[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /v/, how do I become a 'content creator' and get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: file.png (202KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
202KB, 1280x800px
Hey /v/, how do I become a 'content creator' and get paid to play videogames for a living?

Any of you guys have a successful channel? When does 'successful' start? 10k subs?

How many views do you need to make a living wage off this shit?
>>
Get a job nigger
>>
File: 1417245765225.jpg (46KB, 695x599px) Image search: [Google]
1417245765225.jpg
46KB, 695x599px
>>363313324
In my yuropoor country it works like this
>pick popular phone game with pack openings
>make whacky thumbnails with "O" faces
>CAPS LOCK TITLE YOU WON'T BELIEVE
>rack in the views and money
>look at my 12 yr old brother while he slurps up these kinds of videos by the dozen and lose a little bit of my humanity every second
If I wasn't such a lazy shit, I would gladly sell my soul to the youtube jew and cash out
>>
>>363313754
do you have to decide between making good content and popular content?
>>
>>363313834
making good content that is popular is EXTREMELY hard, and just a handful of people managed to be just that. Most of the popular channels in my country are described in my previous post.
>>
>>363313967
Well... fuck. Even if you don't need high living costs? I don't want to be a millionaire, just do something I enjoy and make enough to get by.
>>
Over 30k regular views on every video if you put out quality content multiple times per week. Subs don't matter because you can have 200k subs and only 10k views on every video, which isn't really a living unless it's daily. Simply playing games won't get you there, you have to be charismatic and funny too. You should also learn to edit video, because one 20 minute video will usually be made up of a few hours of gameplay if you want to make decent content, which is the only way you'll get views.
Honestly, it's almost easier to be a wageslave. You wouldn't get popular for a long time, even with great content, unless you got lucky.
>>
>>363314021
there is this one youtube channel that lives off of patreon doing in depth Dark Souls videos, playthroughs and whatnot. Kind of like my country's Vaati. Managed to get himself a loyal and polite fanbase and gets about 30k visuals per video. It requires a LOT of dedication and is able to live comfortably.
>>
>>363313324
you wont find a way playing video games. I'd try some whatever other braindead content is popular right now.
>>
>>363313324
>using content created by other companies and calling it your content is acceptable on youtube

when did we become china
>>
>>363313324
I actually have a buddy that works as an editor for these sorts of things.

What you first have to understand is that there is a VERY diverse methodology by how different channels earn their money. For example, pewdiepie himself has a large enough viewerbase to make well into 6 digits yearly by adsense alone. Conglomerates like the Yogscast are more difficult to finance due to more employees and higher production quality, so they make ads and the like occasionally. Then you have people like Totalbiscuit that earn money through retention, so he focuses on fairly long videos. Or even the Jimquisition that makes six figs on patreon alone.

If you're really serious about starting up though, just do it on the side of your job. Make videos in a stable format. If you're an engaging person, post full playthroughs. If you're more of a highlights dude, edit down the content to ~12 mins. Most importantly, upload in a consistent and formulaic fashion. It's absolutely what retains viewers.

Always keep it in your mind that even though you're having fun with vidya, you are, to the viewer, an entertainer, a critic, or an informer. Your content should always be a hybrid of your own interests and what your viewers sometimes request. Obviously don't do retarded shit like play whatever game is popular just because 2 dudes spammed about it. Sometimes audience engagement can be as simple as responding to 10 comments daily or fielding a strawpoll for your next game.

That being said, a solid 300k per week can, w/ adsense, get you a solid income. Money's higher if you do it via video retention, but you have to be a REALLY engaging personality to hold people for more than the golden 12 mins.

In the end, always remember to have fun. Your content is vidya, so do what you enjoy in vidya. Play MGR and sperg at Armstrong. Or play Beyond Two Souls and shit all over David Cage for a while. Do what you love. It's your channel

Feel free to ask anything else.
>>
>>363315016
Not him, but could you explain what the logical progression of money-making is like? I have a channel with about 8k subs and I got my first ad offer (game gear company since my channel is a combo of pc building and gaming) but I'm not sure about it.
>>
>>363313324
Be a woman and have tits.

If you're not a woman, you're too late to get in.
>>
>>363315347
Congrats on your ad offer bro. That's usually a really good sign of your channel's legitimacy.

Making money via YT/Twitch is a difficult beast. It's not necessarily HARD so much as it is confusing. It runs off of a system that reaches a midpoint then regresses. To explain:

When you first begin your videos, your channel will primarily get income through adsense. As you start getting bigger (5k-10k subs), you start getting your first smaller ad offers. It is ABSOLUTELY crucial that it's a decent one. If your offer is to advert a tech site, always clearly state that it's an ad and paid.

After that you reach a combo of ad and and adsense balance. Following this you might start getting larger ads. Lastly, you can move back do adsense completely.
>>
You need to be decent at games and somewhat funny, and edit out the slow shitty parts of games. Don't act like DSP or some idiot like that.
>>
File: 1483303334027.jpg (143KB, 962x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1483303334027.jpg
143KB, 962x1063px
>content creator

What a retarded term. The whole thing was made up so Let's Players and Youtube Reactors could lump themselves up with musicians, artists, writers, and developers.
>>
File: 1427746036572.gif (150KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1427746036572.gif
150KB, 500x333px
>>363313324
R8 my channel, fages.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ParkerPetersPlays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1LYskzOO4
>>
>>363313324
Record some LPs, keep doing that and gain a following over the course of 5 to 8 years.
>>
>>363315016
not op but
>If you're really serious about starting up though, just do it on the side of your job. Make videos in a stable format. If you're an engaging person, post full playthroughs. If you're more of a highlights dude, edit down the content to ~12 mins. Most importantly, upload in a consistent and formulaic fashion. It's absolutely what retains viewers.

This is kind of what I'm trying to do, it's DnD footage, not videogames but I noticed there's a lack of edited down DnD campaigns, it's all raw stream uploads that are 4 hours long so I've edited out everything that isn't funny or pertinent and given it a HBO show style intro.
If anyone has comments or feedback on my content which I just finished and uploaded this morning it would be appreciated.

This is part 0 but desu it gets good from part 1 which is why I made this like an optional primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHiootE1cg
>>
>>363317086
you now realize "artists" and others are more worthless than someone playing videogames
>>
File: C1YRM8pUsAEbhDt.jpg (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
C1YRM8pUsAEbhDt.jpg
44KB, 600x450px
>>363317086

I get that it's a word you find unpalatable but, get this, as humans we have to name and label shit to make communication simpler. "Content creator" is a pretty useful term to describe someone who creates youtube content
>>
>tfw not abnormally good at vidya
>tfw have no unique personality
>>
>>363317393
Your voice and face don't make you seem inherently punchable like most people that post their literally who channels, so you have that going for you friend. Serviceable review although I don't see you standing out from crowd of 'content creators' atm.
>>
>>363319440
Im glad Im not inherently punchable. Ill take that as a win.
>>
>>363313324
kill yourself on livestream, you'll get a ton of viewers.
>>
>>363320105
can't enjoy the money if you ded though.
>>
>>363320231
the eternal conundrum of killing yourself for money.
>>
>>363320231
can't enjoy the money if your ded on da inside either. tink about it.
>>
>>363313324
I got 10k subs
Got an actuall letter from Youtube them self in the fucking mail
They ended up giving me 500NOK a month and increasing
>Battlefield 3 videos
>Ea suddnly starts monitizing their games on youtube
And thats when I never maid a penny later of youtube.
>>
>>363320637
>500NOK
>about £50

how much were you outputting, was it worth it?
>>
1. Do I have to show my face to get viewers, realistically?
2. Do I have to talk to get viewers, realistically?
3. Is it actually realistic to just record playing video games and upload with minimum editing, other than trimming downtime?
>>
>>363320872
you have to entertain the viewers if you want viewers, just playing the game authistically won't get you anywhere, unless you're like the best ever at it.
>>
>>363313324
Generally 10k views = $1 with adsense.
>>
>>363320963
So people don't actually want to watch video games, instead they want to listen to an entertaining guy talking fun stuff.
>>
>Ross scott has been making make great quality videos for longer than virtually all youtubers
>Forgotten / unknown by most of youtube

This world is very cruel and unfair
>>
File: Jesus takes the wheel GTAV.webm (3MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus takes the wheel GTAV.webm
3MB, 1080x608px
>>363320716
Didn't output shit, we were just playing normaly being autisc screaming with friends and having a good time, while the recording did its thing.
Granted I had to take maybe 1 hour shifting through recorded shit and peeling out the fun stuff up to 4 min worth of laughs.
Then the editing that could take a couple of hours, with crafting and research making every new video better and improved.
Then the rendering which I did at night to then upload when the americans got up.

DIdnt cost me anything apart from some hours infront of the pc.. but I was multitasking anyways

Started doing it cause it was fun and seeing the reaction of my irl friends that I was playing with laughing at our old jokes are just as entertaining.
Even more so now.. cause its so many years ago
>>
>>363313324
>Be chad or a woman
>Done
>>
File: youtube.png (37KB, 1137x577px) Image search: [Google]
youtube.png
37KB, 1137x577px
2 million views a month for this for my channel.
>>
>>363313324
If you want to make content for YouTube, do it for fun.

If you're doing it for money you're only going to get mad.
>>
>>363321263
what sort of working hours go in to a revenue like this
>>
File: 1483939839369.jpg (106KB, 672x668px) Image search: [Google]
1483939839369.jpg
106KB, 672x668px
>>363321263
Bastard. I will shill Ublock everywhere.
>>
>>363321501
I wake up, eat breakfast, dick around. Then maybe put out a video every few days or so. Repeat x infinity.
>>
>>363321603
Ancientreality pls go
>>
>>363313324
I want to start a channel where I read stuff and make commentary on stuff, I got the voice for it and even a bunch of friends and fans from my streams that want me to. My issue is that I don't know what to do it about. I can never think of anything I'd like to read or comment on for a video.
>>
>>363321804

then you arent fucking cut out for it, autist.

what the fuck. "hurr I think I should do this but I cant, mommy help meeee"

Also streamers are fucking cancer anime fag. Drink some fucking bleach
>>
>>363322000
Why are you so upset, and you get double dub trips too.

You sound like a manlet that has a dead youtube channel and can't even get viewers.
>>
>>363322056
He's got a point though. Usually the idea of what you want to talk about comes before deciding that you want to record shit and upload it to YT.
>>
>>363313324
If you don't have charisma, you won't get far.
>>
>>363322056

You sound like someone who spouts buzzwords like manlets and actually tries to create youtube content.

Nope, I am a crisp 6 foot tall with absolutely zero youtube content. because I dont watch spergs play video games. I laugh at them on tibetan tire rotation forums.
>>
>>363322279
Well I mostly want to do it cause people have asked me to do it.
I've had a lot of requests from people to either read stuff for them (be it news articles, short stories or even smut) or to just start a second YT channel separate from my streams where I read different kinds of things and do commentaries. Personally I only really am invested in streaming, but apparently the main draw of my viewers is my voice and personality, and they want more of that outside of streams.
Stuff like when I comment or talk about balance and game mechanics is something everyone seems to love when I do, but I only ever do it when people ask specific questions, I don't come up with the desire to talk about it on my own.

I guess I'll never do it.
>>
File: 1460286074475.jpg (81KB, 556x592px) Image search: [Google]
1460286074475.jpg
81KB, 556x592px
>>363322343
>manlet is a buzzword
>>
"successful" is subjective. Most channels never make a livable wage off of ads, and instead use paid sponsorships to make their real money. Like cinemassacre.

Most of the people who make money on youtube exploit a trend, and exploit it hard.

I made about $6,000 USD from the galaxy shit before they unmonetized all the videos. The new thing right now is 1000 degree knife videos.
>>
Chaterbate is more profitable
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.