>372782717
this is my first time posting in this thread, before you cry samefag

you're delusional and looking for things to get pissed about, even when you were clearly wrong and misunderstanding

please seek help
>>
>have a dream game I want to make
>put in a lot of work towards making it happen
>for one reason or another it doesnt pan out

>year or two later Im ready to tackle it again
>but it feels like a lot of what made the game special and unique has been tapped into by major studio titles over the past few years
>not sure if my brainchild even has a place in this world anymore

Dont be like me bros. Don't miss your chance.
>>
>>372782723
This is what gogem.pro thinks a loli is: >>>/vg/173003984
>>
>>372782893
what were your plans anon
>>
>>372782926
>even when you were clearly wrong and misunderstanding
Speaking for yourself there? Idiot.
>>
File: GMSE01-16.png (1MB, 1904x1040px) Image search: [Google]
GMSE01-16.png
1MB, 1904x1040px
>>372782542
Here's a bonus screenshot.
>>
>>372782928
What game did you want to make?
>>
File: 1.jpg (106KB, 565x713px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
106KB, 565x713px
Finished character bios and concepts.
Filtered through about 30k photos to pick historical references. Have about 500 of those now.
Read 3 books. Ethnography and history of day-to-day life mostly.
Also collecting language material, songs and researching into methods of reconstructing folk songs.

https://sketismusic.bandcamp.com/album/oh-my-brethren-and-sisters-the-old-believers-spiritual-verses-of-novgorod-region-skmr-132
>>
>>372783003
>cries samefag anyway

ok

>>372783005
what is the end goal of this
>>
>>372782928
dude, there is a draught of good games, most of them are shit.
if you can make something worth playing, now is your chance while all those shit studio's fail and other devs make remakes instead
>>
>>372783081
The end-goal is to take the best elements of Mario and Zelda and mix them up.
>>
>>372782612
You might want more pixel set dressing. Plants and shit. Apart from that its a buy from me.
>>
File: GMSE01-17.png (2MB, 1904x1040px) Image search: [Google]
GMSE01-17.png
2MB, 1904x1040px
>>372783005
Bonus-bonus screenshot.
>>
>>372783005
>>372783149
anon if you can do this it would be much more beneficial for you to make your own game and steal these mechanics then sell it.
>>
File: Capture-2017-03-22-0250-06.webm (219KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Capture-2017-03-22-0250-06.webm
219KB, 640x400px
>>372783005
looks cool but i'd bet getting collision to work the way you want it to would be pure fuckery
unless you know of a way to edit the type of collision for the geometry
>>
Why are most of you guys doing 3Dshit now? Did you all become retarded?
>>
>>372782717
anyone that doesn't have a stick up their ass know that mechanics are more important than how the game looks
remember flappy bird? remember agar.io? they look like shit, and were massively successful
remember owlboy? me neither. gorgeous art, bland gameplay
how many times people replay Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 or 4, instead of any modern TPS? they look worse than modern stuff, but they have solid gameplay that's worth another playthrough
>>
>>372783236
that looks pretty dull and the snow has too many obvious human-made patterns
>>
>>372782996
A cross between a platformer and a text adventure, every 3 stages you enter text mode where the goal is to give up on whatever you set out to do in there..
>>
>>372783236
Collision is absolutely fine after doing a few tweaks. There were a few instances last night where Mario would clip through a part of the level and teleport to the bottom, but I managed to fix that today. Sunshine's engine handles collision better than most modern game engines I've seen.
>>
>>372783370
yeah that sounds pretty boring, why not think about making a turn based game instead
>>
>>372783337
>remember flappy bird? remember agar.io?
Remember cherry picking? Why don't you cherry pick all the examples? Stupid idiot.

>owlboy
A far more successful game than a hack like you could ever dream of making.

>how many times people replay Resident Evil 1, 2, 3
Remember that those games were made 15 years ago?
>>
>>372783235
I suppose that's a possibility, I really enjoy working with Sunshine's engine at the moment though.
>>
>>372783361
i don't think i'm gonna change the dull look but you're 100% right about the snow. it's a 3 frame animation. i think if i tweaked it i could make it less obvious.
>>
File: 1478591291094.jpg (10KB, 228x217px) Image search: [Google]
1478591291094.jpg
10KB, 228x217px
>>372755443
>tfw you want to make a 3d game but then you realize making all that content would take way too long so you decide to make a 2d game but then you remember you can't draw.
>>
>>372783443
It's your turn.
>>
File: 1405472557151.png (34KB, 251x317px) Image search: [Google]
1405472557151.png
34KB, 251x317px
>>372783475
>30 minutes or so later and he is STILL angry at people calling out his bullshit
>>
>>372783598
>people
It's just you, and you're a complete moron who will never make a successful game.

Such is the nature of retards who think good/consistent art direction is unnecessary.
>>
>>372783475
why don't you give me some examples of artgames that were greatly successful and memorable then?
owlboy took 10 years to make and is already forgotten. unfortunate but true
those games were released 15 years ago and yet are more replayable than games make 5 years ago, even with 15 years old graphics. hmm I wonder why?
>>
>>372755443
>Months of learning how to code "good" lighting
>Still can't do shit
Whatever, I give up, I can't write a good script either so it was probably going to be shit
>>
>>372783518
I'm sure whatever engine you're using it has support for particle effects
it'll definitely look better for snow instead of sprite animation
>>
>>372783736
>artgames
Just the fact that you're even using this term shows what a braindead retard you are, and that you've missed the point completely. Nowhere did I say anything about artgames.
>>
>>372783731
Remember Undertale and how it had wildly inconsistent art direction and was a huge success?

:^)
>>
>>372783951
Remember how Undertale was made by a guy with a strong, pre-existing fanbase? You know, something a hack like you doesn't have?

I do.
>>
>>372783843
i considered it. it's my own engine. you're right, it does, but managing each particle is slow on old PCs compared to draw calls
>>
>>372783595
I know this feeel and it suckss

>get good at 3d modeling
>takes 55 years to model everything
>lose all motivation
>can't draw 2d art for shit
>lose more motivation
>>
>>372784027
Give me more (You)s, angry art anon. Give us all more. You're like a monkey in a cage, and it's outstanding.
>>
>>372784054
if its your own engine you can shit out millions of particles before it starts to impact performance, unless you want to write a shader that does dynamic snow for you
>>
>>372783848
meanwhile you've been repeatedly saying "code monkeys" while having 0 arguments and pretending to be right, while you're the only one that agrees with yourself
also I'm not >>372783598 and not the anon you started having a discussion with
>>
>>372755443
Thanks for the video, OP. I'm having a painfully bad day. I wish I could just talk to someone about it but I don't have any friends willing to listen to my notyourblog type shit.

I think I'll try to get through some game dev tutorials, maybe some progress will make me feel better about the crushing loneliness.

Good luck on your games anons, and I hope you all feel the support and fulfillment I'm lacking right now.
>>
>>372784219
Why would I want to argue with a moron like yourself? I've only stated facts, and I already told you: continue being a visionless retard at your leisure. Your meme mechanics, shit graphics game has a 0% chance of being successful.
>>
>>372784595
Thanks, anon. I hope you find great game dev tutorials and feel better at the end of the day.
>>
>>372784835
Just admit you are wrong, games with very good mechanics will always have relative success. Art is important but not 100% necessary , altough having good art boosts exposure
>>
>>372785021
The only one wrong here is you.

>games with very good mechanics will always have relative success
No they won't you fucking idiot.

>Art is important but not 100% necessary
Says the visionless, talentless code monkey.
>>
>>372785021
don't reply to retards, anon
>>
>>372784835
yeah, your baseless, experience-less ""facts"" are a real treat
>>
>>372785105
>experience-less
Christ you're even stupider than I thought.
>>
>>372755443
>Think of all the people around you and the people cheering you on!
>People around you
>Cheering you on
If I have those, I wouldn't be in 4chan.
>>
>>372774618
I'm getting okay at OpenGL but it does take me days to implement some pretty basic maths.
>>
>>372774773
>>>372774479
>At this point you might think that nothing of this applies to you. Please, reconsider it:
>- Data-Oriented Design (Or Why You Might Be Shooting Yourself in The Foot With OOP)
>gamesfromwithin.com/data-oriented-design
>- Pitfalls of Object Oriented Programming
>.slideshare.net/EmanWebDev/pitfalls-of-object-oriented-programminggcap09
>- common OOP game engine development pitfalls
>bounceapp.com/116414
>>372774823

>- Three Big Lies
>cellperformance.beyond3d.com/articles/2008/03/three-big-lies.html
>Think about it in this way: understanding how your computer work might not secure you success, yet it gives you a huge advantage in this race.
>You might say that the latest famous indie game done in unity didn't put any effort into engineering at all, but this is only illusory. You cannot see how many hours, days and months the developers behind successful unity (and GMS) games had to put to work around its inherent limitations.
>You can say to yourself "I don't need anything else, i'll relay in my luck" or think wisely and increase the likelihood of being success by expending some time learning more about computers.
>Everything depends on you.
>>
>>372755443
Pretty Good so far
started in december and already have my first village, a min and a small dungeon.
This week im starting with animation.
>>
File: Toad_Jump2.gif (216KB, 434x360px) Image search: [Google]
Toad_Jump2.gif
216KB, 434x360px
I spent a few days on learning sculpting, retopology and baking

It was a lot less complicated than I expected
>>
>>372785771
looks pretty good. what's it about
>>
File: Toad2_FD_x2.gif (2MB, 640x542px) Image search: [Google]
Toad2_FD_x2.gif
2MB, 640x542px
>>372785807
This lost a lot definition from the original sculpt, but I got it down to just 374 tris, so I'm pretty happy with the results
>>
I'm doing it, I'm moving to UE4. Anything I should know going in from Unity?
>>
>>372783061
A team-based multiplayer game with abilities players could use on top of their basic attacks. So in that sense, a lot like Overwatch or Battleborn.

To make things worse, I wanted to use an art style that was similar. That Pixar meets TF2 look was pretty underused a few years ago, and now it seems like one of the most popular.

>>372783103
I'm still pretty confident I have a concept that can stand apart and deliver a unique experience to players they can't get elsewhere, despite all the new titles that are similar.

In short, I really wanted to make the american version of GunZ. Something fast, skill-based, and with multiple ways to play the game so everyone could develop their own style. And where movement was as equally important as aiming.

Like I said, I'm still fairly confident in my idea, but man was the thunder stolen from it. I'm even considering completely changing the art style.
>>
>>372786243
Good luck dude i'm sure you'll come up with something
>>
>>372785913
Its an action rpgs with a fighting system similar to ff15 and Kingdoms armalur.

Here is an earlier stage without water and rocks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-04_00-38-01.png (88KB, 650x509px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-04_00-38-01.png
88KB, 650x509px
>>372784197
Yeah, but I want my game to work on really old PCs
also this is the first time I built game up in DOS in about 2 months and I had to tweak a lot of things to get it to run again, but still, something is VERY wrong and i don't know what the hell i did
>>
>>372785921
this has the potential to be cute! CUTE!!
>>
>>372786629
>massive stone walls and towers protecting 3 houses

its skyrim all over again
>>
Why the fuck are so many of you making 3D now? How did you lose your way so badly?
>>
>>372786703
>dosbox
nevermind, you have brain cancer
>>
>>372783595
Have you considered stealing from old games?
>>
>>372755443
What 4 chan memes are acceptable to include in my game?
>>
>>372786771
yeah the world needs more amateur pixel shit doesn't it?
>>
File: Fembod1_x2.gif (1MB, 666x452px)
Fembod1_x2.gif
1MB, 666x452px
>>372786740
Thanks - Cute is not something I'm good at, though

I began working on pic related thinking I'd try to make a "cute" girl
>>
>>372786629
looks like an city from an rts, would be funny if you made some meta jokes about the npcs being in an rts game
>>
>>372786629
cool, I dunno if you need any help programming but if you get stuck on stuff feel free to hit me up [email protected] . I don't have a ton of free time at the moment, but who knows in the future
>>
>>372786861
that catwoman face on a 80's woman body+hair
>>
>>372786754
Im planning on filling the world with big monsters. Those houses need the protection.
>>
File: 1407911344668.jpg (22KB, 319x460px) Image search: [Google]
1407911344668.jpg
22KB, 319x460px
>>372786861
What program are you doing this in? It looks good muscle/shape wise, but there is no way in hell that creature is gonna be cute. I could imagine her with pale pink skin, bat wings and fuckin' fireballs coming out of her hands though. Looks like a Baron of Hell with tits.
>>
File: llyod01.webm (3MB, 954x540px) Image search: [Google]
llyod01.webm
3MB, 954x540px
ITS NOT WORKING
>>
>>372787123
>>372786861

Now post more cute animals.
>>
>>372787154
you call this podracing?
>>
>>372787154
huh, you're still alive
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-04_00-48-09.png (73KB, 650x509px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-04_00-48-09.png
73KB, 650x509px
>>372786772
rude!
it's a passion
it turns out the weird drawing errors were a result of writing to a log file 5 times per frame
pretty weird correlation imo
>>
File: Prof1_FD_x3.gif (2MB, 492x543px) Image search: [Google]
Prof1_FD_x3.gif
2MB, 492x543px
>>372787018
Yeah...

>>372787123
I just use Sculptris for sculpting.
It's free software, but pretty nice

And yes, maybe I'll make her a cyberdemon thing

>>372787180
Haven't made any more animals yet, but have a cyberpunk dwarf face
>>
>>372787238
why have a passion for something completely irrelvant
learn a modern development environment, they're easier and more compatible
>>
File: Prof_retopo1.gif (1MB, 476x542px) Image search: [Google]
Prof_retopo1.gif
1MB, 476x542px
>>372787267
And here's a bake test
>>
File: 34r.jpg (30KB, 461x776px) Image search: [Google]
34r.jpg
30KB, 461x776px
>>372755443
I just made this here https://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/
And gave up ;_;
I dont even know how to conect bodyparts.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (119KB, 929x724px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
119KB, 929x724px
>learn a modern development environment, they're easier and more compatible
like a development environment that compiles to major operating systems like windows, linux, mac osx, iphone, android, web, and compiles to many other niche or "scene" platforms like the one i mentioned?
>>
>>372761527
In case you haven't read this already: http://gafferongames.com/networked-physics/introduction-to-networked-physics/

Even if you're not trying to sync a physics simulation there's lots of useful information about compression, interpolation, different network models and whatnot
>>
>>372761527
I'm not a programmer so maybe this is stupid, but couldn't you just prioritize the closest enemies/enemies players have interacted with over the ones that haven't been touched? So a close guy within attack range is updated every tick while one further away gets updated every other tick?
>>
>>372787203
Definitely not, that would be dangerous.

>>372787207
Debatable.
>>
>>372788074
That's what he should be doing. Sending the positions every tick is probably not necessary even for the closest enemies, the clients can just interpolate and/or extrapolate the positions based on snapshots sent few times a second.
>>
>>372787267
Blender Sculpting > Sculptris

Get ZBrush if you have money. If not, stick to Blender.
>>
File: CrabCyborg_FD_x2.gif (2MB, 526x466px) Image search: [Google]
CrabCyborg_FD_x2.gif
2MB, 526x466px
>>372788830
I far prefer Sculptris, to be honest.
I use Blender for all lowpoly stuff, animation and retopology editing.
>>
Alright, I'm sold on 3D dev now.

What's the best way to learn modeling in Blender?
>>
>>372775729
love it
don't know why, i just do
something is just fun about it.
>>
>>372788978
>low res ps1 textures
>i-it's a unique style!
You are a hack.
>>
File: Incubatrix_Grab2_FD_x3.gif (806KB, 594x771px) Image search: [Google]
Incubatrix_Grab2_FD_x3.gif
806KB, 594x771px
>>372789020
This is a great starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw
>>
File: 2017-04-04_01-27-29.webm (1MB, 898x486px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-04_01-27-29.webm
1MB, 898x486px
I didn't do much today
Just these drawers
I also watched Ghost in the Shell, the new movie, and it was bad...
>>
>>372789089
stop it angry art anon

we all moved on but you
>>
File: Kosmo_C_B_FD_x2.gif (1000KB, 396x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kosmo_C_B_FD_x2.gif
1000KB, 396x480px
>>372789089
>i-it's a unique style!
The whole point is that it's not, my little nodev friend.

This is also a game for the 3DS, and the console doesn't like textures over 256x256p, so you work with what you've got.
>>
File: Summer is Coming.jpg (2MB, 1408x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Summer is Coming.jpg
2MB, 1408x1680px
Until you can make something like this, you have a long way to go before you're able to make good looking 3D games.
>>
>>372784835
If graphics are so important why 90's Doom community is going strong while no one gives a shit about Doom 3?

Why is GTA san andreas much more loved than GTA IV, when PS2 era GTA looks terrible these days?

Why people like playing Touhou when ZUN art is shit?

They are important and necessary but they have never been a deal breaker for any well made game.
>>
>>372789309
False
and at the same time, that's not even that good looking
>>
>>372789309
>3D still image
>in any way relevant to practical applications of 3D models in a game

loving every laugh
>>
File: 644f04a481.jpg (29KB, 476x520px) Image search: [Google]
644f04a481.jpg
29KB, 476x520px
>>372789093
>>372789257
I got a question for you, do you model from references or just dive straight into making the model after getting the idea ?
I've made this jawless skull from a side and a front reference, and I'm pretty happy about it but the robe I made without any reference this time, looks like utter shit, is it just a lack of experience or a lack of references ?
>>
>>372789339
Because there are exceptions to every rule, idiot. Doom was made 20 years ago. 20 year old games released at the peak of innovation are different to your shitty efforts in 2017.

>Why is GTA san andreas much more loved than GTA IV, when PS2 era GTA looks terrible these days?
This is based on what? The amount of threads you see in the /v/ catalog? How braindead are you?

>Why people like playing Touhou when ZUN art is shit?
Way to miss the point again, idiot.

>They are important and necessary but they have never been a deal breaker for any well made game.
Aside from the piles upon piles of games with meme mechanics, shit art and shit sales?

If you actually bothered to ask around on forums and conventions, 80-90% of people will tell you they're more likely to play a game if it's visually appealing. If you're making some garbage with 8bit graphics, you will blend in with all the other 8bit garbage. How idiotic do you have to be to not realize this?

Evidently you have to be someone with no artistic talent, who thinks he can get by on coding knowledge alone.
>>
>>372789619
oh my fuck dude are you still going? it's been hours and you're still fucking buttblasted

can you post your sleep schedule so that we can make a thread at a time you're not awake?
>>
>>372789525
If you're not modeling from reference, it will look like absolute dogshit. Even something as simple as a door handle will look off if you're not using a reference. You might think you have it all figured out, but you really don't.

This is why it's important to learn the basics. Stop trying to learn character modeling first.
>>
>>372789525
I just make things from scratch. I hate using references, because it just feels like "work", rather than creative fun.
Sometimes I start with making an interesting texture and then think about what I could use it for, and sometimes I start modeling without any real idea at all, and go along with whatever shape seems to appear.

>I've made this jawless skull from a side and a front reference, and I'm pretty happy about it but the robe I made without any reference this time, looks like utter shit, is it just a lack of experience or a lack of references ?
I see nothing wrong about your stuff, man - You just haven't gotten to the texturing part of things.
With a good texture (alternatively some nice normal map sculpting), you can make those look great.
>>
>>372789673
The only one buttblasted is you. It's clear I've stuck your nerve because you realize your art will never be good, and as a result, you will never amount to anything more than a worthless, talentless indiehack, blending in with all the other games with cheap, shitty art.
>>
>>372789805
This is why you will always be an amateur.

Guess what? Drawing references is part of the creative process.
>>
>>372760960
the main difference i see is that NSMB has a splash effect on top of the sound waves effect thing
>>
>>372788074

layman here

sounds like things could get messy if enemies are ranged attackers or if you're trying to attack enemies at range yourself
>>
>>372789817
I'm not even an artist, you goddamn Neanderthal. What's wrong with you? I was lurking this thread to see people's progress on their various projects, and then you came in here and had an autistic shitfit because you misunderstood what someone was saying about Wand of Gamelon's shitty art. Cue multiple hours of you completely spazzing out on anyone who dares to suggest that art direction is not 100% what determines game quality and sales. I was just a curious guy who was watching the thread and commenting.

Like look at this shit! Look at it. You've spazzed out yet again as I was typing this in >>372789892 what the fuck is wrong with you? Do you get off on being aggressive for absolutely no reason or something?

Buy a dildo, shove it onto your prostate, put on a trip so I can filter you, and chill the fuck out, my man. Your life will improve.
>>
File: Antman1_FD_x2.gif (1MB, 400x444px) Image search: [Google]
Antman1_FD_x2.gif
1MB, 400x444px
>>372789525
I am this guy, by the way:
>>372789805

And I completely disagree with him
>>372789748

Modeling from reference is not needed, and will just limit your creativity in many cases.

>>372789892
Show me the professional level stuff you have made
>>
>>372789525
lack of experience
getting used to the modeling tools is a part of it
but mostly it's artistic skill. if you study correctly, you begin to understand things at an artistic level, and will be able to design and create without relying on reference (you may still use reference, but you won't be just copying, you'll only be referencing as a help to your original design)
but you have to study correctly to get this result. you can't just copy and expect to able to create things from your imagination after a while. as vilppu says, you don't copy the subject, you analyze it, and re-communicate it.
your goal as artist is greater understanding. for example, once you understand how a skull is structured, how it can be simplified, its basic forms, creating one from your imagination is simple.
my advice: try to make something from your imagination first. then get reference and correct all your millions of mistakes. this general method will help solidify the subject in your mind better and it will help enable you to work largely from your imagination.
for learning, reference is crucial. but again, don't just copy the reference. think about what your goal is. if you want to always rely on reference, then rely on reference. if you want to work from your imagination, you need to work from your imagination, then assess your work, compare it to reference, and fix it.
>>
>>372790005
>you misunderstood what someone was saying about Wand of Gamelon's shitty art
You outlined your point here clearly, and exposed your stupidity in the process. No need to backpedal like the moron you are.

>Like look at this shit! Look at it.
I think you're the one melting down. You might want to take your ritalin, idiot.
>>
>>372790024
>Modeling from reference is not needed, and will just limit your creativity in many cases.
t. amateur.

This is why your models will never compete with the professional standard.
>>
>>372790417
Yeah, that's what you said in the other post.
Are you going to post your 10/10 graphics yet, or are you outed as a bitter nodev?
>>
>>372789619
>coding knowledge

Kek, who is saying anything about coding, a lot of popular games are put together like crap but people enjoy it anyway because the game itself is interesting.

You sound like those people in the late 90's that shat on a game for the simple fact that it wasn't 3D.
>>
>>372790417
Post your models
>>
File: yandere.png (2MB, 2672x6068px) Image search: [Google]
yandere.png
2MB, 2672x6068px
>>
File: prototype.png (36KB, 894x423px) Image search: [Google]
prototype.png
36KB, 894x423px
Is the transition from GMS1 to 2 worth the investment? I've heard they added a darg'n drop system for coding and vice-versa to make it more interesting alongside other stuff (I also want to use the HTML5 module so that my demos can be playable directly online)

Pic related is the prototype of a game where I spent 30 minutes doing the coding by following a basic platformer coding tutorial and I understood almost nothing of it
>>
File: premireetapegms.png (177KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
premireetapegms.png
177KB, 1366x768px
>>372791675
fuck wrong pic
>>
>>372791675
your art needs to be better fag
>>
>>372791749
>atari style game
you have no hope
>>
File: 2017-04-03.png (173KB, 764x537px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-03.png
173KB, 764x537px
https://youtu.be/6aniF8N1Tpw
made a small vid of the current state, recently worked on graphics (weapons and hat visual change when equiped) + battle loop. some bugs to correct, then next steps will be a cinematic script "engine", basic enemy AI, then a few magic/skills to get what could be a "pre alpha" in the professional marketer buzzword language
>>
File: testrunbig5L.gif (7KB, 132x132px) Image search: [Google]
testrunbig5L.gif
7KB, 132x132px
>>372791814
>Not knowing it was a basic prototype with basic mask collision
>>
>>372791870
I always dreamed to remake Disgaea engine so I can do my take on game's balance.
>>
>>372791895
>not knowing it was a no-life shitposter who's spent the last 8 hours false flagging as gogem.pro to get your (You)
>>
>>372773187
Its free if you want to compile it yourself. It's literally just a make file
>>
File: Sin título-1 (3).png (14KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título-1 (3).png
14KB, 1600x900px
>>372755443
I'm a lazy-fag. Still with the paper concept.

Pic related is a main menu wannabe.
>>
>>372792048
Why would anyone false-flag as you?
All you do is shitpost anyway, and everyone already thinks you're a failure and a retard.

Literally nothing you do could make you look any worse.
>>
>>372793091
have you ever even checked the agdg discord? im one of the most productive people in these threads
>>
>>372793091
I dont like goog's art, his games, or his attitude, but I still respect him for having a game on steam.

Maybe thats not as meaningful of a milestone anymore, but its still more than most here will ever accomplish.
>>
>>372793470
You are the prime reason for why everyone wants to stay the fuck away from the """"AGDG"""" discord.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>372755443

my main character
>>
>>372793470
>im one of the most productive people in these threads
It's like when you see those 800 page sonic fanfics.
The writing is abysmal, the grammar doesn't improve one bit after years and years, and the complete insanity of the content is so off-putting that you question whether it is intentional or not.

No one is disputing your productivity, goog. We just say that you should stop.
You shouldn't take pride in shitting out shovelware which no one can possibly enjoy.
>>
>>372793659
that looks like a goon in a mutant experiments level
>>
>>372792019
balance is subjective. I will try to make all classes viable, but steamrolling enemies will probably be there because it's satisfying.
Still trying to find a way to inflate stats without relying on item stats.
>>
>>372782308
It's only shilling if you don't actually believe in your product.
>>
>>372794107
All ye who seek balance
Abandon all hope
>>
>>372793530
>I still respect him for having a game on steam.
that's like respecting someone for having a shit in the toilet
>>
>>372794176
My idea of balance is "have fun with your favorite team". I also want to avoid the shitty "3 dodecahedron" end game builds. aiming for a more classic "weapon/armor/hat/accessorie" item slots system.
also while I haven't put that on paper yet, I might remove random values of the battle entirely. so you always hit, speed is just the defense stat opposed to "hit" based attacks, just like def and res are for strength and int. In disgaea you tend to be in a "all or nothing" situation so it's not like it changes much, outside of some classes like ninjas, but there's other way to do that, like "avoid the first damage of the turn"
>>
>>372794426
More like respecting him for having shit on the dinner table, desu
>>
>>372794607
that's even less respectful, shit belongs in the toilet at least
>>
>>372793659
where's his dongus?
>>
>>372792625
>Pic related is a main menu wannabe.

Fun fact: 98% of the devs who start by making a main menu never finish their game
>>
>>372794549
"have fun with your favorite team" is highly idealistic, im sure that that is the dream of everyone who tries to balance their game.
>>
File: 16011601.jpg (24KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
16011601.jpg
24KB, 231x218px
>>372780223
>>372781113
>someone else doing something almost identical to you
>down to the prefab rooms with randomized stuff inside them

I-is it a first person dungeon crawler with perma-death, anon?
>>
I want to make a first person psychological survival horror game. One where you don't have any hud, any saves, or any menus. You have to find clues and solve puzzles to "win" but the current active puzzle and correct solution change regularly. And finding out what puzzle is currently available is an extra puzzle itself. Oh, and the environment changes too, so thats an additional thing players would have to juggle.

Failing a puzzle or taking too long causes the game to get spookier and more difficult until it eventually reverts to the previous level. Failing the first level is the only way to 'lose'.

Settings would be a library, an office building, a furniture store at night, and a cave, switching between the four regularly.
>>
>>372795239
you know how many games they are with pregenerated dungeons already? it's not a new or unique idea
>>
File: DEVFOODBROWNIES.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DEVFOODBROWNIES.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>372755443
took a break to eat some more brownies
remember fellow devs, true success comes from hard work and dedication
and you can't do that on an empty stomach
https://youtu.be/SOxw1nqJNOg
>>
>>372786861
would fuck/10
>>
>>372795293
If we count >>372780223 and >>372781113 I've probably seen 4-5 just in these threads. Someone else doing a similar thing to you isn't a problem anyway, and even if it was you can bet only one in a thousand of games posted will ever reach completion.
>>
>>372795141
Probably.
>>
>>372795281
Sounds like you want to make an unnecessarily repetitive game, which is awful
>>
>>372795145
Meh, in Disgaea it's pretty clear the devs want you to play the MC and a few other (usually a mage with heal, and a thief), but the rest are more like gimmicks tailored for a story map, or to make the item world artificially diverse.
It's common in Japanese games, you will find something better and abandon the older products, be it gear or team mates. Disgaea class unlock is just that.
>>
>>372787154
pretty good
>>
File: ffx wakka's pizza.jpg (72KB, 353x600px) Image search: [Google]
ffx wakka's pizza.jpg
72KB, 353x600px
>>372782612
which engine are you using?
>>
>>372787154
>fast racing
>that fog
is this battletoads?
>>
>>372791675
I've never used DnD for GM2, but 95% of GM2 is identical to GM Studio. Really it's just the new interface and layers, nothing else handy.
I wouldn't suggest upgrading yet, although the new interface has really grown on me.
>>
>>372791675
It is not worth the investment. Don't bother, really. The core is the same and the only thing changed is a couple of interfaces.
>>
3D is better than 2D in the current indie climate; at least if we're talking bland, uninspired pixelshit.

What's stopping you from learning Blender anon?
>>
>>372781548
>ultimately you can have a really good looking game that people will buy, but it wont be remembered two weeks later unless it has solid gameplay

Undertale wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't for the artstyle, the gameplay is not its most memorable factor

No one would've remembered it fondly if it had Hotline Miami graphics, they don't suit the theme of the game
>>
>>372799782
i'd say you are objectively wrong.
indie 3D is all absolute trash, low amount of content, low amount of polygons, low amount of everything you could want in a game
>>
>>372801182
>low amount of polygons
That's one way to admit you know nothing about 3D modeling, idiot.
>>
>>372801309
let's see what 3d game you made faggot
>>
File: rocket-2017-04-03.webm (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
rocket-2017-04-03.webm
1MB, 800x600px
>https://boustrophedon.itch.io/project-rocket
new level. need 6 more to finish this chapter
>>
>>372801647
None, I'm learning it right now.

I already know you know nothing about 3D though. Educate yourself before exposing your stupidity next time.
>>
>>372801656
looks like 0 replayability
>>
>>372795325
bald
>>
>>372801309
right, because all indies go for the highest polygon count they can manage
let's not pretend most don't cut as many corners as possible and still underperform in every way
>>
>>372801656
Looks like it'd work well as a rage game.
>>
>>372801182
>>372801647
>>372802069
>muh polygons

What the fuck are you autistic fucktards talking about? Do you even know what polycount is? Sounds to me like you have a 12 year old's idea of what makes an asset good.
>>
>>372802243
sorry faggot but no one is going to buy your shit game with shit tier art
>>
>>372802069
do you know how expensive polygons are? Unless you're working at an AAA studio you're looking at 10-20 cents a triangle and in even a modest game that can end up costing you hundreds of thousands. We have to cut every corner we can
>>
>>372801309
>>372802069
>>372802243
>games like Star Citizen need hundreds of millions of dollars to achieve 150k+ polygons in 1080p
>"durr ill make it in blender in an afternoon for my indie game"

Indies can't afford to use advanced techniques like larger games can (exempli grated: triangle batching), they have to work with less polygon capable engines like Unity and UE4 which really can't texture that many triangles at once. There are just too many polygons per pixel for indies to work with.
>>
>>372802419
oh wow making high quality 3d art and animating it properly is so easy, triple a companies like bioware can make it quick and flawless.
dude, don't downplay the fact that good 3D game requires the work of more than 1 person, it requires a whole team and that costs a shitton of money and work hours.
indie devs cannot compete in that regard
>>
>>372802721
Unreal Engine is the gold standard for commerical game engines, they can push just as many triangles as anything else, the challenge is creating high-resolution artwork
>>
>>372802419
>do you know how expensive polygons are?
Where are you getting your polygons from? When I open blender I get all my polygons for free.
>>
>>372802885
nice shilling faggot too bad the real challenge is making a good game
>>
>>372803520
yes Epic Games pays me to advertise their free game engine on 4chan
>>
>>372803405
If you use that open source shit your models will rot and break down halfway through development, you'll have dead vertices and missing edges everywhere. I've pirated a few million polygons myself and I'll just buy some legit once I've got my first game out
>>
Guys where can i buy more polygons\?
>>
File: main character.png (21KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
main character.png
21KB, 1024x1024px
made some slow progress on my pixel platformer
>>
>>372756292
spitty pixel games need to die
>>
File: demon owl.png (4KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
demon owl.png
4KB, 512x512px
>>372803975
here is an enemy
>>
why do so many indie's prefer pixelshit over simple drawings like paper mario
>>
>>372804097
easier :)
>>
>>372804097
because DUDE NOSTALGIA FOR THINGS I DIDNT PLAY BUT ROMANTICIZE ANYWAY BECAUSE POP CULTURE
>>
File: Normal_map_example.png (286KB, 963x543px) Image search: [Google]
Normal_map_example.png
286KB, 963x543px
>>372802069
>>372802885
Still harping on about poly count like the clueless idiot you are?

Here's a tip: look up what normal mapping is.
>>
File: original.jpg (88KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
88KB, 600x338px
>>372804057
Please give it the Ninja Gaiden's hawk AI.
>>
>>372804097
personally it covers up my poor animation skills while still looking appealing.

but it also sets a clear level of quality or all assets due to pixel limitations
>>
>>372804491
the arrow needs work
too many mixels
>>
File: 1488802766634.jpg (245KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1488802766634.jpg
245KB, 850x850px
>>372755443
YES I'V BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS!!!
>>
File: 1401159711242.jpg (14KB, 391x379px) Image search: [Google]
1401159711242.jpg
14KB, 391x379px
>>372786243
>something fast, skill based
>abilities
>>
>>372804471
looks like a fine piece of shit, can't do any better than that faggot?
>>
>>372802069
Stop talking about shit you don't understand. You can open up a basic shape in ZBrush, sculpt it for 30 minutes, and get a decent result with BILLIONS of polygons. The problem is you can't use high poly models like that in games.
>>
>>372804491
I looked into how they moved and I like how they swoop at you. So I'll try
>>
>>372804902
I pulled that off google.

You've already embarrassed yourself by pretending you understand how 3D modeling works when you don't know shit. Anything else to add?
>>
File: 1484358229112.png (563KB, 867x766px) Image search: [Google]
1484358229112.png
563KB, 867x766px
>>372769405
I have a dream
>>
>spend half a decade working on some over ambitious shit with a bunch of people
>everyone gets bored and leaves and it all falls apart except for like 3 people
>despite this, still press on and it actually looks like it's going to get finished and end up being what we wanted to make, at that
>already lost all interest in everything about the game and only working on it because i want to see it finished
i dont even know how to feel, i guess it's better than ending up like all the burnout retards here, but fuck.
>>
>>372804905
sure polygon autist, you can make infinite polygon art pieces, the thing is that doesn't matter when you don't fucking make a good game out of it which was the actual point
indie games are trash, the higher their polygon count the worse the game they make so most make low poly trash games
now go fap to your "art" and fuck off
>>
>>372782347
don't kid yourself

the more people know about your game, the better it will sell, regardless of quality, just look at bethesda and bioware
>>
>>372782612
you're my hero, I think your game looks just right
>>
File: automata.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
automata.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Reposting my new boss fight
Every automaton in the background has it's own bullet type and appropriate patterns.
Still need a good name for them though; I was thinking of 'Ennead Automata' in reference to the nine egyptian deities, though it doesn't sound kewl enough
>>
>>372805913
One hit kills?
>>
So your Kingdom is under siege by modders, turning everyone into six foot tall bimbos?
>>
>>372791675
the room editor seems to have improved tremendously from the buggy pos that GMS had

but other than that I don't really see much reason to do that right now
>>
>>372805457
>sure polygon autist, you can make infinite polygon art pieces, the thing is that doesn't matter when you don't fucking make a good game out of it which was the actual point
You are literally braindead. It's IMPOSSIBLE to run a game at high poly. Game devs, inlcluding AAA ones NEVER think about their poly count.
>>
>>372806325
don't project too much autist, maybe i'll need to spell it out for you but i won't bother so i'll just keep it simple
Indie devs don't make high quality 3D games, they can but it would be a short "game" or walk simulator which takes years to make.
Indie devs only make low quality 3D games, which usually have a low polygon count.

now stop imagining things while masturbating about polygons, no one really cares about polygons unless it looks ugly as sin.
>>
>>372806845
>which usually have a low polygon count.
The more you mention polygons, the more of an idiot you are.

Geralt from The Witcher 3 is low-poly. Again, you would know this if you weren't a moron.
>>
>>372807050
yes the witcher 3 is a prime example of what every indie studio is capable off, an excellent point autist. clearly you have bested me and now you can finally go to blender and make more artworks for your deviantart
>>
>>372755443
What the fuck did Untiy 5.6 do with Sprites-Diffuse?

They're all translucent now
>>
File: Cliffracer.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Cliffracer.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>372781856
>here have been hundreds of successful games with generated content and randomization that are also tons of fun.

Successful, sure, but I still take offense to games like the TES series having static dungeons made from pre-built sections. Having infinite possibilities at your fingertips but deciding to ignore all that potential for the sake of "Artist placed" "professionally designed" levels that still all end up feeling copy-pasted... oh boy. Its almost like they planed for random-gened dungeons but couldn't write a cohesive algorithm.

Its a double edged sword though - I remember Todd going on about all forests and trees in Oblivion being placed by an algorithm during E3, and that countryside ended up droving. Me. Nuts.
>>
>>372807050
the witcher is definitely not low-poly what are you smoking
>>
>>372807818
The Witcher 3 is an example of a triple A studio using low-poly models, which disproves all the idiocy you've been spouting.

Sorry you were born with a brain defect.
>>
>>372808357
Yes it is you moron. Again, learn about 3D before making idiotic assumptions.

Every single character model in the AAA gaming industry is low-poly.
>>
>>372808483
>Every single character model in the AAA gaming industry is low-poly.
Compared to what, animated film or CGI special effects? High-poly/low-poly is relative to whatever industry or medium it's used in.
>>
>>372808483
... you ridiculous autist, you were arguing about the semantics of the term low-poly? have you never seen how few polygons 3d indie games can be?
jesus christ what's wrong with you
>>
>>372808713
Compared to whatever made up standard you have in your head.

The point is that more polygons does not equal more/harder work, contrary to retard belief. The exception is if you're box modeling, which hasn't been the standard for several years.
>>
>>372808905
So you consider AAA games to be low-poly? Then what would you call a game that's like Minecraft? "Super-low-poly"?
>>
>>372808892
You were stupid enough to try and debate things you have no understanding of. If an indie game is low-poly, it's by design choice, and for the umpteenth time, you would know this if you weren't a blithering, uninformed idiot.
>>
>>372808905
anon i think making a model of 500 polygons is harder work than making a model of 50 polygons
>>
>>372809040
>So you consider AAA games to be low-poly?
They ARE low-poly, retard. What do you think retopology is for?

>Then what would you call a game that's like Minecraft? "Super-low-poly"?
Minecraft's visuals were a stylistic choice that suited the game.

For baseline standard 3D Games, character models won't have any more polygons than Geralt does.
>>
>>372809068
yeah no you definitely forced it into a irrelevant spergfest on what low poly means to you
>>
>>372809078
Except it isn't. You. Idiot.

Learn how Zbrush works or stop discussing things you don't understand.
>>
>tfw i have a massive design document for everything but story
>but i'm so shit at coding that i can't even make a basic 4-directional movement system in gamemaker
>>
>>372809213
So you're saying a AAA game like Witcher 3 falls under the same category of "low-poly" as Minecraft?
>>
>>372809279
that's complete bullshit
>>
>>372809215
Sorry, you just demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of 3D modeling, and as a result, I can only correctly label you a moron.
>>
>>372809213
in the games industry when you use the term 'low poly' you're usually referring to models like they used to make before normal mapping because a thing
otherwise you're basically just calling everything low poly so the term becomes redundant
>>
>>372809308
Way to put words into my mouth.

>>372809360
Thank you for once again proving your stupidity and that you don't know shit.
>>
>>372809363
sorry you showed everyone how much of an autist you really are

keep on fighting the polygon fight brother
>>
>>372809452
m8 you can stop pretending to know what you are talking about
>>
File: aim center.png (411KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aim center.png
411KB, 1920x1080px
Made an aiming offset.

Turns out having the hands track to the weapon rather than having the weapon parented to the hands is a bad idea for bad times.
>>
>>372809387
>in the games industry when you use the term 'low poly' you're usually referring to models like they used to make before normal mapping because a thing
Oh, you mean 15 years ago? Maybe get with the times, retard.

and learn what retopology is while you're at it.
>>
>>372809462
>>372809553
>no argument
No problem. Such is the nature of idiots who think they know 3D but don't.
>>
>>372763184
what engine / framework do you use? i have something similar in mind but i doubt i can pull this off in pygame.
>>
>>372809571
>Oh, you mean 15 years ago?
Yes. If you make a game today with that art style it's referred to a 'low poly'. The Witcher 3 is not low poly. It may be low poly in comparsion to offline rendering, but in the game industry that's just normal. It's not referred to as low poly.
>>
File: which.png (2MB, 1964x1954px) Image search: [Google]
which.png
2MB, 1964x1954px
>>372755443
Which game should I work on /v/?
>>
>>372809963
All of them
>>
>>372786629
I feel like it'd be a better idea if the two groups weren't seperated.
You can still split it with the water/river down the middle but have one loop of walls around the whole thing. It would be far more belieable.
>>
>>372809641
dude you lost all credibility when you call the witcher 3 a low poly game
>>
>>372809835
GMS

it is pretty fun to make
>>
>>372809963
the one in the middle looks the most visually appealing
>>
>>372809902
>If you make a game today with that art style it's referred to a 'low poly'
Except models like that are never made today unless they're minecraft or lego, because sculpting is way more practical IE- the way Geralt was made.

Anyone who says 3D indie games suck because they're "low poly" is a dead set moron who doesn't understand 3D modeling. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>372810184
>idiot still doesn't understand how zbrush and retopology works
What a shock
>>
>>372810284
3d indie games suck because they are bad and short games like portal 1
>>
>>372810284
>Except models like that are never made today unless they're minecraft or lego
they are, it's just not as common
>>
>>372810267
>>372810149

Okay, middle one it is.
>>
>>372810369
just because the in-game models have less polys than their source does not make it 'low poly'
>>
>>372810501
what kind of game is it anyway
>>
>>372810284
Well not to compare my game to the likes of AAA studios, but I don't sculpt my stuff, I do it the old fashion way and it isn't Minecraft/Lego tier art. Well I like to think not at least.
>>372773231
>>
>>372810583
You can make a human like shape with literally billions more polys than Geralt before retopologizing it with X amount of triangles. That alone trashes your idiotic initial viewpoint and proves you know nothing about 3D.
>>
>>372810584
Hearthstone but real time and some micro. Focused on different magic types as classes. (Necromancy and Druidism are in the game atm.)
>>
>>372810602
Just because you don't doesn't mean 3D Sculpting is any less viable for indie developers, contrary to what a retard initially suggested.
>>
>>372810856
yes you can, that does not make the final result 'low poly'
and you're on an anonymous message board retard, im not the same person as whoever you're having your stupid argument with
>>
>>372810946
it kind of isn't really, 3d games aren't just sculptures, you need animation too and depending on the kind of game you need alot of it unless your project stays in dev hell
>>
>>372811059
Actually you are, and I can tell by your posting style. Once again, you'd realize this if you weren't an idiot.
>>
>>372811159
lol
>>
>>372811157
Animation had nothing to do with the original guy's point about indie games being "low-poly".
>>
>>372809835
Not him but people need to stop thinking "x game cant be made in y framework". Sure sometimes certain frameworks can make aspects easier than others but bottom line you can make anything in any framework. Being comfortable in a language is much more valuable than finding the "right" language/framework/engine.
>>
>>372811159
don't fucking tell me you are that art faggot that kept trolling everyone

why are you still not having your bedtime sleep you worthless faggot
>>
>>372811246
That settles it then, your stupidity has been proven and you have 0 understanding of 3D art.
>>
>>372811226
... i'm not talking about your original guy, i'm talking about the reality of making a proper video game
>>
>>372811357
yup that confirms it, deflect everything while keep talking about the importance of ART in vidya gaims

atleast you bump the thread but at what cost my friend?
>>
>>372811373
Then why reply to me?

For what it's worth, 3D rigging and animation is a lot easier than GOOD 2D animation.
>>
File: 1484381362576.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1484381362576.png
16KB, 958x660px
>>372769405
I derive no enjoyment from this hobby if I do not have absolute control over every aspect of the project
>>
>>372811484
Confirms what?

I'm sorry you spent all this time embarrassing yourself trying to discuss something you don't understand.
>>
>>372811243
>bottom line you can make anything in any framework
this isnt really true but given the person likely to be asking probably has less than a months experience in gamedev it might aswell me
>>
>>372782612
I love 2.5d
I will suck your dick for this
>>
>>372769405
I'm making an MMO and I'm at the server/engine creation phase so that's a no no
>duude mongoDB lmao
>duude lets use unity
>duude make the combat like devil may cry but its openworld
>>
>>372811598
eh, more like you took what i said out of context while deliberately missing my original point to sperg out about low-poly which only you care about.
so when are you going to show off your work, i've been waiting to see what you are capable of
>>
>>372813090
Nah, you shat on the idea of 3D indie dev citing low poly models. That alone shows what an idiot you are.
>>
>>372782612
this looks like lots of fun

keep using plain textured blocks to plan the levels out, then when you're happy with the gameplay flow in the levels, design some less blocky scenery to replace things or add decorations, look at kirby 64's simple but interesting backgrounds

also maybe draw the landing animation instead of using scale to 'squish' the sprite, which makes his head look like it's growing bigger, and maybe a few extra frames for when the frog changes direction, it's too abrupt right now

double jump is nice and fluid though

neat text console too
>>
>>372811521
this
and it's much more flexible, easy to tweak

modifying 2d animation is difficult and takes even longer to learn how to do properly
>>
File: 1484196120016.gif (1MB, 257x200px) Image search: [Google]
1484196120016.gif
1MB, 257x200px
>>372809286
Isn't this just setting speed while the button is pressed?
Though I am not judging, I also get stuck on the (theoretically) simplest concepts. Me spilling water over the keyboard recently didn't help progress either.
You just have to keep at it, anon.
>>
>>372769405
people are flakey and people will not dedicate themselves to some phantom project when they're not being paid, and who knows if they'll even gallop in the right direction

if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

besides, it's good experience, designing it all and making it work, and there's no way anyone will take you seriously until you have a functioning prototype

just having nice 3d models is not enough to convince anyone you're capable of finishing a game
>>
>>372755443
That better be that asian man in the water
Thread posts: 477
Thread images: 98

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.